Readers of YA Fiction discussion

Archives II *for admin use only* > What Are You Reading In July?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Racheal (new)

Racheal  (mosthonorableone) | 145 comments How is everyone doing with their reading goals? Any good summer reads so far?

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindajoy8) | 76 comments Loved the Sin Eater's Daughter (earlier this summer) and the Sleeping Prince (book2 - just finished) by Melinda Salisbury! Loved the detail of the worlds with their folklore and magic - recommend!

Also enjoying the Borden Murders and just starting J. Leigh's The Madness Project :)

Happy 4th!

Rummanah (Books in the Spotlight) (rummanahbooksinthespotlight) | 22 comments I'm actually happy with my summer reading goals. I've stayed focused and crossed a lot off of my list. I really enjoyed If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo and Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick. Both broke my heart in quite a few places. Hidden Oracle was a fun read, but I was disappointed with The Wrath and the Dawn duology which didn't live up to my expectations.

Right now, I'm about 60% into Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine which I"m enjoying but it moves a bit of a slow pace. It reminds me a lot of Incarceron (sp?) by Catherine Fisher.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rgag86) | 37 comments My pile of graphic novels from the library grows every day haha. The next 2 books I have lined up are one about the Wilhem Gustlaf (reading Salt to the Sea inspired me to look more into the history of the event) and Wonder Women by Sam Maggs. 2 Nonfiction! That's rare for me.

message 5: by J. (new)

J. Bralick (jleighbralick) | 57 comments Linda wrote: "Also enjoying the Borden Murders and just starting J. Leigh's The Madness Project :)
..."

Eep!!! Hope you're enjoying it!

I just finished reading Red Seas Under Red Skies which was amazing, as I'd hoped...not quite as exquisitely perfected as LoLL, but...still. So, so good. I immediately went and bought The Republic of Thieves and it's beckoning to me...beckoning.....but I've got exams to study for and clinicals tomorrow and...yeah. *sigh*

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindajoy8) | 76 comments @J Leigh - I'm enjoying it :) Hopefully will have more time to read this weekend!

message 7: by Racheal (last edited Jul 10, 2016 07:58PM) (new)

Racheal  (mosthonorableone) | 145 comments @Linda- Ooo! I'll have to look into it! =)

@Cullengirl- I have yet to read The Rose and The Dagger, but I've heard people say the same thing, that it was disappointing.

So far my favorite reads this summer were The Wrath & the Dawn and The Bird and the Sword. I'm doing really good with my goal (I lowered it this year) that I might up it a little.

I just read Making Faces by Amy Harmon since I enjoyed The Bird and The Stone so much. It was a really different from what I'm used to, but I ended up really enjoying it as well.

Now, I'm reading: Things We Know by Heart by Jessi Kirby

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindajoy8) | 76 comments Haven't had much time to read this week since my co-worker loaned me the previous seasons of The Walking Dead so I could catch up... My husband and I have been binge watching! :)

Still reading The Madness Project and recently finished The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rgag86) | 37 comments I read like 30 pgs of the Wihelm Gustlaff book and gave up. It wasn't bad, I just don't have the attention span for non-fiction :/ BUT Wonder Women, on the other hand, I am thoroughly enjoying because Sam Maggs is full of snark and wit.

Still cracking away at my graphic novel pile too. Reading a bunch of Deadpool right now.

message 10: by Hope (new)

Hope (hopeylope) | 18 comments Just finished The Vegetarian by Han Kang and now I'm starting Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

message 11: by Racheal (last edited Jul 21, 2016 06:42PM) (new)

Racheal  (mosthonorableone) | 145 comments I finished Things We Know by Heart by Jessi Kirby . I also read The Season of You & Me by Robin Constantine which was a cute summery read, as well as The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West .

I tried to read The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath & the Dawn, #2) by Renee Ahdieh but just couldn't get into it... the pace was too slow and I only got about 40ish pages in. =/

message 12: by J. (new)

J. Bralick (jleighbralick) | 57 comments Finished The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3) by Scott Lynch . I'm...still puzzling over what I felt about it. I love Jean and Locke so much that I will endure almost anything to hang out with them. But there was such a heavy focus on the romance...and I'm not a big romance reader...and I didn't particularly care about the romantic interest as a romantic interest...and so little focus on Locke's skullduggery and con-man brilliance...that it was just the tiniest bit disappointing. And there was a twist that just kind of doesn't make sense in the story. So I dunno. LoLL is still my hand's down favorite read of the year so far, and perhaps the last several years, but RSuRS and RoT fell just a bit short. *sigh*

So not sure what to read next. Except my patho/pharm textbook. >.< LOL

message 13: by J. (new)

J. Bralick (jleighbralick) | 57 comments Okay so in a wild attempt to avoid studying for my exams, I finished RoT and went immediately to read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs . LOVED it. So much fun. Almost 5 stars...so close.....

message 14: by J. (new)

J. Bralick (jleighbralick) | 57 comments Then, in a further attempt to avoid studying, I read Brandon Sanderson's Elantris (Elantris, #1) by Brandon Sanderson .