Start by marking “Things We Know by Heart” as Want to Read:
Things We Know by Heart

Things We Know by Heart

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  9,611 Ratings  ·  1,439 Reviews
When Quinn Sullivan meets the recipient of her boyfriend’s donated heart, the two form an unexpected connection.

After Quinn loses her boyfriend, Trent, in an accident their junior year, she reaches out to the recipients of his donated organs in hopes of picking up the pieces of her now-unrecognizable life. She hears back from some of them, but the person who received Trent
Published April 21st 2015 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Things We Know by Heart, please sign up.
Anh These people got the advance reader copies. The book is not yet complete meaning is has not been finally proofread. These are sent out for reviews…moreThese people got the advance reader copies. The book is not yet complete meaning is has not been finally proofread. These are sent out for reviews before the final copy.(less)
P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny HanThe Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie WestAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenSaint Anything by Sarah DessenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga
2015 Contemporary YA
272 books — 1,337 voters
Winter by Marissa MeyerRed Queen by Victoria AveyardThe Heir by Kiera CassFairest by Marissa MeyerEnd of Days by Susan Ee
YA Novels of 2015
1,467 books — 8,809 voters

More lists with this book...

Lola  Reviewer
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead.
-Oscar Wilde

It is not every day that I am determined to read titles dealing with organ donation, such a realistic and rarely spoken of subject. Or movies to watch, for that matter. The last one I remember having seen a couple of years ago, and was quite shocked by, was the movie adaptation of the novel Never Let Me Go. However, between contemporary and dystopia, there is quite an enormous set of dif
Sana
Honestly?? I don't even know who I am right now because I just five starred the most cheesiest, cliché and predictable book with.......INSTA LOVE.

I mean, falling in love with the dude who has your dead boyfriends heart transplant?? Sign me up lmao.

But, there's more than that to this book. It's about taking learning to give yourself the happiness you deserve and moving on. There's nothing wrong with moving on. Yes, it is the absolute worst when someone you loved so so much is taken away and it'
Emily May
Feb 10, 2015 marked it as dnf
I really wanted to like this after I loved Golden so much. Jessi Kirby has a talent for writing cute, bittersweet romances, but I think this one is just a little too cheesy for me.

I couldn't get past my disdain for the premise: a girl's boyfriend dies and donates his organs, so she tracks down the recipient of his heart and - would you believe - he's a hot surfer dude with pretty eyes. Still, Kirby's writing is lovely as usual, so I'm sure many others will enjoy Things We Know by Heart.
Ariana
♥ Another story that steals my breath away...

I can hardly explain it, can barely describe the amount of happiness I felt bursting from my heart when I picked up this book, but know that this story is totally and utterly beautiful, sometimes in such an aching way, sometimes filling one's heart with so much delight.

There is grieve, there is love, there is hope, there is happiness.
Jessi can create the most romantic and lovely moments ever, also the deepest and the most heartbreaking, leaving you
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always

"Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back." --Plato

First off, you guys need to know that Things We Know by Heart will break your heart into a million shards, then tape the pieces back together (and possibly even staple the holes shut). And then the ending will... well, I'm not going to spoil you. Let's just say my feels are all over the place.

So let me give you a few things you need to prepare for in this book...

#1: Tears. Jessi Kirby knows how to bring out the te
Faye, la Patata
Win a pre-order of this book by joining my giveaway on Twitter! Click this for details!

----

You know a book is really special when you've only just begun and you're already overwhelming with emotions. Imagine, I've only read a few pages of this novel and my eyes were starting to water already. My little brother was even giving me a bewildered look as he saw me wipe my tears away with the back of my hand.
Le brother: What's up with you?
Me: This book... this book is... it's just so sad...!
Le broth
Aj the Ravenous Reader

No wonder the heart literally hurts when you’re in emotional pain. It is, after all, the organ that works overtime daily. Imagine how it beats approximately one hundred thousand times a day. Poor organ. But that’s not the point of the book. I was just really impressed by this factual information presented in it.

Now onto the review. The book was released in 2015 but only around December of 2017 did a copy finally grace our local bookstores. I have always wanted to read Things We Know by Heart si
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Golden was one of my favourite novels that I read in 2014, so naturally, I was expecting many things for Things We Know by Heart. Unfortunately, I don't see this novel getting on my 2015 favourites list; but that being said, it won't be sitting on my most-hated-novels-of-2015 either. Instead, Things We Know by Heart will be somewhere in the middle; somewhat unremarkable in my eyes.

When Quinn's boyfriend (Trent) dies in an accident, his organs are don
aria [dear darling reader]
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it

"They say time heals all wounds, but meeting those people tha tafternoon - a makeshift family of strangers brought together by one person - had healed more in me than all the time that passed in the days that had come before."

REACTION AFTER READING THE BOOK

This book made me google and check if there is a possibility of a donated heart remembering something from the organ donor's past. I actually did some research and found that after a heart transplant, some people do experience a bit of a c
maymay❀

This review is approximately three years late. . .

#oops.

description

I’m going to be honest. This book is cheesy. It’s cheesy but it’s also sweet and endearing and heartwarming.

Things We Know by Heart is narrated from the perspective of Quinn Sullivan. Quinn is heartbroken and shattered after an accident leads to the death of her boyfriend. To help her cope with her grief, Quinn reaches out to the recipients of Trent’s donated organs.

Despite all her trying, there is one recipient who has never returned h
Maria Espadinha
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Em Busca do Insubstituível...

“O Coração - descobriram os cientistas - não é apenas uma bomba, mas também um órgão de grande inteligência, com o seu próprio sistema nervoso, capacidade de tomar decisões, e de se conectar com o cérebro. Eles descobriram que o coração efetivamente “fala” com o cérebro, comunicando com ele de modos que afetam a maneira como sentimos e reagimos ao mundo.»”.
Fala Coração, Fala!...

A Felicidade - não descobriram cientistas - sabe a banana com lascas de chocolate.
E a mor

“Four hundred days and too many heartbeats to count.
Four hundred days and too many places and moments where Trent no longer exists.”

This was an okay story, but it felt quite average, which is odd considering what it’s about.

I felt quite sorry for Quinn, she obviously really missed Trent, and losing him so suddenly was really difficult for her. I understood the way she want
Arlene
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! The story, the plot, the characters.... All of it. Jessi Kirby ranks up there with Sarah Dessen when it comes to YA contemporaries that are full of substance and meaning. I was drawn to this story and the characters from the first to the last page. I could have used a few more chapters for my own selfish reasons... I simply wanted more.

In Things We Know by Heart, we meet Quinn Sullivan at a time in her life when she’s trying to recover from her boyfriend’s death where a tragic car acci
Neil (or bleed)
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year. No man has learned anything rightly until he knows that every day is Doomsday."

Things We Know By Heart is one of the books I know by heart that I will love. And eventually, I did. Another death book (emphasis on death) that I devoured. And tormented me again by the pouring emotions that I can't believe I still can hold on with life, with everything.

As a matter of fact, this is so bitin. (Lol sorry. No time to google what is t
Sophia Sardothien
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Official Rating 3.5

This book is really emotional, especially in the beginning; my heart was torn into a thousand pieces. I think that the author captured sadness extremely beautifully, the way she wrote how sad losing someone you love is so heartbreaking.

I would have given this a 4.5 stars if I could have felt more connected to the protagonist, somehow her narration was exceedingly heartbreaking and the way she's perceive the world after the traumatic event she'd through has left her so broke
Karla
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Things we know by heart" is the emotional and heartbreaking story of Quinn and Colton. Quinn has recently lost her boyfriend, Trent, and his family decides to donate his organs. Quinn is feeling heartbroken, drowning in the pain of missing Trent, unable to move on. She sets on a mission to meet the recipients of her boyfriends organs hoping to finally get some closure. She meets Colton, who has been battling a heart condition for years and its literally dying, in till the fateful day when he ge ...more
Marga
There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those.”

—Michael Nolan

What a beautiful, quick read! I liked it but didn't love it, though. It's one of those books that you'll adore while reading but will forget in the long run. But it's a perfect summer read!

P.S. Colton was really adorable. ALL THE FEELS

Review to follow.
Scrill
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Scrill by: Sana
“As hard as we both tried, and as much as we both wanted to be otherwise, we are made of our pasts, and our pains, our joys and our losses. It’s in the very fibers of our beings. Written on our hearts.”

Over a year after Quinn has lost her boyfriend to a tragic accident she is still hurting from the loss. She has reached out to all the organ donor recipients that his life had gifted and all has responded except for one, the heart. In an attempt to get some peace for her own broken heart, she go
Mafi
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uma boa estreia com esta autora. Achei este romance muito fofo e nem me importava que fosse mais longo. Fiquei curiosa para ler mais algo de Jessi Kirby.

O plot até é bastante simples e sejamos sinceras, percebemos logo que a protagonista e o rapaz que ela procura vão logo desenvolver uma relação, portanto nesse aspecto não há muita imprevisibilidade na trama. Também o facto de o tal interesse amoroso ser um surfista todo jeitoso também não me agradou muito, mas pronto ainda falta algum realismo
Maggie ☘ (Reader in Wonderland)
“Little victories, they're the ones that counts.”

This was such a heartwarming book. I enjoyed the romance (even though I wished it was a bit more slow burn), I liked the MC's grandmother (such a diva!) and older sister. It was a story of grief and guilt. Moving on and falling in love again. It was sweet and sad and inspirational sometimes. But it was also quite cheesy. A bit too much for me. While I enjoyed reading this book, it was sadly nothing special in the contemporary genre for me.

Quotes:
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Visit Stay Bookish for more book reviews!

Actual rating: 4.5

Jessi Kirby has touched my heart once and does so again with her latest novel- Things We Know By Heart. Honestly, I’ve waited for a new book by the author since I fell in love with Golden and my excitement was not for nothing. In merely a few chapters, I was easily wrapped. The writing is just so beautiful and striking that you can’t help but turn pages and be moved by the story.

By the story, I mean Quinn’s story. The reader gets into it
Karin Falkner
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-home-library
Ein wirklich schönes Buch, und mit soviel Gefühl geschrieben! Sehr gut gefallen haben mir auch die Einleitungen zu jedem Kapitel. Das Ende kam für mich recht plötzlich, gerne wäre ich noch ein bisschen länger bei Mia und Noah geblieben!
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An ARC of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts are my own.

This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

I've seen a premise like this before, in a Lurlene McDaniel book I read when I was like, ten. Except in Someone Dies, Someone Lives, the main character was the one being saved by an organ transplant and trying to get back to life as usual, not the potential love interest. Maybe it's because I read such tragic stories like that when I w
Christy LoveOfBooks

4.5

"For so long, I was the one with his heart. I just need to see where it is now."

I can’t believe I almost skipped this book. Things We Know by Heart was so moving and beautiful. I don’t know if it was just my mood that enhanced the emotions or what, but I swear, it felt like my eyes were on a continuous drip while reading. Ah, but there were plenty of smiles and laughs too.

Quinn’s boyfriend died and his organs were donated to various people. First of all, I’m so happy that the subject of o
Norah Una Sumner
"The days passed, one after another, measured out in an unbroken, never-ending rhythm.Seemingly infinite, but gone in the blink of an eye—like waves crashing on the shore, or the seasons passing.
Or the beating of a heart."

What an amazing book!I loved everything about it-the phenomenal main characters,the fantastic story,the supporting characters(the sisters),the ending.There are so many heartbreaking moments,so many realistic situations and feelings and so many beautiful conversations.I loved
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is hands down Jessi Kirby's best book to date. It's stunning and breathtaking, at turns heartbreaking and healing. I can't wait for this book to officially hit the shelves!
Joy (joyous reads)
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have been in such a terrible roll of contemporary suck-fest lately. Usually, it’s the genre I run to whenever I feel the tell-tale bump of a reading slump coming on. The last couple of tries left me feeling disillusioned, and wondering what I ever liked in the genre to begin with.

And then this book came long.

Things We Know By Heart is a thought-provoking book about a person’s willingness to cross a line for the sake of closure. Truthfully, I’ve never even given a thought to what I would do in
Nikki
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This review can also be found at my blog, There were books involved...

-----------------------------
Final Rating: 4.5 stars!

A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

Okay, full disclosure: I was actually considering not reading this one. And let me tell you right now: That would have been a huge mistake. But this was the last book I was considering reading in March, and I was in the mood for a contemporary with heart (hah... okay that was bad, I'm sorry), so I tho
Jasprit
I’ve been struggling a lot lately with finishing books, it’s taking me over a week to finish some, because it’s not suiting my mood or I’ve just found my focus drifting elsewhere. But I’m glad to say this was not the case with Kirby’s Things We Know by Heart, once again Kirby was able to weave a gorgeous story which totally stole my heart.

Quinn’s boyfriend Trent left a big gaping hole behind when he unexpectedly died. Quinn’s world was everything with Trent, that even a year later Quinn’s barely
  • The Summer of Chasing Mermaids
  • A Million Miles Away
  • Lies I Told (Lies I Told, #1)
  • The Lies About Truth
  • Every Last Promise
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters (Grimbaud, #1)
  • Kissing in America
  • The Secrets of Attraction
  • Between Us and the Moon
  • Trouble from the Start
  • The Cost of All Things
  • Play On (Lewis Creek, #1)
  • Not After Everything
  • Last Year's Mistake
  • The Start of Me and You (The Start of Me and You, #1)
  • Like It Never Happened
  • Top Ten Clues You're Clueless
  • Drowning Is Inevitable

Jessi Kirby is a former English teacher and librarian. She lives in Orange County, CA with her husband and two kids, where she writes stories and runs the beach every day. Well, almost every day.

You can contact Jessi at jessi@jessikirby.com
More about Jessi Kirby
“But it's terrifying to realise how much of your world is wrapped up in loving another person” 31 likes
“There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those." - Michael Nolan” 29 likes