Start by marking “Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2)” as Want to Read:
Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2)

Forever Odd

(Odd Thomas #2)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  73,046 ratings  ·  2,846 reviews
I see dead people. But then, by God, I do something about it.

Odd Thomas never asked for his special ability. He's just an ordinary guy trying to live a quiet life in the small desert town of Pico Mundo. Yet he feels an obligation to do right by his otherworldly confidants, and that's why he's won hearts on both sides of the divide between life and death. But when a childho
Published October 31st 2006 by Bantam Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Forever Odd, please sign up.
Ruth Macleod
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter There was no golden retriever in Forever Odd.
You're thinking of another book in the series, I think.…more
There was no golden retriever in Forever Odd.
You're thinking of another book in the series, I think.(less)

·  73,046 ratings  ·  2,846 reviews

Start your review of Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2)
Matthew
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have seen a lot of negative reviews for this book, and after reading it, I can see where people might feel that way. However, I thought it was very enjoyable. Sure it was weird and outlandish - with bizarre characters and haphazard dialogue, but I found it very entertaining.

The plot is basic good vs evil. The baddies are very spooky and cartoony. The leader is very focused and unreasonable in her goals - a one track mind of questionable motivation that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Odd ma
William Dalphin
Sep 05, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People I want to discourage from ever reading again
Carolyn
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, paranormal, thriller
As we discovered in Odd Thomas, Odd is able to see and speak to the ghosts of newly dead people and those who don't move on. Although they can't speak back they can guide and show him things. This makes life for Odd very difficult as the dead (including the ghost of Elvis) are all around him and he chooses to live in the small town of Pico Mundo in Southern California where life is quiet and few people know about his unusual gift. Odd recently lost the love of his life Stormy (Bromwen) Llewellyn ...more
Paul
Oct 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Odd continues to be possessed by a middle-aged man AKA Dean Koontz, which is unfortunate more for the reader because you end up having to reread a formulaic almost puritan nature of a 20 year old kid. This story could have been so much better.
Ok, all jokes aside. This story had its exciting moments, but continues to be the same character mentalities as in all Koontz stories. The ending was very exciting until Koontz decided to simply drop the ball completely and use a "black out" to explain the
Aj the Ravenous Reader
The title kind of suits this book because well, the main character's name is Odd, the story is also odd and even the genre is odd. You couldn't tell if it's horror or comedy. So, in short, Forever Odd is one odd book. Is it odd that I enjoyed reading this? :) ...more
Ian
Feb 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Ian by: Kevin
Shelves: suspense
While this Odd Thomas book was a good and entertaining read, I say so resignedly.

Everything is here to make this as solid a book as the first; interesting plot, great supporting characters, etc. Additionally Odd's wit in Forever Odd seemed a bit more refined than the first book, and I enjoyed it a bit more because of it.

What I found unfortunate was that Forever Odd seemed stitched on to the first book in what I felt was a forced way. I couldn't escape the feeling that Odd Thomas was intended to
Brittany
This one started quite slowly. I was kind of getting bored with most of it, until the "Kali" concept. I am a great lover of anything involving Kali and her crazy ways. Props to Koontz for tapping into this.

This book was good, and the end set up more of the series. In comparison to Odd Thomas, this was a far weaker addition to the series.

Definitely necesary to read to continue on with the story, but I am looking for more suspense and horror with Book 3!

3 stars for me
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my least favorite of this series and because of that I was remembering this as a much weaker book than it actually is. The way that I remember it the woman serving as the bad guy, the woman a character describes as "crazier than a syphilitic suicide bomber with mad-cow disease," is really too evil to be believable. My memory says that she is the focal point of the whole book. This is why I should never rate by memory. She is indeed the main bad guy but her actual on camera pages are rela ...more
Kathy Davie
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Second in the Odd Thomas lightweight horror series revolving around a man who sees ghosts. Based in a tiny desert town in California---Pico Mundo.

My Take
I think Koontz uses this series to relax. He uses Odd's character to write the stories in this series and he uses the opportunity to relay his own philosophies about life. It certainly does allow Koontz to wander down some pretty odd paths and relate unrelated trivia! I did like the word association game Odd plays with Danny! Whew… Seems a bit m
Deborah Joyner
Aug 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Shelves: fantasy
If you haven't read Odd Thomas, I certainly suggest that you do - this follow-up volume finds Odd in another strange situation. Because Odd can see dead people, he knows something bad is going on when the ghost of his friend Danny's step-dad shows up at the foot of his bed. Danny has been kidnapped - and a strange woman keeps calling Odd with cryptic comments. Following the kidnappers to an abandoned casino, Odd faces down a strange set of killers. It's better than I can describe - Koontz's pros ...more
Miranda Reads
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I adore Odd so so much - could he be any cuter?

Review to come

Audiobook Comments
Read by David Aaron Baker and he did a fab job with this one!

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Snapchat @miranda_reads
Mauoijenn
Love love love these Odd Thomas books... On to the next one!!
Emma
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
You have to admire Odd for his tenacity, perseverance and loyalty to his friends.
Jonathan
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Michael
Odd Thomas has never had things easy. Still reeling from the loss of the love of his life, Stormy, he will soon find himself thrust into something truly sinister. When one of Odd's best friends from his childhood goes missing there is universal concern. Danny suffers from a condition that makes his bones brittle and with the thought that his psychopath biological father has abducted him, it is vital that he is found soon. When Odd, with his unique powers for finding individuals, sets out he will ...more
Fred
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, re-read
Koontzland Group Read - August 2020

The Amazon Overdrive (audio) is read by “David Aaron Baker”. His “tone” brings easy/calm flow without “horror”. He’s makes listening great and the book smooth......
Odd Thomas, the short-order cook at a the breakfast cafe in Pico Mundo. Odd’s childhood friend Danny is kidnapped, his “step-father” is murdered. Odd finds Danny’s “birth” father, recent prison release is innocent?
Odd recalls Datura’s past (mentally, diseased person) in Panamint City, Californi
Amber
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: librarybooks
When Odd Thomas's friend is kidnapped by a crazy psycho woman, Odd must find and rescue him before he is killed. Will he succeed in his mission? Read on and find out for yourself.

This book is pretty good and sets the tone for the rest of this series. Definitely check this book out with the rest of the series at your local library and wherever books are sold.
Amber J
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler-free way. If you feel anything in my review is a spoiler and is not already hidden in spoiler brackets please let me know. Thank you.

So for this book, I had started out listening to the audiobook but finished the last fourth of the book on my kindle cause my time for the audiobook ran out and I needed to return it to the library. The narrator was good though. I like him and he fits well with how I perceive Odd in my head. I may listen to
Quintin Van der Merwe
I am still amazed by the amount of times I find myself laughing out loud when reading the "Odd" books. Brilliantly done and 5 starts for the interesting storyline. I stayed up almost all night reading this book and could not put it down.
The most brilliant thing about the book is that Dean writes in a clever way (yes, some of my friends did not get some of the funny parts); the way that things said in the beginning of the book ends up being absolutely hilarious later on while the book still keep
Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction
This is the sequel to Odd Thomas, one of my favorites from Koontz. I wasn't expecting it to be as great as the first in the series but I was looking forward to it anyway.

Sadly, it lacked that emotional spark that made Odd Thomas so appealing a read. This time Odd's friend is kidnapped and he spends the book attempting a rescue and battling a crazed female psychopath who wants Odd to conjure her a ghost. I found my mind drifting away far too often as I read. Too much action, too little emotion. O
Amy
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one more than the first book. It contained less doom n' gloom foreshadowing but kept up the creepy plot and wild characters. Still somewhat disturbing but interesting enough that I might listen to the third one. I like how philosophical Odd gets and the way he treats the ghosts.
Michelle
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Michelle by: Tasha
I’m getting well into Odd Thomas, he’s a cute character that sees dead people and while it’s probably more a YA series of books I’m enjoying it. Especially loving the Elvis side story. Looking forward to seeing what Odd and Elvis get up too next.
Laura Crosse
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So this was a huge improvement on the first book in my opinion. In this book I actually totally fell in love with Odd and I couldn't get enough of his weird little ways. In the first instalment I thought it was difficult to warm to his character and I didn't really 'get' his weird humor and stuff but this has all changed. I now adore this character, he's so sweet and funny and refreshingly decent it's just fantastic.

The plot was so much better in this novel as well, I thought. I was hooked after
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

This review is based on a recent re-read:

Odd Thomas is at it again.... a great story with lot's of twists, turns and surprises.
A childhood friend of Odd’s has disappeared. The worst is feared. But as Odd applies his unique talents to the task of finding the missing person, he discovers something worse than a dead body, encounters an enemy of exceptional cunning, and spirals into a vortex of terror. Once again Odd will stand against our worst fears. Around him will gather new allies and old, some
Maciek
Toria
Apr 18, 2020 rated it liked it
This ended up being a reread, didn't remember that I've read it at all. While the story of Odd is entertaining I'm not in love with the series. It's a good book to spend some time with but not more then that. ...more
Kelly
Uh oh, kids, it’s that time again. What time, you ask? Time for you to pull out your boots and grab your shovels because that synopsis is pure BULLSHIT!

First of all, Odd does not communicate with the dead, he sees the dead. Big difference. I mean sure, he can talk to them, but unless they whip out a pen and paper, he has no idea what they actually want.

Second of all, Datura is not an exceptionally cunning and fearsome enemy. You know what she is? Crazy. Not schizophrenic, bipolar, manic depr
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Probably my least favorite of the series :-(

Favorite Passages:

I hoped to hear the fading rumble of thunder. If a peal had awakened me, it must have been thunder in a dream.
_______

When I stepped onto the porch, this night proved to be like all others: deep, mysterious, trembling with the potential for chaos.
_______

My life is already muy strange and so complex that I keep a grip on sanity only by maintaining a minimalist lifestyle.
______

The Tree Of Death stands across the alley and down the block
Melodie
After a hiatus, I returned to the world of Odd. I enjoyed the first book meeting the eccentric, sensitive Odd Thomas and his friends and neighbors of this world and beyond. So I dove into the second book of Odd ready for a walk on the wild side again.
Odd pursues a childhood friend kidnapped by a special kind of villain. It's a race against time and the first part of the book met my expectations. But then as the pursuit wore on and on, I found myself skimming. Skimming through Dean Koontz? Noo!
Rachel the Book Harlot
description

Hey, Forever Odd. How ya doin'? Good? Yeah? Look, I'm just gonna come out and say it, things just aren't working out. It's not you, it's me.....

Okay, who are we kidding. It's totally you. Your plot is weak, the story feels like it's not going anywhere, and I'm bored. The magic is gone. And with only one week left of summer vacation, I wanna play the field. You know, weigh my options, read around, see if something catches my interest. I just can't be tied down.

But I really do hope we can be fr

• The Bad Place
  • Relentless
  • The Door to December
  • The Room
  • The Zombie Room
  • Betrayal of Faith (Zachary Blake Legal Thriller #1)
  • Nevermore
  • Haunted
  • The Drowned World
  • Median Gray
  • Child of God
  • 77 Shadow Street (Pendleton, #1)
  • Icebound
  • Faces of Fear
  • The Key to Midnight
  • Dead Land (V.I. Warshawski #20)
  • The House of Thunder

Dean, the author of many #1 New York Times bes

Odd Thomas (7 books)
  • Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1)
  • Brother Odd (Odd Thomas, #3)
  • Odd Hours (Odd Thomas, #4)
  • Odd Apocalypse (Odd Thomas, #5)
  • Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas, #6)
  • Saint Odd (Odd Thomas, #7)