Start by marking “Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden, #1)” as Want to Read:
Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden, #1)

Real Murders

(Aurora Teagarden #1)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  26,902 ratings  ·  1,989 reviews
Though a small town at heart, Lawrenceton, Georgia, has its dark side-and crime buffs. One of whom is librarian Aurora "Roe" Teagarden, a member of the Real Murders Club, which meets once a month to analyze famous cases. It's a harmless pastime—until the night she finds a member killed in a manner that eerily resembles the crime the club was about to discuss. And as other ...more
Published December 1st 1990 by Walker & Company

To ask other readers questions about Real Murders, please sign up.
Rikki I think it just that the name is kind of silly and fanciful. Aurora isn't an uncommon name but it isn't something like Jennifer or Ashley. And…moreI think it just that the name is kind of silly and fanciful. Aurora isn't an uncommon name but it isn't something like Jennifer or Ashley. And Teagarden just comes across as a slightly silly last name. It conjures images of tea parties in meadows (for me at least). The combination of the two makes for a whimsical image that is counter to how Aurora the character is generally perceived.(less)
Cora I don't know if the publisher will see your comment here, you may want to try to email them directly or see if they have fixed the issue. I borrowed…moreI don't know if the publisher will see your comment here, you may want to try to email them directly or see if they have fixed the issue. I borrowed the kindle (ebook) through overdrive but it didn't have any formatting issues at all, so maybe it was fixed or a different version. (less)

·  26,902 ratings  ·  1,989 reviews

Start your review of Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden, #1)
Jilly
Apr 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Boring main character. Ugly love interests. (When someone is described as having a face with "character", you know he's not bringing the sexy). But, still a fun enough book because of the murders. The murders are all copycats of famous murders of the past.

I don't know if my murder radar was out or something, but I actually never suspected the killer in this story. I like when I'm surprised by
Angela
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
After reading all the Sookie books, and then starting this series out of curiosity, I've realized that Charlaine Harris needs to quit preaching through her characters.

Both female characters, Sookie and Aurora (not sure about the other two), have mentioned more than once about not having a boyfriend and being lonely and envying people who do date, both want babies, neither one feels comfortable sleeping around, both feel they should be more religious than they are, and it gets old rea
Shannon
I decided to read this on a plane trip because it seemed easy to read and get into without having to think too hard, which is good because I get sleepy on planes. I don't often read mysteries but I'm determined to read everything Harris writes. I like her other two mystery protagonists, Lily Bard and Harper Connelly, but I have to say I like Aurora Teagarden the least.

Aurora is pretty plain and boring, even without her being a librarian. She lives alone and doesn't even have a pet. She's 28 and wears jean skirts, blo
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
DNF-
Disappointed. Within the first two chapters there were sexual innuendos and mentions of an unmarried couple having sex often and such along those lines. God's name was also misused.
There's a really good reason I don't read secular fiction and even books that were turned into Hallmark movies with a Christian actress aren't even safe to read.
Never thought I'd say I enjoyed the movie of a book better than the actual book.
Steven
Not a huge cozy fan, but I like Charlaine Harris and it was a decently clever mystery. I had wondered about the murderer(s) but wasn't sure overall until the end.

I'll probably pick up the next one eventually. :)
Amy
Jul 13, 2008 rated it liked it
I like reading Harris' Southern Vampire series and I am a librarian so I thought I would give her Aurora Teagarden series a mystery (Aurora is a librarian). At first I was a little overwhelmed with the cast of characters introduced off the bat (12+ characters, some significant, some not so much...). I did like that the murder was discovered within the first chapter or two. It is a drag when the murder happens 1/3 of the way through the book...
Overall I enjoyed this book. I was hoping that
Wanda
***2017 Summer Lovin’ Reading List***

A typical Charlaine Harris setting for this mystery series, a small community in the South. As per usual, Harris nails the small town details, the over-entwined lives, the importance of reputation, and the somewhat rigid social roles that people get pigeon-holed into.

Not an overwhelmingly wonderful mystery, but enough to keep me reading quickly right to the end and enough to encourage me to put a hold on the second volume at the library. It a
Stephanie
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
*4.5 stars*

I don't often read mysteries nowadays, but I loved the narrator's voice so much, it sucked me right in. I love librarian Aurora Teagarden, her intelligence, her sense of humor, and her deeply grounded, common sense attitude combined with her barely-hidden desire for adventure. I love her mom and her community, and for once, I'm actually really enjoying the love triangle Aurora is in.

(Normally, I really dislike love triangles and just have to shrug and cope with them when
Elyse
I really enjoyed the Lily Bard series but it took me awhile to start listening to another of Charlaine Harris's series. This one is quite a different situation than Lily Bard. A murder club?! Yikes! Reminds me of the murder club in Gillian Flynn's Dark Places. A murder club is definitely a dark thing. And seem to attract a wide array of people. I loooove that Aurora is a librarian! My dream job! I was guessing whodunnit the whole book. I watched the Hallmark movie after reading the book, quite a ...more
Glen
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozies
Small town Librarian is a member of a club that examines true crime tales. When somebody murders a member of said club in the fashion of the crime they are examining, members of the club are natural suspects. The librarian starts nosing around to clear her name, and save her life.

A little bit more tension than most cozies.
Amy Yingling
I love Charlaine Harris! She can write about blood-sucking vampires one minute and then sweet Aurora Teagarden the next. This book was an enjoyable read for me, especially since I had just come off the emotional roller coaster that is the book "A Man Called Ove", which made me feel every possible emotion a person can feel, but back to Miss Teagarden! So Aurora is not your average girl next door, but only because she is a member of The Real Murders Club. They don't commit real murders together (o ...more
Jonathan
Sometimes you just need to read a book that gives you goosebumps. This was one of those books, filled with intrigue, mayhem, and copycat killers this book had me up half of the night last night reading and it was amazing.

The MC, Aurora was wonderfully written. When Aurora laughed you wanted to laugh, when she screamed you wanted to scream, when she fainted you wanted to faint. Ms. Harris did a simply wonderful job of writing Aurora as more than a fictional character, as an individual
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review:

Cover: Boring
Rating: R
Overall: An entertaining read
Characters: Well Written
Plot: Try to stop a killer while dating
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Arthur

SUMMARY (50 words or less)
This is another Audible Daily Deal that I picked up. I liked this story well enough to move on to book two to be sorely disappointed.

For a full review and yummy pic, see my blog post at:
COMING SOON 7/31/15

Audio Review
Thérèse Plummer did a good j/>Audio/>/>Book/>/>/>Page/>/>/>/>/>/>
Dagny
Sep 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harris-charlaine
The action started immediately, but it took me a while to get into the story. This happens to me frequently with the first book of a series. I read mystery series more for the characters than the actual plot, so I seem to spend the first book getting to know the characters. Once that was out of the way, I became more and more interested in the plot. When it took a turn I didn't see coming, it was a breathless read to the end.
Kate
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read this after hearing the Aurora Teagarden books were being made into a series of Hallmark made for TV movies. I figured the series must be fun if Hallmark was basing a whole set of movies on them, and I was right! This book was cozy, funny and well written. I liked the main character, who is a 28 year old librarian who belongs to a "real murder" club. When members of the club start dying in ways that are reminiscent of famous murders, she is thrust into the middle of the mystery. ...more
Daiva
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
To describe this in one sentence, I would say: Fast paced story with a smidge of romance.

Gotta love how Aurora didn't lose her night sleep and didn't even try to choose between two guys. Those two were just there for support. You know - a kiss here & there, helping out with exploring while investigating a crime, good for conversation while exchanging theories of the murders and motives.

Since it was fast paced read (for only one evening for sure,) it felt more like a novella to m
Katie Bock
Dec 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: murder-mystery loving Grandmas
Shelves: fun-meaty-reads
Like many readers, I love reading every book by Charlaine Harris. If I thought it would make her writing more prolific, I would donate $10 out of each paycheck to Ms. Harris..

That said, the Aurora Teagarden series is not the one I'd recommend to first-time readers. In it, I miss the darkness of the Lily Bard novels and the manic fun (and sex scenes!) of the ridiculously famous Sookie Stackhouse novels. However, it is nice to find a Harris novel I could recommend to Grandma - if Grand
Jim
Similar to Harris' other books, but without any paranormal elements. The heroine, Aurora, is pretty upbeat & interesting. She's 28, unmarried & has an odd hobby - she's a member of a club that discusses old murders. When club members start dying, she recognizes they're reenactments of old crimes & tells the police so. They don't believe her, so she is forced into figuring out who the killer is herself, but she doesn't jump into it with both feet. Very believable the way she stumbles ...more
Angela Miller
This is my second book series by Charlaine Harris and first book series that wasn't a YA series or paranormal but a first regular mystery series. I did enjoyed it though along with the twist and turns of the story. I picked this book up when I found out that there was a Hallmark movie about it and thought I would read the book series.
A Wondrous Bookshelf
I absolutely love Charlaine Harris and The Sookie Stackhouse Novels, but I must confess I hadn't read any of her other series. So when I came across this first book in The Aurora Teagarden Mysteries, I knew I had to give it a try.

Aurora Teagarden is a twenty-eight-year-old librarian who belongs to a mystery club named Real Murders, which meets monthly to discuss famous real-life murder cases. On the night that Aurora 'Roe' was supposed to present the Wallace murders, she discovers th
Tracy
Entertaining. Not brilliant but a good way to spend a few hours on a summer evening. I was surprised by the murderer and that is a good thing in a mystery novel.
Sophia
A small town Real Murders club in Georgia gets a shake-up when suddenly their murder club is seeing someone is staging contemporary murders to mimic the more grisly and infamous murders of the past. Aurora Teagarden leads a quiet, though slightly lonely life as a librarian in her town. She is comfortable in the knowledge that she has a routine and knows her fellow townspeople well until the night she discovers a fellow murder club member's body killed in a horrific manner and the scene and situa ...more
Juli
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aurora "Roe'' Teagarden is a librarian in Lawrenceton, Georgia. She's also a true crime enthusiast and member of a crime buff club called Real Murders. The group meets once a month at the VFW hall to discuss a famous murder case. This month it's Roe's turn. She is scheduled to talk to the group about the Julia Wallace murder in 1931. But before she can give her presentation, one of their members is found dead on the floor of the VFW kitchen, posed just like Julia Wallace was when she was murdere ...more
Jensownzoo
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries, 2009-reads
I started this earlier this week but just finished it today. Already a bad sign. I thought when I picked this up that it was a mystery novel with a librarian protagonist which was written by someone who's other work I rather enjoyed. Apparently, that was not enough to avoid a bad egg.

This book was sparely written, in descriptions of the setting as well as development of the characters. One or the other I could have forgiven if blown away by the remainder, but not both. It seemed like a book tha
Nikinnia Smith
I expected this book to be so much better than it was. I think I should've given it 2.5 stars. It was just ok. Aurora is no Lily Bard. She is a member of a club that reviews real murders(hence the title). Someone in their town is going around and committing murders that they have reviewed. The killer kills a member of the club, while implicating other members of the club by using something that belonged to the member as a murder weapon.
I had my suspicions about one of the members, but turns out
Monica **can't read fast enough**
Good start to the series. Review to come.
Margaret
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cute-crime
I picked this up at an opportunity shop. I'm glad I did, it's a fabulous read.

Aurora "Roe" Teagarden, librarian and amateur sleuth solves her first mystery. A series of murders based on historical killings.

A fun exciting read. Am now hunting down the rest of the series.
C.
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading of vampires makes me ill, even if I had had any interest. I was glad to find two series without them that would permit me to try Charlaine: one with ghosts and these; standard adult mysteries. Don't mistake “Real Murders” as “cozy”! The crimes are deranged and kidnapping a boy, however briefly, is upsetting. This 1990 novel evokes modernity, except needing to find telephones. I love the times before gadgets devoured people's attention.

In December, I had a rare impulse to watch satellite television“Real
Pamela
Cheryl Landmark
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

I'm an avid "Murder, She Wrote" and Agatha Christie fan and love those types of cozy mysteries involving amateur sleuths in small towns. The cast of characters and the mysteries are usually pretty diverse and interesting. This series by Ms. Harris does fall into that category, but wasn't quite as appealing to me as I would have liked.

Aurora "Roe" Teagarden was okay as a main character, albeit a little bit boring and staid for a 28-year old, but she
True Crime: FICTION/ Real Murders 16 17 Jun 14, 2019 06:54PM
Play Book Tag: Real Murders by Charlaine Harris 3 stars 2 16 Aug 24, 2017 08:30PM
Play Book Tag: Real Murders / Charlaine Harris. 3 stars 4 15 Jun 12, 2017 06:50PM
Saucy Wenches Boo...: Real Murders by Charlaine Harris 7 10 Jun 01, 2017 09:55PM
Play Book Tag: Real Murders - Charlaine Harris - 4 stars 2 16 May 26, 2016 09:49AM
Do you like the movie series? 2 21 Apr 05, 2016 06:15PM

• Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2)
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1)
  • Blueberry Muffin Murder (Hannah Swensen, #3)
  • Lemon Meringue Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #4)
  • Chocolate Cream Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen #24)
  • Peach Cobbler Murder (Hannah Swensen, #7)
  • Fudge Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #5)
  • Cherry Cheesecake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #8)
  • Plum Pudding Murder (Hannah Swensen, #12)
  • Sugar Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #6)
  • Cream Puff Murder (Hannah Swensen, #11)
  • On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1)
  • Key Lime Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9)
  • Garage Sale Diamonds (Garage Sale Mysteries, #2)
  • Crime and Poetry (Magical Bookshop, #1)
  • Homicide in Hardcover (Bibliophile Mystery, #1)
  • Books Can Be Deceiving (Library Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Wedding Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #19)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writi

Aurora Teagarden (10 books)
  • A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
  • Three Bedrooms, One Corpse  (Aurora Teagarden, #3)
  • The Julius House (Aurora Teagarden, #4)
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
  • A Fool and His Honey (Aurora Teagarden, #6)
  • Last Scene Alive (Aurora Teagarden, #7)
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • All the Little Liars (Aurora Teagarden, #9)
  • Sleep Like a Baby (Aurora Teagarden, #10)
“I gripped the stapler even harder and felt like a fool planning to battle a crazy man with a stapler that even, I suddenly remembered, contained no staples. Well, strike that line of defense.” 13 likes
“I settled opposite him in my favorite chair, low enough that my feet can touch the floor, wide enough to curl up inside, with a little table beside it just big enough to hold a book and a coffee cup.” 4 likes