What did you read last month? - June

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess (gingeryarnco) | 616 comments Mod
Tell us about what you read in June.

message 2: by Jess (new)

Maphead: Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks - 3 stars. Started off humorous, but got much less so as it went on.

Golden Son - 5 stars. Second book in the series and the second time reading this in a year. So good.

A Night to Remember - 3 stars. I was OBSESSED with this book when I was in 6th grade. It was not as good as I remembered.

Morning Star - 5 stars. The final book in the series and I am sad. I want mooooore.

Why Not Me? - 3 stars. Meh. Not nearly as endearing as the first one.

Murder on Astor Place - 4 stars. Reading again to finish the series.

Down the Rabbit Hole: Curious Adventures and Cautionary Tales of a Former Playboy Bunny - 4 stars. Hugh Hefner sounds like a complete dick.

These Broken Stars - 4 stars. Titanic in space? Okay! I'm excited to read this whole series.

This Night So Dark - 3 stars. Short story to accompany These Broken Stars.

Sloppy Seconds: The Tucker Max Leftovers - 3 stars. He might be an asshole, but he's a smart one.

Murder on St. Mark's Place - 4 stars.

message 3: by Knobby (new)

Knobby (knobbyknees) | 48 comments Dessert First - apparently I was the first to read this book (I got an ARC from a book club)... it was middle of the road for me.

The Summer I Turned Pretty - my 2nd Jenny Han and I really liked it. She has a great way of writing emotions without making them cheesy.

You Know Me Well - just in time for Pride. I thought this was a sweet book and I enjoyed it.

The Moon and More - obsessed with Sarah Dessen this year. I liked this installment but it wasn't as strong as other works I'd read by her.

When Breath Becomes Air - heartbreaking and beautiful memoir. Would recommend.

The Painter - loved the prose. decent story. would also recommend.

Red Rising - unlike Jess, I didn't like this very much. I got really bored and am not interested in finishing the series.

message 4: by Casey (new)

Casey (casey-h) | 51 comments Finished Iliad, finally. Once I hit page 300, I got really into it but before that was a chore.

The Mermaid's Madness This one was better than the first one. Not sure if I'll finish them, but they aren't bad.

Every Heart a Doorway Sad and vaugely disturbing, I really liked this. Wish it was longer. It's less than 200 pages and costs $9.99 on the kindle for some reason. I must have caught in on sale because I only paid $1.99

Seawitch Meh. These are my "waiting on a different book to get into the library" series. Will finish the series, wouldn't particularly recommend them.

You're Never Weird on the Internet Talked about this on the thread.

message 5: by Wigs (new)

Wigs (wigsnatcher) | 556 comments Mod
Thank you so much for posting this Jess, I got bogged down with things I was trying to take care of.

I barely read at all this month since I'm in major writing mode and I can't read and write fiction at the same time. However, I've just started The Girl on the Train because I want to get ready for the movie and I'm definitely enjoying it so far. Only 75 pages in but I like where it's going so far. I didn't realize the main character would be such a wreck but I still identify with her a bit.

I also started the audiobook of Little Women today at work. I've tried to read it so many times and hopefully just doing the audio will finally get it done.

Also I want to mention I just discovered a podcast last night that I'm enjoying, it's called Slate's Audio Book Club. They discuss a book per episode and I could only listen to a smattering of eps since I havent' read all the books but they definitely hit some big name stuff so you will find something you've read there I'm sure. (Gone Girl, Room, The Goldfinch, etc)

Last question, do you ever feel guilty about wanting to reread a book you've already read? When there are so many others you have waiting in your queue that haven't been touched?

message 6: by Knobby (new)

Knobby (knobbyknees) | 48 comments Wigs wrote: "Last question, do you ever feel guilty about wanting to reread a book you've already read? When there are so many others you have waiting in your queue that haven't been touched? "

All the time. Especially when I have books out from the library. I probably have like 20 on my kindle that I bought during deals and yet I really want to re-read Harry Potter...

message 7: by Casey (new)

Casey (casey-h) | 51 comments Wigs wrote: "Last question, do you ever feel guilty about wanting to reread a book you've already read? When there are so many others you have waiting in your queue that haven't been touched? "

Yes! I'm trying to do this reading challenge and I have 26 books to go, but there's a bunch I'd just rather reread at home.

Also, I meant to add this to my last post, but: Any urban fantasy recs? I feel like I've read them all and am out. Off the top of my head, I know I've read Dresden Files, Mercy Thompson, Kate Daniels, Greywalker, Walker Paper Series, all the ones Seanan McGuire writes, probably others...

message 8: by Jess (new)

No problem, I was on hold for about 3. 5 hours today, so I did a lot of stuff on the laptop.

message 9: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (cblace) | 35 comments I read Tipping the Velvet and it totally affected me in a way I didn't expect. I started with the audiobook and then read the rest because I couldn't wait to get back in the car. It was just so pretty and sad and gay, I had so many emotions.

message 10: by Wigs (new)

Caroline wrote: "I read Tipping the Velvet and it totally affected me in a way I didn't expect. I started with the audiobook and then read the rest because I couldn't wait to get back in the car. It..."

Good to hear! I've had this one on my bookshelf for years and it hasn't been touched yet. One day!!

message 11: by Keri (new)

Keri (keri91) | 9 comments I read 5 books in June! Slowly chipping away at my 50 goal, I'm 3 behind!

1. The Help - 4/5! Hardcopy instead of e-book (my usual) so my hands hurt by the end of those 400+ pages!

2. Fortune Smiles 2/5 - it was really terrible.

3. The Awakening - 2/5. I understood it and the point, but I didn't like it.

4. The Haunting of Hill House - 4/5. Really enjoyed this one! Reminded me a lot of another book I loved Rebecca.

5. Mr. Mercedes - 3/5. I won't keep up with the sequels, but I still like King as an author! I just bought his book Bag of Bones so that's on my July list!

I hope to read 5 books (or more!) in July as well, but one book is a Korean Translation (to test my skills), so it might take me a while to get through.

message 12: by Keri (new)

Keri (keri91) | 9 comments Wigs wrote: "Last question, do you ever feel guilty about wanting to reread a book you've already read? When there are so many others you have waiting in your queue that haven't been touched?"

All the time! I have so many hardcopy and e-book to read and here I am... re-reading my favorite books over and over again.

message 13: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (vivianislittle) | 5 comments I've had such a good month in terms of reading!!!!!

Death on the Nile 4/5 & Hickory Dickory Dock 3/5
I preferred 'Death on the Nile', but both were easy and enjoyable reads

When Breath Becomes Air 3.5/5
It was a bit overrated, though it had some interesting insights on patient and doctor relationships

Ready Player One 4/5
I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed this book, I didn't understand all the references, but the gamer in me felt a connection

The Girl on the Train 3/5
Everyone and their mum is reading this book, so I had to see what all the fuss was about. I hate-read this book, but I will admit it was a page turner

The Sympathizer 5/5 (A must read!)
I am biased, but it had such relevant and personable commentary on racism, discrimination and east v west.

message 14: by mònica (new)

mònica • nightingfae (nightingfae) | 3 comments Jess wrote: "Tell us about what you read in June."

Flox de los Colores. Fairy Oak - A little remember to my childhood.
Allegiant - When I finished it I was like: I can't believe this end, I'm gonna cry till I die. I loved it.
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Two words: Harry Potter.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 5 comments Honor Girl: A Graphic Memoir - a young adult graphic novel memoir that i thought was pretty good. i'm definitely not in the age of her target audience but i thought the art and the story was still a good read.

Sweet Lamb of Heaven - this book was really strange and creepy and made me so anxious. i definitely recommend it to anyone who likes a good thriller that's a little weird.

The Girls - i loathed this book so much. i'm curious to know what other ppl thought of it. i thought it was pretty terrible!

My Best Friend's Exorcism - Scary but heartfelt! So many parts of it were creepy (and one memorable scene disgusting) but by the end I was crying. I was honestly surprised that a male author captured a friendship between two young women so well. I totally loved this book.

Tampa: A Novel - i'm not totally sure i finished this in june, it could have been May... but anyway, this book was a strange one. i sorta liked it, but i feel weird saying i liked it? it was definitely gross and uncomfortable and part of my motivation in finishing it was to see if the main character would get in trouble.

i can't remember which other of my books i actually finished in june because my finished dates are off... so i will stop there.

message 16: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samhanson) | 1 comments Definitely gonna check out The Sympathizer, thanks for the rec, Vivian!

Paterson - 4 stars. I read this because of the Jim Jarmusch movie coming out of the same name but not an interpretation but sort of inspired by. Beautiful long poem.

Tender Points - 5 stars. So great! A lyric about the intersections of disability, pain, sexual assault, gender, music, writing, the internet.

message 17: by Diana (new)

Diana (dam2025) | 5 comments I really wanted to get through more this month, but ended up getting through only two.

I finally read The Girl in the Spider's Web since it came out in paperback, which matches my the rest of the series on my shelf. I knew it wouldn't be Steig going into it, but I had to read it for myself. It took me two weeks to get through it. I figured out the plot pretty quickly, and was mostly disappointed throughout the whole thing. I never got the impression that Lagercrantz knew who Lisbeth was as a character, and somehow the book, while being about her, was barely about her.

My second book was The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan, and I had so much fun with that one. I've been told it's too similar to Percy Jackson, but I've never read those so I can't make the comparison. I probably enjoyed this one so much more than I would have otherwise because Magnus is a Boston kid, and I'm on the T every day going past all the places in the book. Every day was like going on a tour of Boston landmarks.

I've got a lot to catch up on this month and hopefully I'll be able to put more of a dent in my to read stack. I've already knocked one graphic novel off, but I need to do better on the books themselves.

message 18: by Alyssa (last edited Jul 08, 2016 06:23AM) (new)

Alyssa (girlcomeundone) | 63 comments I read:
Magnificent Joe (3/5) - ehhh, not terrible, not great, i found it to be sort of forgettable if i'm being totally honest.

Stargirl (3/5) - i picked this up because it felt like i was seeing it everywhere and people talked about how it was so life-changing for them. Maybe because i read it as an adult, but i thought it was super trite and felt like a 'manic pixie dream girl' situation to me.

Rebecca (3/5) - a quick read, good story but unsatisfying ending.

Broken Monsters (3/5) - i was loving this until the total (view spoiler) ending.

Two Truths and a Lie (3/5) - while this book had sort of "middle-book-itis", i am digging this silly series and and looking forward to the next one.

message 19: by Idris (last edited Jul 09, 2016 10:22AM) (new)

Idris Grey (idrisgrey) | 57 comments Mod
I have not read nearly enough lately. I've been getting loads of ARCs, though. I read Baby Doll by Hollie Overton and a lot of fanfiction, but I haven't finished anything else.

I just got Queen of the South, The Hike and Family Tree in the mail so those are next up to bat.

message 20: by Kino (new)

Kino McFarland (cinestress) | 3 comments I didn't read as much in June as I had intended. I have a lot of books in progress, but never feel like reading half of them most of the time.

In June, I finished:
Diary by Chuck Palahniuk- a reread. I liked it a lot more the second time around. It gives good insight on how people react to suicide, but then, of course, it takes a much weirder and bleak turn.

Ajin: Demi-Human, Volume 5 - I've been reading the manga series through Crunchyroll, but I read the equivalent of Vol. 5 in June.

Your Voice is All I Hear by Leah Scheier. I am a sucker for YA fiction dealing with mental illness, and this one is about schizophrenia. I gave it a 4/5.

As for feeling guilty about rereading books when there are so many other books to read, yes. I end up rarely rereading books because of it.

That's all I read in June, but 11 days into July and I've already read that many. Hoping to quadruple that number by the end of the month.

message 21: by Wigs (last edited Jul 12, 2016 10:48PM) (new)

I'm like now 3/5 of the way through Girl on the Train now and I have so many uncertainties! I can see what the author's doing, she's got all these possible suspects, all these men that have hot tempers and violent tics and I'm like ...arghhhh who is it. And I can even see she's like planted a seed of maybe it's Rachel herself hurr hurr etc.

However, I think it might end up being (view spoiler) just because I've been suspicious of all his behavior and relevance from the beginning but we'll see. It could also be (view spoiler)

But whatever don't tell me I just wanted to like babble a tiny bit for a sec.

message 22: by Christy (new)

Christy (cmh85) | 27 comments I read Sickened: The True Story of a Lost Childhood which was good but super depressing.

I tried to read Roses and Rot but I gave up on it. I just couldn't care less lol.

And then I read The First Evil because I was feeling nostalgic. It was 0% scary but cheesy and fun.

message 23: by Lynda (new)

Lynda (lyndalovelee) Wigs wrote: "I'm like now 3/5 of the way through Girl on the Train now and I have so many uncertainties! I can see what the author's doing, she's got all these possible suspects, all these men that have hot tem..."

I love hearing what you think. I had the exact same thoughts while reading... could be anyone... dun dun dun. Just saw the trailer for the movie too. It's interesting how it's portrayed to be very sexual...

message 24: by Jess (new)

Mònica wrote: "Allegiant - When I finished it I was like: I ..."

That series!! I really liked it, but the end was infuriating.