All About Books discussion

Past Posts > Nominations of Group Classic for Aug-Sep 2016

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (last edited Jun 24, 2016 03:26PM) (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments It's time once again to nominate your choices for our group classics read, this time for August and September. For convenience, we at AAB are defining a 'classic' as a book that was first published 50 or more years ago, i.e. first published in 1966 or earlier.

Nominations will be run for 5 days and will close late on Friday Saturday June 25th (or early on Saturday Sunday the 26th!). The poll will then run for a week from the 26th June until the 3rd of July.

During this time anybody can either nominate or second a book. The 6 books with the most second votes at the end of the 5 day nomination period will go into the poll. Each person can either nominate one book or second one book. There are no limits to the number of seconds a book can receive.

Please only nominate, second or vote for a book you will read with the group if it should win. Please also check that your chosen nomination hasn't been a group read in the past. You can do this by looking at the group bookshelf or browsing through the Group Fiction folder.

If you have any questions on the nominations process please post here, use the 'Ask the Moderators' thread or contact one of the moderators and we will be happy to help.

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I know it seems early to be thinking about books for August & September but the longer lead time has been helpful for people both in planning and in obtaining copies of the group book(s). So what classic do you want to read during the dog days of summer?? Nominate it here!

message 3: by Pink (new)

Pink I'd like to nominate The Odyssey please :)

message 4: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Pink, that has made me laugh! So you really have got withdrawal symptoms from Ulysses?!

message 5: by Pink (new)

Pink Gill wrote: "Pink, that has made me laugh! So you really have got withdrawal symptoms from Ulysses?!"

Yep! I've actually been planning all along to read this once I finished Ulysses. The wrong way round I suppose, but I think The Odyssey suits a summer read.

message 6: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Pink wrote: "Gill wrote: "Pink, that has made me laugh! So you really have got withdrawal symptoms from Ulysses?!"

Yep! I've actually been planning all along to read this once I finished Ulysses...."

OK, you've enticed me, I'll second The Odyssey.

message 7: by Petra (new)

Petra | 3246 comments I'd join in on an Odyssey read. Pink, it is a good summer choice.

message 8: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Petra wrote: "I'd join in on an Odyssey read. Pink, it is a good summer choice."Ooh, are you going to second it as well?

message 9: by Petra (new)

Petra | 3246 comments Yes!!....(forgot to say that; but meant to)

message 10: by Alice (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) Great choice! I read it last summer and enjoyed it tremendously (I read the Robert Fagles translation)!

message 11: by Pink (new)

Pink Oh that's great, thanks :)

Alice I have the same translation and I'm looking forward to it.

message 12: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments Pink, I've already read it twice and don't want to do a third reading. But it was a great choice of yours.

message 13: by Petra (new)

Petra | 3246 comments I have the Lattimore translation (The Odyssey). I've enjoyed this issue and will be reading it. It'll be fun to compare any differences.

message 14: by Karin (new)

Karin | 1928 comments I'd like to nominate A Tale of Two Cities.

message 15: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7359 comments Mod
I nominate Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

message 16: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Karin wrote: "I'd like to nominate A Tale of Two Cities."

I will second this.

message 17: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ I will second Tortilla Flat.

message 18: by Leslie (last edited Jun 22, 2016 06:18PM) (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments OK so we have:

The Odyssey (seconded x 2)
A Tale of Two Cities (seconded x 2)
Tortilla Flat (seconded)
The Invisible Man

message 19: by Petra (new)

Petra | 3246 comments All good choices.

message 20: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments How about The Invisible Man.

message 21: by Janessa (new)

Janessa | 638 comments I second A Tale Of Two Cities

message 22: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Myst wrote: "How about The Invisible Man."

I was saving this for when H.G. Wells is our seasonal author but would be happy to read it earlier! But I will hold off on seconding for now...

message 23: by katie (new)

katie | 74 comments I nominate The Good Earth. A woman writer I haven't read yet!

message 24: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7359 comments Mod
katie wrote: "I nominate The Good Earth. A woman writer I haven't read yet!"

I've already read it a couple times, but I love the book Katie!

message 25: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I'll second The Invisible Man.

message 26: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13139 comments Mod
And I The Good Earth. Read it years and years ago, it's high time I read it again.

message 27: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Thus far, we have

The Odyssey (seconded x 2)
A Tale of Two Cities (seconded x 2)
Tortilla Flat (seconded)
The Invisible Man (seconded)
The Good Earth (seconded)

message 28: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments It has been pointed out to me that the 25th is not Friday but Saturday! So in case you were wondering, there is still another day for nominations and seconds.

message 29: by Susie (last edited Jun 24, 2016 04:33PM) (new)

Susie | 179 comments Karin wrote: "I'd like to nominate A Tale of Two Cities."

Just finished this...great choice!

message 30: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Bradshaw (llawryf) | 589 comments The Odyssey is one of my goals this year, and I've kind of forgotten about it, so I third or fourth it or wherever we're at...

message 31: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Nominations are now closed. All 5 books are in the poll, which will be open for voting for a week. You can find the poll using the link on the upper right of the group page or use this link:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 32: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I have forgotten to post the winner - it was a pretty close race but The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells had a few more votes than the others.

message 33: by Pink (new)

Pink I'll look forward to see what everyone thinks of The Invisible Man and though I won't reread I'll try to join in the discussions. I think it was my first book by Wells and it was quite different to what I was expecting.

message 34: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7359 comments Mod
I've read it many times already, but it's a short one; so I guess I'll re-read and participate. I do like Wells in general; I find most of his major works highly enjoyable reads.

message 35: by LauraT (last edited Jul 13, 2016 03:45AM) (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13139 comments Mod
Good!
As Greg I've already read it, but being rather short, I think I'll look for it as audio book

message 36: by Free (new)

Free (freemaned) | 82 comments I just got this app called serial reader that breaks the book down into sections and sends you one per day. I think that's how I will be reading this book especially if it is short. Can wait!