ONTD Book Club discussion

What did you read last month? - May

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wigs (new)

Wigs (wigsnatcher) | 556 comments Mod
Tell us what you read during the month of May!

message 2: by Wigs (last edited Jun 01, 2016 05:40PM) (new)

Wigs (wigsnatcher) | 556 comments Mod
I only read (er, audiobook) one book at all, and that was Room.

I for the most part liked it. I loved the audiobook for sure in terms of it being very well read by its four actors. I think they did a very good job and I would recommend the audiobook. Probably over reading the actual physical thing because I've heard it can be very difficult to get used to the 5 year old's style of writing and capitalization. At least with this one the child (well, an actress pretending to be a child) is saying it out loud for you so you don't have to have the visual jumble of odd grammar.

I watched the movie right afterward and I liked the movie better but I think because I read the book I had a more enjoyable experience with watching the movie?

Anyway I think I recommend it in general if you can deal with the child's point of view because I definitely found the kidnapping and imprisonment plot fascinating and horrifying and something that will stick with you. The second half sort of dragged a little but it was worth it.

message 3: by Knobby (last edited Jun 01, 2016 10:08PM) (new)

Knobby (knobbyknees) | 48 comments Wigs wrote: "I only read (er, audiobook) one book at all, and that was Room.

I for the most part liked it..."

I read this a few months ago and loved it. It was so captivating. (I read the book-book, didn't listen to an audiobook, and didn't have much trouble getting into Jack's mind.) I watched the movie right after and I agree, I think that reading the book helped with processing the movie. Brie Larson did such an amazing job. I sobbed (and don't really cry at much!).

I read a bunch last month, for some reason.

The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater (YA) - the final book in the Raven Cycle series. Most of my friends loved it; I was kind of meh on it. Good, but didn't move me, I guess? I was sort of bored. :\

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen (YA) - Got on a Dessen kick the previous month so this was my third Dessen of the year. I didn't like it as much as the other two I read, maybe because I could sense her formula more?

Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff - Supernatural, magical realism, interesting premise. Probably my favorite read of May.

X by Sue Grafton - I usually love Sue Grafton but her recent works have been a drag. Meh to this one.

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes - I wanted to like this one so bad! It was a really good read but didn't punch me in the gut like I wanted it to :(

Dear Emma by Katie Hearney - fluffy chick lit that took place in a college dorm. Boring. Nothing happened.

Dumplin' by Julie Murphy (YA) - An overweight girl enters a beauty pageant in a tiny Texas town where football and beauty pageants are the highlights of everyone's lives. It was cute but I was irked by the love-triangle-that-wasn't-even-a-triangle.

I started Alexander Hamilton but it's so dense, it'll probably take a while to finish it! It's pretty interesting tho.

message 4: by Idris (last edited Jun 01, 2016 10:14PM) (new)

Idris Grey (idrisgrey) | 57 comments Mod
I read book one of Apryl Baker's The Ghost Files. It was just okay.

I just got The Legends of River Song yesterday and I won Love May Fail by Matthew Quick in a giveaway, but then I read the reviews....Should have read them before entering. Probably going to keep trying for my book list from last month plus TLoRS.

message 5: by Alyssa (last edited Jun 02, 2016 08:33AM) (new)

Alyssa (girlcomeundone) | 63 comments I read:

The Husband's Secret - i gave it 3 stars, i like 'Big Little Lies' much more and this was pretty predictable but it wasn't a bad read.

Teaching My Mother How to Give Birth - ok, so, i can admit i didn't know who Warsen Shire was before 'Lemonade' came out but HOLY SHIT I LOVE THIS WOMAN AND I WANT TO READ ALL THE POEMS. 5 stars.

The Liars' Club - 1 star, this book was terrible, why does anyone love it, how is it so well received, etc etc.

The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend: not the greatest YA but i enjoyed it and needed something sort of ridiculous after The Liars' Club.

message 6: by Christy (new)

Christy (cmh85) | 27 comments I read Jane Steele and looooved it. It did get a little slow after she reached the manor but it was still really good, imo.

I was also in the mood for a trashy romance and an ONTDer recommended Goddess of the Hunt because the love interest wasn't a douche rake*~ which I am here for. I'm almost done with it, and I like it a lot. Really fast read.

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (lapetite) | 45 comments Mod
I read only one book (thanks, finals) and it was The Star-Touched Queen. I was so looking forward to this book that so many people loved. I did not like it in the end. I found it seriously lacking in character development and the plot was all over the place. Plus, it had a serious case of insta-love. No likey.

message 8: by mònica (new)

mònica • nightingfae (nightingfae) | 3 comments Wigs wrote: "Tell us what you read during the month of May!"

I read Xenocide - Orson Scott Card, Allegiant - Veronica Roth and Las alas de Ícaro - Muriel Rogers.

message 9: by Knobby (new)

Knobby (knobbyknees) | 48 comments Mònica wrote: "Wigs wrote: "Tell us what you read during the month of May!"

I read Xenocide - Orson Scott Card, Allegiant - Veronica Roth and Las alas de Ícaro - Murie..."

What'd you think of Allegiant? I stopped reading after the 2nd one because the quality drop-off was noticeable but now I'm wondering if I should pick up a used copy for like 10 cents to see how it worked out. Or not worth wasting my time?

message 10: by Casey (new)

Casey (casey-h) | 51 comments I'm continuing to read The Illiad.

Fire Touched by Patricia Briggs. Ugh, I remember when this series was good. But Fire Touched was better than Night Broken, at least?

And I started Black Sun Rising. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

message 11: by Keri (new)

Keri (keri91) | 9 comments I read four books last month! And already have one this month.

The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood - I thought it was excellent. The story stuck with me for a while. It was very haunting and I felt bad for the protagonist. The ending left me zoned out because it was an open ending, so I had lots of thoughts racing through my mind!

The Vegetarian by Han Kang - this was definitely a weird book but I liked it a lot. It lulled in the middle part I think but I read it in one day! For this book I think you have to understand Korean culture to grasp it - because a lot of situations happen that definitely happen here. It's a sad reality. I'm married to a Korean with Korean in-laws so I definitely got and enjoyed it.

Our Souls at Night - I did not like this book at all. I didn't really enjoy any of the characters, especially the son who is a flaming douchebag, and the ending is abrupt and kind of terrible. I liked the premise so I gave it 2 stars but that's being generous.

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde - I didn't find it very witty or funny. I just found the main guy (starts with an A, I can't remember, not Jack/Ernest) to be exhausting and annoying. Really everyone can be described like that - none of them were very interesting to me.

I'm still 3 books behind my goal of 50 for the year so I got some reading to do this and next month!

message 12: by Diana (new)

Diana (dam2025) | 5 comments I finally got back into the habit of reading last month, thanks to riding a train for two hours each day. I did a mix of graphic novels and regular books.

For graphic novels I read:

Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? -- I'm not big on Superman, so a friend has been lending me his books to try and convert me. I liked it, but more for the Swamp Thing story.

Wolverine: Old Man Logan -- I lean more towards DC/Vertigo books than Marvel, but this one is worth a read for anyone who likes comics. It's a self-contained 'what if' story, and it was violent and gory, but with a great story. I borrowed it, but I'm buying my own copy to have on my shelf.

Grayson, Vol 3: Nemesis -- I picked up the first volume because the cover was bright pink, and I've enjoyed all three volumes thus far.

Deadpool Kills Deadpool -- I've been putting this one off for a long while, but I finally caved and finished the Killology. I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of Deadpool in the comics. I'll be sticking to movies with him.

For books I read:

Grass for His Pillow by Lian Hearn -- The second book in the Tales of the Otori series, which I finally finished after a few months of being uninspired to read. It's set in a fantasy feudalistic Japan, and told in alternating viewpoints, one of which is 1st person and the other 3rd. I've got the third lined up in my stack of books to read this month.

Cinder by Marissa Meyer -- We couldn't keep this book in stock at work for the longest time, so I had to pick it up to see what the fuss was all about. And except for the insta-love between the main characters , I actually really enjoyed this one. Sure it was predictable, playing out exactly like I thought it would, but it kept me entertained for a few days while I read it. I have Scarlet in my to-read stack as well for this month.

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn -- This was a super quick read. I liked it, but damn did it make me squirm. The whole town of Wand Gap is just toxic, and violent in a psychological way. I figured it out pretty quickly how the story would end, but I was hoping I was wrong because it's just so messed up.

And finally, The Dog Stars by Peter Heller -- This book, ohhhh this book. I started this book a year and a half ago, after seeing so many positive reviews and lists lauding it. And I could not get into it. The writing style takes a bit to get used to, what with it's sentence fragments and total lack of quotation marks. I kept thinking, how is this a bestseller. I almost marked it as a dnf. But I decided to pick it up again, with so much time on the train I'd have to be able to finish it. And the impossible happened. I could not put it down. I cried, I laughed, I missed my stop because I was so engrossed in this book. I still don't know if I liked it as a whole, but I'm definitely glad I read it.

I'm something like 11 books behind schedule for my goal of 50 this year, but I think I'll be able to catch up by the end of the summer. I think I've written enough now.

message 13: by bailey (new)

bailey | 11 comments This was a better month for me!

While Mortals Sleep: Unpublished Short Fiction by Kurt Vonnegut - It was alright. A few stories I really liked, the rest were ok. Not nearly as captivating as some of his other books were for me.

All Things Cease to Appear by Elizabeth Brundage. I got this through Book of the Month, and it took me some time to finish it. I started it last month and took a break, but felt obligated to finish it. Slow start, decent middle, but the ending felt like she had gotten in too deep and put together a quick ribbon to tie it off.

The Battle for Room 314: My Year of Hope and Despair in a New York City High School by Ed Boland. An interesting peek into the issues of teaching in NYC, and the many failings in how new teachers are prepared for the classroom.

Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, Winter and Stars Above by Marissa Meyer. Sooooo yea, I fell down the rabbit hole. It was fun - I haven't fallen into a series abyss like that in a while. I really enjoyed them! Some issues here and there, but I thought the series grew well.

message 14: by Amira (new)

Amira (liightningbolt) | 68 comments I read I Am Pilgrim. It was ghastly and a complete waste of time. If I wanted to read pro-War on Terror agendas, I would have just read an article or something. Extra annoyed because this took essentially a month to get through.

Wanted something light after that, so picked up Slammed which was not great. Probably my first and last Colleen Hoover, especially as people believe this to be her best work.

Last week of May, I started The Luminaries. This will take me a while, but enjoying it a lot so far.

Been on such an awful run recently :(

message 15: by mònica (new)

mònica • nightingfae (nightingfae) | 3 comments Elissa wrote: "Mònica wrote: "Wigs wrote: "Tell us what you read during the month of May!"

I read Xenocide - Orson Scott Card, Allegiant - Veronica Roth and [book:Las alas de Ícaro|29..."

I didn't finish it yet, but I thing that if you have read the other two then you should read the last one. You can go to the library and take it, instead of buying it if you don't want to spend money.

message 16: by Carmen (new)

Carmen (bindingthepages) I read six books last month. I enjoyed them all!

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore - I really really enjoyed this one. There's something very magical about it. It's got mystery, humor, and a tiny bit of romance.

Darkshine - I really liked this one. It's a paranormal novel with some suspense and romance, and the protag is relatable. It really sucked me in.

First Fruits - This is a pretty dark vampire novel, but it's good. I'm currently reading the second installment.

The Wild One and The Seeker (YA) - I'm really enjoying the Roswell series. They're kind of cheesy, but we learn so much more about everyone's powers and where they come from than we do in the TV series. I'm really enjoying them.

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned - A few people recommended this to me and I'm glad they did. It's pretty good! I just got on the waiting list for the second volume.

message 17: by Lynda (new)

Lynda (lyndalovelee) Opening Belle

This is really my fault, but I thought this book was non-fiction and based on the author's real experience working on Wall Street. I thought it would be a female's version of the Wolf of Wall Street. My naive self thought it was a true story the whole time (although it was ridiculous and the characters were stereotypical, cliche, and some situations were outrageous), but I figured that reality can be crazy too! However, once I realized that it was a work of fiction, I was sorely disappointed. This story could have been a lot more interesting since the author could have went any way she wanted with the book, but it turned out to be cheesy.

message 18: by Jess (new)

Jess (gingeryarnco) | 616 comments Mod
I read a lot in May, not as much as April, but pretty good!
My letter for the month in my A-Z project was J.

Dracula, My Love: The Secret Journals of Mina Harker - 4 stars. Maybe I'll finally finish reading Dracula now.

The Martian - 5 stars. I started this earlier in the year, but got really bored about 10-15% in, once I picked it back up though, it went really fast.

The Canterville Ghost - 4 stars.

Red Rising - 5 stars. This was my 3rd time reading this book in about a year or so. To say I like it is an understatement. This series ranks really high on my list, better than the Hunger Games and probably ties with Justin Cronin's Passage series.

Napoleon's Hemorrhoids: And Other Small Events That Changed History - 2 stars. Meh. I thought it was going to be funny.

The Silent Land - 4 stars. This was a book I only picked up because the author's last name started with J. What a great book. It was unpredictable, unique, and mysterious. It was really enjoyable and I will look for more books by him.

The History of Us - 4 stars. Family drama set in Cinci.