Support for Indie Authors discussion

Fun > Have you ever been Squeed?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

C.B. Archer | 1090 comments Mod
The other day I went to my writer's group and I got squeed!

A person I had not met previously was there, and I could tell they were nervous. When I introduced myself they let out an excited squeaking noise and said that they knew who I was, and they had to come to this because they were a huge fan of mine after reading my first book and had to meet me.

I was shocked, I never expected something like that to ever happen.

How about you, have you ever been squeed?
(Or even just met an excited fan)

message 2: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 447 comments The first fan I ever met in the wild was when my wife and I were being introduced to a group of people.

"Martin Wilsey? The author?!"

Problem was, we were at a funeral...

message 3: by Lyra (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 126 comments That is FANtastic. I've yet to have that happen, though I have some some sqeeable friends who really like my books. That's wonderful, though. Must have felt awesome!

message 4: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

Martin wrote: "The first fan I ever met in the wild was when my wife and I were being introduced to a group of people.

"Martin Wilsey? The author?!"

Problem was, we were at a funeral..."

Honestly, that sounds like the blurb for a black comedy.

message 5: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

Lyra wrote: "That is FANtastic. I've yet to have that happen, though I have some some sqeeable friends who really like my books. That's wonderful, though. Must have felt awesome!"

I think they were most surprised by the fact that I am a cartoon character - even in person!

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) I encountered that once when by chance I met a woman who was my Facebook friend, but we had never met. It was not about books, just Facebook. That was also at a funeral.

message 7: by Ben (new)

Ben Mariner That happened to me once, but I think it was more of an allergic reaction to something.

message 8: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

Ben wrote: "That happened to me once, but I think it was more of an allergic reaction to something."

Were you allergic to funerals perhaps?

message 9: by Lyra (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 126 comments C.B. wrote: "I think they were most surprised by the fact that I am a cartoon character - even in person!"

Lol! I nearly spit out my bagel. Thanks.

message 10: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4269 comments Mod
Generally if I hear a squee, it's followed by a scream of "I have a restraining order!"

message 11: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) I didn't get a squee, but I got an "Oh, yo, your books are da bomb! You're really good." (Complete with hand/arm motion.)

Twice in my life, I have had my online life collide with real life, being introduced to someone who says, "Wait, are you THE Pam Workman???" LOL.

message 12: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

I count 'Da Bombs' and 'Restraining orders' as being on the same level as a squee.
The important thing is that you were made. (recognized) :)

message 13: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

V.M. wrote: "CB - I think once you've had your first SQUEE, you've officially reached Live Action Anime Love Interest Character status!

I applaud you with army of excited schoolgirls and one cat (who's kinda m..."

That is the best news ever! Thank you!

message 14: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 317 comments C.B. wrote: "The other day I went to my writer's group and I got squeed!

A person I had not met previously was there, and I could tell they were nervous. When I introduced myself they let out an excited squeak..."

Wow! That is great. What a delight.

I kinda got squeed once at a fan convention where I introduced myself to the group and another fan squealed my name and said they were excited to meet me. I had no idea how to react, other than blush and say thanks.

message 15: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 317 comments V.M. wrote: "CB - I think once you've had your first SQUEE, you've officially reached Live Action Anime Love Interest Character status!

I applaud you with army of excited schoolgirls and one cat (who's kinda m..."

Hahah, sounds perfect for CB, since he already is a character.

message 16: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments Wow! I can't imagine that happening to me! Respect!

message 17: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

@Anthony - I couldn't imagine it happening to me either! :)

@Nat - I am a bit of a scamp, I agree! ;)

message 18: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) No, I can't say that has happened, but I did get to witness it in all its glory this weekend when a fan of author J. Leigh Bralick met her at the comicon this weekend. There was much squeeing, both by the fan and those of us who were choking up like we were at a wedding.

message 19: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

Christina wrote: "No, I can't say that has happened, but I did get to witness it in all its glory this weekend when a fan of author J. Leigh Bralick met her at the comicon this weekend. There was mu..."

Awe wonderful! That is great to hear!

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Jensen (kdragon) | 468 comments I've had this happen with my fanfiction, but only over the Internet. I look forward to it happening with one of my published novels one day, hopefully.

message 21: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Melissa wrote: "I've had this happen with my fanfiction, but only over the Internet. I look forward to it happening with one of my published novels one day, hopefully."

If I meet you, or a vast number of the talented authors here, you bet I'm gonna squee!

message 22: by Angelmovingonup (new)

Angelmovingonup Wjesus | 33 comments That's very cool. I can't wait to get a reaction like that from something I've written. Congratulations.

message 23: by Wally (new)

Wally Runnels (wrunnelspacbellnet) | 90 comments Looking forward to my first squeed. Congratulations.

message 24: by C.M. (new)

C.M. Halstead (cmhalstead) | 45 comments Lol. Funny awesome.

I had someone buy a book from me on the first day of a garage sale (we had new books on sale along with the garage sale items), she went home and read it that night. She game back the next day to "buy more stuff", she did buy more stuff, although she spent a lot of time looking at me nervously and kinda squirmed when she was standing near me.

That was the first time I experienced "the change". Here's hoping we all have to get used to it as our following grow!

message 25: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) | 424 comments I squeed once when I met a celebrity. A doctor said it was an unnatural occurrence and gave me some medicine called Chill Pills.

I've only been fake squeed (see the thread about Cheep and Goofy Way to advertise). That embarrassed me, so I have no idea what will happen if it's ever for real. Probably go full stutter mode and turn the color of the Kool-Aid Man.

message 26: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 727 comments Oooh! No, it hasn't happened to me. ;-(
I want a squee!!! (*stamps foot whilst pouting*)

message 27: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

T.L. wrote: "Oooh! No, it hasn't happened to me. ;-(
I want a squee!!! (*stamps foot whilst pouting*)"

SQUEEEEEE! TL!
*Hyperventilates.*
I can't believe it!
*Faints*
*slyly opens eye*
(how was that?)

message 28: by Zoltán (new)

Zoltán (witchhunter) | 267 comments With no, or just a few readers in my own country, I doubt I will be squeed in the near future :)
I might as well be sitting on the Moon.

Anyone in a similar situation who's ever been squeed?
Tourist spotting you?
Little grey people recognizing you while taking samples during a kidnapping? (If you remember that...)
Streetview picture spotted by a squeeeee-fan?

message 29: by Nick (new)

Nick East (nickeast) | 5 comments I've had a few SQUEE! on the story I'm posting on Wattpad, but I've about the same number of "I don't get what this is about" :)

message 30: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

Side Note: I would squee for everyone here!

message 31: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) | 424 comments I imagine that the rare occasion of a squee is really cool. I can't imagine though what actors go through. I've heard the squees at cons.

What do you think it might be like to have a whole room squee at you? o_o

message 32: by Nick (new)

Nick East (nickeast) | 5 comments It might be squeelalicious, but I wouldn't know :P

message 33: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

I imagine that it would be much like getting a *WORD MODERATED* from an angel, on the steps of Heaven, but then they go and ruin it by *STRING OF WORDS MODERATED*.

An uplifting experience that eventually gets old.

message 34: by Zoltán (new)

Zoltán (witchhunter) | 267 comments C.B. wrote: "Side Note: I would squee for everyone here!"

OK. If I get to Canada, I'll make sure to have a detour :P

message 35: by Lyra (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 126 comments C.B. wrote: "Side Note: I would squee for everyone here!"

That sounds so wrong. :P

message 36: by Missy (new)

Missy Sheldrake (missysheldrake) | 252 comments C.B. That's so awesome! And that the person tracked you down to squee you is even moreso! I love stories like that!

message 37: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments C. B. That must have been the best feeling in the world. Something every author aspires to. I think it is a sign you've made it. :) congrats!

message 38: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 606 comments Whenever I see this thread title, I think, "squeezed so hard you peed", but the other meaning is better :).

I would love to be squeed! I am not sure how that would happen while using a pen name, unless it was at a book specific event. Hopefully someday.

Congrats to C.B. and the other authors here for being squee-ees!

message 39: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

@Zoltan - I will be here! :D

@Lara - That is half the reason I say anything, honestly.

@Missy - Yes, they are friends with others in the writing group. They left my book at her house, all sneaky like, with a note of 'Read me'. I was like Alice!

@G.G. - It is a threshold certainly! I was shocked. It was also great.

@Marie - Don't give up! I have a pen name and am a cartoon elf! It can happen to you to!

message 40: by Eldon, Lost on the road to Mordor (new)

Eldon Farrell | 273 comments Mod
Can honestly say I've never been squeed but imagine that it must be an awesome feeling. Congratulations to those who have!!

message 41: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments Never been squeed.

Would probably be scared.

Dearly beloved was asked for autograph once. Went the colour of a tomato. Me and dog fell in bushes laughing.

message 42: by Eldon, Lost on the road to Mordor (new)

Eldon Farrell | 273 comments Mod
Jane wrote: "Never been squeed.

Would probably be scared.

Dearly beloved was asked for autograph once. Went the colour of a tomato. Me and dog fell in bushes laughing."

ROFL

message 43: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Marie wrote: "Whenever I see this thread title, I think, "squeezed so hard you peed", but the other meaning is better :)."

And now, I will never NOT think this when I see Squeed. XD