The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2016 > 20.2 - Rookie at the Top - Chrissy's task: Sweet Summer

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 06, 2016 07:08PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10917 comments Mod
20.2 - Rookie at the Top - Chrissy's task: Sweet Summer

I love that I get to create a task for this challenge. I wouldn't have thought that I come that far when I started. Beside reading I love to cook and eat so what's better in summer than to enjoy heaps of fresh fruit, homebaked goodies and ice cream?!

No books with the genre "children" listed on the book's main page may be used for this task.

This is a ONE book task. You have 5 options:

Required: State which option you chose when you post.

Option A: I recently came across a book called Oreo. Of course, I immediately was in the mood for exactly those cookies and had to run to the store. At the same time I had an idea, which I will use here: Read a book with a title/subtitle that contains a word that starts and ends with the same letter. I get that not all books are as cool as Oreo but I still love that particular idea. Ex: Explosive Eighteen ~ Explosive

Option B: Read a book with a food item on the cover. Ex.
Discord's Apple by Carrie Vaughn Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2) by Joanne Fluke Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke Make Lemonade (Make Lemonade, #1) by Virginia Euwer Wolff Artichoke's Heart by Suzanne Supplee Skinny by Ibi Kaslik Eggs by Jerry Spinelli

Required: Include the cover when you post.

Option C: Read a book with a food item in the title/subtitle. Curiously, some of the examples above work for both ex. Discord's Apple; Strawberry Shortcake Murder; Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder; Eggs

Option D: Read a book by an author whose first and last name start with a letter in the word STRAWBERRIES.

Option E: I love to eat ice cream in the summer. I am always overwhelmed how many flavors are sold in the shops. I never can limit myself to one scoop. However, this time you must limit yourself as it is a one book task.
Name your favorite ice cream flavor and read a book that has a word from the ice cream flavor in the title/subtitle.
Ex.
"blackberry": Blackberry Summer
"mint": Orange Mint and Honey
"vanilla": Anything But Vanilla
"mint chocolate chip": Like Water for Chocolate
"rocky road": The Road
Required: State your favorite flavor.

message 2: by Christine (last edited Jun 04, 2016 11:01PM) (new)

Christine (inhalesbookslikepopcorn) | 87 comments Approved

message 3: by Christine (last edited Jun 04, 2016 11:01PM) (new)

Christine (inhalesbookslikepopcorn) | 87 comments Not approved

message 4: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 27, 2016 02:56PM) (new)

Clarifications:

Option A -- Any word that begins and ends with the same letter will work.

Option D -- letters can only be used as often as they appear; if multiple authors, one must fit the task

message 5: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3668 comments Just to clarify re Option A
Wondering if a word like SisterS would qualify? .... Or is this restricted to vowels?

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7585 comments Mm mm Oreos!

message 7: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2495 comments Would as simple a word as "that" work for option 1?

message 8: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Congratulations on creating an awesome task! Everyone loves food!

message 9: by Kristina Simon (new)

Trish wrote: "Would as simple a word as "that" work for option 1?"

Book Concierge wrote: "Just to clarify re Option A
Wondering if a word like SisterS would qualify? .... Or is this restricted to vowels?"

Any word that begins and ends with the same letter will work.

message 10: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2495 comments Kristina Simon wrote: "Any word that begins and ends with the same letter will work. "

Thank you.

message 11: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments i'm curious to know if, for option D, we could read an author like Bill Bryson? B is in strawberries, but only appears once. is it okay to have two B names?

thanks for your help! :)

message 12: by Kristina Simon (new)

kiki wrote: "i'm curious to know if, for option D, we could read an author like Bill Bryson? B is in strawberries, but only appears once. is it okay to have two B names?

thanks for your help! :)"

Sorry, Kiki, letters can only be used as often as they appear.

message 13: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments Kristina Simon wrote: "kiki wrote: "i'm curious to know if, for option D, we could read an author like Bill Bryson? B is in strawberries, but only appears once. is it okay to have two B names?

thanks for your help! :)"
..."

got it, thanks! :)

message 14: by Blueberry (last edited Jun 26, 2016 09:35PM) (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) | 493 comments Opt. D If my book has two authors and one fits the criteria is that ok? A Path Appears: Transforming Lives, Creating Opportunity. Second author is Sheryl WuDunn

message 15: by Kristina Simon (new)

Blueberry wrote: "Opt. D If my book has two authors and one fits the criteria is that ok? A Path Appears: Transforming Lives, Creating Opportunity. Second author is Sheryl WuDunn"

Yes, as long as one of the author fits the book will work.