Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Midnight Crossroad (Midnight, Texas, #1)
This topic is about Midnight Crossroad
Previous BOMs - Authors; E - H > Midnight Crossroad, by Charlaine Harris - Start Date June 22nd (June 2014 Adult Sci-Fi/Fantasy) Informal Buddy Read Revisit June 1, 2018 **REVISIT** 1 June 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 184 (184 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 09, 2014 06:58AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30650 comments Mod

This thread is to discuss Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris. Be prepared for spoilers.

Synopsis:

FIRST IN A NEW TRILOGY

From Charlaine Harris, the bestselling author who created Sookie Stackhouse and her world of Bon Temps, Louisiana, comes a darker locale—populated by more strangers than friends. But then, that’s how the locals prefer it…

Welcome to Midnight, Texas, a town with many boarded-up windows and few full-time inhabitants, located at the crossing of Witch Light Road and Davy Road. It’s a pretty standard dried-up western town.

There’s a pawnshop (someone lives in the basement and is seen only at night). There’s a diner (people who are just passing through tend not to linger). And there’s new resident Manfred Bernardo, who thinks he’s found the perfect place to work in private (and who has secrets of his own).

Stop at the one traffic light in town, and everything looks normal. Stay awhile, and learn the truth...

CHARACTERS - only minor spoilers
(view spoiler)

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 27, 2014 09:52PM) (new)

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters PPDQs*
June 22 Untitled - Chp.5 Lisa Kay
June 23 Chp.06 - 15 Karen
June 24 Chp.16 - 23 Lisarenee
June 25 Chp.24 - 30 Lisa Kay
June 26 Chp.31 - 39 Lisarenee

PPDQs* = Person Posting Discussion Questions

message 3: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited May 02, 2014 05:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14152 comments Mod
I just love the idea of a series about Manfred!

Here is a review that I read in the paper today

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4753 comments Yeah, I loved Harper Connelly and so I'm glad we're getting more of that world with Manfred. I want to read the Sookie/Manfred story but can't seem to get my hands on it!

Audrey Jane | 1301 comments Is Midnight Crossroad some kind of spin-off to the Sookie Stackhouse series? I was wondering because I didn't read C. Harris' other series.

message 6: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Audrey Jane wrote: "Is Midnight Crossroad some kind of spin-off to the Sookie Stackhouse series? I was wondering because I didn't read C. Harris' other series."

This book works as “stand alone” quite nicely. Yes, she does have characters from other series, but you wouldn’t know it, unless you had read those series. I don’t want to ruin the surprise of which characters from which series show up.

~LK

Audrey Jane | 1301 comments Thank you for the clarification. I will definitely try this one.

message 8: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Jun 13, 2014 06:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments I've never read any of her books. I would like to try this book. I promise I will stay on course. LOL

Fictitious1 | 66 comments Following - my first Charlaine Harris book too!

message 10: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

:D

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments I have my book and I'm ready :)

message 12: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Great!

message 13: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Famous movie line: “Put your lips together and blow.” {YouTube}
Quote from the romance-war-adventure film To Have and Have Not (1944). Said by Lauren Bacall (Marie "Slim" Browning) to Humphrey Bogart (Harry "Steve" Morgan).

message 14: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Manfred’s possible tats:

Symbolic Ankh Tattoo Ideas
(From www.whats-your-sign.com)

At their most basic, ankh tattoos represent life and the abundance available to mankind in living life.

Specifically, the ankh symbol illustrates the combination of elements to create life.

The loop at the top is symbolic of the sun as it joins the earth's horizon. This union between sun and earth as conveyed in the ankh symbol is profound for the ancient Egyptian mindset which is where this symbol originates. The sun sweetly kisses the lands of Egypt - providing vital growth and abundance. With the combination of the all-powerful sun and the earth along with her waters - all life in Egypt is promised to prosper.

The ankh is also a symbol of combination of male and female powers as well as the connection between sun and earth. These conjugative associations are sacred as we see the ankh is a symbol of the union between Osiris and Isis - prime deities of the ancient Egyptians.

message 15: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 21, 2014 09:59PM) (new)

Lisa Kay’s Discussion Questions for Untitled Prologue to Chapter 5

1. What do you think of the characters of Midnight? Did any of them in particular pique your interest as to what their secrets are? What of Midnight itself?

2. Do you think Manfred’s abilities are real? If so, are they significant? Did he choose to move to Midnight specifically? Why did he leave his last residence? What are his “plans” financially?

3. Is Creek too young for Manfred? Will he ever get to see her naked?

4. What did you make of the two strangers eating in Home Cookin Restaurant? Who were they watching?

5. So, Lemuel was “leeching” from Manfred under the table. Did Lemuel feel it was an emergency situation, due to the possible threat from the two strangers? What did you make of Manfred’s reaction to it all? Were the others completely oblivious, or just discreet?

6. Does Lemuel know anything about the night Aubrey vanished?

7. What did you think of Fiji’s citywide picnic and hike idea to Río Roca Fría (Cold Rock River)?

8. Fiji doesn’t seem to have quite mastered all her spells. Did the one she performed in the hopes of revealing Aubrey’s true nature go awry? What talent does Manfred see “lurking” in Fiji? Will her attraction to Bobo remain unrequited?

9. Did you notice the woman sprawled across the road in the blue cover above? Is that the vanished Aubrey? Do you think she’s alive or dead?

10. Manfred always seems to put his foot in his mouth around Fiji. Do you think they’ll become good friends? Or something more? Will he ever say he’s sorry?

message 16: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

CASTING: Which cat makes the best Mr. Snuggly - AKA “Snug”?

a)

b)

c)

d)

message 17: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay’s Discussion Questions for Untitled Prologue to Chapter 5

1. What do you think of the characters of Midnight? Did any of them in particular pique your interest as to what their secrets are? What of Midnight itself?
I love the setting and the characters, but I am a character-driven book reader, so this is right up my alley. I can only imagine the type of place Midnight is as I've not been to any small U.S towns, but the way she describes it gives me a feeling of dry heat, sand, open space....

2. Do you think Manfred’s abilities are real? If so, are they significant? Did he choose to move to Midnight specifically? Why did he leave his last residence? What are his “plans” financially?
I think (based on the Harper Connolly books) they are, but they just aren't consistent. I can only assume he moved there after all the goings on in the last Harper book which I don't want to give spoilers about ;)
I guess he is just laying low for a while, finding a new place to make his

lol!! They aren't so different in age, I guess it all comes down to maturity. I don't know why I always assumed Manfred was gay or bisexual. This book has set that right!

4. What did you make of the two strangers eating in Home Cookin Restaurant? Who were they watching?
I love this bit with the strangers in town that everyone notices! Can't wait to find out

5. So, Lemuel was “leeching” from Manfred under the table. Did Lemuel feel it was an emergency situation, due to the possible treat from the two strangers? What did you make of Manfred’s reaction to it all? Were the others completely oblivious, or just discreet?
Wasn't this interesting?! I guess it could've been an emergency situation... or a way for him to see if Manfred would react and therefore if he would be the kind of person who can live in Midnight. I would've FREAKED OUT! :o

I am assuming he does, in fact I think everyone probably knows something they aren't saying. Small town secret stuff

7. What did you think of Fiji’s citywide picnic and hike idea to Río Roca Fría (Cold Rock River)?
Cool idea, but I do wonder about the motivation seeing that the towns folk seem to want to be on their own and left to their own business

8. Fiji doesn’t seem to have quite mastered all her spells. Did the one she performed in the hopes of revealing Aubrey’s true nature go awry? What talent does Manfred see “lurking” in Fiji? Will her attraction to Bobo remain unrequited?
I wonder...

9. Did you notice the woman sprawled across the road in the blue cover above? Is that the vanished Aubrey? Do you think she’s alive or dead?
Yes, I really like that cover. I think Aubrey is dead

10. Manfred always seems to put his foot in his mouth around Fiji. Do you think they’ll become good friends? Or something more? Will he ever say he’s sorry?
I think they will become friends ; they have beliefs in similar things with clairvoyance and witchcraft

Fictitious1 | 66 comments Lisa Kay’s Discussion Questions for Untitled Prologue to Chapter 5

The Reverend and Mr Snuggles - I suspect that neither of them are quite what they appear.

He seems to hint at having some psychic abilities when he is in physical proximity but most of his internet stuff is just, as he puts it, psychology. I don't think he has chosen Midnight specifically. His comments about hibernating through the winter make me think he is saving for something - a trip or a project perhaps.

There is only four years between them, that isn't too young. I definitely think he will eventually catch her but it might not be until later in the series. I doubt he will give up wanting to see her naked.

Manifred seems poercepptive so if he says Bobo it must be and it must be either related to Aubrey or an artifact that someone has pawned.

5. So, Lemuel was “leeching” from Manfred under the table. Did Lemuel feel it was an emergency situation, due to the possible treat from the two strangers? What did you make of Manfred’s reaction to it all? Were the others completely oblivious, or just discreet?
I think Lemuel came, like everyone else, to have dinner and Manifred was his dinner. I think that they might be a bit of both - discreet and oblivious. Vampire powers at work!

I think he might suspect but surely if he knew he would tell Bobo.

Sounds fun!

I don't think anything will happen between them because Manifred keeps putting his foot in his mouth.

I think she is a vampire or some other supernatural creature. I hope it isn't Creek.

Men never say sorry. I think they will be allies.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Lisa Kay’s Discussion Questions for Untitled Prologue to Chapter 5

I think the characters are in Midnight so that they can have their own little private town, where no one bothers them and what they are. I like their names, it kind of suits them and the town. I think there is something to the cat but also something Aubrey. I'm curious as to what she is.

I'm not sure yet but his interest in the others is a little strange. It's like he wants something like to exploit the people in the town or he's hiding from something or someone. If his abilities are real then I think may be helpful to the town at the end.

Hahaha nice question LK but no I don't thing Creek is too young and I'm sure Manfred will see her naked eventyally but I'm sure they'll be something like them getting caught with their pants down :)

I believe they are there for something or someone and I'm sure that's when the mystery is going to begin.

5. So, Lemuel was “leeching” from Manfred under the table. Did Lemuel feel it was an emergency situation, due to the possible threat from the two strangers? What did you make of Manfred’s reaction to it all? Were the others completely oblivious, or just discreet?
I thought that Lemuel was either thinking that there was going to be trouble and didn't want Manfred to react or maybe he figured if something happened he could grab a quick meal off Manfred LOL but also he must of thought that they were there for him because I think he knows something about Aubrey's disappearance or he knows where she is. Manfred was probably wondering what was the big deal and then was thinking that he wanted to know what was going on. I know if it were me I'd be like ok, what did I miss and want to get the hell out of the trouble that I may have thought was coming. As for the others, I think they were being discreet because they didn't want the strangers to react.

I think he does and that's why he acted the way he did.

I thought it sounded like she wanted to do something fun as a way of finding out more about the people around her.

I think Fiji must have thought she did it correctly but in actuality it really didn't do anything. I think Manfred sees Fiji as a beginner or she just acts like she is and wants to know either way. I think Fiji's feelings towards Bobo will come out by accident.

Yes, my thought was that was the missing Aubrey and that she must have died and Lemuel must have changed her into a vampire.

Figi and Manfred in the end of the book will become good and a good team for whatever is about to happen and maybe alittle more than that since I don't think the Bobo and her thing is going to go any farther than what they already have. I think eventually Manfred will learn how to say he's sorry with Fiji always reminding him. LOL

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Moderators of Nothing but Reading Challenges (All the Mods) wrote: "CASTING: Which cat makes the best Mr. Snuggly - AKA “Snug”?

a)

b)

c)

d) "

I'm thinking B :)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments @ Karen

#1 – Love the character and setting, too. I would say you’ve got the right picture in your mind of that part of Texas.

#2 – I haven’t read the Harper Connolly books, yet. I’d best get to them.

#4 – Yes, that part is typical small town.

#5 – Could have been partly a test for compatibility in living there.

#6 – True.

#7 – Maybe they just like to get together occasionally, and then have a ‘l want to be alone’ attitude the other times.

#9 & 10 – Ditto.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments @ Fictitious1

#1 – I suspect you’re right!

#2 – I like your theory on why he is saving.

#4 – Ah! Didn’t think of something pawned. Good one.

#8 & #10 – **chuckles**

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments @ Carmen

#2 – Interesting.

#5 – Yes, I would have freaked a bit. Plus, I’d be asking what I missed, too.

#7 – Ah! Could very well be.

#9 – Oh! I hadn’t thought of that.

#10 – LOL! Lots of reminding.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments I guess but what woman doesn't like reminding a man where and what he should be doing LOL

message 25: by Audrey Jane (last edited Jun 23, 2014 08:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Audrey Jane | 1301 comments 1. What do you think of the characters of Midnight? Did any of them in particular pique your interest as to what their secrets are? What of Midnight itself?
All the characters seem quite intriguing/mysterious up till now. I want to know more about Bobo & Aubrey and Olivia, since Manfred thinks she went after those strangers in the restaurant. I think she's hiding something too.

I think they might be real but we haven't had prove of his abilities yet, I hope so later.

No, I don't think she's too young for him. lol I don't know if the 'feeling' is mutual. Creek seemed indifferent towards Manfred's charms. But why not maybe later. But it has been hinted at that almost everyone in town is protective over Creek, including Lemuel.

I liked Manfred's observations about their behaviour. I will go with what Manfred said, I think they were watching Bobo. He's linked to Aubrey & the pawnshop, there's enough mystery surrounding him.

Yes, and to test Manfred because he's the new guy around. Manfred was pretty cool about it and only noticed it when he was feeling tired, not before.

I think he does but he keeps to himself.

Sounds nice, and this way it might bring up some answers when everyone is brought together and we might be able to observe the dynamics in the group.

I think her spell didn't work but it seems she feels partly quilty for Aubrey's disappearance. I'm sure Bobo will find out eventually but in the meantime Fiji might have moved on.

I secretly hope she isn't dead but rather some obscure/mysterious reason why she left/disappeared.

I think they will become friends but I don't think more than that. Yes, at some crucial/emotive moment or so.

Audrey Jane | 1301 comments Moderators of Nothing but Reading Challenges (All the Mods) wrote: "CASTING: Which cat makes the best Mr. Snuggly - AKA “Snug”?

a)

b)

c)

d) "

I'm going for B too :)

message 27: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jun 22, 2014 02:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh I forgot to vote on the cat! I like C as he looks snuggly but with something strange going on behind those eyes ;)

message 28: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jun 22, 2014 02:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Comments and questions
June 23
Chapters 6-15

11. Were you surprised by the visitors to Bobo's store and how suddenly it turned violent?

12. I couldn't help but giggle at the description of Olivia in her underwear with a long bow. I knew that the characters would have some wicked/dark sides (this is a Charlaine Harris novel after all!), but I didn't see that coming with Olivia being armed in such an unusual fashion and then taking a body to the "usual place". Your thoughts?

13. So Fiji can do some pretty neat spells after all. Did you like the 'detective statue' trick? ;)

14. It seems odd that Bobo (and the town) assumed that Aubrey left him and didn't consider foul play. But then immediately Bobo, Fiji and Olivia think the body that is discovered is Aubrey (even before seeing the shoes)... Don't you think?

15. Everyone in this town has secrets - even the deceased! Seeing that Aubrey's ex-husband was part of the MOL, do you think Aubrey came to Midnight specifically to seek out Bobo and find out about his grandfather's rumoured weapons?

16. Fiji and Olivia are both covering for Bobo. What do you think? Did he do it? Do you have any alternate theories?

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Lisa Kay’s Discussion Questions for Untitled Prologue to Chapter 5

I suppose I liked Manfred the most so far. I feel like this book is a cross between one of Harris's other books Shakespeare's Landlord and J.K. Rowlings The Casual Vacancy. It's basically the "toss the reader into a town of random crazy people" approach. I usually find that I'm rather confused for the first third to half of the book til I get a handle on who everyone is. Though since this appears to be a series that might end up working out alright.

I think it's amusing that he appears to be a real psychic that's conning people by doing false readings since he can't over the internet. I assume he's for real since they mentioned it in prose instead of speech. It seems like he's doing fairly well financially since he has several area's he's pulling money in from.

Doesn't seem like she's too young. Only 4 years different. Plus technically, even if she wasn't 18 yet he could still get to know her just not sleep with her. For some reason I thought he'd end up with Fiji though I'm not sure of her age so that might be creepier than I'm imagining.

It seems like it's a whole town of random mystic people with different skills so I assume they're observing one of them for their skill.

Maybe it's just a habit to skim off of people, or maybe most people don't notice? I assume maybe Manfred is more observant than others or maybe Lemuel took more since he was nervous.

Not sure. I assume that she comes into it a lot based on the foreshadowing.

Sounds like something that a small town would do. Also sounds like a time where Manfred gets to meet other random folks in town.

I think they'll end up working together on something.

I have the other cover. It's interesting that one cover shows day and one shows night.

I thought they'd become more but again, I don't know her age so it might be creepy. I imagine he'll say he's sorry since he seems to have noted it as being important.

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4753 comments Just as a tidbit, Fiji is twenty eight according to chapter four.

"Fiji looked at him uncertainly. Was Bobo teasing her? Did he seriously believe she would enjoy, at twenty eight, having a crush on the new kid in school?"

:)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Steven wrote: "Just as a tidbit, Fiji is twenty eight according to chapter four.

"Fiji looked at him uncertainly. Was Bobo teasing her? Did he seriously believe she would enjoy, at twenty eight, having a crush o..."

Ah-ha. That makes me feel better. I was worried she was like 65 and I was imagining some sort of cougar romance.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Comments and questions
June 23
Chapters 6-15

11. Were you surprised by the visitors to Bobo's store and how suddenly it turned violent?
Yes, I couldn't believe what went down. They really wanted what his grandfather's guns.

12. I couldn't help but giggle at the description of Olivia in her underwear with a long bow. I knew that the characters would have some wicked/dark sides (this is a Charlaine Harris novel after all!), but I didn't see that coming with Olivia being armed in such an unusual fashion and then taking a body to the "usual place". Your thoughts?
I thought hmm someone was getting busy or she just walked around her place in her undies. Either way when the description made her a bad ass especially with the bow and carrying the body off like nothing and then dumping the body in the "usual place" let you know that this wasn't their first time but I really want to know where they dumped the body.

13. So Fiji can do some pretty neat spells after all. Did you like the 'detective statue' trick? ;)
That was awesome. My thought was can she teach me that because there are a few kids I'd like to do that to.LOL and that detective must have been very annoying and persistent or she must have said something to freak Fiji out in order to make her do that to her.

14. It seems odd that Bobo (and the town) assumed that Aubrey left him and didn't consider foul play. But then immediately Bobo, Fiji and Olivia think the body that is discovered is Aubrey (even before seeing the shoes)... Don't you think?
Well I guess they didn't think anything like that would happen to anyone in their town especially since they know what goes on around town but I did think that it was weird that when they heard about the body that they automatically that it was Aubrey but then again with everything that has been happening that was probably the most obvious thing to them. She was the only person who has left the town without letting anyone know and she hasn't sent for her stuff either.

15. Everyone in this town has secrets - even the deceased! Seeing that Aubrey's ex-husband was part of the MOL, do you think Aubrey came to Midnight specifically to seek out Bobo and find out about his grandfather's rumoured weapons?
I was thinking that she was in town to hide from the MOL and when they found out that she was there they forced her to get them but she wouldn't or couldn't find it and then someone from the MOL killed her and now trying to frame Bobo.

16. Fiji and Olivia are both covering for Bobo. What do you think? Did he do it? Do you have any alternate theories?
I think they are covering for him because they believe that he didn't do it and want to keep him from going to jail for something that he didn't do but I don't think that he did it. He seems sincere when he says he love her but he could have found out that she was lying about who she really was and killed her or like I said before it could have been someone from the MOL.

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4753 comments I had just gone back to figure that out myself so I thought I'd pass it on. :)

message 34: by Imke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Lisa Kay's discussion questions for untitled prologue to chapter 5.

1. I already like the characters in Midnight. I liked reading about Bobo Winthrop and what he has become. I already knew a little of him from reading the Lily Bard series, he's all grown up now. I like Midnight, I think Manfred has made a good choice in moving there.

2. I think his abilities are real, but like his grandmother he fakes it when he doesn't get a reading. And for his internet services he relies a lot on psychology. I think he chose Midnight because it is remote. He probably left his last residence because of memories attached to it.

3. I don't think he is to old. He probably will see her naked, but not in this book.

4. They were watching Bobo. They are up to no good.

5. I think Lemuel was just hungry and maybe it was his way of welcoming Manfred to Midnight. I don't think the others were oblivious, they all went through the same thing I think.

6. I think he knows something.

7. Great idea. They can het to know each other better.

8. I think Fiji is still learning to be a whitch and I think that is the talent Manfred is seeing in her, her magic.

9. Maybe, I think she is dead.

10. They probably will be good friends as soon as he learns to say sorry. And Manfred nerds to learn to think before he speaks.

Fictitious1 | 66 comments @Carmen
3. Haha I think you're right!

@Audrey Jane
7. I think you're right about observing the group dynamics
9. Me too!

@Kelly
4. I hadn't thought of it being a town of mystics but I won't be surprised if almost everyone has a secret and/or power.

@ Imke
1. I haven't read that series. It will be interesting to see if you get a better understanding t of the novel because of your background knowledge of Bobo.

Fictitious1 | 66 comments Chapters 6-15

I was completely surprised!

I really expected that there would be some explanation of why she had a bow and not her gun drawn. Perhaps it will be explained later or maybe it was just there for comical value.

Love it! I wish I could do it too.

I have been wondering this all along. If she left all of her stuff there for him to box, where is she. Surely you would assume something had happened unless there was a note or something.

I think she is there to infiltrate him. It must be related to MOL.

I don't necessarily think he did it. However it all all very strange.
My theory is that Fiji's spell worked and Bobo or someone else discovered that she was there as a spy for MOL and killed her. Then someone (maybe Lemuel) has compelled him to forget and to think that she has left him. The person may have even compelled the whole town.
I think it is significant that they lied about seeing Aubrey after Bobo left. I'm not convinced the Lemuel is involved because I think he would have disposed of the body better "in the usual place".

message 37: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Steven wrote: "Just as a tidbit, Fiji is twenty eight according to chapter four.

"Fiji looked at him uncertainly. Was Bobo teasing her? Did he seriously believe she would enjoy, at twenty eight, having a crush o..."

message 38: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

@Carmen

12. Yes I totally want to know more about this too and why they have a "usual" place

13. LOL!

15&16. good theories

--------

@Ficticious1

12. Yeah I think a bit of comical value, but also to show what a bad-ass she is

14. For sure

16. Hmmm.. Lots to think about. You may be right about Fiji's spell

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4753 comments Got to chapter 9 before I had to start getting ready for work... didn't want to put it down! :(

I dunno if I'm going to be able to stop from reading ahead.... X)

Time to catch up on questions!

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4753 comments Lisa Kay’s Discussion Questions for Untitled Prologue to Chapter 5

1. I'm really enjoying the diverse cast of characters. I'm interested in getting to know all of them much better through the course of what I hope is a LONG series and not just a trilogy LOL

I think I'd really like to get to know ALL of them, and can't really pick just one -- but I am excited to learn more about Manfred. :)

2. Yeah, I think we've proven they're real, if you've read the Harper Connelly series (which now I want to read again!), and think they'll play a part in cementing himself a place in this cuckoo town. :) He left his last residence because Xylda, his grandmother, died and he needed to move on. Did he choose Midnight purposefully? I dunno, I think it was fate.

3. I don't think she's too young... but I doubt they'll be together in this book at least.

4. I've read part of day two's section, so I won't answer this one.

5. I am not sure. Part of me thinks he couldn't resist because Manfred is special. Part of me thinks that Lemuel understood that they were similar in that they were so different from everyone else, so he was sharing his secret, albeit forwardly... so many ways to take it. I think everyone knows :P

6. Probably.

7. Sounds fun... until the events of day two's section. :P

8. I think I don't know how to answer these! LOL!

9. I don't have that cover :P

10. He'd better learn that. It's an important part of building relationships in general.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Steven I'm with you. I couldn't help but go ahead. I stopped at chapter 21 and can't get to read it today until later because I have my son's elementary graduation in a few hours and I'm running around getting things done before I leave the house and I'm getting anxious wanting to know what's next. :)

message 42: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

:) It is a tough book to put down, and the audio is very good

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4753 comments I'm supposed to be reading two other books right now too, and they're both stuck under 20%... because this one is good :D

message 44: by Audrey Jane (last edited Jun 23, 2014 06:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Audrey Jane | 1301 comments June 23
Chapters 6-15

Yes, definitely. I thought they just came to verbally threaten Bobo and the reader would be able to feel the tension, but nothing physical.

I think there's still much to learn about Olivia. It seems like people trust/depend on her. She saved Bobo, has a connection with Menuel and she's the first person Fiji calls after finding the body. The hinted "usual place" makes me wonder how frequently they dispose of bodies? The whole scene seemed like nothing unusual for them.

Yep, I was wrong. I first thought she was kind of the new age type of witch but it's the real stuff after all :) Yes, that was pretty awesome. I think Fiji still needs to discover more about her powers since she was uncertain how long the spell would hold. Btw I laughed with Manfred's observation of the detective when she ran out of the chapel. I'm so curious, what happened?

I agree. I'm not an expert but any person missing for 24hours should be reported, no? Everyone jumped to conclusions and just assumed she left Bobo. They could at least call the police. Also I'm not questioning Bobo's feelings for Aubrey but why didn't he search for her or asked himself a bit more questions, certainly when Aubrey left all her stuff behind. I think they are all still hiding something.

Maybe, I'm still trying to figure out that one.

I don't think he did it but as with question 14, it's odd. Those three are hiding something. Maybe Fiji's spell worked. And we know that Fiji and Olivia didn't like her. They might be covering for anyone, maybe they killed Aubrey and something went wrong with hiding the body. The gun is from Bobo's shop, somebody must know about the gun.

@ Carmen

12. She does give off the impression of a badass attitude. I wonder too.
13. Absolutely :) I think I would use it more than necessary
15. Sounds plausible!

@Ficticious1

14. Yes, I agree.
16. I like that theory. Lemuel is the key

Audrey Jane | 1301 comments I concur with Steven/Carmen/Karen. I had to slow down and started another book instead but it doesn't grab me as much as this one, I want to know what happens next :)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments @ Audrey Jane

#1 – Yes, Olivia is very intriguing.

#3 – Good point; Manfred’s intentions better be ‘honorable.’

#10 – Ah! You have faith in him.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments @ Kelly

#1 – LOL!

#3 – Yes, patience is a virtue. Hopefully, Manfred is a patient man.

#5 – Good point; Manfred is pretty observant.

#8 – Yeah, I’m thinking allies, too.

#9 – Gasp! I hadn’t even noticed that.

#10 – FYI for future use: I believe I put most of the characters’ ages under the spoiler in Post #1, if I ran across it.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments @ Imke

#1 – I haven’t read the Lily Bard series, either. I’d best get cracking.

#5 – Really? Interesting.

#8 – Ah!

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments @ Steven

#1 – True, I’m enjoying all the characters.

#5 – Ah! Very, very interesting and something for me to think about.

#8 – ☺

#10 – LOL!

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Karen’s Questions & Lisa Kay’s Answers for Chapters 6-15

Very! I was like, “WTH?”

Olivia is pretty exotic – and intimidating. I kind of gulped over the “usual place” comments.

Yes, that was pretty funny to me.

Yes, I’m wondering why they assumed Aubrey left him (especially when I read she left her belongings behind), but then “knew” it was her body. It does seem a bit odd.

I’ve finished the book, but at this point I didn’t think that. But then, I’m a romantic at heart.

Bobo sure looks suspicious, but at this point I didn’t think he did it. I think he truly thought she’d left him and that he truly loved her.

« previous 1 3 4