Start by marking “Brother Odd (Odd Thomas, #3)” as Want to Read:
Brother Odd (Odd Thomas, #3)

Brother Odd

(Odd Thomas #3)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  62,155 ratings  ·  2,494 reviews
Loop me in, odd one.

The words, spoken in the deep of night by a sleeping child, chill the young man watching over her. For this was a favorite phrase of Stormy Llewellyn, his lost love, and Stormy is dead, gone forever from this world. In the haunted halls of the isolated monastery where he had sought peace, Odd Thomas is stalking spirits of an infinitely darker nature.

Thr
Published November 28th 2006 by Bantam (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Brother Odd, please sign up.
Beverly Odd runs across Boo at the monastery. He's already a ghost dog when Odd meets him.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Akouto Von Yes! That is right. Towards the end of the book, Odd lets us know those books are by Kate DiCamillo.

·  62,155 ratings  ·  2,494 reviews

Start your review of Brother Odd (Odd Thomas, #3)
Will M.
The thing with this series is that no matter how pointless each book may seem, I still find myself enjoying each one way or another. This is the third one and I still don't see the point of the series, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

The whole book was composed of father ____ and sister ____ did this and that. Plus Odd trying to explain that he's not crazy. It was an easy listen, plus David Erin Baker narrated it perfectly. I really liked the way he did it. It felt natural. Even the way he portraye
Matthew
Bizarre, funny, and horrifying - three things I have come to expect from Odd Thomas. It didn't blow me away, but I enjoyed it.

Also, since I live in the Indianapolis area and Odd spends a good deal of time discussing Indianapolis, Hoosiers (people from Indiana, not the movie), etc., I was entertained!

The story itself didn't come anywhere near drawing me in as much as the characters. In fact, I am not sure I fully understand what happened, but oh well!

Finally, one heck of a cliffhanger that has m
Beth
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
I love Odd Thomas. I think he is a great character: endearing, quirky, funny. All the qualities I would want in a good friend. And of course, his ability to see ghosts, and his fundamental compassion towards those spirits, makes him special and even more admirable.
So I was fully expecting to love this book, as I did the first two in this series (Odd Thomas and Forever Odd).
Unfortunately,

***SPOILER ALERT****

the climax of this book was very disappointing. It lasted approximately 1 and 1/2 pages o
Michelle Hajder
Feb 23, 2008 rated it did not like it
B A D B O O K !

Koont'z purple prose give me a migraine and makes me want to kill.

This book will give your pets cholera.

This book is responsible for increases in the gas tax.

This book emanates the odor of previously owned Romano cheese.

This book slapped my husband.

This book voted for Bush.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Odd Thomas is such an awesome character. I loved his integrity, his dry humor and his bravery. I recall reading a quote, something along the lines that bravery isn't the absence of fear, it's the presence of fear but the willingness to do what is needed, anyway. That describes Odd Thomas to a T.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl
This is the fourth time I've actually read Brother Odd. Good thing for Goodreads to help me keep track of how many times. Brother Odd is among my favorites in the Odd Thomas series. For a long time, I said it was my favorite but now I am rather partial to Odd Interlude and Odd Apocalypse.

I like the idea of creating our own reality which I hadn't seen in Koontz's works since By the Light of the Moon , From the Corner of His Eye and most recently experienced in Ashley Bell.

The most impressive thin
Amber J
I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler-free way. If you feel anything in my review is a spoiler and is not already hidden in spoiler brackets please let me know. Thank you.

Still, the best series written by Dean Koontz. I admit I have always been a fan. But this series is truly a great one. This book was better than the previous one. It has the scary factor that I felt Forever Odd lacked. It was much closer to all the things I loved about the first book. Hopefully, as the serie
Edward Lorn
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brother Odd is Dean Koontz's redemption piece after the fiasco that was Forever Odd, whether or not the author thinks so is beside the point. He redeemed himself in my eyes. Everything I hated from the second book is thankfully absent from the third, while everything I adored about the first book returns in abundance.

Odd doesn't have to spend 120 pages walking this time around because he's already at the site of the book's action. I have read other reviews that complain about the story line bei
Dawn Michelle
Aug 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Dawn Michelle by: Read the first two books in the series
Read~July 8, 2008

I really enjoy this series. I love "Odd" and how, without even trying, or even wanting to, lives up to his name.

Odd is struggling with his loss. Even with all that happened in the previous book (and maybe because of it), he is still almost consumed by the loss of his "forever love", "Stormy" Llewellyn. He has retreated to St. Bartholomew's Abbey to live amongst the monks (and the Nun's, who run a school/hospital for children who the world has forgotten or doesn't want anymore)t
Rob
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-thrillers
The title says it all ‘Brother this was Odd’

Not too sure if it was
‘A’ a comedy posing as a horror story or
‘B’ a horror story trying to be humorous.
Which ever it was, for me, it failed on both accounts.
A lot of the humour was just plain puerile, like the ghost of Elvis, who appears on numerous occasions, sticking his finger up his nose and wiggling out his ear. This kind of puerile humour just goes on ad infinitum. As a result of the ODD humour the horror story just never takes off.

The book is 4
Eric Witchey
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
When I'm working hard on cleaning, organizing, repairing, or any of the mundane chores of life, I like to listen to audio books. I listened to Brother Odd over a three day period, and I found myself smiling and occasionally, unintentionally, pausing to listen instead of work. It was a fun mix of "I see dead people," Catholicism, Quantum smoke and mirrors, and mad scientist egoism. I love the compassion and respect Koontz brings to the perspective of people who are generally dismissed in our cult ...more
Charles
Aug 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
I didn't care that much for the second book in the Odd Thomas series but this third book really kicked it up a notch. I thought the end came a bit too easily, but there was a lot of genuine tension throughout the book and some very nice description to go along with interesting characters.
Kathy Davie
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, funny, homey
Third in the Odd Thomas horror-lite series about a young man needing to retreat from his horrific life.

Horror-lite? Yeah, what else can you call it when the story is both warm and creepily weird?

My Take
Well, I was dying to know what and why Odd sought out a monastery. And Koontz delivered with warmth and homeyness even as violence broke out. It's an odd mixture of science and the metaphysical, not at all what I would expect. But then, neither is Odd.

The peace and vitality with which Koontz inves
fleurette
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
I have been thinking for a long time about reading a book about Odd Thomas. Although I thought I would rather start with the first book in this series, but it so happened that I started with this one. And that wasn't a big deal.

What surprised me the most in this book is its poetic angle. There are many sophisticated comparisons and poetic descriptions here. I didn't expect it at all. This is not something you usually see in thrillers. I don't think I have read any other book by this author, so I
Kristin
Dec 07, 2007 rated it liked it
To be honest, three stars was pretty generous, but I just have a hard time giving less unless a book is crap! Don't get me wrong: this is far from crap, but unfortunately I liked it least of the three books in this series. Maybe I was just "over" the premise, but I found many of the characters in this book to be ridiculous, including Mr. Thomas himself. =( I was annoyed by his endless witty/sarcastic/funny comments. It was like he was living one long CBS comedy. And it wasn't just him; everyone ...more
Corey
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
It's been a while since I've read the Odd Thomas series, I had to go back and refresh my memory a little bit before jumping into this book, and I'm glad I did. Brother Odd was an entertaining and fun read, had some comedy in it, some parts making me laugh out loud. It did however take a bit to figure out the plot, and what's going on. But as I read more, it started making sense.

No matter how weird or strange his books can be, I gotta say Dean Koontz is a phenomenal writer!
Amy
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Steve Buchmeyer
Shelves: audio, made-me-think
I have to agree with my Dad - this is the best Odd Thomas book so far. I'd go so far as to say it makes reading the other two books worth it. (And I did enjoy the other two books, but not as much as this one.)
It is slower pace, true, but more philosophical and profound. Between the witty banter and memorable characters comes observations about faith, creation, and pain.
And of course, murder.
A creepy, thought-provoking read. (Or in my case, listen.)
Pam Baddeley
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural
I didn't intend to obtain this book after reading book 2, then discovered it lurking in my TBR pile so decided it would serve the purpose as a lighter read in between the volumes of Jack Vance's Lyonesse series.

The beginning is not very promising as it takes an age to get going after we learn that Odd Thomas has indeed retreated to a monastery, although he is a guest there, not a lay brother. The mountain is remote and in mountainous country, and the snow which will cut off the community for the
Emma
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This did not engage me as much as the first two in the series but I just love Odd!
Brittany
This one was definitely pretty slow, but I am excited for what is to come next. It was a quick read.

Solid 3-3.5 Stars
Jennifer Wardrip
May 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love Dean Koontz. I love Odd Thomas. In fact, I love that Dean Koontz loves Odd Thomas enough to write a third (and I'm guessing, soon a fourth) book about him. So I may be a little biased in saying that BROTHER ODD is one of my favorite books of the year.

Odd has left Pico Mundo to join the nuns and brothers in a monastery. Although he's not taking his vows, he's been enjoying the peace and quiet--and relative safety--that being with these brothers and sisters of Christ has brought. He's also
Malinda
4-4.5 stars

This was a really good addition to the Odd Thomas series. Due to the tragedies that Odd has experienced, he felt a need (at the end of book #2) to get away from all who know him and gain quiet and solitude to heal. Odd goes to a monastery where he stays as a guest and takes time to regain himself. Unfortunately, after being there for 7 month, Odd encounters some freaky stuff that seems to threaten the monks, nuns and the children that the nuns take care of. Odd, with some help from a
Alissa Patrick
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This one has been my favorite of the series so far. It has the interesting setting of a monastery, as Odd goes to hides and recollect himself- of course, trouble follows him wherever he goes. He begins to see bodachs again, which are the creepy shadowy figures that seem to hang around whenever death is imminent. I picture the shadowy creatures from the movie "Ghost" (I just dated myself, I know. Great movie though).

The story itself was decent, but what made it great for me was the cast of chara
Fred
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Koontzland Group Read - September 2020
The Amazon Overdrive (audio) is read by “David Aaron Baker”. The great “tone” brings a easy flow without “horror”. Great listening, smooth, providing a good read/understanding of plot.

Goodreads’s Koontzland 2020-2021 Group re-read schedule- the entire Odd Thomas Series.
1. Odd Thomas JULY
Shelves: audiobook
Another adorably quirky adventure! Love Odd

Review to come

Audiobook Comments
Read by David Aaron Baker - and he just makes this series all the better. Lovely to listen to

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Snapchat @miranda.reads

Happy Reading!
Winter Sophia Rose
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating, Quirky, Moving, Spooky, Dark, Engaging & Laugh Out Loud Funny! An Excellent Read! I Loved It! ...more
Kristie
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, own, series, paranormal
This was not my favorite Odd book. I still enjoyed it and I loved many of the characters, but something central to the plot was not what I was hoping for. (view spoiler)

I much prefer Odd to be the most unrealistic part of the book. I can deal with him seeing ghosts and even bodachs. Th
Jak
Jul 11, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
BLynne
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this series of books by Koontz. Yet I find that I still like the first book the best in the series. I did like this one better than the second in the series. I found the whole concept of Brother John creating things with his mind to be rather interesting and in thinking that the machine he made was like the God creation. It was sad yet good to see that Elvis finally moved on and I found it interesting that Odd was just now able to see the ghost of animals as in the dog Boo. I look ...more
Michelle
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Michelle by: Tasha
I’m loving the Odd Thomas series but I have to say this one didn’t reel me in as much as the others. It’s still a good book, it just wasn’t amazing. And Frank Sinatra is here! I can’t wait to see where this is going.

• The Door to December
  • The Bad Place
  • Relentless
  • 77 Shadow Street (Pendleton, #1)
  • Median Gray
  • Toe to Toe
  • Eye for Eye (Talion, #1)
  • A Deep and Deadly Undertow (Garrison Gage #7)
  • In the Night Room
  • Nightingale House
  • Sati
  • Black Dragon (Ryan Mitchell, #2)
  • Brain / Fatal Cure
  • The Camera Never Lies
  • The Witches of West Shore (Broken Shell Island, #1)
  • A Slave to Want
  • Oblivion Song, Vol. 4
  • Sweet Revenge (Bunburry  #7)

Dean, the author of many #1 New York Times bes

Odd Thomas (7 books)
  • Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1)
  • Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2)
  • Odd Hours (Odd Thomas, #4)
  • Odd Apocalypse (Odd Thomas, #5)
  • Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas, #6)
  • Saint Odd (Odd Thomas, #7)