Rated YA-MA discussion

Fantasy > Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo (Group Read March 2016)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

message 2: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments The group read for March is now open.

If you need to talk about any major plot points (minor story details don't need to be tagged), please use this code to put your text inside of a spoiler tag and make a note of whereabouts in the book you're talking about so people know if they've read far enough to be able to click on the tag :

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 560 comments AAaaahhhh! I hadn't seen the cover for book two!

I loved Six of Crows. I thought Kaz was such an interesting character! I'd be interested to know if anyone is reading this without having read the Grisha series first. I've only read the first book in the Grisha but it it introduced me to the world. I would imagine it would be a lot to take in if you aren't already familiar with the Grisha mythology?

message 4: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments I love Kaz so much.

message 5: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Rachel wrote: "AAaaahhhh! I hadn't seen the cover for book two!

I loved Six of Crows. I thought Kaz was such an interesting character! I'd be interested to know if anyone is reading this without having read the..."

I was debating it. I've read part of Grisha book 1 but never finished it (buddy read that went off course, so I had to put the book down). Do you think it will be a challenge to start here?

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 560 comments I think as long as you understand what a Grisha is and can do, you should be alright. I'm sure there are Easter eggs that you miss out on if you haven't read the other series. But I only read book one a LONG time ago and I still enjoyed Six Crows

message 7: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments It's different characters, and the story is set in other countries of that same world. Many Grisha in this series have become displaced as a result of events in the other trilogy. Elsewise, totally separate. I don't think it'd be difficult to grasp the concept of Grisha without having read the first books. They're just magic users.

message 8: by Melanie, the 8th (new)

Melanie | 1050 comments I didn't even know this book was set in a pre-existing world until I read through these posts. It took me a while to catch on the the magic system, but not in a way that bothered me. It just sort of added to the mystery.

...I suppose now a have another series to add to my very long TBR.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 560 comments Melanie wrote: "I didn't even know this book was set in a pre-existing world until I read through these posts. It took me a while to catch on the the magic system, but not in a way that bothered me. It just sort o..."

This was what I was curious about. I'm glad to hear that the world-building was still solid/complete

message 10: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 178 comments I'd agree. I've read the first two in the Grisha series (ages ago), but this really stood on its own. In fact, I actually liked it a lot more than that series. The stakes were so high and I loved every close call.

message 11: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (brandireynolds) | 247 comments So I'm 30-ish pages into it and I'm definitely enjoying the pace-getting you right into the middle of the world and explaining as it goes...

message 12: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (brandireynolds) | 247 comments Okay I'm shipping Kaz and Inej. HARD.

message 13: by Jenny, puppets' bane (last edited Mar 10, 2016 02:05PM) (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments Brandi wrote: "Okay I'm shipping Kaz and Inej. HARD."

Yessssssss

message 14: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (brandireynolds) | 247 comments Sometimes when I read a book that's really hyped I end up not really getting what the big deal is. But I'm only 147 pages into this book and I GET WHAT THE BIG DEAL IS. Even without knowing how the story is going to play out, the pacing, the characters, the world are all on point and I am LOVING this book.

message 15: by Melanie, the 8th (new)

Melanie | 1050 comments Brandi wrote: "Sometimes when I read a book that's really hyped I end up not really getting what the big deal is. But I'm only 147 pages into this book and I GET WHAT THE BIG DEAL IS. Even without knowing how the..."

I agree with you completely! Their are some flaws I COULD point out in some of the characters, but the pacing of this book is so immaculate and the imperfections of every "hero" is what gives the story it's unpredictable edge. It really is a must read.

message 16: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (brandireynolds) | 247 comments Couple of things:

1. Are Nina and Matthias' stories mentioned in the original trilogy?
2. Kas' story OMG. I want to cry.

message 17: by Melanie, the 8th (last edited Mar 12, 2016 01:47PM) (new)

Melanie | 1050 comments Not sure Ka's back story justifies his overall character flaw....he really is an #*@%

Brilliant, but still an #*@%.

message 18: by Jenny, puppets' bane (last edited Mar 12, 2016 04:03PM) (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments I don't think any of these characters are mentioned at all in the other trilogy. Unless they're like super periphery and I just didn't catch it. If they were, it'd be something tiny and unimportant. Like someone mentioning someone's friend so-and-so.

You'll find out more about Nina and Matthias in this book.

message 19: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (brandireynolds) | 247 comments Jenny wrote: "I don't think any of these characters are mentioned at all in the other trilogy. Unless they're like super periphery and I just didn't catch it. If they were, it'd be something tiny and unimportant..."

Well I haven't I read the entire thing yet but they all have tough pasts and are now killers/thieves so you could say that about all of them-is what he did that much worse?

message 20: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (brandireynolds) | 247 comments Also can we all just have a moment of appreciation for the sass of Jesper?

message 21: by Brandi (last edited Mar 15, 2016 07:56AM) (new)

Brandi (brandireynolds) | 247 comments It seems at this point I'm talking to myself but I don't even care. Just finished. I'M IN LOVE. Wow.

A few things:
1. I've seen this likened to Oceans 11 multiple times and I think that's spot on. The twists, the turns, the excitement of the story was very reminiscent of that in my opinion. HOWEVER, as exciting as the story was, I think the characters and their individual journeys are what make this book.

2. I don't have a favourite character. I think the author expertly crafted each one-they are unique but strong, very flawed and human but I am still rooting for each one.

3. Inej and Nina are not damsels in distress. They are kickass strong women and I greatly appreciate that. (view spoiler)

I keep telling myself that I'm going to wait until series complete before I start reading them AND THIS BOOK IS WHY. Now I don't know what to do with my life.

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) | 232 comments Brandi wrote: "Sometimes when I read a book that's really hyped I end up not really getting what the big deal is. But I'm only 147 pages into this book and I GET WHAT THE BIG DEAL IS. Even without knowing how the..."

I totally agree! I got into the Shadow and Bone trilogy just to see what it was about, read all three and was like, "Well that was good but not OMG AAAAAAAHHH!" So I picked up SoC and it was . . . holy shit it blows Shadow and Bone out of the water. I can't wait for Crooked Kingdom to come out. Honestly I haven't been this excited over a YA fantasy in a while. Okay there are a couple I'm super excited about, but on par with Crooked Kingdom. Fingers crossed there's an ARC!

message 23: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (brandireynolds) | 247 comments Okay so I was actually considering Shadow and Bone because of how strong SoC was. So what was it about the first trilogy that wasn't as strong? The writing? The characters?

message 24: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1231 comments I just got the book today so I will join in the conversation soon. I read Shadow and Bone awhile ago and it was ok but never gave me the drive to continue the series. I certainly didn't feel like it was a waste of time or anything though. I am hoping this book wows me like it has so many.

message 25: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments I'd agree that this started way stronger than the Grisha trilogy did. I don't know if that can maybe be chalked up to Leigh Bardugo being a more experienced writer this time around or what. I liked her first trilogy, enjoyed reading them. The Darkling is worth reading them for, so if you're curious/interested I'd say give them a try. But I loved this one to a degree that I didn't the others. I agree about all of these characters being freaking amazing.

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) | 232 comments Brandi wrote: "Okay so I was actually considering Shadow and Bone because of how strong SoC was. So what was it about the first trilogy that wasn't as strong? The writing? The characters?"

Aside from the semi-Russian setting and the different types of magic, the Grisha trilogy is pretty much like a lot of the YA fantasy that's out there (sorry folks). Love triangle (kinda quadrangle in this case), awkward heroine who discovers a power and is the key to saving/destroying the world, love-to-hate villain, etc. I really did enjoy the trilogy but SoC was much more complex and a lot better. I'd say that if you enjoyed SoC read Shadow and Bone.

message 27: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1231 comments I am only 2 chapters in and it has already got me intrigued. Glad we chose this one for our group read.

message 28: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (brandireynolds) | 247 comments laurel [suspected bibliophile] wrote: "Brandi wrote: "Okay so I was actually considering Shadow and Bone because of how strong SoC was. So what was it about the first trilogy that wasn't as strong? The writing? The characters?"

Aside f..."

Fair enough-and sometimes there's nothing wrong with a little predictability. Thanks for the feedback!

message 29: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments The Audible edition of this book is on sale today for $2.95 for audiobook people who may want to join in on this month's read: http://amzn.to/1UgmudG

message 30: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (brandireynolds) | 247 comments Favorite moments in the book for those that have finished it?

Mine are (view spoiler)

message 31: by Melanie, the 8th (last edited Mar 19, 2016 03:06PM) (new)

Melanie | 1050 comments My favorite quotes from the book:
Kaz(view spoiler)

Inej (view spoiler)

Wylan (view spoiler)

Jesper(view spoiler)

Matthias (view spoiler)

My favorite moments:
1. (view spoiler)

2. (view spoiler)

*I've been busy this week. Sorry it took so long to finally get my thoughts down.

message 32: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (brandireynolds) | 247 comments Melanie-so many good ones! I also particularly liked these that you listed: (view spoiler)

message 33: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (brandireynolds) | 247 comments Also, anyone have any conspiracy theories on what will happen in the next installment?

message 34: by Melanie, the 8th (new)

Melanie | 1050 comments It's not quite conspiratorial but I suspect/ hope/ assume (view spoiler)

I also assume that but the end of the trilogy (view spoiler)

message 35: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (brandireynolds) | 247 comments Melanie wrote: "It's not quite conspiratorial but I suspect/ hope/ assume [spoilers removed]

I also assume that but the end of the trilogy [spoilers removed]"

I'm hoping the same for both. I do hope (view spoiler)

message 36: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) I haven't been able to make much of a dent in this book yet. I've enjoyed what I have read. Right now I am dealing with major allergies and between sinus headaches and constant naps I haven't been able to read more than a few pages in a sitting. Hoping to fix that today. All of the discussion seems really promising.

message 37: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1231 comments I am at about 60% and really enjoy this book, In the beginning it reminded me of Mistborn The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson not sure why but that is not a bad thing. I really like the depth of characters.

message 38: by Anna (new)

Anna | 199 comments I can totally suspend belief for all the "magic" but I'm having a hard time believing they have waffles. There is so much fantasy that don't even have guns that I have apparently generalized all fantasy without the modern elections and cars as taking place in medieval times.

message 39: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (brandireynolds) | 247 comments I was actually just coming on here to talk about that because when I think fantasy, I tend to think high fantasy (castles and vaguely medieval type settings) and this world seems very modern in many ways with guns and waffles and more modern slang. It threw me off a little bit too though I guess f-bombs and breakfast pastries could have been around forever.

Does anyone know if this is meant to be fantasy in that it's a different world entirely or more like an alternate reality?

message 40: by Jenny, puppets' bane (last edited Mar 23, 2016 10:06PM) (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments It's set in a fictional world based on our world. Second world = high fantasy. Doesn't necessarily require a medieval lack of tech to be high fantasy. If they were carrying around assault rifles or something, then maybe it'd be odd, though still not out of the question. But revolvers or shotguns? Not really weird.

message 41: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1231 comments The tech does not bother me at all. The alternate world and the magic systems are what makes it high fantasy for me. The waffles certainly didn't bother me :) I mean who can be bothered by waffles?BTW they did have tanks and rapid fire weapons which seemed like machine guns to me. I am ignorant about weaponry though.

message 42: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Wasn't there some type of pastry in Poison Study that also got the same reaction?

message 43: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Brandi wrote: "It seems at this point I'm talking to myself but I don't even care. Just finished. I'M IN LOVE. Wow.

A few things:
1. I've seen this likened to Oceans 11 multiple times and I think that's spot on...."

Totally agree with all of your points on Inej and Nina. They will have to go on my best badass female characters list now.

message 44: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Brandi wrote: "Favorite moments in the book for those that have finished it?

Mine are [spoilers removed]"

My favorite part, or the part that really had me on my toes is (view spoiler)

message 45: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Stacia (the 2010 club) wrote: "Wasn't there some type of pastry in Poison Study that also got the same reaction?"

Apparently waffles have quite the long history and the first known waffle recipe was written down in the 14th century and waffles have been around probably since the 10th century. So they are definitely medieval. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffle

message 46: by Jenny, puppets' bane (last edited Mar 23, 2016 10:31PM) (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments Stacia (the 2010 club) wrote: "Wasn't there some type of pastry in Poison Study that also got the same reaction?"

I think so lol. Like one of the characters invented cinnamon rolls or something? I don't remember it's been so long.

I remember people complaining that rubber was mentioned in The Name of the Wind because rubber didn't exist in medieval times. And the author explained that his world is more like a renaissance setting than medieval.

Guns are pretty simple machines. And sometimes stuff like that is powered by magic or other weird stuff in worlds like these. It's whatever.

In Stormdancer, there are guns, but they're rare. Most people fight with swords. There are also skyships and fucking chainsaw katanas and other steampunkish tech. There's also magic that allows communication with animals. And there are mythical creatures and demons.

People will question stuff like that, or want to nit pick, because we're used to our own world and history and physics and rules. But really, how can you have anachronisms in a made up world? It's not the same as ours and therefore doesn't have the same rules as ours, which is sort of the point of high fantasy.

message 47: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1231 comments OK I finally finished this last night. Life has really got in the way of reading recently. Let me tell you what I hated about this book - I was reading on an e reader and didn't know I was on the last page until I was there. After getting to that last page I wanted more and I would have totally paid full price to go on with the series (and I am a cheap ass) but the NEXT ONE IS NOT OUT YET! This book was amazing and I am so glad that it was our group read this month. I can't wait to go on with the series.

message 48: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (brandireynolds) | 247 comments I wasn't complaining about anything-it just seemed a little weird to me in my limited knowledge of fantasy and was just curious.

message 49: by Melanie, the 8th (new)

Melanie | 1050 comments Diane wrote: "OK I finally finished this last night. Life has really got in the way of reading recently. Let me tell you what I hated about this book - I was reading on an e reader and didn't know I was on the l..."

Sometime it is frustrating finding time to read, but life is also frustrating without books. How wonderful when the time taken is worthwhile! I'm so glad you loved this book.

message 50: by Amy (new)

Amy | 237 comments I'm a very late comer to this conversation but after reading all these good comments I had to make time to read it (which is hard since I have two young children) I'm only 10% through and already addicted. I don't know if I'll finish in time so just wanted to add that in.

« previous 1