Start by marking “The First Evil (Fear Street Cheerleaders, #1)” as Want to Read:
The First Evil (Fear Street Cheerleaders, #1)

The First Evil

(Fear Street Cheerleaders #1)

"Give Me a D-I-E!"

Newcomers Corky and Bobbi Corcoran want more than anything to make the cheerleading squad at Shadyside High. But as soon as the Corcoran sisters are named to the team, terrible things happen to the cheerleaders.

The horror starts with a mysterious accident near the Fear Street cemetery. Soon after, piercing screams echo through the empty school halls. An

Published August 1st 1992 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The First Evil, please sign up.

Anna
Jan 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Five stars for nostalgia, but three for quality. That shower scene still freaks me the heck out! But a lot of this was filler and it ended really abruptly. Doesn't stand on it's own very well.
Ken
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve heard that ‘The Cheerleaders’ is amongst the best of the Fear Street novels and I can fully understand why!

Newcomers Corky and Bobbi arrive at Shadyside High and are instantly fast tracked into the cheerleading squad, much to the annoyance of Kimmy.

I really liked the tension amongst the group and how a rift is formed, the competitive nature really comes to the fore.
This peaks after Jennifer is injured and Bobbi is named the new captain. You can really feel the jealousy through the story.

The
Steph
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5

That was incredibly predictable but I still enjoyed it none-the-less.
Rachel
It's a bit hard to determine how many stars to give a book like this. I read it when I was younger, and I'm sure back then (mid-90s ish) I would have given it more stars. As an adult in my 30s re-reading it, I can still appreciate the Fear Street books as fun books but they, at least in times of writing, aren't anything special. I don't want nostalgia to cloud my review too much so I think 3 stars is a fair amount to give. I still love R.L. Stine though and will continue to be a fan!
Latasha
Not totally original but still a lot of fun.
Jen
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved the Fear Street series when I was growing up, and the cheerleader series was always my favorite. I just had to read this for nostalgia's sake when I saw it available on the digital library. It doesn't hold up as well 20 years later compared to some of the great YA stuff out there these days, but I still give it 4 stars for great, campy fun. I might just have to read the whole Fear Street series one of these days!
Veronica Morfi
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I should begin this review by saying that I've been reading RL Stine's Goosebumps growing up, they were the first books I ever read and they will always hold a special place in my heart. I've never read any of his other series though and seeing that Fear Street Cheerleaders had more of a YA feeling to it was a welcome surprise.

Corky and Bobbi are the two sisters that are the main characters of this book, 16 and 17 years old. They move in their new house on Fear Street and decide to join the Che
Leigha
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Preteen me would have more than likely gave this a 5-star rating. As an adult, I am more conflicted. I knew what was coming more or less, so there was no surprise. I'm so over Stine's cheesy cliffhangers at the end of every chapter! His books have the tropes I really don't care for, biggest one being the girl hate... but nostalgia wins sometimes. I still like the books, just see them differently as an adult.

---

*Starting sometime in May for the Fear Street Challenge in the Horror Aficionados grou
Melanie
Hooray! After too many years of trying to hunt down a copy of this I have finally removed it from my TBR and added it to my 'Read' pile. Thank you Miss Latasha.

This is one of Stine's better works, though he's lost a star for the lack of diversity and the constant reiteration of how pretty the two main characters were with their blond hair! Brunettes are good looking too R.L. So are many other non-anglos. But getting past that, I liked the premise, I really liked the final scene where they fin
Cassi
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was really good. I can see why it is one of the hallmarks of the Fear Street series. It had a really cinematic horror movie feel to it and I definitely want to read the Fear Street saga and the rest of the cheerleader books now.
Donna
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
THE FIRST EVIL is definitely a much more robust horror novel for the Fear Street line, mixing genuine character confusion in what’s going on with an abject disregard for who lives and who dies with a supernatural twist that I love to see in my horror.

I love it when Stine kills characters. The deaths are usually over the top, pretty damn creative, and no one is safe. In THE FIRST EVIL one of the main characters, which you probably won’t see coming, gets boiled to death in the gym shower. I love i
Anelis
Aug 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
A book where EVERY chapter ends with a jump scare or a cliffhanger. And here I thought lazy, petty jump scares where only found in horror flicks.

I thought reading this would be a breeze but I was so uninterested it turned out to be a bit of a chore. A chore I gladly did only because I read it as part of a book club so I knew I wasn't alone in my suffering. My main problem was that it was badly written. It jumped from one scene to another, without notice, pause, or any explanation making it feel
Melissa Sanchez
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was pretty good, and not just nostalgia good!
Francessca
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was the first fear street book that I read. I was in 6th grade.
Me and my best friend wanted so badly to be cheerleaders and were excited to get our hands on fear street books. Keep in mind that not all fear street books are scary. But this was the first book I read so I was under the impression that they all were to scary for my delicate mind lol. Which put me off of reading fear streets for awhile. But I love these books. Okay so enough talking on to the review.
This book is about Corky and
Ashley Ehlers

Originally posted on Paranormal Sisters: http://paranormalsisters.blogspot.com...

I was dying to read one of R.L Stines Fear Street books ever since I did my Daring You To Read post. I just love his stories of horror.

Fear Street Cheerleaders were, I Believe, the first books of his Fear Street collection I read which was back in 08'. So I thought this to be the perfect one to reread and dive back into the world I fell in love with. This started my little but growing collection of his teen horror.
Max
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, young-adult
Based on the title, I was hoping this would be a book featuring fairy actiony cheerleaders, a la Buffy and various other late 90s/early 2000s media. Instead, it's much more a typical horror story in which the cheerleaders are victims, and the heroine only barely manages to defeat the evil. All in all, this was a rather disappointing and quite flat book. Most of the characters are rather cliche and two dimensional. The worst of these was definitely Bobbi and Corky's younger brother, who seems to ...more
Bookwormliz
Dec 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: R. L. Stine lifers, those stuck between middle grade and young adult fiction
Bobbi and Corky join the Shadyside cheerleading team, much to the chagrin of all the other team members, and accidentally unleash an ancient evil. It's Fear Street, for crying out loud. What else could happen?

The first time I read this series, I was eleven and whoa, did I love it. Fifteen years later, it's showing its age. I didn't expect I would be wowed again, fifteen years later, but I didn't expect I would cringe with regret, either.

Don't take that the wrong way. The book isn't bad. But with
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Another vintage I needed to clear off my shelves. The story isn't bad for the age and it's not as predictable as a lot of his other works, but the exclamation points and false chapter cliffhangers get old. I mainly liked the characters, as simple as they seemed (which is usual), and probably should have seen the ending coming. I did know it was something to do with one girl (was right on that), but was completely wrong on how it had to do with her. Overall the story was decent but the dialogue p ...more
Man it must have been so easy to be a teen author in the 80s/90s. You could just throw a few plot points together without really thinking about it, add a little half-hearted dialogue that you felt like a teen would probably say, and Bob's your uncle.

I was way into Fear Street in 6th grade. Now that there are some newer Fear Street stories coming out and I've been getting more requests for them, I decided to take a trip down memory lane. This tale did not hold up well, but it did make me apprecia
Jan
Sorry, but I love these books for what they are. Quick, fun books with a bit of a chill to them. Really better for tweens and young teens. These books were not around when I was a kid so I am enjoying them now. And really, is there anything scarier than an evil cheerleader. OK, evil clown, but nothing else.
Jennifer Elizabeth
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sometimes you just need to go back to your younger years. These are great stories to read for "mindless time" during breaks at work. As well as when reading bigger series. R.L. Stine always had a way of making certain scenes unforgettable.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, childrens
I may have been the only boy in history to have read this series.
Hannah Buttrey
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was AMAZING!!!!!!It had me shivering like CRAZY!! Awesome book! Double thumbs up!
Cate
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I forgot how much I enjoyed these books as a teenager. It was like seeing an old friend, but one thing is for sure... I do not miss High School!
Ivy
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 ⭐

Nice to see Corky and Bobbie Corcoran come to Dhadyside. Sad that Bobbi died. Wonder how Sarah Fear died. Glad that Corky is starting to fit into the team. RIP Jennifer and Bobbie.
Shannon
Jan 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: jr-high-reads
This was my first step into the horror genre of books. I loved this book and honestly I still do. I wish I could find it again
Periwinklegurlforever
really scary.
Its really good.
R.l stine writes good
Chelsea Gouin
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Re-Read. The Cheerleader series was always such a staple for Fear Street. It was one of the first I had read and got me hooked on horror. The premise is awfully generic, sisters Bobbi and Corky (stupidest names ever) move to Shadyside and join the cheerleading squad. They are cheer legends, having lead and won the All-State Championship at their former school. But members Kimmy, Ronnie, and Debra aren't as happy as captain Jennifer about welcoming the newcomers. Things go sour quick when Jennife ...more
Samantha
When I was in fifth grade and all through middle school the Fear Street books were my jam. ESPECIALLY the cheerleaders, they were my favorites. They were just so demented and fun and gruesome and I loved it! I recently went on eBay to fill in gaps in my collection, and got all the cheerleader books included. So naturally I read them first.

Still great!

I think what I loved most was the way Stine killed off characters sort of all over the place. He wasn't afraid to do in major leads, and that was s
Shannon
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
This is probably one of the few ‘Fear Street’ books that I don’t think I’ve ever picked up. To be honest, it wasn’t the best. The story was pretty slow and uneventful for the most part. Things got more interesting as I read on, but by then there wasn’t much left of the book. Also, that ending was super disappointing. The motive was extremely weak. I don’t usually expect much from these books, but the reasoning behind the evil person’s actions was lame and pretty non-existent. I was left wishing ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Wicked Heart
  • The Yearbook
  • The Evil Twin (Sweet Valley High, #100)
  • The Mall

R. L. Stine b

Fear Street Cheerleaders (5 books)
  • The Second Evil (Fear Street Cheerleaders, #2)
  • The Third Evil (Fear Street Cheerleaders, #3)
  • The New Evil (Fear Street Cheerleaders, #4: Fear Street Superchiller, #7)
  • The Evil Lives! (Fear Street Cheerleaders, #5: Fear Street Super Chiller, #13)