Start by marking “The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3)

The Republic of Thieves

(Gentleman Bastard #3)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  79,613 ratings  ·  4,807 reviews
With what should have been the greatest heist of their career gone spectacularly sour, Locke and his trusted partner, Jean, have barely escaped with their lives. Or at least Jean has. But Locke is slowly succumbing to a deadly poison that no alchemist or physiker can cure. Yet just as the end is near, a mysterious Bondsmage offers Locke an opportunity that will either save ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 650 pages
Published October 8th 2013 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about The Republic of Thieves, please sign up.
Octavia Pearce She seems to get a bit of an unfair rap, maybe to do with the setting in which she's introduced? You expect her to be absolutely brilliant, but becaus…moreShe seems to get a bit of an unfair rap, maybe to do with the setting in which she's introduced? You expect her to be absolutely brilliant, but because the majority of the book doesn't cover any actual political manoeuvring, and and the political manoeuvring itself isn't that clever or twisted, she comes across as a bit meh. If she was introduced as an opponent in a heist book as convoluted as the first or second book, and that book spent enough time focused on the heist, she would probably come across as crazy smart and badass. But instead this book focuses on Locke pursuing his feelings and she doesn't really get a chance to do anything impressive as a criminal. Instead we just get her feeling complicated things about the guy she fancies, which is realistic but not inspiring.

For starters, having a complicated past, where people have wanted to kill and/or rape you for most of your life to date, probably doesn't help you build entirely stable relationships. It doesn't exactly help that the person she's interested in has completely undermined her. She's coming to terms with going from the most talented member of the group, to being second to a child younger and less mature than her, despite it seeming that the main reason he's managed to succeed at anything so far is by being small, unobtrusive and blooming lucky. She's demonstrating actual skill, but for some reason he's the one immediately groomed to be the leader. When she tries to point this out, he just doesn't get it, which doesn't help with her mood, and then people throw their hands up and go 'Jesus she's so moody for NO REASON it's so annoying'. Imagine if the positions were switched and Sabetha stole Locke's position as head of the group - he wouldn't be happy about it either and would probably mope around!

She also probably feels pretty lonely as all the boys are Locke's allies, not hers. Locke ofc goes on and on about Jean being her friend, which he is, but if it came down to it Jean would pick Locke over her *every single time*, so again it probably feels to her like he's not really understanding what she's saying.

The only thing that was really annoying was the scene where they talked about the red hair, but that just felt like a plot device so Locke leaves her and can get confronted, and for the end of the book.

TLDR the setting doesn't give her the chance to shine, in the flashbacks she's annoyed that her talents are overlooked in her group just because a boy joined, that boy then doesn't understand why she got a bit miffed about it, and she has no best buddies to help her through and make her bad points look good.(less)
liquid soap I think you could kind of start here but you must definitely read the other ones either way, they're fucking glorious.

·  79,613 ratings  ·  4,807 reviews

Start your review of The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3)
Petrik
Apr 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 Stars

Let me begin by saying that if I’ve read this book without knowing about Scott Lynch’s struggle with depression during this 6-years time of writing it, I’ll probably rate this book lower. This doesn’t mean that the book received a better rating from me because of his depression, but the knowledge did provide me with a better sense of understanding to the events that happened in this book, specifically to why some parts are infuriating to read and why there are times when the words he
Sean Barrs
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-reads, fantasy
“You want a lesson, boy? If you find yourself being born, climb back in as quick as you can, because life’s a bottomless feast of shit.”

And isn’t that the truth? Locke Lamora has been through hell, and his life is about to get even more messy. After dealing with a dreaded Bondmagi in the Lies of Locke Lamora, and somehow surviving, Locke has found himself on borrowed time after his experience in Red Seas Under Red Skies.

Pumping through his veins is a deadly poison. It is slowly eating away a
Merphy Napier
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, five-stars, adult
I have no complaints. No critiques. This series is perfect in my eyes. It's my new favorite series of them all. I cannot WAIT for book four
Lady Luna. ✨
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
4/5

“False names are fun,” said Calo. “Call me Beefwit Smallcock.”

**this review contains mass amounts of quotes and fanart because I'm so inlove with these books and can't get enough. You have been warned**

description

This is a tough review for me to write, mainly because I really love this series and consider it a favorite, so I had high expectations for this novel. However my expectations for this one were not met and I'm kinda disappointed. I really truly feel it is the weakest story in the se
C.G. Drews
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
By this point I fully confess I AM DOOMED TO LOVE EVERY BOOK IN THE GENTLEMEN BASTARD SERIES. Doomed I tell you. Because it's hurting me but I'm so obsessed I can't stop???? And although this one is actually my least favourite of the 3 so far...it's still freaking 5 stars. So DOOMED, I say again, and then I fall on a heap on the floor because The Thorn of Emberlain doesn't come out till April and I'm suuuuuuffering with the waiting.

(NOTE: the cliffhanger isn't actually as bad as the last book's.
Charlotte May
"Hardship is boring as all hell. Gotta find laughs if you can't stay drunk."

What a great fantasy series this is! I did find this one ever so slightly harder to tackle, it's a good 100 pages longer than book 2 and a lot of the content was quite political and less fast moving.

Locke and Jean have managed to escape their latest escapade on the high seas and are now firmly back on land. Before long they have been swept up by the Bondsmagi and forced into another heist filled with deception and tric
Dana Ilie
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I LOVED the flashbacks in the The Lies of Locke Lamora, and I LOVED seeing the gentlemen bastards all working and interacting with each other. In Red Seas Under Red Skies, those flashback were only there for a little bit, and I severely missed seeing all the bastards together! Not this time though! In The Republic of Thieves, we have a full book of interlude flashbacks that contain all the original members of the gentleman bastard… include Sabetha!
The flashback this time dealt, at first, with ho
Susan
Oct 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
(This review doesn’t really contain spoilers until the second part, when I say there are spoilers. However, some vague information about earlier books is drawn upon in the first part. If you’re being cautious, don’t read this review.)

Upon first discovering its impending release...

description
Sabetha?!

...Wait. Wait, you mean we actually get to meet Sabetha?

Well, Jesus. I've been wanting to meet this 'Sabetha' forever. If she's the reason Locke is both obsessed with and wary of red-heads, I want to know who s
Adina
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sf
2.5*- 3* RTC

I was in love with the first book in the series, The Lies of Locke Lamora. Everything about it made me jump with joy while reading, even the gory parts. I loved the characters, the cussing, the banter between the characters, the dark side of Locke’s mind, even the never ending world building. On to Red Seas Under Red Skies. I still enjoyed it a lot even though more than half was set on the sea and I am not a fan of seafaring. Still, the plot was interesting, Locke and Jean were as fu
Orient
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: action lovers
Recommended to Orient by: Milda Page Runner
Gentleman Bastards books are special and unforgettable to me for a good reason: Mr. Lynch used a strong, fun storyline that kept me hooked. "Republic of Thieves" has two branches in a storyline and it is a fun read too. The two stories blend perfectly with the events helping to reveal one another. I think it's a complicated trick to present a story, but Lynch does it skillfully. The main star of this novel is the political intrigue and the Bastards do it nicely with their sly and shrewd characte ...more
AnHeC the Paperback Obliterator
Word count: about 250 000 or something, just a rough estimate
Rating: Bouncing around like a unicorn on a pogo stick + why do you keep on hitting me in the face with a brick while I'm trying to have fun? = (yes, you've guessed it) MIND NUMBING CONCOCTION OF AWESOME AND HORRID.

I'm sorry, but there is no way to keep it brief.

First of all, it’s a long book. Yes, reading it undeniably takes a while, but I’ve very much enjoyed it in general. Don’t let the length discourage you from picking that one
Matthew
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matthew by: Mike
Shelves: fantasy, audio, 2019
This first book in this series was very good.

The second book in this series was excellent!

This book was just meh . . .

Each one of the books is a similarly meandering and complex epic adventure with twists, turns, and surprises. The Republic of Thieves was no exception. The problem was that I could not really get invested in either of the main storylines. The previous books were true adventures while these stories just felt like ho –hum, day in the life type stuff.

I will say that if you like the
Nico
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc

German Review on Gosureviews

After 6 years I expected a better story.
Sabetha, teased in the previous two books, turns out to be a very weak and shallow character. One of the main plot lines, their "love story" just doesn't work. They don't really have any chemistry together and later in the book I actually got annoyed whenever they had a scene together.
It started very strong, but the main story was utterly boring and predictable, so much that I had a hard time finishing the book. The end made u
Robin (Bridge Four)
We are back on track!!!

I don’t have time for a super in depth review but let’s just say that some of the magic that was lost for me in Red Seas over Red Skies is now back again.

Part of the reason is the flashbacks to when Locke and Jean were kids running scams and seeing Sabatha when she was part of their team. The other reason is Sabatha now. SHE IS AMAZING!!! You are either going to love her or hate her but I love her and I love Locke’s reactions to her.
“I’m, uh, going up to the room … to
Solseit
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Finally I sit down to write a thoughtful (let's say, trying to) review of the book.

This is just the best book yet on Locke and Jean. We are at a point in which we know the two are the closest buddies ever. They are (and continue to be) the priority on everything and everyone for each other.

Their dialogues are pure gold. I was listening to the audiobook while at the gym and I would giggle or laugh every now and again and people would stare at me as if I was crazy. The jury is still out there on
Natalie Monroe
"You're trying to be charming again," she said softly, "but I choose not to be charmed, Locke Lamora."

Long last, after three hefty books, we finally meet Locke's lost love, Sabetha Belacoros.

Quick crash course for those with short-term memory loss: Sabetha was a Gentleman Bastard and is hinted to be romantically involved with Locke, and then left for some unknown reason. Locke still loves her, but is slightly bitter about it.

That's from the first two books. In this one, we finally meet the
Artemas
Crooked Warden, Nameless Thirteenth, guide Scott Lynch’s pen swiftly through Locke Lamora’s next daring adventure. Grant him new ways of tickling my fancy with poetic swearing, witty scheming, and vicious storytelling.

So apparently the Nameless Thirteenth enjoys pissing on mortals and laughing at their prayers. THIS is what I’ve been waiting years for? THIS didn’t even have the same feel as the first two books in the beloved Gentlemen Bastards series. It felt more like a PG-13 version of an R ra
Will M.
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, fantasy, 2014
Blessed is the one who aids a thief, hides a thief, revenges a thief, and remembers a thief, for they shall inherit the night.

I used to think of the Gentleman Bastard series as a mediocre series, but this third instalment finally managed to impress me. Action wise, this had quite a few. Not enough to fully impress me, but quite adequate to keep things interesting. This novel felt more like a character development novel for Locke and the ever mysterious Sabetha.

So we finally get to
Connor
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: high-fantasy
Of the three books in the Gentleman Bastard series (Will there ever be any more?) I liked this one least. I really loved meeting Sabetha finally, and seeing Locke and her past. I also loved that we get more information on Locke's mysterious past. I wish this one had kept up the same sense of urgency and suspense that the first two books had though. I wasn't as captivated by the plot because this one focused so much on Locke and Sabetha's perpetually strained relationship. I'm looking forward to ...more
may ❀
well,,,,,,,,,,that epilogue was really a turn of events.

i'm freaking obsessed with this series, gIVE ME MORE

rtc
TS Chan
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this series. I love the Locke and Jean bromance. And I'm delighted with the humour, though crude, is strangely eloquent. However, the quality of the books seem to be dropping as the series progressed.

As engaging as the plot was, The Republic of Thieves did suffer from really uneven pacing; some setpieces were dragged out, some rushed through. What I did absolutely love from this book was the backstory Interludes which brought the reader back to Locke's much younger days
Nathan
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fantasy Review Barn

Spoilers from the first two books guaranteed.

Prologue

The young man has found a rekindled interest in the fantasy genre. Joe Abercrombie pulled him back in with The First Law. George RR Martin tried to break him. Eagerly the man searches forums for something new, something great, a series to follow for years to come. Making his choice he grabs one of the shelf, thinking “damn that is a long, awkward title.”

The man, slightly older, fires up his Kindle. It is finally here! Eage
Simeon
Aug 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
An unedited preview of the first 5500 words of the Republic of Thieves can be read here. Publication has also been pushed back to September, 2013.

I'm sorry all you gentlemen bastards, but now we wait.
Jesper
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual the worldbuilding is great. You really want to be a part of this world, the scents, the buildings, the people. The pace is a lot slower than the rest of the series and I found this one not quite as enjoyable as the prequels, but still a very good book.
Maxwell
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, i-own-it
Seeing as this is the 3rd book in a series, I don't want to say too much about the plot. I will say that I enjoyed this one much more than Red Seas Under Red Skies but still not quite as much as the first book The Lies of Locke Lamora.

I appreciate that we *finally* got to learn more about Sabetha, and the flashbacks in this book, YOU GUYS, the flashbacks were SO good. I loved the theatrical and political aspects of this one a lot. And as always, Locke & Jean are the ultimate BroTP (pretty sure
ChopinFC
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
full review...

The Republic of Thieves is yet another outstanding and highly entertaining continuation of the witty, highly sarcastic and definitely R17-rated series Gentleman Bastards!

4 ½ Stars

Again, Scott Lynch had me on the floor belly up laughing for most of the series, and trust me ‘The Republic of Thieves’ was just as fun as the previous 2 entries in the series! I’m a big believer of Goodreads, and all the wonderful (and some not so wonderful) reviews in here. Nothing is worse than reading
Jennifer Lim
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance, grimdark
Quit being so hard on yourself. We are what we are; we love what we love. We don't need to justify it to anyone... not even to ourselves.

Yes. You are absolutely correct, Locke. So no matter how unhappy I am with this installment, no matter how lovesick you were with Sabetha, no matter how thinner this book's plot is compared with the first two, no matter how bored I felt when Patience is talking, I am still giving this four stars, because gods damn it, I am so biased when it comes to Lynch
Mayim de Vries
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Without any doubts Gentleman Bastards is one of my favourite series to date even though from instalment to instalment it steadily goes down the slope with the full quintuple fuckdamn of stars for The Lies of Locke Lamora , three and a half star aboard for the Red Seas Under Red Skies and three very conflicted stars here.

If you remember, I had a feeling that the previous instalment of Gentleman Bastards was the book proper an accompanying pirate novella. Now, the Republic of Thieves is also a co
Veeral
The essence of The Republic of Thieves could be derived from one name:

Sabetha.

Yes, finally Sabetha Belacoros is here! And as expected, Sabetha’s and Locke’s relationship is central to the whole plot of ‘The Republic Of Thieves'.

The book is divided into two parts. The first one deals with the backstory of Locke and Sabetha - at Camorr (where they grew up) and at Espara, where the Gentleman Bastards are sent to perform on stage by Chains. The second plot starts right from where Red Seas Under Red
Ashley Marie
3.5 rounded up bc Locke. and the flashbacks. god the flashbacks.

"Here's to politics," said Sabetha. "Let's never hop in bed with it again."

If there's one takeaway from this book for me, that's it. Also, (view spoiler) Never EVER thought I would say that.

After the first book, I know I'd be a fool to NOT be wary of the Bondsmagi, any of them. And they finally make a spectacular reentrance here, much to the chagrin of our heroes (is that a spoiler?

• Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2)
  • Best Served Cold
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #1)
  • Emperor of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #3)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
  • The Heroes (First Law World, #5)
  • The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1)
  • Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2)
  • The Blood Mirror (Lightbringer, #4)
  • Red Country (First Law World, #6)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
I was born in St. Paul, Minnesota on April 2, 1978, the first of three brothers. I've lived in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area my entire life; currently, just across the border in Wisconsin, about half an hour east of the Twin Cities.

The Lies of Locke Lamora, my first novel, was bought by Simon Spanton at Orion Books in August, 2004. Prior to that I had just about every job you usually see in this s

Gentleman Bastard (7 books)
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
  • Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2)
  • The Thorn of Emberlain (Gentleman Bastard, #4)
  • The Ministry of Necessity (Gentleman Bastard, #5)
  • The Mage and the Master Spy (Gentleman Bastard, #6)
  • Inherit the Night (Gentleman Bastard, #7)