The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2016 > 25.6 - Robin ♥'s Task: Melts in Your Mouth, Not in Your Hands

Comments Showing 1-50 of 111 (111 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 06, 2016 07:16AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17878 comments Mod
25.6- Robin ♥'s Task: Melts in Your Mouth, Not in Your Hands

One of the world's most favorite candy is celebrating 75 years!!! M&M's originated in 1941 and is still going strong. Over the years we have seen a wide variety of M&Ms from cherry cordial, peanut butter, pretzel, mint, crispy and the faithful originals of peanut and plain. Let's help the M&M guys celebrate a wonderful 75 years.

This is a cute video I found on their website: Celebrate

***All books must be fiction.
***Sequential Art, Comics, Comic Book, or Manga MAY be used provided the general SRC guidelines are met for these books.

Is your favorite Plain or Peanut?
Read TWO books
If you are Plain: choose two different options from Plan A.
If you are Peanut: choose two different options from Plan B.

Required: When posting state which Plan you are and what options for that plan you selected

Plan A Plain

Option A-1:Who is your favorite M&M character? Red,Blue, or Ms.Brown.
Choose your color and read a book from the first 5 pages of that color list.

Red
Blue
Brown
Reminder: Non-fiction books may appear on the lists but WILL NOT work for this task.
Required: State which list and the page your book can be found on when you post

Option A-2: Wow!!! 75 years and still a favorite candy.
**Read a book by a single author (NO HYPHENATED NAMES) with 7 letters in the first OR last name.

Option A-3: On the M&M website you can meet the characters. Of the males, Red and Yellow are probably the most memorable.
**Read a book with a male on the cover. You must be able to see at least from the head to the waist or the full body. Obvious facial or body features must be seen to determine it is a male. No silhouettes,shadows etc.
Required: Must include cover when posting
Trust (Bannon Brothers, #1) by Janet Dailey Zone of Fire by Lindsay McKenna

Plan B Peanut
Option B-1 Who is your favorite M&M character? Yellow, Green or Orange.
Choose your color and read a book from the first 5 pages of that color list.

Yellow
Green
Orange
Reminder:Non-fiction books may appear on the lists but WILL NOT work for this task.
Required: State which list and the page your book can be found on when you post

Option B-2: Wow!!! 75 years and still a favorite candy.
**Read a book by a single author (NO HYPHENATED NAMES) with 5 letters in the first OR last name.

Option B-3:On the M&M website you can meet the characters.There are only two females,Ms Brown and Green.
**Read a book with a female on the cover. You must be able to see at least from the head to the waist or the full body. Obvious facial or body features must be seen to determine it is a female. No silhouettes,shadows etc.
Required: Must include cover when posting
The Fiddler (Home to Hickory Hollow #1) by Beverly Lewis Sanctuary by Beverly Lewis Hopeful (Return to Sugarcreek #1) by Shelley Shepard Gray
Optional Enjoy a bag of M&Ms while reading your books for this task :)

message 2: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Mar 21, 2016 10:42AM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Approved for A-3

A Confusion of Princes by Garth Nix A Soldier's Valentine by Jenna Mindel Leopard's Prey (Leopard People, #6) by Christine Feehan Enraptured (Eternal Guardians, #4) by Elisabeth Naughton

Approved for B-3

Pretending to Dance by Diane Chamberlain A Lady in the Smoke A Victorian Mystery by Karen Odden The Price of Salt OR Carol by Patricia Highsmith The Danish Girl by David Ebershoff Chobits, Vol. 1 by CLAMP A Soldier's Valentine by Jenna Mindel

message 3: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited May 03, 2016 10:44PM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Not Approved for A-3
Non-fiction--
Up Till Now by William Shatner I'd Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I Ever Had My Year as a Rookie Teacher at Northeast High by Tony Danza

Not head to waist or full body--
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) by Richelle Mead

Not Approved for B-3

Can't See Head to Waist--
The Moon in the Palace (Empress of Bright Moon #1) by Weina Dai Randel The Handsome Man's Deluxe Café (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #15) by Alexander McCall Smith

Face hidden/or No obvious facial or body features--
The Silent Twin by Caroline Mitchell Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton The Ringmaster's Wife by Kristy Cambron

Non-fiction
Rosemary The Hidden Kennedy Daughter by Kate Clifford Larson

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Just in case.

message 5: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17878 comments Mod
This help thread is open!

message 6: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Checking cover for acceptability - worried about the face wrap.

A Confusion of Princes by Garth Nix

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Maya wrote: "Checking cover for acceptability - worried about the face wrap.

A Confusion of Princes by Garth Nix"

Hi Maya!! That would work for A-3, I can see head to waist and tell it is a male.

Happy reading :)

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 967 comments Very clever task!

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Chris wrote: "Very clever task!"

Thanks!!! I didn't realize M&Ms had been around that long until I was at work and noticed that the packaging had changed on the small bags of M&Ms :)

message 10: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments We used M&M's for math :)

message 11: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 422 comments I'd Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I Ever Had My Year as a Rookie Teacher at Northeast High by Tony Danza is this enough man for option A-3? lol

message 12: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Mar 08, 2016 09:47PM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Valerie wrote: "I'd Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I Ever Had My Year as a Rookie Teacher at Northeast High by Tony Danza is this enough man for option A-3? lol"

Yep, enjoy :)

Edited to Add: I just realized this one won't work due to the fact it is non-fiction :( Sorry. It is enough man enough but being non-fiction disqualifies it.

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "We used M&M's for math :)"

Did you get to eat them when Math was over lol

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1276 comments Is this okay for female on cover:

Pretending to Dance by Diane Chamberlain

message 15: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Would any of these books work for Option B3, female on cover?

The Moon in the Palace (Empress of Bright Moon #1) by Weina Dai Randel

A Lady in the Smoke A Victorian Mystery by Karen Odden

The Silent Twin by Caroline Mitchell

Thanks!

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Amy wrote: "Is this okay for female on cover:

Pretending to Dance by Diane Chamberlain"

Yes, I can see her head to waist and obvious body features that it is a female.

message 17: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Mar 03, 2016 08:37PM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Pia wrote: "Would any of these books work for Option B3, female on cover?

The Moon in the Palace (Empress of Bright Moon #1) by Weina Dai Randel

A Lady in the Smoke A Victorian Mystery by Karen Odden

My computer/GR is acting up and I am trying to get this right LOL GR keeps putting everything in italics with the bookcover of The Silent Twin showing instead of the other covers.

The first one The Moon in the Palace wouldn't work because the lady must be visible from head to waist.

The second book A Lady in the Smoke: A Victorian Mystery will work :)

The last one The Silent Twin is dark and I can't see the face or any obvious facial/body features. All i can see is long hair and a dress. Sorry that one would be no.

message 18: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Will use the second one then, Thanks!

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Pia wrote: "Will use the second one then, Thanks!"

You are more than welcome!!! Enjoy :) That book looks interesting by the way, will probably be adding that to my TBR :)

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ebpnd17) | 719 comments Hi! This may seem like an odd/nit-picky question, but in both A2 and B2 you say 7 letters/5 letters in first OR last name - I was wondering if I prefer peanut m&ms and chose to do that option, could I read a book by someone who has five letters in their first AND last name? For example, Brent Weeks

Thanks!

message 21: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Mar 03, 2016 09:59PM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Hi! This may seem like an odd/nit-picky question, but in both A2 and B2 you say 7 letters/5 letters in first OR last name - I was wondering if I prefer peanut m&ms and chose to do that option, coul..."

Yes, only ONE of the names (first or last) is required to have 7 or 5 letters. If both names have 7 or 5 letters that is entirely ok.

message 22: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2545 comments Just to clarify, for the two option 3s - male or female on the cover - does that mean you can only have a male/female on the cover, or is it just that you have to have at least one of the respective folks?

message 23: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Hi, I just wanted to check if this was enough for B-3. I can see her top half, and her legs under the table, but, I think her waist is kind of hidden by the table, so, just wanted to verify.

The Price of Salt OR Carol by Patricia Highsmith

message 24: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 399 comments In Options A1 and B1, do we have to read the actual edition on the colour lists, or is it ok if the book appears on the list but we read another edition?

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Trish wrote: "Just to clarify, for the two option 3s - male or female on the cover - does that mean you can only have a male/female on the cover, or is it just that you have to have at least one of the respectiv..."

For the Option 3's- You have to have at least ONE of the respective people.

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Terri FL wrote: "Hi, I just wanted to check if this was enough for B-3. I can see her top half, and her legs under the table, but, I think her waist is kind of hidden by the table, so, just wanted to verify.

[book..."

I will accept that.....I can see enough of her to tell it is a female :)
Enjoy and happy reading!

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Lagullande wrote: "In Options A1 and B1, do we have to read the actual edition on the colour lists, or is it ok if the book appears on the list but we read another edition?"

I think it is ok to read another edition as long as it is the EXACT same book. Let me check with the mods to make sure that is correct according to the SRC rules and get back with you on that.

message 28: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2545 comments ♥Robin ♥ wrote: "For the Option 3's- You have to have at least ONE of the respective people. "

thanks

message 29: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Mar 04, 2016 10:05AM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Lagullande wrote: "In Options A1 and B1, do we have to read the actual edition on the colour lists, or is it ok if the book appears on the list but we read another edition?"

And here is the answer to your question :)

No. When you have to read a book from a list, or for a Group Reads, you can read any format (audiobook, ebook, paperback, hardback) and any edition you choose. If the entry on a list is a box set, you cannot substitute an individual book from the set, and if the book on the list is in a series, you cannot substitute a different book in the series.

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Trish wrote: "♥Robin ♥ wrote: "For the Option 3's- You have to have at least ONE of the respective people. "

thanks"

You are more than welcome!!

message 31: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 399 comments ♥Robin ♥ wrote: "Lagullande wrote: "In Options A1 and B1, do we have to read the actual edition on the colour lists, or is it ok if the book appears on the list but we read another edition?"

And here is the answer..."

Thanks for checking up on this. That's great.

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Lagullande wrote: "♥Robin ♥ wrote: "Lagullande wrote: "In Options A1 and B1, do we have to read the actual edition on the colour lists, or is it ok if the book appears on the list but we read another edition?"

And h..."

You're welcome!!! Enjoy and Happy Reading :

message 33: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) | 493 comments This is for 2 books?

message 34: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela3265) | 981 comments Will this work for A3?

A Soldier's Valentine by Jenna Mindel

Thanks!

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Blueberry wrote: "This is for 2 books?"

Yes you have to read two books for Plan A or two books for Plan B.

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Pamela wrote: "Will this work for A3?

A Soldier's Valentine by Jenna Mindel

Thanks!"

Yes Ma'am that will work for A-3 :) Enjoy and Happy Reading!!!!

message 37: by Susan (new)

Susan Wojtas | 245 comments Hi, will this work for B3?

Chobits, Vol. 1 (Chobits, #1) by CLAMP

Thank you!

message 38: by Karen D (new)

Karen D | 494 comments Is this a 1 book task or 2? I don't see anywhere specifying that it's 2 books, but aren't 25 point tasks usually for 2 books?

message 39: by Emily (new)

Emily | 684 comments Karen wrote: "Is this a 1 book task or 2? I don't see anywhere specifying that it's 2 books, but aren't 25 point tasks usually for 2 books?"

"Is your favorite Plain or Peanut?
Read TWO books
If you are Peanut: choose two different options from Plan B. "

Two book task :)

message 40: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Mar 06, 2016 08:53PM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Karen wrote: "Is this a 1 book task or 2? I don't see anywhere specifying that it's 2 books, but aren't 25 point tasks usually for 2 books?"

It is a two book task....it does state in the beginning of the task under the link to the video to:

***All books must be fiction.
***Sequential Art, Comics, Comic Book, or Manga MAY be used provided the general SRC guidelines are met for these books.

Is your favorite Plain or Peanut?
Read TWO books
If you are Peanut: choose two different options from Plan B

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Boston Kate wrote: "Karen wrote: "Is this a 1 book task or 2? I don't see anywhere specifying that it's 2 books, but aren't 25 point tasks usually for 2 books?"

"Is your favorite Plain or Peanut?
Read TWO books
If yo..."

Thanks Kate!!!!

message 42: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Hi there. Will this work for female on the cover? The Danish Girl by David Ebershoff

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Cindy wrote: "Hi there. Will this work for female on the cover? The Danish Girl by David Ebershoff"

Yes, that will work for female on cover :) Enjoy your reading!!!

message 44: by Susan (new)

Susan Wojtas | 245 comments Hi, I asked for approval for a cover the other day, and I think it was missed. It's message 37 of this thread. I see some answers to messages after it so it was probably just missed. Can you check, please? Thanks!

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Susan wrote: "Hi, I asked for approval for a cover the other day, and I think it was missed. It's message 37 of this thread. I see some answers to messages after it so it was probably just missed. Can you check,..."

I am so sorry Susan. I did miss it. Yes that cover will work for Option B3. Once again, I apologize as I didn't see it :) Enjoy your books!!

message 46: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1176 comments Hi Robin,

Is there enough of him that is visible to qualify?

Up Till Now by William Shatner

Thanks.

message 47: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Mar 08, 2016 08:57PM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Donna wrote: "Hi Robin,

Is there enough of him that is visible to qualify?

Up Till Now by William Shatner

Thanks."

Yes Ma'am.....but this is a fiction only task so it won't work. Sorry

message 48: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1176 comments Oh...thanks for reminding me. I would have read it, posted it, and then I would have found out on the board of shame ;-)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Donna wrote: "Oh...thanks for reminding me. I would have read it, posted it, and then I would have found out on the board of shame ;-)"

I almost forgot myself and it is my task LOL... You are more than welcome :)

I have been going through the tasks and there are a few that you could probably work that one in :)

message 50: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1176 comments Okay Robin, I think this one looks better and it's fiction. I just need an okay from you.

Leopard's Prey (Leopard People, #6) by Christine Feehan

« previous 1 3