What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Wallflower Main Character, Struggles of Being Shy, Introvert

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by mj (new)

mj (valmj) I'm looking for a book about a wallflower. And no, I don't want The Perks Of Being A Wallflower. The thing is, I would like a book with nothing sexual and little to no language. I'm just hoping for a book with a main character that I can really relate to. Someone who's shy, quiet, maybe a little nerdy. I'd like something along the same idea of The Perks Of Being A Wallflower, where the shy character makes friends anyway. I don't want the kind of story where the shy person stops being shy and then has friends. I want something where they are accepted the way they the are. I mostly read fantasy, contemporary, and YA, so I'd like something like one of those if possible. I hope this isn't hoping for too much!

message 2: by mj (new)

mj (valmj) bump

message 3: by Emily (last edited Apr 10, 2016 11:48AM) (new)

Emily  (dustsmokeandglitter) Contemporary YA is my life. Most of mine are kinda sad though. For now I'm thinking of Hold Still These Gentle Wounds Fall for Anything 100 Sideways Miles Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda

message 4: by Eliene (new)

Eliene | 38 comments Lirael by Garth Nix is a YA fantasy that is the second book in the Abhorsen series. It's main character is an introvert that is shy. Her personality is a key point in the novel. I hope it's what you're looking for

message 5: by mj (new)

mj (valmj) Emily wrote: "Contemporary YA is my life. Most of mine are kinda sad though. For now I'm thinking of Hold Still These Gentle Wounds Fall for Anything 100 Sidew..."</i>

Thank you for all the recommendations! I think I might check out [book:100 Sideways Miles
. That one really caught my attention!

Eliene wrote: "Lirael by Garth Nix is a YA fantasy that is the second book in the Abhorsen series. It's main character is an introvert that is shy. Her personality is a key point in the novel. I hope it's what yo..."

That looks quite interesting! I might try that one but I think I'll start with the first book. Thanks!

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Well, she's not really contemporary or YA, but you might like Barbara Pym's novels, especially Excellent Women.

message 7: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 591 comments Oh, yes, loved that book -- and A.N. Wilson's introduction to one of the editions was perfectly lovely in itself. Second Lisa's suggestion.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38140 comments Mod
Washington Square has a pretty wallflowery protagonist. It's a classic and Henry James, but actually it's not that long (under 200 pages) or dense. I'm only halfway through so maybe at the end she busts out of her shell and becomes a stripper...we'll see.

message 9: by mj (new)

mj (valmj) Lobstergirl wrote: "Washington Square has a pretty wallflowery protagonist. It's a classic and Henry James, but actually it's not that long (under 200 pages) or dense. I'm only halfway through so maybe a..."

Lisa wrote: "Well, she's not really contemporary or YA, but you might like Barbara Pym's novels, especially Excellent Women."

Thank you!

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38140 comments Mod
Alberta and Jacob is a Norwegian classic, probably the most introverted protagonist I have come across. It's coming of age but not YA. The protagonist is maybe 16-19 and it covers maybe a year of her life. There is a tiny bit of romance, a very tiny bit.

message 12: by Rachie2929 (new)

Rachie2929 | 29 comments Fangirl, perhaps?
Unbreak My Heart
Gorgeous
I'm not entirely sure about those anymore, since it's been a while since I read them, and my long-term memory and details don't generally play nice.
Also, maybe take a look at this topic, I'm not sure if it's exactly what you want https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 13: by Luxshi (last edited Jan 20, 2018 06:18AM) (new)

Luxshi | 3 comments Introductions by C.L.Stone is a good book. The main character, heroine is shy. This is the first book of an ongoing series. It is an excellent book. The series evolves to a polygamy relationship, but it is a young adult book series.
@https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

The Reading Raccoon (readingraccoon) | 145 comments Have you read Turtles All The Way Down by John Green? Main character has anxiety and issues which affects her social life.

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 16: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)