The Sword and Laser discussion

The Martian
This topic is about The Martian
2014 Reads > TM: Anyone Else Worried? (Chapter 1-3 spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (last edited May 02, 2014 06:24AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 635 comments I've been an insatiable reader since I could read. If Goodreads had existed back then, I'd have somewhere near 1000 books in my read column. I also also like other narrative forms like comics and movies. I imagine many of you who are in this book club are in the same boat. This gives us the ability to predict plots quite accurately. We know all the tropes.

I'm somewhere into the third chapter, I think. (view spoiler)

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 635 comments Got about 33% through today. (view spoiler)

terpkristin | 4211 comments I'm about halfway done and am kind of bored of it. It's the same thing over and over again, rinse, repeat.

Paolo (ppiazzesi) | 51 comments I´m about 80% in and while I´m enjoying it, no, I have never been worried about Mark´s survival. I´ve never really considered the possibility of him dying alone on Mars, and this lack of dramatic tension is one of my main criticisms.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited May 24, 2014 02:03PM) (new)

Well some folk sort of spoiled it for me, so I don't really have that issue. But then again I'm barely into chapter two so far. Enjoying the random humor, though.

message 6: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6910 comments Mod
Rabindranauth wrote: "Well some folk sort of spoiled it for me..."

So now you're trying to spoil it for others by putting that in a thread about the first three chapters?