Koontzland - Dean Koontz discussion

Odd Hours (Odd Thomas, #4)
This topic is about Odd Hours
Odd Thomas Series > Odd Hours (Group Read - March 2016)

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 5993 comments Mod
Odd Hours is a March Group Read in addition to The Door to December. Some Koontzlanders are re-reading The Odd Thomas Series in 2016. Odd Thomas was featured as a Group Read in December, Forever Odd in January, Brother Odd in February.

Are you reading the Odd Thomas Series?

This is a new thread for 2016 Discussion of Odd Hours. You can find the old thread for this title in the Odd Thomas Folder.

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments I read Odd Hours on the tail of reading The Door to December which gave me an interesting perspective seeing one of his earlier books and one of his newer books.
This is not my favorite Odd book, but the character is delightful. For some reason, the opening didn't grab me like it usually does with the whole scene on the Pier and Odd trying to get away. It does serve to introduce some of the players though.
But Odd's wit is at its best in this book. His puzzlement over Annamaria and what she says and his smart mouthing the police chief were just wonderful. By this novel we really know that Odd "makes it up as he goes along"; one of the things I find endearing about him. I loved his comparing himself to Matt Damon in the Bourne movies. He is just such a simple fry cook but definitely a whole lot more.

Thank you Karen :-)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments Dustin, could you please check that my Odd books are showing up for the Odd Challenge? Thank you.

Karen B. wrote: "Dustin, could you please check that my Odd books are showing up for the Odd Challenge? Thank you."

Checked. Looks Good :-)

Christopher Jones | 47 comments Look forward to skimming some of my favorite parts from this one. =)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments Christopher, yes, please tell us about some of your favorite parts.

Christopher Jones | 47 comments My memory is bad enough, that I might need a full re-read. But toward the end of the book there is this funny exchange:

"I need those nukes. I need them. I need them right now."

Odd: "I don't want to be an enabler, sir. I'd rather get you into a twelve-step program to help you break this addiction."

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments Oh yeah. I remember Odd saying that. That's what I love about Odd's sense of humor.

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 454 comments Oddisms.....priceless

Tracy | 528 comments I finished Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2) by Dean Koontz and I think I'm going to skip Brother Odd (Odd Thomas, #3) by Dean Koontz to start this one. BO wasn't my favorite.

Thanks Tracy :-)

Heather Morris | 52 comments I do plan on reading this. But since I joined this group at the end of February, I'm a little behind. I'm trying to decide whether to start over at the beginning of the series or not..... Decisions, decisions.

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments you can always catch up.

Heather Morris | 52 comments I'm half way through the book and Odd delights me as always. Though I will say his worse case scenario imagination is getting more and more out there. LOL!

I am reading the last 50 pages. Things are getting interesting here. I like "The Hall of What Would Jesus Do?" I remember liking that the first time I read the book. I also remember liking & still do - the character of The Happy Monster and her cottage.

To me, it seems the silliness & goofiness have really been dialed up in Odd's conversations & interactions. Annamaria - personally her mysterious ways are rather annoying to me. I've had people get frustrated with me because I won't give them a definite answer - answering them with questions or vagueness - maybe this is how they feel.

Angelique | 34 comments This is my first time reading the Odd Thomas series and I am thoroughly enjoying him. I am a little confused as to what is the next book?

Heather Morris | 52 comments Odd Apocalypse is the next book in the series

Angelique | 34 comments Thanks!

Heather Morris | 52 comments You're welcome! Hope you continue to enjoy Odd! He's a pretty neat character :)

Angelique wrote: "This is my first time reading the Odd Thomas series and I am thoroughly enjoying him. I am a little confused as to what is the next book?"

Odd Hours is Book Four. Odd Apocalypse is Book Five. You would think it'd be that simple, but not in the Dean Koontz Universe.

There is actually a small book called Odd Interlude (originally published as 3 ebook novellas).
Odd Interlude has become Book 4.5 :-)
I highly recommend reading Odd Interlude. Odd Interlude is also our April Group Read.
Odd Interlude A Special Odd Thomas Adventure by Dean Koontz

Heather Morris | 52 comments I'm glad you mentioned that DC! I forgot about the 4.5 book!

Heather wrote: "I'm glad you mentioned that DC! I forgot about the 4.5 book!"

Looks like it's being categorized as book (4.1 - 4.3) on Goodreads.
I think 4.5 is a better way to categorize it :-)

It's a good adventure.

Heather Morris | 52 comments I finished Odd Hours a little over a week ago and forgot to come over here and discuss it.

I really enjoyed this book, and unlike most of the other Odd books I was on the verge of biting my nails a few times! Wowzer, (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

Annamaria is a very mysterious character, but her riddles often annoyed me. I have had people tell me I do this to them. Like Annamaria, I sometimes answer questions with another question or give a vague response.

Heather Morris | 52 comments I have a friend that does that, but it's usually in a way to make you think. It's usually what she does instead of giving advice, kind of like making you figure out your problem on your own. I think it's the 'all in good time' thing that drives me nuts about Annamaria. It's not an accident that she's evasive, she knows darn well she is! LOL!!

So about Annamaria : (view spoiler)

Heather Morris | 52 comments I'll keep your thoughts in mind as I continue to read! I'll get back to you on my thought process :)

Good Luck in your search for understanding :-)