The History Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
HBC READATHONS 2018 - ON HOLD > WHAT BOOKS ARE YOU GOING TO TACKLE FOR THE READATHON?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Dec 16, 2016 11:44PM) (new)

Bentley | 44126 comments Mod
This is a thread to discuss what books you are planning to tackle during the Readathon.

This is for the tenth Readathon - December 17th, 2016 - this is the new readathon thread for 2016

START ON MESSAGE 28TH FOR DECEMBER 17TH - READATHON TEN

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Thank you Jill - as everyone knows during the past three years my father's health had been failing him and I was traveling up to New England for quite a few long stints to help out with his care.

At the end of May - things got much more serious - so much so that he ended up in the hospital - then rehab where he wasn't rehabilitating and finally - very sadly - he ended up in hospice. Last week my family and I finally laid my dear father to rest. It has been a tough three years as those of you who have found yourself in my position know only too well.

There was no way that I could lead the readathon - so we had to postpone it. August 27th is the next date. So mark it on your calendars and I will see you then.

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 14, 2016 07:54AM) (new)

What I plan to read:

I am not sure but right now I am reading the following book so if I am not done with it by August 27th - this is the book that I will completing. As I determine other books I will add them to this post prior to August 27th:

If the Oceans Were Ink An Unlikely Friendship and a Journey to the Heart of the Quran by Carla Power by Carla Power Carla Power

message 4: by Jeni (last edited Aug 14, 2016 09:10AM) (new)

Jeni  Kirby  (jenikirbyhistory) Hey Bentley,

I am going to join y'all in the Ozark Mountains on the boarder of Arkansas and Missouri in the United States. My time zone is Central Time, which will put me an hour behind you. I am planning on reading seven books from 8:30AM - Midnight. I am going to challenge myself and try to go all the way to 2AM. We will see how that turns out. I am looking forward to it.

Best of Luck,

Jeni

The Cherokee Nation and the Trail of Tears The Penguin Library of American Indian History series by Theda Perdue by Theda Perdue and Michael D. Green , Soul by Soul Life Inside the Antebellum Slave Market by Walter Johnson by Walter Johnson Sr. , The Artificial River The Erie Canal and the Paradox of Progress, 1817-1862 by Carol Sheriff by Carol Sheriff , American Reformers, 1815-1860, Revised Edition by Ronald G. Walters by Ronald G. Walters , The First Frontier The Forgotten History of Struggle, Savagery, and Endurance in Early America by Scott Weidensaul by Scott Weidensaul , The Underground Railroad, a Comprehensive History by Wilbur Siebert by Wilbur Siebert , and Reckless Love (Reckless #2) by Madeline Baker by Madeline Baker

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Lynette that would be great.

message 6: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) Hello, everyone!

I'm joining from Zagreb, Croatia. I'm sticking to my plan of making a thematic readathon and reading selected Croatian classics.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) I plan on participating, but I am not 100% sure what I will read. I am thinking of two books:

The Girl Who Wrote Loneliness by Kyung-Sook Shin by Kyung-Sook Shin Kyung-Sook Shin

Dance Dance Dance (The Rat, #4) by Haruki Murakami by Haruki Murakami Haruki Murakami

message 8: by Donna (last edited Aug 14, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Donna (drspoon) So glad to see you back at the helm, BentIey. You have been missed. I will be reading in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, USA, in the beautiful Laurel Highlands. I expect to finish two books I've been working on:

Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow by Ron Chernow Ron Chernow

If the Oceans Were Ink An Unlikely Friendship and a Journey to the Heart of the Quran by Carla Power by Carla Power Carla Power

message 9: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 14, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Lynette wrote: "Hey Bentley,

I am going to join y'all in the Ozark Mountains on the boarder of Arkansas and Missouri in the United States. My time zone is Central Time, which will put me an hour behind you. I am ..."

Hello Lynette - I think you are having some issues with citations. It should be the book cover first, then the author's photo and finally the author's link.

If the book cover is not available - we say (no image) and add the book link and then the word by and then the author's photo and author's link. If the author's photo is not available we add - no photo at end in parens.

The Cherokee Nation A History by Robert J. Conley by Robert J. Conley Robert J. Conley

Soul by Soul Life Inside the Antebellum Slave Market by Walter Johnson by Walter Johnson (no photo)

The Artificial River The Erie Canal and the Paradox of Progress, 1817-1862 by Carol Sheriff by Carol Sheriff (no photo)

American Reformers, 1815-1860, Revised Edition by Ronald G. Walters by Ronald G. Walters (no photo)

The First Frontier The Forgotten History of Struggle, Savagery, and Endurance in Early America by Scott Weidensaul by Scott Weidensaul (no photo)

The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead by Colson Whitehead Colson Whitehead

Reckless Love (Reckless #2) by Madeline Baker by Madeline Baker Madeline Baker

You have made a great first attempt but it is much easier to add them one at a time and then skip a line like I did.

Also try to learn how to do the citations properly and fix your post.

You can also get help at our Help Desk folder - all of the folders are in alphabetical order - look for the Mechanics of the Board thread.

message 10: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Samanta wrote: "Hello, everyone!

I'm joining from Zagreb, Croatia. I'm sticking to my plan of making a thematic readathon and reading selected Croatian classics."

We will be glad to have you Samanta

message 11: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Donna wrote: "So glad to see you back at the helm, BentIey. You have been missed. I will be reading in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, USA, in the beautiful Laurel Highlands. I expect to finish two books I've been workin..."

Very good Donna and thank you for your kind words.

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) I will be joining the Readathon but am not sure what book(s) I am going to be reading. This one is sitting on my shelf, staring at me, so it may be the one.

Moral Combat Good and Evil in World War II, Part 1 (Library) by Michael Burleigh by Michael Burleigh Michael Burleigh

message 13: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

I am with you Jill - I am not sure what I will be reading then but something is sure to be at the top of the stack.

message 14: by Francie (new)

Francie Grice I think I'm going to try to finish Alexander Hamilton and Guns, Germs and Steel.

Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow by Ron Chernow Ron Chernow

Guns, Germs, and Steel The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond by Jared Diamond Jared Diamond

message 15: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Two great books Francie

message 16: by Doris (new)

Doris (webgeekstress) | 143 comments My condolences, Bentley. You (and your family) have had a traumatic few years. Be gentle with yourself.

I plan to participate in the upcoming readathon, but you'll have to ask me next week what I'll be reading. After all, how do I know now what I'll be in a mood for? :-)

message 17: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Thank you Doris and I understand

message 18: by Jeannine (new)

Jeannine (jmloftus13) | 40 comments Bentley, I am so very sorry for your loss. I have been at that place myself recently. My thoughts are with you in this sad time.

Jeannine

message 19: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Thank you Jeannine. It has been very difficult.

message 20: by Gyoza (new)

Gyoza | 240 comments Bentley, you have all my sympathy. Five years ago, I was in a similar situation as you. My mom got a stroke in the spring of 2011, then went downhill from there over the next couple of months. It was a very sad time for our whole family, as I'm sure it is for yours. The holidays that year were particularly difficult for me. Take it easy.

My goal for this readathon is to finish the book I'm reading now:
The Crooked Timber of Humanity Chapters in the History of Ideas by Isaiah Berlin by Isaiah Berlin Isaiah Berlin

Then if I have time I might start on a second book, not sure which!

message 21: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Guys I was called away to deal with some of my father's issues regarding his passing and was not planning on being away this weekend - I will set it up for next week and will be back home again by Monday evening.

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) For tomorrow's Readathon, I am thinking of reading the following:

Troubling Love by Elena Ferrante by Elena Ferrante (no photo)
If I finish it, then I will start:
La frantumaglia by Elena Ferrante by Elena Ferrante (no photo)

message 23: by Glynn (new)

Glynn | 210 comments I am going to try to finish up
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde by Oscar Wilde Oscar Wilde

and continue with
Washington A Life by Ron Chernow by Ron Chernow Ron Chernow

message 24: by Michele (new)

Michele (micheleevansito) | 963 comments If we are still doing a readathon on Dec. 17 - then I plan to finish:
Silence by Shūsaku Endō by Shūsaku Endō Shūsaku Endō

and work on:
Urban Forests A Natural History of Trees in the American Cityscape by Jill Jonnes by Jill Jonnes Jill Jonnes

message 25: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) I haven't quite decided what I will read for the readathon (if it happens), but I may try:

The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon by Michael Chabon Michael Chabon

message 26: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Michelle and Karen - we are on and ready to begin in a few hours - December 17th at 8AM wherever you happen to be in the world.

message 27: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Washington A Life by Ron Chernow by Ron Chernow Ron Chernow

The book I plan to do while administrating,

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.