You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Buddy Reads > The Twelve by Justin Cronin

Comments Showing 1-50 of 151 (151 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Janice and I will be reading The Twelve, which is the second book in the trilogy. We will be starting it on 7th April. I know quite a few have read the first book already so feel free to join us on book 2.

message 2: by Ariane (new)

Ariane | 697 comments I would love that!

message 3: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I thought you might Ariane. I know you enjoyed the first book.

message 4: by Ariane (new)

Ariane | 697 comments I was just thinking of it some days ago and thought I would love to read the second, so I am in!

message 5: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments I will join in.

message 6: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments I will join in.

message 7: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Wow you're keen Cherie ;-)

message 8: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I've just started this. I now i'm early but i just couldn't get in to my tribute book. I'm a slow reader at the moment so you're all bound to catch me up.

message 9: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48675 comments No problem, Sarah. I may join you in a few days.

message 10: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Cool. It's good to be back in the world. I'm all excited to see where this book leads us.

message 11: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I think this is going to be good. I've ran out of data other than on my phone which drives me mad. New data allowance starts tomorrow so I'll come and make some comments then. I've read 10% so far.

message 12: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I'm thinking this might fit a few tasks of the geocache challenge. If it's anything like The Passage, it will fit the characters on the road a lot task (can't remember which site it's for now), set in a cave possibly (one of the parts of the book has a title with the word cave in it), post apocalyptic world and chunkster.

message 13: by Cherie (last edited Apr 05, 2016 10:17AM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments Do you really like it, Sarah? (view spoiler) 2nd spoiler @37% (view spoiler). Maybe it was just me. I never did finish my re-read of The Passage. I am still going to try this one again though. I actually finished off one of the other buddy read books that has not started yet, so I am just waiting for that to start. I may start early too, although it is only a few days.

message 14: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Apr 05, 2016 02:13AM) (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments You might want to change your spoiler Cherie as you clearly read a lot further than I have at this moment in time and that gives a little bit more away than I'd have liked. Perhaps let us know how far you read up to when you read through it the first time. I didn't realise you'd already attempted it otherwise I might have left off reading the spoiler.

So far I think the format is pretty similar to the first book. The POV swaps around as does the timeframe. And there are jumps forward and back like the last book. We get to meet some of the old characters and there are some new ones in there too. Well not new ones exactly.

Part 1 (The Ghost) prologue - ch 2 (view spoiler)

I have to say, reading these first few chapters had me really excited. I'm pleased to be back in this world as I really enjoyed the first book.

Part 2 (The Familiar) - ch 3- 8 (view spoiler)

I'm enjoying finding out more detail about the original outbreak and how it progressed, what people did to try to battle it etc. It really builds up the story.

message 15: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments I'm sorry, Sarah. I did not mean to give anything away to you. I really do not know where I stopped, but I will check and update my spoiler.

message 16: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments I just checked my status updates. Looks like I got up to page 212 which is 37%. I will update my spoiler.

message 17: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments I just read your spoilers, Sarah. I guess we were on the same track. Much of what is in your spoilers is what must have been going through my mind too. Okay, I feel so much better now! So many of the names I have forgotten. I am going to start over to make sure I do not miss anything. RE Alicia (view spoiler)

message 18: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments No worries Cherie. Thanks for that. You read a sizeable chunk then! What made you stop reading?

A name list would be great for this book I reckon.

Alicia (view spoiler)

message 19: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments Sarah wrote: "No worries Cherie. Thanks for that. You read a sizeable chunk then! What made you stop reading?

A name list would be great for this book I reckon.

Alicia [spoilers removed]"

At this moment, the only reason I can think that I stopped was because I was feeling like there were so many things going on in the new book that I did not remember from the first book. I could not figure out if I just did not remember the story in the first book (I really do. I remember things that happened, but all of the names feel like a blur. I read The Passage when it first came out and really loved it, but it was so long between books. When I started reading The Passage again with the buddy read, everything was very familiar - like a dream, but still familiar.

RE Alicia. Yes, I remember her now, but see - I did not until you told me. Too many books between I guess. When I think about The Passage, there are so many scenes and things that happened, even details that I know, but when and who escape me. I remember all of the marching and tramping around, about the compound and the house, about Las Vegas? and the two guys in the bunker at the end. (view spoiler) Just tell me if I am crazy or not.

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48675 comments I started last night but all I got read was the Prologue. I thought it was a great way to catch up and the events from the first book. I also liked that it sounded "biblical" as if a new scripture was being written.

I'll read more tonight if I'm not too tired.

message 21: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments I am back finishing my re-read of The Passage. I bombed through to Chapter 25 last night. I think I can skim more tonight and be ready to re-start The Twelve again.

message 22: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments I finished my audio book and got through chapter 43 in The Passage tonight. I think I remember the next parts, so I am going to the last chapters tomorrow.

message 23: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Good to see you've started it too Janice :-)

I've read a bit more but I didn't have my notepad with me to jot things down. I'm also not sure what chapter I'm in right now so I'll read the current chapter, see where I'm at and come back and comment.

message 24: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I'm mid ch 13 (view spoiler)

message 25: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48675 comments I haven't gotten past the prologue! I was so exhausted the last two nights that I didn't do any reading when I crawled into bed. I was snoring within seconds of hitting the pillow. Tonight's the night, though.

message 26: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Fingers crossed for you Janice. I am pleased to see this book is a lot shorter than the first book. I'm finding it passed like the first so it's quite quick to read through. I'm a third of the way in now.

I think I'm mid chapter 19 (view spoiler)

message 27: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48675 comments Sarah wrote: "Part 1 (The Ghost) prologue - ch 2 (view spoiler)
"

Towards the end of the last book, the group split up. Peter, Alicia and Amy went back to the Colony. The others (Theo, Mausami, Sara, and Hollis)- went south. Years later, Sara's journal was found buried at the site of a massacre and became "The Book of Sara". I presumed then that Sara's group had all died in the massacre. Maybe we'll learn more of it in this book. (view spoiler) I can't remember what happened to Michael, Sara's brother. How quickly things fade from memory.

I kind of like how the book is set up "biblically" - the prologue sounds like a bible. We have "the Book of Sara". Perhaps there will be more. It kind of makes sense to me that the new civilization would deify the saviours (if that's what they turn out to be) and their actions into a type of religion. They have already rid the world of Babcock, and presumably this book is about them eradicating the remaining twelve.

I left off at the beginning of The Familiar, Chapter 4.

message 28: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Thanks for the run down Janice. I had forgotten that about Sara's group. I think they were overrun. But it wasn't detailed about deaths/survivors. And I'd forgotten it was called Book of Sara. I guess their original Christian God didn't make much sense to them anymore after the virals came about so scrapped the bible and wrote a new one.

message 29: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Apr 08, 2016 07:35AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48675 comments Sarah wrote: "Part 2 (The Familiar) - ch 3- 8 (view spoiler)
.."

I can only respond to the first part of your spoiler about Wolgast's wife. I haven't read far enough in the book to read any more of your spoiler. (view spoiler)

I'm not sure that last needs to be in a spoiler since it was all in the first book. Presumably we've all read the first book.

message 30: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Yes i do remember what transpired between them but i couldn't remember whether she was in the book, or just referred to. Now I'm thinking there might have been a phonecall between them.

message 31: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Apr 08, 2016 07:46AM) (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Funny that i can remember all that which was at the beginning of The Passage but not remember about Sara and co which was right at the end. Weird how memory works.

message 32: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48675 comments I think there were a few phone calls. There may have been one where he tried to reach her to get out and flee, but I'm a little hazy on that. It's interesting how, in the interrogation, (view spoiler)

message 33: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Apr 08, 2016 08:05AM) (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Re. Interrogation(view spoiler)

message 34: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48675 comments That makes sense, Sarah.

I read part of Chapter 4. I like that we are transported back to year Zero so that some of the gaps can be filled in.

message 35: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Yes that's something I'm enjoying too. More about the actual breakout is being detailed and how it progressed. From book 1 we had ground zero so to speak where it all kicked off but then we followed Wolgast and Amy.

message 36: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments Mausami and Theo stayed on in the house my the river in the valley that the group found after they left Las Vegas.

The other 6 were captured by the Third Army guys from Kerrville, after they reached Colorado. Alicia joined the Army.

After the army guys tried to kill the vitals in the cave in the mountain, Peter and Amy left on horseback, to go to the beacon site on the mountain, where they found Lacey.

Sara, Michael, Hollis and Alicia went with the soldiers, on the way back to Kerrville and were getting ready to be attacked by The Many at the end of chapter sixty-three.

Theo found human footprints in the barn at the end of chapter sixty-four.

I just read it all tonight. I stopped at the beginning of sixty-five. Lacey is talking about Carter.

Wolgast's wife Eva died.

message 37: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments It was Wolgast's daughter who died, she was called Eva. His wife is Lila and she is definitely alive (at this moment in time anyway).

message 38: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Apr 09, 2016 07:21AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48675 comments I've finished Chapter 5, and we're back to Grey. In The Passage, he was instrumental in causing the breakout of Zero and the twelve. When last he was seen, he was lying dead in the hallway of the compound. (view spoiler) I was a little confused at first, trying to remember who Grey was and how he fit into the story. One almost needs to read these books back to back.

message 39: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments That is what I decided, Janice, but there is SO much!

You are right Sarah, about Eva and Lila. I got them mixed up.

I'm going to finish TP and restart TT today, hopefully. I was sick yesterday and spent the day in bed, mostly listening to my audio book and sleeping and having to go rewind. I felt better late in the evening and could read. My house cleaning chores are done and I'm sitting down with my coffee to read now.

message 40: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments Theo, Mausami, baby Caleb, Sara and Hollis are leaving the valley with the houses in the Humvee to go to Kerrville. They made it to the Roswell Garrison. The last entry in Sara's book said "Shots outside. I'm going to look""."

Alicia - part viral and part Orher, like Amy, Peter, Greer, Michael, and Amy are on their way to California. Amy distroyed the vials in the fire to prevent Peter and Hollis from using it. The Colony was empty when they got there. They buried Auntie. Just before dawn, Amy called Wolgast to her. Alicia saw. I cannot decide if he died or if he flew up into the trees just before the light got to them.

Starting TT again.

message 41: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48675 comments Cherie wrote: "That is what I decided, Janice, but there is SO much! a..."

We'll be reading them both again when the third book comes out. ACK!

message 42: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments I am at the beginning of Chapter 11. (view spoiler)

message 43: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Grey (view spoiler)

Book 3 is out next month. I think i'm going to get it and read it asap.

I've not had chance to read much over the weekend so far.

message 44: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments I am back at where I stopped before at Part III The Field.

End of Chapter 22 (view spoiler)

message 45: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Wow you've read loads Cherie.
I'm just behind you in chapter 20, I'm approaching the end of Part 2.

message 46: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48675 comments Egad, you are both well ahead of me. I read half a page last night before I fell asleep. But I woke at 4:30 and couldn't go back to sleep so read a bit more. I finished chapter 8.

Chapter 7 - Lila (view spoiler)

message 47: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I agree Janice (view spoiler)

message 48: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I've not been too well so i've had more time to read than usual. I've just finished Part 2 and i'm curious about your first spoiler Cherie (view spoiler)

I'll come back and comment on the chapters i've just read later.

message 49: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments I made it to chapter 28 today before I had to go out and do yard work. I have some things to remark on, but writing spoilers on my iPod is a drag and I still haven't been able to read what the two of you have written.

I am going to force myself to stop and read something else. I still have spoilers to read and write for The Clockwork Scarab. I haven't touched my group read or monthly challenge book yet.

message 50: by Ariane (new)

Ariane | 697 comments So, I finally began it! I thought I would find it in the library but it wasn't there, so I got it on Audible.
I am in chapter 4 now and I liked how the previous book was summarised (and I still like the voice of the narrator, I have forgotten his name now)
And that you girls for reminding me the end of the Passage, I didn't know who was with who and where.

« previous 1 3 4