Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

General Discussion > What are you reading in MAY?

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kiersten, Mod (new)

Kiersten Fay (kierstenfay) | 501 comments Mod
Feel free to post and discuss all the fabulous books you read during May. If you post spoilers, please use the spoiler html.

message 2: by Krysta (last edited May 02, 2014 07:54AM) (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments I finished up Gathering Blue last night and will be starting on Something Deadly This Way Comes today.
At work I've been reading City of Glass on my computer.

Gathering Blue (The Giver, #2) by Lois Lowry Something Deadly This Way Comes (Madison Avery, #3) by Kim Harrison City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare

message 3: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney | 57 comments Just finishing with this one: Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5) by Patricia Briggs

message 4: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments Sonya, that's a series I'd really like to be able to get back in to!
I read the first book a while back. I need to re-read it, and go from there.

message 5: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney | 57 comments Krysta wrote: "Sonya, that's a series I'd really like to be able to get back in to!
I read the first book a while back. I need to re-read it, and go from there."

I went back and started from the beginning (I hadn't read any for years). This is the first one I've read so far that is new to me, and it's one of her best.

It definitely helps to have all the characters fresh in your mind!

I'm also rereading her Alpha and Omega series.

message 6: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments I really need to lay off the challenges for a while and re-read a few books for fun, and get back in to a few different series'.

message 7: by Kiersten, Mod (new)

Kiersten Fay (kierstenfay) | 501 comments Mod
I've been considering starting that series as well. I've seen a few people mention around the discussions.

message 8: by Ashley (last edited May 02, 2014 05:32PM) (new)

Ashley Basile (ahunsicker) | 274 comments I really love the Mercy Thompson books!

I just finished the last book in the Shifter's series (Alpha by Rachel Vincent). I'm always bummed when a series ends.

I'm trying to decide what to start next. I have pre-series book phobia.

message 9: by Suzzie (new)

Suzzie (suzzietn) | 8 comments I am going to read The One by Kiera Cass & Of Neptune by Anna Banks for sure!

message 10: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney | 57 comments Kiersten wrote: "I've been considering starting that series as well. I've seen a few people mention around the discussions."

In my opinion, Mercy is *the* definitive series in urban fantasy (with some nice romance to go with it!). There's also her Alpha and Omega series, which is a bit more focused on just one relationship. Both are very good.

message 11: by Pippa (new)

Pippa DaCosta | 8 comments Hi all - I've recently picked up the October Daye novels after reading the first in the series about a year ago. I'm now hooked and have just bought books 4,5,6,7 to arrive in a week (frustratingly they aren't on kindle) ~ my bank account is groaning. I'm such a sucker for UF series'!

message 12: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I'm reading Furry United Coalition by Eva Langlais and Fairy tale by Maggie Shayne

message 13: by Erica (new)

Erica (MamaRox) | 5 comments I am currently reading Upon a Midnight Clear by Sherrilyn Kenyon. I started reading the Dark-Hunter/Were-Hunter/Hellraiser/Dream-Hunter series from the beginning. I am completely hooked. My daughter is even reading her YA series The Chronicles of Nick. Ms. Kenyon is an amazing story teller. I will be starting Dream Chaser within a day or two. Depends how much my youngest daughter will let me read. LOL

message 14: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 243 comments I'm reading Blind Faith (Sin Brothers, #3) by Rebecca Zanetti by Rebecca Zanetti. Loving it!!!

I also listen to audios when I'm at work and today I just started Waiting to Be Heard A Memoir by Amanda Knox by Amanda Knox. I normally don't like Biographies/Memoirs, but so far it's been really interesting - I didn't really follow her case much at all when it was actually in the news, so it's very interesting to hear it from her perspective.

message 15: by Tania (new)

Tania | 79 comments So far have read Sleigh Bells in the Snow by Sarah Morgan A Passion for Him (Georgian, #3) by Sylvia Day Rush (Breathless, #1) by Maya Banks

Am making head way on Blue Flame (Firefighter, #2) by Jill Shalvis

Have lined up Don't Tempt Me (Georgian, #4) by Sylvia Day Full Throttle (Fast Track, #7) by Erin McCarthy Lucky in Love (Lucky Harbor, #4) by Jill Shalvis When Darkness Hungers (The Shadow Keepers, #5) by J.K. Beck

I'm trying to find a happy centre between what i want to read and the chalenges I am doing. Not as easy as I thought.

message 16: by Paulette (new)

Paulette Hampton I am currently reading 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.' It is not at all what I expected but a good read so far. I just finished 'Living with a Wild God.' I enjoyed it very much but wasn't sure how to reconcile the ending.

message 17: by Richard (new)

Richard E. (richardejohns) | 67 comments HAWKE series, The Park Service Trilogy, last 2 Sabine Kane series and Maybe a Read of Kate Daniels Curran books.
SIDE Question: Who decides How much a book costs?
background: I am a Library and/or NOOK book reader. I 'try' to get a library 'read' First then decide whether I want the book on the NOOk I or Memory Chip.
What I do Not understand is that Some books come out as 2.99 to 10.99.

WHO decides how much to sell it at and WHY do Some initial Books come out at Nearly MORE Than a Hardcover Book?

Very Strange!
Thanks if any readers/Authors would like to chime in with the Info.
V/r,

Rich J.

message 18: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments Just finished After...

I'll be starting High Five and finishing up The Maze Runner soon too!

After by Amy Efaw High Five (Stephanie Plum, #5) by Janet Evanovich The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner

message 19: by Desiree (new)

Desiree | 30 comments i'll be reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5) by Ilona Andrews

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Basile (ahunsicker) | 274 comments Update!! I cured my pre-book phobia with Cinder, followed shortly thereafter by Scarlet and Cress. HOT DAMN! I really enjoyed them, very fun... can't wait for the next book to come out!

Also, I ran by the library today and picked up Clockwork Princess, since I haven't finished up this trilogy yet.

Apparently I'm on a YA kick... after reading The Book Thief and sobbing like a child, I needed a little light reading. lol

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) by Cassandra Clare

message 21: by Marti (last edited May 15, 2014 10:50PM) (new)

Marti Melville | 22 comments I was given Save the Cat!: The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need as a gift and it has become my one of my favorite all time "how to" books!

Those who are looking for some resource material for writing screenplays, this is your book!

I can't say enough about Save The Cat!

message 22: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 243 comments I just finished up The Professional (Game Maker, #1) by Kresley Cole and then I got through My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1) by Rachel Vincent in one day! Now what to read next...

message 23: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments Cindy, I need to re-read My Soul to Take so I can power through the series.
Did you like it?

message 24: by Tania (new)

Tania | 79 comments Have just finished this It Had to Be You (Lucky Harbor, #7) by Jill Shalvis

Am now going to fnish Fever (Breathless, #2) by Maya Banks

message 25: by Amie (new)

Amie (alm0824) | 32 comments I finally finished Rock Chick Rescue Rock Chick Rescue (Rock Chick, #2) by Kristen Ashley by Kristen Ashley. I really liked it and gave it 4 stars. We moved in April and starting to get settled in now, so I'm getting some of my reading time back. I'm currently reading Bound by Night Bound by Night (MoonBound Clan Vampire, #1) by Larissa Ione by Larissa Ione.

message 26: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgb80) | 8 comments I have just started Gameboard of the Gods and was a little worried with some of the reviews and I think it would kill me to not like something by Richelle Mead, but I like it so far. I'm only 100 pgs in so there is time to change that though. Fingers crossed.

message 27: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments Liz wrote: "I have just started Gameboard of the Gods ..."

That's on my TBR as well!
I've been hesitant to pick for the same reasons. You'll have to let us know what you think when you're finished!

message 28: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgb80) | 8 comments Krysta wrote: "Liz wrote: "I have just started Gameboard of the Gods ..."

That's on my TBR as well!
I've been hesitant to pick for the same reasons. You'll have to let us know what you think when..."

I will! It's sort of got this political thriller vibe to it that I don't normally go for in books but for some reason love in movies. I am getting into it though, especially since I'm starting to understand the world now.

message 29: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 243 comments Krysta wrote: "Cindy, I need to re-read My Soul to Take so I can power through the series.
Did you like it?"

Yes! I really liked it. (Although right afterward I saw a comment that kind-of gave away a big plot point for later in the series, so I'm disappointed about that, but I'll still continue!)

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited May 23, 2014 11:06AM) (new)

Just finished Betrayed Book Two - The Road to Redemption (Law Of The Lycans #6) by Nicky Charles by Nicky Charles and it was awesome.

For those who haven't tried her Law of the Lycan series, the first five books are still free on Amazon.

message 31: by Joann (new)

Joann | 73 comments Right now I'm reading Lorelei James....Rough, Raw and Ready of The Rough Riders series. Loven them so far. Happy Reading Everyone!! :-)

message 32: by Tania (new)

Tania | 79 comments Finished Fever (Breathless, #2) by Maya Banks , was ok but a little let down. Will get the next book to see what happens to Ash.

Am now reading Always On My Mind (Lucky Harbor, #8) by Jill Shalvis The Raider (Highland Guard, #8) by Monica McCarty Wicked and Dangerous (Wicked Lovers, #7.5; Dangerous Tides, #1.5) by Shayla Black for a mix of books

message 33: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgb80) | 8 comments I finished Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X, #1) by Richelle Mead . Despite my worries over the reviews I really enjoyed it. It took me a little bit to actually figure out what was going on, the genetic stuff is a bit confusing, but once I did I flew through it.

Now I'm onto Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2) by Rachel Hawkins

message 34: by Robert (new)

Robert Lumpkin | 4 comments Hey all getting myself to finally finish good old Rachael Morgan series I'm currently finishing " A Perfect Blood." I really enjoy this series but cant read to many in a row.

message 35: by Marti (new)

Marti Melville | 22 comments Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

I am enjoying Riggs' writing style but not sure what to think about the storyline. Has anyone else read it? What does everyone else think?

message 36: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 198 comments Marti wrote: "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

I am enjoying Riggs' writing style but not sure what to think about the storyline. Has anyone else read it? What does everyone else think?"

I have read it and live it Marti. Its so refreshingly unique.

message 37: by Sarbi (new)

Sarbi | 172 comments The Marked Ones (The Fairytail Saga, #1) by S.K. Munt Almost finished! But really this book is just argg! Good but frustrating.

message 38: by Sarbi (new)

Sarbi | 172 comments Cindy wrote: "I just finished up The Professional (Game Maker, #1) by Kresley Cole and then I got through My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1) by Rachel Vincent in one day! Now what to read next..."

Hey Cindy would you reccomend my soul to take? I want to read it but there are some negative thoughts on it so I`m unsure :(

message 39: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 236 comments I'm listening to The Mane Event (Pride, #1) by Shelly Laurenston

message 40: by Aղցela W. (new)

Aղցela W. I have read or listened to BDB and I love this series although I didn't like this book Lover Enshrined as much as I liked the others it was too much self loathing for me. I am up to book 7

message 41: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 67 comments I just finished Caressed By Ice (Psy-Changeling, #3) by Nalini Singh and will do a reread in the next day or so. Yes, I'm late to the party.

message 42: by Tania (new)

Tania | 79 comments Have finished this Every Woman For Herself by Trisha Ashley and for a change of mood Wicked and Dangerous (Wicked Lovers, #7.5; Dangerous Tides, #1.5) by Shayla Black

Am still reading The Raider (Highland Guard, #8) by Monica McCarty