Start by marking “The Raider (Highland Guard, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Raider (Highland Guard, #8)

The Raider

(Highland Guard #8)

After consolidating his gains against the enemy English, King Robert the Bruce of Scotland sends his best soldiers to fortify the lawless borders. These legendary warriors of the Highland Guard let nothing come before king and country—except the calling of their heart.

Of all Bruce's elite warriors, Robert "Raider" Boyd is the most formidable. A true patriot whose bare hand
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published February 25th 2014 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Raider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Raider

Yomi M.
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rating Clarification: 4.5 stars

I loved this book so much. I'm a sucker for forbidden romance and if it's in historical romance that's a million times better. I loved Robbie and Rosalin's love story and that epilogue was just beautiful <3
Brigette
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love Monica McCarty and have never been disappointed with any of her books.
♥ℳelody
*5 delicious stars*
Now this, THIS is what I know and love about Monica McCarty. Oh Robbie Boyd WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!
 photo tumblr_inline_n02vt8r0L11r4jh86.gif

I was starting to get very disheartened the further I went into this series. The plots, dialogue and most specifically the characters were all blurring and sounding the same. The warriors were all interchangable for me after Book 4 and I was very disappointed by that. This series was falling into the dreaded 'copy paste repeat' syndrome which I feel is a total discredit to an
Jonetta
Originally posted at The Book Nympho

About this Highland Guard
Robbie Boyd, aka Raider, is skilled in physical strength and hand-to-hand combat. No one's been able to best him in many years. He was friends with William Wallace when they were kids and he's now Robert the Bruce's authority on the borders. His most hated adversary is Englishman Robert, Baron de Clifford.

The conflict
Six years ago, Clifford had Robbie imprisoned and he faced certain death. His younger sister, Rosalin, was fascinated b
Zoe
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers
I really must learn to give writers second chances.

I read The Chief: Highland Guard #1 by Monica McCarty before. That was my first book from her. I thought the book was ok, but the heroine really annoyed me with all her "why won't he love me?" After that, no matter how many raving reviews I have read about Monica McCarty's Highland Guard series, I could not bring myself to read another one from the series.

Until today.

This book, the Raider, is not an easy book to like. Robbie, the hero, is as
Daniella
May 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Monica McCarty. Having read the previous books in the Highland Guard series, I know just how amazing Ms. McCarty is at her job of weaving tales of gorgeous and lovable highlanders. But God, this book tested my complete devotion to the author. The Raider started out excellently, but by the middle of the book, everything just fell apart, particularly when Robbie started being an asshole. I can never forgive him for calling Rosalin an "English bitch," even if he said it o ...more
Lover of Romance
When Lady Rosalin was sixteen, she rescued a rebel who was sentenced to death by her brother. She sensed something noble and great about him, and after she freed him they shared a kiss that was short but full of promise. Now its been six years, and she has come back to see her brother. When she and her nephew go on a walk outside the safety of the walls, she ends up captured by the one man she once freed and admired. Now she sees a man that is fierce in his determination to get his revenge, and ...more
Ezinwanyi
It was well written, just so dull. I really liked the H/h, but the plot was more about the battle between the English and the Scots than the actual love story. As a Fellow reader (Jonetta) pointed out, it's more Historical Fiction than Historical Romance. It felt like jogging on sand, hard work when I wanted to just enjoy a nice HR.

The Hero Boyd was an honorable man, and the heroine Rosalind was a kind yet strong heroine. I enjoyed them together but it took so long to get there and there was too
Melinda
Feb 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Raider- Highland Guard #8

Why do all the ladies from this series have to be virgins? Except for one, all of the eight women in this series have been virgins and there is a big importance and emphasis put on it. I know that the setting is in the early 1300s but all the men in the series have bragged about the many lasses (in some cases hundreds of lasses) that they have been with so there must have been a lot of women who were not virgins. Of course, the heroines in this series are usually noble w
Zubee
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this h! She was a great character; so smart and so loving ... H tries to be a jerk but he loves her and always treats her well ... she is strong, he makes an effort for her and loved the way he goes to ask her brother for his blessing ... I never expected to like Robbie so much ... also liked Rosalyn's relationship with her brother and the nickname he had for her ....
Beth
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Six years earlier, an English young lady staged a prison break freeing the Scottish rebels. Now Lady Rosalin finds herself a captive to the same band of men she saved.

Her brother is one of the most hated Englishmen and she discovers that man she fell in love with at only 16 was the dreaded “Raider” Robert Boyd.

The chemistry is electrifying but coming from opposites sides of the war seems to be a gap they cannot bridge. When Rosalin shows herself a kind and compassionate person time and time aga
Ivy H
This is my second fav in the Highland Guard series. My number 1 is The Chief but this book provided a different type of thrill via the enemies to lovers trope. Robby Boyd: what can I say about this gorgeous alpha male? I pictured him as Henry Cavill but taller and with a more ripped, muscled body. He was a hothead whose extreme patriotism was so commendable. I loved how torn he was between his duty to his country and his fiery lust for the forbidden English beauty, Roslyn. I rather pictured her ...more
Sabina (Whatsername_reads)
Prejšnja knjiga mi ni bila tako dobra (najbrž tudi zato, ker sem imela vmes bralni mrk), mi je pa tale toliko bolj sedla. Robert ali Plenilec je huh, zelo trd oreh, ampak Rosalin kar tako ne obupa nad njegovo trmo. Ženske smo odločne, če nam gre za dragega, kajne? ;) Zelo zanimiv pa se mi še posebej zdi lik Alexa, upam, da ga bomo spoznali.
Kari Kaz
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This hero is one tough cookie to like, it took me a while to warm up to him. The heroine was amazing throughout the book. Overall a great addition to the series, can't wait for the next one.
Julie
The Raider by Monica McCarty is a 2014 Ballantine Books publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

As a teenage girl, Lady Rosalin Clifford freed Robert Boyd and saved him from execution. Now six years later, her lofty ideals and prinicples are being put to the test. Rosalin and her nephew have been taken hostage by Boyd the infamous "Raider". Rosalin recognizes him at once, but Boyd is a little slow to catch on. Once he realiz
Jessi
***This ARC was provided to me by the publisher and Netgalley for an honest review.***

The Raider by Ms. Monica McCarty is an epic and amazing read. This is the first book that I have read in this series and I was pleasantly surprised but how this book took me for a journey from start to finish. I laughed and cried and at times wanted to throw my kindle across the room because of something the Hero would say.

This book is the journey of Lady Rosalin Clifford and the beloved but pig headed warrior
Aly is so frigging bored
I’ve missed so much the world Monica McCarty has created! Let me give you 10 reasons why you should read this book and this series:
1. Usually I start with the hero because, let’s be fair, I am a heterosexual female who digs hot dudes *and very mature too ;;)*. In this book Rosalin, the heroine, won me: she is smart, inventive, isn’t afraid to breech difficult subjects and she stands for what she believes in. I admire her greatly.
2. Robbie, the hero. He’s a bit slow on the uptake and definitely
Amanda Surowitz
Published February 25th 2014 by Ballantine Books

I had very high hopes for this book, all probably for the wrong reasons. Monica McCarty is a splendid writer. The male lead, Robert Boyd, is one of my ancestors. The surprise novella McCarty slipped between The Hunter and The Raider was a crushing disappointment. Suffice to say, I wanted this book to impress me.

The writing is just as strong as expected, but predictably so. Many familiar phrases reappear in the eighth installment of this series:

"He
Bubu
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hr, 4-stars
After a lengthy drought of likable heroines and at least slightly different types of heroes, The Raider reminded me again why I started reading this series in the first place. I truly liked this book a lot.

Don't kill me, but instead of writing a full review this time, I'd like to give you the links to two reviews of my GR friends, Zoe and Melody. Both have covered my exact sentiments I have about The Raider, concerning the plot, some problems the author has with creating new and interesting char
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
This wasn't my favourite of these series, but it was a very enjoyable entry. I liked both the hero (can I say these types of heros are my favourite and if I could have a genie jump out of a bottle and grant me one wish I might just use it to take myself back in time to be with a bloke just like this!) and the heroine was sweet and lovely. I liked that she didn't play games with the hero and was upfront about everything that she was and wanted. I love that.
Jenny
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved Robbie and Rosalin's love story. They were a great couple with plenty of chemistry. Also the epilogue was super sweet!
Elaine
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
I always love Monica McCarty's books and had been eagerly awaiting to read this installment in the Highland Guard series, but this one, though enjoyable, felt kind of like the same old thing... again. I guess this series is losing steam. I had high expectation with this book, with the premises and how I imagined Robbie Boyd throughout the series. Alas, I couldn't really like either of the main characters (I especially wasn't able to warm up to Rosalin at all) and thus, the overall story
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
I'd say more of a 4.5 read, but I did stay up until I finished it, even though I have to be up in 4 hours! Sooo points & Kudos for this book for sure.

Years ago, Robbie Boyd was held prisoner by Robert Clifford. Clifford's sister, Rosalind would watch the prisoners, especially Robbie. Thinking she was doing good, she hid food for them to find while performing hard labor. This backfires causing someone's eventual death.

Six years later, the Highland Guard raid a village & take a couple pris
Susana Ellis
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Rosalin never forgot her first kiss, at sixteen, when she saved a handsome Scots rebel from being hanged at the hands of her powerful English brother, Earl Clifford. She always wondered what happened to him and secretly felt guilty about betraying her beloved brother.

Six years later, when she and her young nephew are captured and held for ransom by a band of Scots brigands, she discovers that he has become an angry savage bound for revenge against atrocities committed against his family by the E
Hecsania Michelle Michelle
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've just finished and it was such a beautiful story and wonderful HEA that I just want to lie down somewhere and think about it for a while. I'm not surprised though, I knew this would happen when I started reading. Monica McCarty's book always leaves me like this (And I mean all her books! All 14 of them so far) utterly spent, and happy, and sad, and thinking that whatever book I plan to read next would be total crap in comparison.

I loved Robbie and Rosalin and will miss them! But then, I'm al
Cristina
Quickie:
1. This book goes painfully slow as far as romance goes. But it's not that bad. I mention it so you know what to expect.
2. I really like Rosalin (lead female character). There's just something about her. I can't put my finger on it. All I know is I like her.
3. I truly enjoyed jealous Robbie. There's just something fascinating about a possessive alpha male character. It gets me all the time.
4. Sexy scenes you say? There are some. Did I wish for more? Hell yeah.
5. A sweet Epilogue. Ju
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Received a copy from NetGalley for an honest review.

Another home run from Ms. McCarty (or what game would be similar at the Highland Games). I am so in love with this series. These men are just awesome, but I wanted to smack Raider over the head. How stupid can they be sometimes. I wish it didn't take so long between books. I so want to say something but I don't like spoilers, so I will be quiet. There was a one line teaser at the very end...next book is going to be pretty boy Arrow.

Sandra ~aka vamp gal~
OMG the best read ever...I love the way Monica writes. She has such a way of drawing me in to feel like I'm in the book. I feel every bit of excitement, frustration, joy, pain and heart break. My heart beats faster, I feel dread in the pit of my stomach, I cry, my heart feels like it's breaking with ever word I read. Such an intense and powerful read. I have yet to find another author who can bring that level of intensity to a story. Thankyou Monica for another outstanding story!
Pam
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this one...one of my favorites in the series. It gave Robbie and Roslin time to develop feeling for each other, feelings that were more realistic than those that came from their initial meeting. Also, it was nice to get to spend some time in the camp, to get a senses of what everyday life was like. This was a totally satisfying read.
Calpurnia
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Ay Qué a gusto me he quedado

• The Chieftain (The Return of the Highlanders, #4)
  • How to be a Scottish Mistress
  • Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3)
  • Lady Anne’s Lover
  • Happily Bedded Bliss (The Rakes of Cavendish Square, #2)
  • The Highlander's Desire (Highlander Brothers, #2)
  • Conquered by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #4)
  • Enslaved by the Viking (Viking Warriors #1)
  • The Trouble With Highlanders (The Sutherlands, #2)
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2)
  • His Wicked Ways (MacKay, #1)
  • Highland Master (Murray Family, #19)
  • Highlander Most Wanted (The Montgomerys and Armstrongs, #2)
  • Highland Lover (Scottish Knights Trilogy, #3)
  • The Devil's Necklace (Necklace Trilogy, #2)
  • Seducing the Highlander (The McTiernays, #5)
What do you get when you mix a legal career, a baseball career, motherhood, and a love of history with a voracious reader? In my case, a Historical Romance Author.

Like most writers, I’ve always loved to read. Growing up in California there was always plenty to do outside, but all too often I could be found inside curled up with a book (or two or three). I started with the usual fare: The Little Ho

Highland Guard (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Chief (Highland Guard, #1)
  • The Hawk (Highland Guard, #2)
  • The Ranger (Highland Guard, #3)
  • The Viper (Highland Guard, #4)
  • The Saint (Highland Guard, #5)
  • The Recruit (Highland Guard, #6)
  • The Hunter (Highland Guard, #7)
  • The Arrow (Highland Guard, #9)
  • The Striker (Highland Guard, #10)
  • The Rock (Highland Guard, #11)