The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Important Items > And the Selections Are - Jun / Jul 2016 Group Read Challenge - "C' Authors

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bill (last edited Jun 04, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

Bill | 5465 comments Happy June Group Members. The nomination thread is now open. The June / July Group Read will be for Authors whose last name starts with the letter "C". The thread will be open until around the 9th of June or when we receive 20 or 25 appropriate nominations. The following 'C' authors' books have been read in the past as a group read:

Previously read Authors

- Paul Cleave , Trust No One;
- Agatha Christie - We've read at least 4 of Christie's books over the past couple of years.
- Robert Crais, Suspect;
- Michael Connelly, another popular author, we've read at least 3 of his books
- Patricia Cornwell, We've read two of Cornwell's books
- Lee Child, we've read 3 of his books
- Raymond Chandler, we've read two of his books
- Tom Clancy, we've read one of his books
- Richard Castle, Heat Wave
- Harlan Coben, we've read 4 of his books
- John le Carré, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
- Caleb Carr, The Alienist (Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, #1)
- Colin Cotterill, The Coroner's Lunch

Avoid nominating these authors, please. Just follow the 'recommendations' below when nominating books.

A word or two about nominations and voting:

1. As has been the case for as long as I can remember, if your nomination wins the poll vote, you will be the discussion leader. Do NOT nominate a book if you do not wish to be the moderator.

2. When a book gets to the poll, please please please do not vote on it if you have no intention of reading it. The February / March selections are a good example of why -- very few people who voted actually showed up for the discussions. That is extremely unfair to the people who voted for the next two books on the poll. Bottom line: If you don't want to read it, don't nominate or vote for it.

3. This is not the place for authors to promote their own work.

4. If the book is in a series, it might be wise to start with book #1 rather than somewhere mid-series.

Good luck. I'm looking forward to seeing what gets nominated.

message 2: by Bill (last edited Jun 07, 2016 07:47PM) (new)

Bill | 5465 comments Nomination List

1. Vera Caspary, Laura, nominated by Nancy
2. Ann Cleeves, Raven Black, nominated by M.L.
3. Mason Cross, The Killing Season, nominated by Tad
4. Edmund Crispin, Swan Song, nominated by Bill
5. Diane Chamberlain, The Midwife's Confession, nominated by Autumn
6. James M. Cain, The Postman Always Rings Twice, nominated by Walt
7. Joan C. Curtis, The Clock Strikes Midnight, nominated by Bernadette
8. Richard Crompton, The Honey Guide, nominated by Suzy
9. Christine Carbo, The Wild Inside, nominated by Kelly
10. Neil Cross, Luther: The Calling, nominated by Scott
11. Luke Christodoulou, Death Of A Bride: A stand-alone thriller, nominated by Angelina
12. Donato Carrisi, The Lost Girls of Rome, nominated by Jené
13. Eleanor Catton, The Luminaries, nominated by Natalie

message 3: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8727 comments Mod
Okay, I'll start with Laura, by Vera Caspary. It's old, yes, but there's a movie!

message 4: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 365 comments Nominate Raven Black by Ann Cleeves
Ann Cleeves is the author of the books behind ITV's VERA, now in it's third series, and the BBC's SHETLAND, which will be aired in December 2012. Ann's DI Vera Stanhope series of books is set in Northumberland and features the well loved detective along with her partner Joe Ashworth. Ann's Shetland series bring us DI Jimmy Perez, investigating in the mysterious, dark, and beautiful Shetland Islands...

message 6: by Tad (new)

Tad (tottman) | 139 comments I'll nominate Mason Cross. His first book is The Killing Season (Carter Blake #1) by Mason Cross The Killing Season which is a great introduction to his lead character, Carter Blake.

message 7: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

M.L. wrote: "Nominate Raven Black by Ann Cleeves
Ann Cleeves is the author of the books behind ITV's VERA, now in it's third series, and the BBC's SHETLAND, which will be aired in ..."

"which will be aired in December 2012"??

message 8: by Janebbooks (last edited Jun 04, 2016 09:58AM) (new)

Janebbooks | 30 comments M.L. wrote: "Nominate Raven Black by Ann Cleeves
Ann Cleeves is the author of the books behind ITV's VERA, now in it's third series, and the BBC's SHETLAND, which will be aired in ..."

I second this nomination and would help moderate. Ann Cleeves' Shetland Quartet (that still continued after the four seasons) is a favorite author. Raven Black- the winter one - is the first book in the series. I did in-depth reviews of the first four Quartets for GoodReads. The second in the series, White Nights-the summer one, is my favorite.
Jane

message 9: by Janebbooks (new)

Janebbooks | 30 comments Nancy wrote: "M.L. wrote: "Nominate Raven Black by Ann Cleeves
Ann Cleeves is the author of the books behind ITV's VERA, now in it's third series, and the BBC's SHETLAND, which will..."

...not be aired in the Southern USA! My Canadian pen pal gets it on PBS in Toronto. But I put in a search for it and it's not airing on the Jacksonville nor Gainesville, FL stations. Drat!
P. S. The first Shetland TV film is based on Red Bones the third in the series.
Jane

message 10: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 10 comments Kathy reichs. Bare. Bones

message 11: by Martha (new)

Martha Crites By chance, I just streamed the first season of Vera from Amazon. Not free on prime sadly. Ann CLEEVES is definitely on my to read list now.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 552 comments "Reichs" starts with a C?

message 13: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5465 comments Martha wrote: "By chance, I just streamed the first season of Vera from Amazon. Not free on prime sadly. Ann CLEEVES is definitely on my to read list now."

The Shetland TV series is fantastic, getting better with each Season.

message 14: by Nell (new)

Nell Christine wrote: "The Coroner's Lunch by Colin Cotterill"

I second the Coroner's Lunch.

message 15: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5465 comments Sonya wrote: "Kathy reichs. Bare. Bones"

The last name has to start with "C", Sonya.

message 16: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 44 comments Janebbooks wrote: "M.L. wrote: "Nominate Raven Black by Ann Cleeves
Ann Cleeves is the author of the books behind ITV's VERA, now in it's third series, and the BBC's SHETLAND, which will..."

Agree Ann Cleeves is well worth reading

message 17: by Debby (new)

Debby Kratky | 14 comments Suspect (Scott James & Maggie, #1) by Robert Crais
Suspect by Robert Crais

message 18: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 10 comments Second Robert crais

message 19: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5465 comments Debby wrote: "Suspect (Scott James & Maggie, #1) by Robert Crais
Suspect by Robert Crais"

Check out my list at the top, Debby. We've read this previously.

message 20: by Janebbooks (new)

Janebbooks | 30 comments Nancy wrote: "M.L. wrote: "Nominate Raven Black by Ann Cleeves

I hope Nancy means BBC's SHETLAND "will be aired in December 2016 on PBS Mystery." As I mentioned earlier, Canadian viewers could watch it last fall...December 2015...on PBS. It's not on Florida channels yet...

message 21: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

The OP had "will be aired December 2012" -- hence the question marks in my post.

message 22: by Gram (last edited Jun 04, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

Gram | 28 comments The Coroner's Lunch gets my vote too,

message 23: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35576 comments Janebbooks wrote: "Nancy wrote: "M.L. wrote: "Nominate Raven Black by Ann Cleeves
Ann Cleeves is the author of the books behind ITV's VERA, now in it's third series, and the BBC's SHETLA..."

I think the Shetland series was aired last year, at least in North Carolina. I'm not sure I watched much of it as I think I started it in the middle. I prefer Vera which I used to watch on the second PBS channel in Chicago.

message 24: by ildii (new)

ildii | 1 comments The Alienist by Caleb Carr

message 25: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

ILdi wrote: "The Alienist by Caleb Carr"

Oopsie - that one's on Bill's list of books to pass on.

message 26: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5465 comments ILdi wrote: "The Alienist by Caleb Carr"

Ildi. We have read The Alienist before. Please read the first post.

For Gram, Nell and Christine - I must apologize. I forgot to add The Coroner's Lunch to the list of previously read as we did read it previously. Can you pick something else? Sorry.

message 27: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 38 comments I second the nomination for Laura, I've watched and loved the movie at least once a year for many years, and it always delivers. I just got a collection of noir classic books by women writes, and this is one of them. Otherwise, I've read most of the nominees thus far and fairly recently for most of them. Am trying to come up with "C" author who is under the radar. Both the Vera series and the Shetland series are excellent, btw.

message 28: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5465 comments I'll nominate a Gervase Fen mystery by Edmund Crispin, Swan Song (Gervase Fen, #4) by Edmund Crispin Swan Song.

message 29: by Janebbooks (new)

Janebbooks | 30 comments Nancy wrote: "The OP had "will be aired December 2012" -- hence the question marks in my post."

What's the OP?

message 30: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Original poster.

message 31: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill wrote: "I'll nominate a Gervase Fen mystery by Edmund Crispin, Swan Song (Gervase Fen, #4) by Edmund Crispin Swan Song."

I love those books! I have the complete set.

message 32: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5465 comments Nancy wrote: "Bill wrote: "I'll nominate a Gervase Fen mystery by Edmund Crispin, Swan Song (Gervase Fen, #4) by Edmund Crispin Swan Song."

I love those books! I have the complete set."

I've got most of them. He's definitely different.

message 34: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 660 comments Only 5 hours into the nominations and the book I wanted to nominate Raven Black has not only been put forth, but much discussed! I love this series, just started #6 Thin Air. I will think about another C author and get back if I want to nominate something else. But I look forward to discussing Raven Black assuming with all the discussion it will be voted in!

(BTW, our library has the first 2 seasons of Shetland available. Haven't watched yet, tho.)

message 35: by Walt (last edited Jun 04, 2016 09:37PM) (new)

Walt Cody | 12 comments No one mentioned James M Cain? He's taught in lit classes as a master of brevity and nuance. "The Postman Always Rings Twice"

And, okay, I know, No self-promotion, but how can I resist at least calling your attention to "Manhattan Roulette" a mystery/ procedural by Walt Cody, nicely reviewed here on goodreads and at Amazon. Check it out anyway

message 36: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Walt wrote: "No one mentioned James M Cain? He's taught in lit classes as a master of brevity and nuance. "The Postman Always Rings Twice"

And, okay, I know, No self-promotion, but how can I resist at least c..."

Cain is a great writer.

message 37: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5465 comments Walt wrote: "No one mentioned James M Cain? He's taught in lit classes as a master of brevity and nuance. "The Postman Always Rings Twice"

And, okay, I know, No self-promotion, but how can I resist at least c..."

I've added The Postman Always Rings Twice, Walt. There are places in this group for self-promotion. Feel free to do so there, if you haven't already.

message 38: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette Boas (bernadetteboas) | 1 comments Definitely author Joan. C Curtis with her book The Clock Strikes Midnight, e-Murderer ....

Her mystery thrillers have received numerous awards!!

message 39: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 660 comments I will nominate a book by Richard Crompton, the first of two books set in Nairobi featuring Detective Mollel, a former Maasai warrior. It is called both The Honey Guide: A Novel and Hour of the Red God. Maybe called something different depending where published? Anyway, don't know anything about this but it looks very interesting and is well-reviewed her on GR.

message 40: by Kelly (last edited Jun 05, 2016 01:33PM) (new)

Kelly Roll | 1 comments Not sure if I am too late but The Wild Inside sound like an intriguing debut novel - by Christine Carbo.

message 41: by Scott (last edited Jun 05, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Scott Ivlow (scottinwinterhaven) | 208 comments Luther The Calling (Luther, #1) by Neil Cross Luther: The Calling. by Niel Cross [Yes people it is book #1.]

message 42: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5465 comments Scott wrote: "Luther The Calling (Luther, #1) by Neil Cross Luther: The Calling. by Niel Cross [Yes people it is book #1.]"

I didn't realize it was a book. I've enjoyed the TV series. I'll have to check out the books too.

message 43: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 660 comments Bill wrote: "Scott wrote: "Luther The Calling (Luther, #1) by Neil Cross Luther: The Calling. by Niel Cross [Yes people it is book #1.]"

I didn't realize it was a book. I've enjoyed the TV series. I'll have to chec..."

Same here - I loved the tv series and hated that it ended!

message 44: by Angelina (new)

Angelina Cara | 1 comments Death Of A Bride A stand-alone thriller by Luke Christodoulou

Its the third book in the series, but they are stand-alones and can be read without having read the previous ones. Big hit here in Greece. I absolutely loved it.
Oh, by Luke Christodoulou. C!

message 45: by Jené (last edited Jun 07, 2016 05:59AM) (new)

message 46: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5465 comments Jené wrote: "The Lost Girls of Rome by Donato CarrisiI nominate The Lost Girls of Rome"

I've never heard of this author. Sounds interesting.

message 47: by Scott (new)

Scott Ivlow (scottinwinterhaven) | 208 comments Suzy wrote: "Bill wrote: "Scott wrote: "Luther The Calling (Luther, #1) by Neil Cross Luther: The Calling. by Niel Cross [Yes people it is book #1.]"

I didn't realize it was a book. I've enjoyed the TV series. I'll..."

Yes Bill and Suzy it was published in 2011 however even though the squeal titles are listed on bookreads none have actually been published I tried researching it on the internet but nothing shows up. Neil Cross has written other books but I don't think internationaly.

message 48: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 58 comments I nominate:
The Silent Sister by Diane Chamberlain
The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

message 49: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5465 comments Natalie wrote: "I nominate:
The Silent Sister by Diane Chamberlain
The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins"

Can you pick one, Natalie?

message 50: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 58 comments Whoops! Sorry, I didn't know we could only nominate one. I'll nominate The Luminaries.

« previous 1