Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > March 2016 Group Read 2: The Terror

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Char (new)

Char  | 13702 comments Mod
Here's a place to discuss our second group read: The Terror! Please use spoiler tags as necessary and happy reading!

message 2: by Muzz (new)

Muzz | 7 comments This looks a monster of a book - excuse the pun. Dan Simmons didn't let me down with 'Summer of Night' so hopefully this will be as good

Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 186 comments This is on my Dan Simmons Marathon shelf, and I own it: no excuse not to join in:).

message 4: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Plan to participate as well once I'm done with The Girl with All the Gifts.

message 5: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10678 comments Mod
my library has this and I'm next in line so i'll give it a go.

message 6: by David (new)

David Haynes | 3151 comments I have just finished it this morning and you're in for a great time. I'd still like to join in and chat about it since it's still so fresh.

message 7: by Jay (new)

Jay (okay_jay) | 215 comments I'm in.

message 8: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2866 comments Mod
I read this a few years ago. It's really good, but the first 50 pages or so are a bit slow. Stay with it. You'll be rewarded with a great story. Simmons also knows how to do a satisfying ending to his stories.

message 9: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments I'm in. This is worthy of a reread. I was gonna burn my audible credit but the English version is abridged. That would suck. So, I put a hold on the hardcover. Again.

message 10: by Hayla (new)

Hayla | 10 comments Oh boy! This one is on my to-read list. :)
I'll try to find a copy this week.

message 11: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments AMC has a TV series in production. Looking forward to that.

message 12: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Hurd-McKenney (jtcontinental) Great book...my favorite of all the Simmons I've read so far. It's kind of a slow creep, but worth it.

message 13: by Chris (last edited Feb 28, 2016 05:31PM) (new)

Chris (gonetoyourhaed) | 41 comments Just finished this a couple of weeks ago. This was my introduction to Dan Simmons and I loved it so much! It's a monster of a book but it's worth it. Not only is it a great horror novel but I learned quite a bit about the hardships of arctic expeditions in the 1800's. Looking forward to joining the discussion!

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael J. (michaeljclarke) | 238 comments Looking forward to this. The Terror has been sitting on my bookshelf for years, waiting for me to pick it up. I was intimidated a bit by the page length and small font. Time to dive in!

message 15: by Dylan (new)

Dylan | 7 comments Like others in here, I also own this book so I should probably take part in this. The only Dan Simmons books I have read are Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion and I really enjoyed them.

message 16: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Dylan, if you haven't read either yet, you might want to consider putting Carrion Comfort or Song of Kali on your TBR list.

message 17: by Dylan (new)

Dylan | 7 comments Walter wrote: "Dylan, if you haven't read either yet, you might want to consider putting Carrion Comfort or Song of Kali on your TBR list."

I just added both of them to my to read shelf. Thank you for the recommendations.

message 18: by Randy (new)

Randy | 103 comments ughh I'm torn on starting this again. I read about 200 pages years ago and had to return it to the owner. BUT I swore off Dan Simmons because he just fills so much of his books (besides Summer of Night - that one is amazing) with details and side stories that don't add anything to the actual story. I just became frustrated with his style... anyone read this before? Which Dan Simmons wrote it - the sharp horror author or the meandering historical perfectionist who has to tell you how much he knows about a time period for no good reason?

message 19: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Randy wrote: "ughh I'm torn on starting this again. I read about 200 pages years ago and had to return it to the owner. BUT I swore off Dan Simmons because he just fills so much of his books (besides Summer of N..."

The latter wrote this one. This will be an interesting group read. I'm expecting mostly one and five star ratings with few in between. It's not for everyone but it excels at what it is for those who do find an interest.

message 20: by Allan James (new)

Allan James Welsh (allanjw) | 2 comments Looking forward to this one. I love it when a story is based on or influenced by true events.

message 21: by Jaro (new)

Jaro (aplaceofmarvels) I will start this very soon and hope to join the discussion.

message 22: by David (new)

David Haynes | 3151 comments It's very heavy on historical detail but I quite enjoyed that aspect. There are some incredible photographs online but I stopped myself reading the articles for fear of spoling the read.

message 23: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 415 comments I too thought the incredible detail is what made this book excellent. The Terror is the book that made me want to join Goodreads. I'm excited to reread it with you all!

message 24: by Maxine Marsh (new)

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments 11811 (Eleven) wrote: "I'm in. This is worthy of a reread. I was gonna burn my audible credit but the English version is abridged. That would suck. So, I put a hold on the hardcover. Again."

I'm in too! This is one of my favorite books--I rarely reread but I am in for this one.

message 25: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Mine just came in at the library. I'll grab it tomorrow and get started. Can't wait to dig in again!

message 26: by Dylan (new)

Dylan | 7 comments I'm glad to hear that so many people like this book and want to reread it. Makes me more excited about it for sure.

message 27: by Josen (new)

Josen (josens) | 71 comments I don't know, I have to admit when I saw how big this book was it made me think twice about it. Lol! Is there really a lot of extra detail?

message 28: by David (new)

David Haynes | 3151 comments I didn't think so, Josen. None of what's written felt forced or unneccesary. It just added to the atmosphere and feeling.

message 29: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Josen wrote: "I don't know, I have to admit when I saw how big this book was it made me think twice about it. Lol! Is there really a lot of extra detail?"

It's worth at least checking out if your library has a copy or you can download the kindle sample. From what I recall, it won't take long to figure out whether or not it's your thing. For me, it's an all time favorite.

message 30: by Jeremie (new)

Jeremie | 22 comments I would be hesitant to recommend this to anyone who didn't have some measure of interest in nautical expeditions. To Dan's credit, he manages to divide the historical material evenly, and pares it down near the ending. At least, that's how I remember it.

I'm not much one for rereads, but I enjoyed this book and am glad to see it voted this month.

message 31: by Amy BP (new)

Amy BP (idiosyncratic_unicorn) | 7 comments I got this book at the library today!! And now, I'm fairly certain I own it . . . which is exactly why my 2016 resolution was to read what I already own or can borrow and to stop buying books, ha! I'm looking forward to my very first group read!

message 32: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments I already feel the cold and fear the scurvy.

message 33: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Pg 30 - "The temperature here on the lower deck high - just below freezing - almost 80 degrees warmer than outside. The effect on someone who's been out on deck for half an hour is the equivalent of walking into a sauna fully clothed."

Brrrr

message 34: by Monika (new)

Monika Murray | 18 comments My hold at the library became available today! What a great timing. I've been reading the sample from amazon on my kindle and I loved the first three chapters. Yes, there is a lot of detail but it helps build the atmosphere which is becoming very intriguing.

message 35: by Eva (new)

Eva My copy should arrive tomorrow and I am looking forward to reading it!
It's funny, because this book has not been that long on my TBR, but was only recommended to me a few weeks ago. I'll try and pair it with a non-fiction book about the same expedition: Frozen in Time: The Fate of the Franklin Expedition (but perhaps not this month :-))

message 36: by David (new)

David Watkins | 29 comments Randy wrote: "ughh I'm torn on starting this again. I read about 200 pages years ago and had to return it to the owner. BUT I swore off Dan Simmons because he just fills so much of his books (besides Summer of N..."

I'm with you. I lasted 300 pages and just had to stop. The style was beginning to annoy me as well (every character is introduced every time with their full name and rank, one of my pet hates). I found a lot of it fascinating, but heavy going so I gave up - temporarily I told myself - to read something more 'fun'. That was nearly 6 months ago.

Empress Reece (Hooked on Books) (empressreece) | 86 comments Hi I've already read all three of the group reads so I won't be participating this month but you guys have fun. The Terror was really good : ) Enjoy!

message 38: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Mcgrath | 155 comments 11811 (Eleven) wrote: "Pg 30 - "The temperature here on the lower deck high - just below freezing - almost 80 degrees warmer than outside. The effect on someone who's been out on deck for half an hour is the equivalent o..."
A valid fear..

message 39: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 880 comments Latasha wrote: "my library has this and I'm next in line so i'll give it a go."

I'm waiting for my copy of this one too. See which comes first, the Terror or Girl with All the Gifts...

message 40: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments The facts in this novel scare the crap outta me. The horror is just a bonus.

message 41: by Maxine Marsh (new)

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments Yeah the utter isolation and their extended time trapped in such extreme cold conditions creates such a psychological dread, it's great!

message 42: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments I picked up Ice Blink: The Tragic Fate of Sir John Franklin's Lost Polar Expedition today so I can read it in tandem with Terror and see how much of this stuff Simmons had to make up to turn this into a horror story. Apparently, not much. The climate, scurvy, starvation, cannibalism, ambiguous cause of death for many of the crew. Not much at all.

message 43: by VanillaSky (new)

VanillaSky | 31 comments I'm listening to the audio - about 19 chapters in - and find the story too slow-pacing, erratic and detailed.(view spoiler)

message 44: by Latasha (last edited Mar 05, 2016 02:28AM) (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10678 comments Mod
VanillaSky wrote: "I'm listening to the audio - about 19 chapters in - and find the story too slow-pacing, erratic and detailed.[spoilers removed]"

uh oh!! I'm waiting for the audio from my library...I didn't read your spoiler.

message 45: by Monika (last edited Mar 05, 2016 08:18AM) (new)

Monika Murray | 18 comments 27 chapters in and it has got me. There is no getting out. I love the complexity, the detail and the historic background. When I first started the book, I armed myself with maps and historical information about this particular expedition and had a lot of fun learning what they were doing , where they were and what they were trying to accomplish. I agree with others, this is not a fast reading book however, the farther I get into the book, the faster it seems to read. A real gem in my opinion.

message 46: by David (new)

David Haynes | 3151 comments I agree, Monika!

message 47: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 880 comments Monika wrote: "27 chapters in and it has got me. There is no getting out. I love the complexity, the detail and the historic background. When I first started the book, I armed myself with maps and historical info..."

Looking forward to finally getting my copy...waiting for Mr. Postman...

message 48: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments pg 291 (view spoiler)

That right there is some really weird shit.

message 49: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Just started my read last night.

message 50: by David (new)

David Haynes | 3151 comments 11811 (Eleven) wrote: "pg 291 [spoilers removed]

That right there is some really weird shit."

It creates a very strange image.

« previous 1