Start by marking “Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)” as Want to Read:
Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)

Read Book* *Different edition

Shadows of Self

(The Mistborn Saga #5)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  107,938 ratings  ·  6,120 reviews
Shadows of Self shows Mistborn’s society evolving as technology and magic mix, the economy grows, democracy contends with corruption, and religion becomes a growing cultural force, with four faiths competing for converts.

This bustling, optimistic, but still shaky society now faces its first instance of terrorism, crimes intended to stir up labor strife and religious confli
Published October 6th 2015 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Shadows of Self, please sign up.
McSteve I think you're confusing "Darker" and "Adult". I worry that you're not letting yourself enjoy some really cool books, simply because you associate two…moreI think you're confusing "Darker" and "Adult". I worry that you're not letting yourself enjoy some really cool books, simply because you associate two things that aren't inherently linked. If you need to read edgy books to feel mature, then you're going to miss a lot of neat stuff.

However, the books do get darker, and Bands of Mourning in particular is several shades closer to the feel of the original trilogy. If you push through, I think you'll find yourself enjoying them more and more as you progress.(less)

·  107,938 ratings  ·  6,120 reviews

Start your review of Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)
❄️BooksofRadiance❄️
4.75⭐️

JUST HOLD THE FUCK UP. THAT ENDING! H... HOW!
Leave it to Sanderson to come out of the left field and soccer punch you right in the brain! That's right, you COULD get soccer punched in the brain. It's a risk one has to take when picking up his book.

Honestly, I'm very hesitant to say anything so as not to run the risk of spoiling too much as his renown lies in his unexpected plot twists and intriguing-as-hell narrative turns.
But what I CAN say is that the narrative begins and ends with a ba
Sean Barrs
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These new mistborn books are essentially crime-thrillers set in the same world a few hundred years later. They work so well. We have all the world building we’re used to, and the glorious action, but we also have the tension and mystery created by hunting down an unknown assailant, an unknown foe. The result is more of Sanderson’s excellence with a very cool twist.

Explosive plot

Sanderson’s writing is concise and quick. Wax’s story is easy to become engaged in. He begins by following a series
Lindsey Rey
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, favorites, fantasy
Sanderson is the very embodiment of magic, great writing, and amazing adventures. PERFECTION.
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
It's no secret I think Brandon Sanderson can do no wrong... Except for Steelheart but we don't talk about Steelheart...

With that said I'm REALLY not a fan of Westerns so I've been a bit worried about the second series in the Mistborn universe.

I do like the friendship and banter between the main characters. I still love the magic system and universe (it was great to see more of it in book 2!). The murder-mystery vibe is nice... but it's still a Western lol

Will continue the series because it's sti
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: year-2017, 5-star
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

Ya'll, my reviews for Mistborn are getting repetitive but in case you didn't already know I love this series with every chamber of my blackened heart.

This new series feels like a love letter to fans who adored the original trilogy.

There's so much here to love. These books are purely additive to the original, they're existence only enhances your experience as a reader and a fan.

I just can't even wrap my head around the idea that someone can have all of this magnificence ju
Robin (Bridge Four)
Super fast re-read with some friends at Buddies Books and Baubles before Bands of Mourning.

Knowing the ending made certain parts of this book just heartbreaking. I love that almost every BS book I reread I enjoy just as much if not more the second time through. All the original Mistborn nostalgia was FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!

4.5 Faceless Immortal Stars
The Fan Girl Part of My Review
Deal with it he is like my FAVORITE fantasy author….but there will be a real review below this

I am in AWE yet
Matt's Fantasy Book Reviews
Check out my new youtube channel where I show my instant reactions to reading fantasy books seconds after I finish the book.

While better than the last book, it's still a surprisingly large step down from the quality of the original Mistborn series

I loved the original Mistborn series, and I have it in my top 15 best fantasy series of all time, but was severely disappointed by the first book in the 2nd era of these books for a multitude of reasons. So going into this second entry in the 2nd er
Petrik
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 Stars

I mentioned before in my Alloy of Law review that any Mistborn fans should definitely continue with Mistborn era 1.5 despite the fact it doesn't have the epic fantasy strength and grand scope like before. Well, I stand by my words and I continue to encourage you more to read them, especially after reading Shadows of Self, you'll realize even more just how damn great Sanderson is.

As its sequel, Shadows of Self improved A LOT upon the foundation laid down by Alloy of Law, whether it's i
Luna. ✨
Samantha
May 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this second installment much more than the first as it made more connections to the original trilogy. It felt like it was building a bigger story. Also, the ending was a stellar Sanderson ending that, yet again, I did not see coming.
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
Wow, this was underwhelming... SAID NO ONE EVER!

Wtf was that Sanderson? Did I hurt you in your past life or something? Why are you doing this to me? 😭

If Wayne died at the end thinking about his favorite hat, I'm gonna cry like a mofo! I need someone to love me like he loves his hats 😂
✨ A ✨
How did I go about daily life before I read Brandon Sanderson?? I cant even remember what my life was like before these books.

“She had a way of pouring everything of herself into what she did. When she fought, she was the blade. When she loved, she was the kiss. In that regard, she was far more … human than any I have known.”

Elendel is no longer a peaceful and prosperous city that Harmony and the Originators left behind. Society is evolving and with that comes corruption.

The city is on th
Sanaa
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
[4.5 Stars] My emotions! I'll try to write a more coherent review when, "Ahhhhhh I loved it aahhhhhhh," isn't the only thing I can think of. ...more
Celeste
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Full(ish) review now posted!

Be forewarned. This is less of a review and more of a gush session over Sanderson’s craftsmanship in building the world of Scadrial in the Mistborn books.

I read Alloy of Law last year and, while I liked it, I didn’t feel driven to continue reading about the exploits of Wax and Wayne. I had no idea what I was missing. While I really enjoyed The Alloy of Law the second time I read it, Shadows of Self by far surpassed it. This is a book I feel is on par with the rest of
Ikram
“I ain’t drunk,” Wayne said, sniffling. “I’m investigatin’ alternative states of sobriety.”

Sanderson has done it again. If you haven't read Mistborn yet, what are you doing with your life?

The Sanderson Avalanche
So If you're not familiar with Brandon Sanderson, there's this thing he does with pretty much all of his books called the 'Sanderson Avalanche' It usually starts at some point during the last 100 pages and it will blow your brains off.

Plot twist after plot twist after plot twist. And t
Gavin
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This was every bit as good as The Alloy of Law. The whole Mistborn series really is fantastic reading!

Wax, Wayne, and Marasi are back on the case of another mystery. This time they need to stop an assassin from killing the governor of Elendel. To complicate matters they also have to stop the civil unrest in Elendel from boiling over into a full blown riot.

The story was a ton of fun. The Wild West setting is still proving highly entertaining and the story was highly addictive and engaging. It wa
Ahmad Sharabiani
Shadows of Self (Mistborn #5), Brandon Sanderson

Mistborn: Shadows of Self is a high fantasy novel, written by American author Brandon Sanderson. It was published on October 6, 2015 by Tor Books and is the second book in the Wax and Wayne series and fifth in the Mistborn series. It is preceded by The Alloy of Law in 2011 and followed by The Bands of Mourning in 2016.

In a flashback, Waxillium Ladrian first meets his future wife Lessie on a bounty hunt, where they work together to bag a powerful cr
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
A quick re-read before the release of The Bands of Mourning... 26 Jan 2016 update - just as good as the first time. No. No, it was better this time.

Wow. That was hectic. Another great story by a master of fantasy. The second book in this series is just as good if not better than the first.

You don’t need to think about this too much. This was written by Brandon Sanderson. Buy it. Read it. Bask in the glow.

The future of the city of Elendel is balancing on a knife’s edge. Someone or something is t
Lee
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Me.

All day.

Every day.

Every time I read this book.

No matter how many times I read it.

I am not even lying when I say that the ending to this book touches me in my very soul.

It might be one of the slowest Mistborn books, but HOLY CRAP it's so good. And also completely necessary to truly appreciate the characters and the story to come.

I tend to not really leave reviews for Sanderson books. Sorry. It's not even worth wasting my time leaving a detailed review. Just please read these books i
Hamad
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

“The law is not something holy, son. It’s just a reflection of the ideals of those lucky enough to be in charge.”

The Final Empire ★★★★ 1/2
The Well of Ascension ★★★★★
The Hero of Ages ★★★★ 1/4
The Alloy of Law ★★★★ 1/4
Shadows of Self ★★★ 1/2

If you look at my above ratings of the whole series so far you would notice that this is my least favorite in the mistborn series so far. The last book surprised me in a very good wa
Choko
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*** 4.66 ***

This ending broke my heart for all involved!!! I might come back to write a real review, but at this moment the only thing I want to do is jump on the next book, because I am dying to know what happens and how things will go from here on out... I love the easy way Sanderson makes us fall in love with the characters and makes us root and care for them, even when they are really flawed, and in some cases, love them because of their imperfections and obsessive compulsive behavior 🙂🤗❤️!
Markus
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, fantasy, cosmere
"The days of heroes has passed. The stories of people breaking out of history belong to another world. We have reached an era of modernism, both louder and more silent at the same time."

An author like Sanderson doesn't write bad books, and I have enjoyed everything I've read by him. But I feel like every single M
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Originally reviewed at The Speculative Herald

A lot of the books that I’m excited for in 2015 are actually releasing quite late this year, so as we sauntered into fall and said good bye to summer, I was getting ready to say hello to a couple of my most anticipated titles. Shadows of Self was most definitely near the top of that list. I’m a big fan of Brandon Sanderson, and I absolutely loved The Alloy of Law – probably more than all three books of the original Mistborn trilogy put together, so sm
Kitty G Books
Totally almost forgot to review this but better late than never so here goes!

I was very excited about the release of this book (although no where near as excited as I will be for Calamity or Stormlight #3) as I hadn't had any fresh Sanderson for a while and with this being the return to the Mistborn world I was hoping for a good story. This is certainly a likeable story, but for me I kind of hoped for a little more from Sanderson, and whilst I appreciate that this is a new 'era' of Mistborn, I
Ashley
October 2021: Still love this. Neat to see the pieces set up beforehand.

I will be honest with you. I do not want to write this review. Sometimes you just don't want to make thoughts about the things you love. But I have to write this review, at least 250 words, because of made up commitments that I could totally ignore if I really wanted to, but instead hold myself to anyway, because apparently doing that is something my subconscious enjoys.

This book, as theorized, was even better on re-read.
Warda
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[4.5]
I'm dead. That avalanche ending has worn me out to the fullest. I'm emotionally exhausted to the point I feel dead inside.

RTC. Or not.
Bea
THAT LAST LINE MADE ME SO EMOTIONAL
Mario
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own-read, own
No, freedom was not lack of responsibilities—it was being able to do what was right, without having to worry if it was also wrong.

(view spoiler)

Now that I've gotten that out of my system, let's get on with the review (well I'm gonna call this review, even though I have no idea in what it will turn out to be).

This book. This damn book. After I've finished Alloy of Law I had very high expectation for this book, and now I can safely say that it exceeded every single
Fares
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5
But honestly, it's a 5 stars!

Sweet potatoes and carrots sticks!
Why did it take me this long to read this?! I mean on one hand, I’m glad bc I lost my faith in some of the Cosmere books and this restored it, but on the other hand… Actually you know what there is no other hand, I’m glad I took this long to read it.

I wanna say that there are some things I didn’t like and others that fell short to me. I predicted most things here, and Sanderson said that he wrote most of it before Wheel of Time an
♛ may
nostalgia? check
humour? present
bromance? always
ending? pain
emotional stability? unfound
hotel? trivago

^is that meme still a thing?? well it is now

that last line made me want to cry, oh my heart 😭😢😪😭😪😢 wax, honey i'm so sorry brandon sanderson thought it was okay to do that to you

well that book #1 for my high fantasy month ✌️

• The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, #5)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • Lord of Chaos (The Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (The Wheel of Time, #8)
  • The Gathering Storm (The Wheel of Time, #12)
  • Towers of Midnight (The Wheel of Time, #13)
  • Winter's Heart (The Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (The Wheel of Time, #10)
  • A Memory of Light (The Wheel of Time, #14)
  • Best Served Cold
  • Breach of Peace (Lawful Times, #1)
See top shelves…
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S

The Mistborn Saga (10 books)
  • The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)
  • The Bands of Mourning (Mistborn, #6)
  • The Lost Metal (Mistborn, #7)
  • Untitled (Mistborn, #8)
  • Untitled (Mistborn, #9)
  • Untitled (Mistborn, #10)