Bright Young Things discussion

Chit Chat > How do we stimulate more discussion and debate on BYT?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 123 (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Nigeyb (last edited Jun 20, 2016 03:19AM) (new)

Nigeyb How do we stimulate more discussion and debate on BYT?

Barbara wrote: "I do wish that more members would get involved in voting and discussing...."

Amazingly at the time of writing we have 1,086 members but only a tiny percentage participate in discussions and initiate new ones.

So, with that in mind...

What are your ideas for how we can stimulate more discussion and debate, and get more people involved?

message 2: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb In another goodreads group that I participate the moderators have set up automatic email alerts for nominations, polls, and poll outcomes, so that all members get an email to remind them of these events.

What do you think? Might that encourage more of our 1,086 member to participate?

If you're reading this, and you don't currently participate, what would it take for you to get involved?

What prompted you to join the group? What do you want from it?

message 3: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 931 comments Interesting, Nigeyb - does it work well in the other group? I wonder if there's a danger that people would just vote and then not join in the discussions?

I think a lot of people at Goodreads belong to many different groups and only participate actively in a couple, if any, so there will probably always be a lot who are silent, but it would be nice to see participation a bit higher!

message 4: by Val (new)

Val One group I belong to sends out notifications for polls, which means members will not miss a vote to choose the book they would most like to read, but it does not ensure that everyone who votes for a book will read it or comment. We can ignore the ghost members who have never commented so far because they are unlikely to start now, but it can act as a reminder to those members who only participate occasionally.
I don't think there is a foolproof way of running a group, or of getting all members to participate, but this one does well, it has been active for several years and is not fizzling out, as so many groups do.

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (goodreadscomdawn_irena) Nigeyb~ in all the groups I participate in we have a set period of time to nominate and discuss new reads and then vote . Our moderators send automated emails out to everyone when it is time to nominate new reads and they give about a week to do so and place the polls up at the end of that 5-7 day period or at the end of nominating 6 books in each category whichever comes first.

For example , in our group we would send a notice out for new reading selections for August reads July 1st to give everyone time to get their books nominated , discussed, and finally casts their votes. The voting would be for each person at the same time to nominate a fiction and nonfiction read in either 5-7 days whichever we decide or to choose from a limited number of books nominated such as 6 ! So if six books are nominated in Fiction and nonfiction categories before the 5-7 day time period is up we could go ahead and vote. Each person is only allowed to nominate once for each category of fiction and nonfiction . This will mean to get a good poll we may have to go through our lists of friends and wake them up a bit and say , " Hey ! We have something new to try ! Please come and participate !"

Another thing is to have a discussion feed topic about our first impressions when we start a read :

Then another discussion feed as we are winding down :

Then a Final impressions discussion feed:

These types of things will keep the group more interested in what we read . It may also encourage people to choose more books that we all may not to be available .

We should also include topics that might might be about bargain book ideas , Bestsellers of interests on any topic, quizes to participate and challenge each other for fun... Links to look into ... Links to articles of interests and author talks that we can discuss... There are all types of things .

I found a great book that a friend was reading today that I have no clue about cost or where I can get a copy , but it is a nonfiction art book I would love for us all to give a look and share . The book is called - YOUTH AND BEAUTY: ART OF THE AMERICAN TWENTIES by : Teresa A. Carbone ( editor) , Bonnie Costello, Randall R. Griffey
It is a beautiful book about the Modernist Period of the Jazz Age with more than 200 illustrations that brings together a variety of artists and mediums arranged by themes . A book such as this could easily be shared as a group on a blog in a presentation and summary . Many of us have Instagram or TUMBLIR blogs as well as regular personal blogs .

Talents such as this could be used creatively shared right now and make our group a true group of Bright Young Things ! I am in the process of updating my blog to a more interactive type of site myself . I know that there are many more of you who have skills better than I do .

Most of us could just keep it simple and try to stick with a specific group of authors from a historic order on down and go from there. Maybe we should have more order. Or maybe we should go more relevant . We are in the prime period to study more about the Ottoman Empire and the Middle East. So that all of us could better realize what is going on with the ideology with the current radical versions of the ISIS believers so far from the more modern version of Muslim beliefs , we have the perfect opportunity to read and study this period of time in history and literature .

These are all ways to make everything in our group more exciting to bring back our members and add more. I do subscribe to BBC History and as an American , you would be so surprised how many overseas TV programs, series, movies, special documentaries , and other programs and podcasts I have access to that others stateside do also. The Internet has so many avenues !

Well, I still find that this group can be very exciting . We are all so diverse and that is exciting to me. I joined this group because I wanted to learn more about this time period from the point of view of people in other countries that I will probably never have the privilege to visit. My Mama did go to school in a boarding school with regular English kids from age 10 - 16. She loved her time there and learned so very much . I have always wanted to take her back for a visit , but she has lost her eyesight due to macular degeneration and my Daddy now has had cancer for two years. I am their caretaker . They are so wonderful , my loving parents. We live a wonderful life here laughing and always staying positive.

Please think about some of my ideas . If not let's put our heads together for better ideas !
Dawn

message 6: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb Thanks Dawn, thanks Val, and thanks Judy

I set up this thread after Barbara said "I do wish that more members would get involved in voting and discussing", which is a sentiment I agree with, particularly as there are such an extraordinary number of members who actively get involved. I am especially hoping we hear from some of them.

I agree that notifications might mean more votes but not more participation. As it is we get people who vote and then don't bother to join in the discussion.

Anyway there are some ideas here for Jennifer and Ally to consider - and hopefully we might get some more ideas too

Thanks again

message 7: by CQM (new)

CQM For my part I read a lot of the discussions but tend not to reply because I'm not one for group reads. Various reasons for this, mainly I have to be in a certain mood to read a particular book and I can on occasion be a shockingly slow reader.
My main reason for being in the group is to find out about books I may not know from a time I am interested in. I suppose I don't comment so much is because I feel I will look a little odd commenting on books and then most likely not reading along with you.

message 8: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb CQM2 wrote: "I suppose I don't comment so much is because I feel I will look a little odd commenting on books and then most likely not reading along with you. "

Thanks CQM2 - that's very considerate, however, as someone who always enjoys reading your comments (both here and over at the auld Patrick Hamilton Appreciation Society), I say make free and easy with your comments, whether you intend to read the book or not.

message 9: by CQM (new)

CQM Nigeyb wrote: "CQM2 wrote: "I suppose I don't comment so much is because I feel I will look a little odd commenting on books and then most likely not reading along with you. "

Thanks CQM2 - that's very considera..."

In that case I will do, and on your head be it!

message 10: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb Hurrah. Fasten your seatbelts, it’s going to be a bumpy ride...

message 11: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (goodreadscomdawn_irena) I agree we should always have a current thread of Stuff and Nonsense thread or just Catch me up on you Thread going on at all times so you can go back and add comments about things we have talked about in the past or current thoughts if interests, new ideas or impressions about our reads , etc... That allows everyone to comment and read at their own pace too! I agree that everyone should be able to respond whenever they want and read whatever they choose. So CQM2 ( however you can type that on your keyboard you must tell me the secret so I will not address you wrong and hurt your feelings- I am sorry) you are spot on to do just as you are. I am so glad to meet you ~ Dawn

message 12: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn (nzfriend) | 651 comments CQM2 wrote: "For my part I read a lot of the discussions but tend not to reply because I'm not one for group reads. Various reasons for this, mainly I have to be in a certain mood to read a particular book and ..."

This is a lot of my feelings on the issue, at least lately. I've been in such a funk with reading lately, that even books I've nominated, I may not actually be in the mood to read it. (e.g. This month with Manhattan Transfer. I nominated it and it won, but, even though I like it when I'm reading it, it's not what I go to when I want to read something.)

Also, I don't have the resources to get all the books that win or are nominated. I don't have an ereader, I can't afford to buy all of them in hardcopy, and because I do already own so many books, when we moved last year I never signed up for a library card here. I have so many books to read that I have ready access to, if one of those isn't nominated/doesn't win, I'm not likely to participate. I do like this group for finding out about new books though.

Additionally, I feel like I have fairly narrow interests (at least in some regards), which doesn't always lend itself well to what to nominate or what's being nominated by others. And in the opposite direction, I'm getting more interested in other periods, which limits how much reading I do on our era.

So, all that being said, I don't really have any suggestions to stimulate discussion. I do like the idea of automated emails. I don't usually check in unless I get a notification that there's a new comment on a thread I've already commented on. I only roughly know the schedule of when nomination threads and polls go up, so emails would be great.

I joined the group because I started reading Evelyn Waugh and spun off from there. For this group, my interest is definitely more in just the 20s, so when there are group reads outside of that, I'm less likely to be involved. I like finding out about new things, but that doesn't always translate into actually reading about them or participating.

I feel like this has been really rambling, so I'm going to stop now, but I did want to chime in a bit, even though I don't really have solutions/suggestions.

message 13: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (goodreadscomdawn_irena) Bronwyn - I am happy to hear what you said ! To me the Roaring Twenties period is the part I consider the BYT's ! They are the ones during this period of time that came about between the two wars and either with anger or wild shocking ideas and ways made their Bright Young Voices heard and their bodies were seen protesting and expressing in words, music , and art everything exciting ! In spite of the tragedy of war and the bad parts the young were going to rebel and party while trying to figure out what life was meaning for their future and obviously they really did not want to think about it .

I am reading Anthony Powell's A Dance to the Movement of Time with that group right now and it gives you this feeling about this time period right away ! I have been thinking this is one of the best twelve volume book collections of historical fiction that really allows you to feel you are there through it all !

The twenties and thirties literature is a big part of the group ! So just join in as you can and borrow books from friends or the library as you feel. Or check out some of the resources online . On your computer , you have access to all apps too, I believe. Also on phone apps you can read on wifi all you want.

I think you have wonderful input , Bronwyn !
I enjoy your head peeping in anytime ! I have limited time to comment but I have been trying to be better .
Dawn

message 14: by Roisin (new)

Roisin | 729 comments This is a difficult one. I don't mind group reads, like Bronwyn and others, to read what interests me and that is quite mixed.

On one group that I'm a member of in terms of group reads, one of the moderators would put a list of questions to help stimulate debate, which can be quite useful.

message 15: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb Roisin wrote: "On one group that I'm a member of in terms of group reads, one of the moderators would put a list of questions to help stimulate debate, which can be quite useful."

That’s a good idea Roisin. As it happens, I posed eight questions on the Manhattan Transfer discussion, but no one has answered any yet. I’ve done it a few times before and it’s never really resulted in much take up.

Building on your splendid idea Roisin, I wonder if agreeing a discussion leader for each book might help. I was interested to read Bronwyn’s comment...

Bronwyn wrote: "This month, I'd nominated Manhattan Transfer and it won, but, even though I like it when I'm reading it, it's not what I go to when I want to read something."

This made me think that if someone nominates a book, and it wins, but then, when the time comes, that person then doesn’t feel enthused about the book or the discussion, we should probably have someone (maybe the nominator, maybe someone else) who takes responsibility for leading the discussion. The discussion leader’s role being to add comments, ask questions, reply to contributions, find relevant articles etc. throughout the month.

Another idea could be to search other GoodReads readers who are currently reading, have recently read, or who plan to read, a book we are doing as a group read and message them to alert that person to our discussion. I think I’d be quite flattered if I got a message like that, and at the very least would check out the discussion.

Anyway, once again, thanks to everyone who has made suggestions, some good ones for Jennifer and Ally to mull over.

message 16: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb Nigeyb wrote: "...we should probably have someone (maybe the nominator, maybe someone else) who takes responsibility for leading the discussion. The discussion leader’s role being to add comments, ask questions, reply to contributions, find relevant articles etc. throughout the month."

I am willing to trial this idea next month (July 2016) for our fiction group read of Journey by Moonlight. I nominated it, so I feel a sense of responsibility. Having already read it, and enjoyed it, I also feel very positively towards it. What do you think? Worth a try?

Anyone else up for trialling the discussion reader idea for our non fiction read next month? It's "Forgotten Voices of the Somme: The Most Devastating Battle of the Great War in the Words of Those Who Survived" by Joshua Levine.

message 17: by Jennifer W (last edited Jun 22, 2016 09:06AM) (new)

Jennifer W | 1002 comments Mod
A couple of quick comments. Please, don't take this to be a case of "THE MODERATOR HAS SPOKEN" and feel that this closes further comments! :)

I abhor sending out notices of polls. (hehe, and I said this wasn't to be THE MODERATOR HAS SPOKEN ;) I've done it in other groups and I've seen it done and it creates exactly what several of you have mentioned: people vote and never show up again. I understand what Bronwyn is saying about losing interest in a group read, it's happened to me several times, too, but better that than someone having a say and not intending to participate at all, in my opinion.

That said, I don't have a problem sending out a "hey we're nominating books" and a "hey we're reading Book X, come join us" message. As long as people don't feel getting those messages will be annoying.

I really like the idea of questions or discussion leaders. I have seen many members do such things on their own. I think it depends on the book. Also, I've noticed it helps if the book has a "champion" who really loves the book and wants the rest of us to discover what a great book it is. Some books lend themselves to discussion better than others.

Along those lines, perhaps it's worth nominating some more "mainstream" selections. The sort of books that people read in high school or university or the sort of book that "oh, I always meant to read that." On the flip side, I know many of us (myself included) love this group because we find and discover those books that we've never heard of. It's a balancing act.

While I would love to see more of our 1,000+ members participate (they must have joined for SOME reason), I think our discussions have often been thought-provoking and engaging as they are.

message 18: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb I agree with all of that Jennifer. On reflection I think the poll emails are more annoying than helpful - but, as you suggest, perhaps ones at the start of the nomination process might generate some interest, or maybe one at the start of each discussion might be even more helpful.

message 19: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn (nzfriend) | 651 comments I think that's a good suggestion, Jennifer, the notices about nominations taking place rather than polls.

I like the idea of having more popular/common? books being suggested or chosen too. I know there's a lot of books I should've read in school that I didn't then or possibly still haven't that I'd be interested. Then there might also be discussion questions or prompts available online also. Those types of books might also get more people reading them since they'd, presumably, be easier to track down or we might already have copies of.

I like the idea of someone sort of leading discussions but I don't know that I would personally like to do that, so if it's that the person that nominated a book would be that person... it might honestly keep me from nominating things as often as I try to. :/ I realize that's hypocritical of me, since I do like the idea otherwise though.

message 20: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 931 comments Nigeyb wrote: "Nigeyb wrote: ".Anyone else up for trialling the discussion reader idea for our non fiction read next month? It's "Forgotten Voices of the Somme: The Most Devastating Battle of the Great War in the Words of Those Who Survived" by Joshua Levine.

I nominated this one and was already intending to take an active role by posting comments and finding articles and links etc - I do always try to help stimulate discussion on a book I've nominated. However, there may well be others who know a lot more about the subject than I do, as there certainly were with the Easter Rising discussion.

message 21: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 931 comments Jennifer W wrote: "That said, I don't have a problem sending out a "hey we're nominating books" and a "hey we're reading Book X, come join us" message. "

I already receive an automated notice from the group whenever a book discussion is about to start - I think Goodreads sends these out automatically as they have a link to buy the book, but they are a useful reminder too. However it might be worth trying personalised messages too?

message 22: by CQM (new)

CQM I agree with Bronwyn regarding not wanting to take the lead in a discussion if a book I had nominated was to win. It's a good idea in theory but in practice I do think it may put some people of making suggestions

message 23: by Lynaia (new)

Lynaia | 153 comments I agree with Bronwyn that if by nominating a book I had to lead the discussion, I would probably avoid nominating. I think it's a good idea to have someone lead on a discussion but I don't know how we should decide who will do it. I'm afraid the same people would probably end up doing it all the time and then they might get tired of the group.

message 24: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1525 comments I'm with Bronwyn. I'm in another group and since they started having the nominator lead the discussion I haven't nominated a single book. I think I did attempt to lead one discussion but it was an abysmal failure. Either no one else read the book or wanted to admit to it.

Leading a discussion would mean I would have to start nominating books that I've already read. I guess I prefer a more free-form discussion. And I'm not sure that posing questions helps all that much. I did post some for our Ulysses discussion from my library group's reading of the book.

I didn't find this group. It found me. I believeLost Horizon by James Hilton had been nominated for a read, and I was reading it at the time, and Ally invited me to join the group. I don't think we ever did read any of Hilton's books. Do we still look for people like that? Inviting people who are actually reading the books we are nominating?

message 25: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb Interesting points. We definitely don't want to put people off from nominating books. On the other hand I think if you nominate a book, and it wins, you should make a bit of an effort to, if not lead, then contribute.

In terms of leading a discussion, I think it should be quite simple to just post a few extra responses and, maybe think of a few questions. But, I do understand that not everyone is comfortable with doing that, so let's agree that there is no onus on anyone who nominates a book to lead a discussion?

message 26: by Barbara (new)

Barbara If only our book discussions got this much input!!

I've been thinking about this question for a couple of days now, hoping to come up with some great idea. That hasn't happened.

I do think the idea of emailing members when it's time to nominate books would be helpful, as well as at the start of the discussion. I don't know how difficult/time consuming that would be.

We might also try a one-time email asking for everyone's suggestions and giving people the opportunity to drop their membership if they are no longer interested. Looking through our member list the other day I saw many, many people who have belonged to BYT for years and have never made a single comment. I can understand not commenting every month (I know I don't, even though I always intend to), but NEVER? It seems that they are not really interested.

I did an internet search for ideas. There are quite a few sites offering suggestions for book groups--usually in-person groups. One suggestion I liked was to encourage each member to come up with three things about the book--questions, a passage that struck them, a related link or movie--something that would stimulate discussion. Perhaps if we all tried that, we could get more talk going.

I agree that more classic books might help--better availability for everyone and the possibility of finding questions and other links online.

I like Dawn's suggestion of quizzes too.

message 27: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb Barbara wrote: "One suggestion I liked was to encourage each member to come up with three things about the book--questions, a passage that struck them, a related link or movie--something that would stimulate discussion. Perhaps if we all tried that, we could get more talk going."

That's a great suggestion Barbara. Thank you. Could everyone who nominates a winning book, or votes for a winning book, commit to do that?

message 28: by CQM (new)

CQM Sounds fair enough to me.

message 29: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb Thanks CQM2

message 30: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn (nzfriend) | 651 comments Nigeyb wrote: "Barbara wrote: "One suggestion I liked was to encourage each member to come up with three things about the book--questions, a passage that struck them, a related link or movie--something that would..."

I do think that's fair, since at the least we could google for question ideas, but I will go back to my earlier point... I nominated Manhattan Transfer and am trying to read it, but can't really get into it. I could post questions for people to try to answer, but it's not going to help me get more involved in the discussion since I'm struggling with actually reading it. I don't know what the solution is, and I'm more than willing to try and post questions even if I can't answer them myself, but saying "you nominated it/voted for it, you have to come up with talking points" doesn't seem like the best way to do it. Again, I don't know what the answer is though, so I'm definitely up for trying anything to help stimulate participation and discussion.

message 31: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb Thanks Bronwyn. Just picking up on a few of your thoughts...

Bronwyn wrote: “...I will go back to my earlier point... I nominated Manhattan Transfer and am trying to read it, but can't really get into it”

That’s very interesting Bronwyn, and raises some intriguing questions, for example...

What was your motivation for nominating Manhattan Transfer?
What were your expectations?
How is it different to what you were expecting?
Why do you think you are 'struggling with actually reading it'?
What do you think of what you have read so far?
To what extent do you want to finish it?
Are you just not in the mood for it? Or is just not for you?

etc.

Bronwyn wrote: “I'm more than willing to try and post questions even if I can't answer them myself, but saying "you nominated it/voted for it, you have to come up with talking points" doesn't seem like the best way to do it.”

I think the onus is on all of us to try and come up with discussion points, and I am glad that you agree with Barbara’s splendid suggestion to…

Barbara wrote: "...encourage each member to come up with three things about the book--questions, a passage that struck them, a related link or movie--something that would stimulate discussion."

That said, I also think that the nominator has an extra responsibility to contribute and get involved. As I mention above, finding a book difficult, or unappealing, can still provide material for discussion.

In my real world book group, the best discussions are when we have different responses to the same book. When everyone agrees it is less interesting.

Bronwyn wrote: “I'm definitely up for trying anything to help stimulate participation and discussion.”

Great news.

The thing to remember is that we’re all here for pleasure. We will get out of it what we put in. Barbara’s suggestion seems to embody that attitude - if we all make an effort to post a few thoughts and ideas then our discussions will become richer, and more interesting, insightful and enjoyable.

message 32: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn (nzfriend) | 651 comments I don't know if this is the place to answer these, but I'll do it anyhow. :)

What was your motivation for nominating Manhattan Transfer? - It's one I own and have wanted to read.
What were your expectations? / How is it different to what you were expecting? - I didn't really have any.
Why do you think you are 'struggling with actually reading it'? - I think I'm just not in the mood for fiction, or this fiction, right now.
What do you think of what you have read so far? - I've enjoyed it, I just never want to actually read it, so when I want to read I pick up other things.
To what extent do you want to finish it? - Eventually I'd like to, but I'd rather not struggle through it and hate it because I wasn't enjoying reading it.
Are you just not in the mood for it? Or is just not for you? - Maybe both? I don't know. Right now I'd just say I'm not in the mood.

"That said, I also think that the nominator has an extra responsibility to contribute and get involved. As I mention above, finding a book difficult, or unappealing, can still provide material for discussion."
"The thing to remember is that we’re all here for pleasure."
For me though, these things don't mesh. I'm not going to nominate as much if I think I'm expected to participate more just because I nominated a thing. I can be interested in a thing, and nominate it, but if when I actually start reading it I'm not interested (not that I don't like it, I agree that can stimulate discussion), I'm not going to have anything to participate with. Sure, I can go through the motions of finding questions and posing them, but that's still not me actually participating in the discussion. This would cause me to only nominate things I've already read or am currently reading and enjoying. Maybe I just want something different out of this group than it seems the overall group wants, and that's fine, but I'll have to adjust my participation accordingly, and therefore probably not nominate or participate as much... :/

message 33: by Nigeyb (last edited Jun 25, 2016 10:39AM) (new)

Nigeyb Thanks for explaining that Bronwyn.

Bronwyn wrote: "I can be interested in a thing, and nominate it, but if when I actually start reading it I'm not interested (not that I don't like it, I agree that can stimulate discussion), I'm not going to have anything to participate with. Sure, I can go through the motions of finding questions and posing them, but that's still not me actually participating in the discussion. This would cause me to only nominate things I've already read or am currently reading and enjoying."

I understand that sometimes, when you get to a book, you discover that you’re not interested, but isn’t that quite rare?

Either way, there is still something there that you could contribute to a discussion, as you illustrate with your responses to the questions about Manhattan Transfer (which I think you should add to the discussion thread). There is also more scope to reflect further on what it is that you are not enjoying about Manhattan Transfer if you chose to.

I’ve only read an excerpt of Manhattan Transfer so far, but I have been following the discussion with interest as I was intrigued by the sample I read. Barbara and Judy have both responded enthusiastically to the book, and I would have thought they would be quite happy to say more about what they liked about it, and perhaps that might help you to, either feel more interested, or to clarify what it is that is not drawing you in. It just seems to me that, no matter how you respond to a book, there is always something to discuss with other readers.

Anyway, having said all that, I don’t want you to feel you should stop nominating because you and I have different opinions on the extent to which people should make an effort to discuss books.

This thread was inspired by Barbara’s wish for more participation in our monthly discussions. Something I would like to happen too.

By starting this thread I hoped to stimulate ideas and, hopefully, also come up with some tangible suggestions that might help to achieve more participation.

My intention was never to pressurise people into discussing books they don’t want to, or coming up with a set of hard and fast rules for our nominations or discussions. So, please, do carry on nominating, and only join in any discussions when and if you feel like it.

So, getting back to the original question, how do we stimulate more discussion and debate on BYT?

message 34: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 931 comments Bronwyn, I'm glad you did nominate Manhattan Transfer as I'm enjoying it a lot.

I didn't do very well with discussing Phantom of the Opera, which I nominated - I think I was quite busy that month and also I enjoyed the book less than I'd expected to. I did post a few comments but they were mainly about film versions!

message 35: by Judy (last edited Jun 25, 2016 02:53PM) (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 931 comments Thinking about this whole subject a bit more, I agree with the suggestion that a few reads on very popular and widely available books might stimulate discussion and help to bring more people in - maybe we could revisit one or two of the most popular titles from the period which have already been read a few years back?

message 36: by Roisin (new)

Roisin | 729 comments I don't think there would be much harm in that.

message 37: by Jennifer W (new)

We can certainly renominate old favorites, but I think there are lots of famous, well known works that we haven't gotten to yet! We're only just getting to our first Huxley, after all!

message 38: by Jennifer W (new)

I like the idea of coming to discussions with a few comments, but I don't want anyone to feel obligated. This is a fun, informal group, not a college class!

message 39: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1525 comments Jennifer W wrote: "I like the idea of coming to discussions with a few comments, but I don't want anyone to feel obligated. This is a fun, informal group, not a college class!"

I think that's why I was a little stunned by the thought of a quiz!

I'm kind of enjoying Manhattan Transfer. And I definitely enjoyed Phantom more than I thought I would.

message 40: by Barbara (last edited Jun 26, 2016 08:25AM) (new)

Barbara Oh Jan, I wasn't suggesting a quiz that we all have to take and pass to move on to the next book! I'm a sucker for all those Facebook quizzes about "what do you know about World War I" etc. I enjoy Goodreads quizzes like this:

https://www.goodreads.com/quizzes/111...

I just like them to challenge myself and to see what I remember. I thought they might appeal to others in that way.

I wholeheartedly agree that this should be a "fun, informal group, not a college class."

message 41: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1525 comments Well, of course. I do occasionally do those kind of quizzes. Just got 70% on the Gatsby one.

message 42: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (goodreadscomdawn_irena) Barbara ~ I love the idea of some competitive quizzes ! Maybe each person could set up a short quiz after each read just for fun ! We can just have Alley or Jennifer post our scores as we go or something to see who is ahead . But I thing you can make up a quiz for all of good reads and it posts the scores under your name . Then all you have to do is send scores or whatever !

That would be fun !

We also could have at least the people who nominate a book have one question chosen for a thread for a discussion topic ??? Something as simple as which character is most like you and why ? HA! Or you are making a movie of the novel, who would you cast as .... ? OR What do you think the character's motivation was behind telling .... ?

We can comment as we read . Just set your settings for responses too keep up with what is being said and hide spoilers ?

These ideas we are suggesting so far need a vote now . We need to write them up as suggestions and say yay or nay !

Don't you agree Ally and Jennifer . Then we can get started on a new goal . Maybe revise our group rules at the beginning for newcomers . Then maybe we will begin having some great participation.

Does everyone think we are ready for a vote?

Dawn

message 43: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb I love your enthusiasm Dawn. Thank you.

I am not sure whether we want to create hard and fast rules, or indeed if we should vote on the ideas that have been suggested so far.

Whilst everyone seems to agree that more involvement and participation is desirable, not everyone wants to feel compelled to contribute or post questions.

My sense is that we should probably encourage each other to post more comments and ask more questions and then just let everyone determine the extent to which they want to be involved.

If some of us ask questions and share thoughts and ideas, then hopefully others will feel inspired to respond or contribute more.

message 44: by Lynaia (new)

Lynaia | 153 comments I know that as soon as you make something mandatory, I start thinking of it as homework and a lot of enjoyment disappears for me. I would feel a natural sense of obligation to contribute to conversation if a book I nominated was selected but I shy away if I feel it's a rule of the group.

message 45: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1525 comments Yes, this isn't really a group that seems to hang on to hard and fast rules. Our only hard and fast rule, as far as I know, is our time period. That's how it should be.

That being said, we should encourage people to contribute. But it shouldn't be a rule of membership.

Maybe it is the books we have been choosing.

message 46: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (goodreadscomdawn_irena) Nigyeb and everyone : I did not mean RULES ! So very sorry I used the wrong word . I just thought the purpose of this thread was to find ways to permanently bring in more participation . These are great ideas on this page . With good communication and some organization you can bring things around so that everyone will feel better and more comfortable participating in group votings and discussions. You just do baby steps . Groups are so much more fun when you have more people to laugh and discuss the things that are so wonderful about reading and that is that we relate to the human nature of all mankind in books . We are never alone with a book in hand and we can always travel with a book in hand .

By voting properly to include a chance and time for everyone to have just one vote and one nominationation by a suitable set cut off time for both categories each month ahead of the next and adding that to the WELCOME GUIDLINES not RULES , it was just a suggestion to allow more chance for everyone to participate. We could even start with alphabetical order and go down the line each month to let some of the shy group members nominate a book of choice first . A sort of break the ice or skip it pass . Then go on to next person . But everything would all be at free will but just a bit more invititing by bringing the communication to the members to draw them back into the fold or fun ! No RULES !
I am so sorry I miscommunicated my message.
But it would be up to Ally and Jennifer to decide to add some of our suggestions or have a poll on our suggestions . We have moderators for that purpose . I know and understand that .
This group was Ally and Jennifer's idea and they will decide if they want to talk about doing something to better the group or actually do something to better the group . I will look forward to see what exciting things they decide in going forward with BYTs !
Dawn

message 47: by Nigeyb (last edited Jun 28, 2016 12:59AM) (new)

Nigeyb Thanks as always Dawn

Dawn wrote: "This group was Ally and Jennifer's idea and they will decide if they want to talk about doing something to better the group or actually do something to better the group."

I think it was who Ally started the group, and then Jennifer became a moderator.

Ally does not appear to be involved anymore. She pops up from time to time but then disappears for long periods. When the group started she would facilitate all the discussions but she hasn't done that for a few years now. I hope she will come back one day as a regular presence and get back involved, as she gave the group a lot of energy and was good at stimulating discussion.

Jennifer does a wonderful job setting up the nomination threads, discussion threads and the polls, and also she reads quite a few of the winning nominations and gets involved in the discussions. Thank you Jennifer.

My sense is that Jennifer, and Ally when she appears, are very receptive and open to ideas from group members about how to try and make the group better. The reason for explaining all that is twofold:

(1) Jennifer can correct anything I have got wrong.

(2) Every member can initiate ideas and make things happen. For example, Jennifer had the Hot Reads idea which has been very successful; we recently started a film section; and we've had annual reading challenges that have been democratically agreed amongst the members and have worked well.

So, if anyone has any ideas, I would say you are free to suggest things and try to make them happen if others seem enthusiastic.

message 48: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb Padilla wrote: "Wouldn't mind notifications. If nothing else, it would encourage me to make Goodreads a part of my daily internet routine..."

I'm pretty sure you can set that up yourself Padilla. Go into "Edit Membership" on the group home page and there are email alerts you can configure. I don't like getting too many emails and so don't have them set.

That said, I do also know that moderators can also send emails to everyone in the group, no matter how individual members have set up their own alerts.

message 49: by Jennifer W (new)

So, if anyone has any ideas, I would say you are free to suggest things and try to make them happen if others seem enthusiastic.

Absolutely! You can always start a thread about something and see where it goes. It's been very infrequent (if ever) that Ally or I have put a kibosh on something. If you are shy or uncertain about it, just shoot me a message.

message 50: by Jennifer W (new)

The sense I've gotten is that people would like me to send out a message when we start a group read and also for nominations. I will do so starting July 1. I will not be sending out an invite for voting, but I usually start that around the 12th or 13th and run it for 10 days.

As far as contributing to the reads, everyone should add as much as they feel comfortable, but not feel obligated or like it's "homework". If people want to post links to quizzes, outside articles, movies based on the books, etc, please feel free to do so.

I think we can see where some of these good ideas take us!

« previous 1 3