Comments Showing 1-50 of 127 (127 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello Diptarup,
Hope you doing good.
We are Copy-Cat pair :p
Let's do this.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm a little nervous because now I have to read a book from a Literature student's shelf ;p

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm dying to read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn after my wonderful experience with The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, but it's 300 something. I have a very busy schedule now, so I'll pick something short. Maybe Things Fall Apart!!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope you will find something useful in my almost empty shelf.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

And I compared our books. There's nothing for you, cause you have already them.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

But if you want, I can give you some suggestion from my favourite books.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

My suggestion for you: Dracula (since you love classics)
Train to Pakistan (My personal favourite)
The God of Small Things (Beautifully written. A full five for me.)
The Kite Runner
To Sir, With Love

Waiting for your suggestions.

message 8: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis To sir, with love ^_^

message 9: by Diptarup (new)

Diptarup Ghosh Dastidar | 83 comments Thanks a lot for the suggestions Arpit! :D Hovering between Dracula and The Kite Runner...

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Diptarup wrote: "Thanks a lot for the suggestions Arpit! :D Hovering between Dracula and The Kite Runner..."

Hey Diptarup. I think you should read Dracula. The Kite Runner is nice, but Dracula is a milestone in Vampire literature ;p

message 11: by Diptarup (last edited Feb 28, 2016 09:32AM) (new)

Diptarup Ghosh Dastidar | 83 comments OK... Quick question to you... who began the Vampire Literature cult? You can take the help of the internet! :D

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Now that's like a literature student!!
According to internet and I think Polidori's The Vampyre.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Buddy,
Help me to choose from the following titles:
Things Fall Apart
The Catcher in the Rye
Wuthering Heights
The Sun Also Rises

message 14: by Diptarup (new)

Diptarup Ghosh Dastidar | 83 comments All of them are very good! But if you have all of these books I will give a ranking based on your likes
1. The Catcher in the Rye - It is a campus novel and it stays with you all the while!
2. Wuthering Heights - It is mysterious and romantic, with horror and suspense.
3. Things Fall Apart - About Africa, in a very simple language! Very interesting
4. The Sun Also Rises - gain a little bit more of reading years before coming to this! You may not enjoy it right now! First thing about classics- they tend to be initially boring!

message 15: by Diptarup (new)

Diptarup Ghosh Dastidar | 83 comments There is one book that is more tempting right now to me in your read list - The Silver Chair... I had planned on reading it long back, but could not! I have read all the other Narnia books except this and the last installment! This challenge can be a good excuse for me to finally complete the rest of the series!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Diptarup wrote: "All of them are very good! But if you have all of these books I will give a ranking based on your likes
1. The Catcher in the Rye - It is a campus novel and it stays with you all the wh..."

Oh wow!! What a detailed explanation.
I have a paperback of Wuthering Heights. Others in e-book.
If Gorab is ready to read with me, then I'll choose The Catcher in the Rye, otherwise Wuthering Heights since I haven't read anything from Bronte sisters.
Things Fall Apart is a trilogy. Will do a marathon for it.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Diptarup wrote: "There is one book that is more tempting right now to me in your read list - The Silver Chair... I had planned on reading it long back, but could not! I have read all the other Narnia b..."

Narnia was a little sugar coated for me. I only liked the first book The Magician's Nephew. Since I am no expert in Christianity, that allegory doesn't bother me at all. Aslan is only a Lion for me.

message 18: by Diptarup (new)

Diptarup Ghosh Dastidar | 83 comments Things Fall Apart is a part of a trilogy, but their stories are unconnected! They are sequels in tone! not in storyline!

Because you are a teenager yet, I insist on The Catcher in the Rye... You will love it!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

What's the answer of message 11? (Explain in details;p)

message 20: by Diptarup (new)

Diptarup Ghosh Dastidar | 83 comments https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wi...

This is the wikipedia page for Polidori... It is a very small page so you can read it full... The third paragraph under "Biography" would be interesting to you...

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Diptarup wrote: "Things Fall Apart is a part of a trilogy, but their stories are unconnected! They are sequels in tone! not in storyline!

Because you are a teenager yet, I insist on The Catcher in the Rye... You ..."

I hope so. And it's not too thick, so it will easily settle in my schedule. So Catcher final : )

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Diptarup wrote: "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wi...

This is the wikipedia page for Polidori... It is a very small page so you can read it full... The third paragraph under "Biography" would be int..."

Okay. I'll read it in the morning. Promise.
Have you read The Vampyre?

message 23: by Diptarup (new)

Diptarup Ghosh Dastidar | 83 comments And it is a very fast read! Breezy language....

message 24: by Diptarup (new)

Diptarup Ghosh Dastidar | 83 comments And I will read The Silver Chair... OK you might wonder about the rating... Well it was one of the first books I rated when I was a newbie at Goodreads and didnt know what the site was actually about.. I couldn't un-rate it! :P :D So the rating is still there!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Now I have to read the page of Romantic movement :/

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Diptarup wrote: "And I will read The Silver Chair... OK you might wonder about the rating... Well it was one of the first books I rated when I was a newbie at Goodreads and didnt know what the site was..."

Okay then. Although you could un-rate it. First delete it from your shelf and then add again. I think that might work.
What do you think of Narnia series?

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

7th book is quite controversial. Would love to hear your opinion on 7th book as well.

message 28: by Diptarup (new)

Diptarup Ghosh Dastidar | 83 comments Ha ha ha... I thought you knew about Frankenstein! :P Never mind romanticism... Polidori was physician to Lord Byron, the first ever literary celebrity in England!

message 29: by Diptarup (new)

Diptarup Ghosh Dastidar | 83 comments Arpit wrote: "What's the answer of message 11? (Explain in details;p)"

It is John Polidori... Yeah!! And no one even knew this guy who literally created the vampire myth!

message 30: by Diptarup (new)

Diptarup Ghosh Dastidar | 83 comments Arpit wrote: "Diptarup wrote: "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wi...

This is the wikipedia page for Polidori... It is a very small page so you can read it full... The third paragraph under "Biogra..."

No... I haven't read The Vampyre! :P

message 31: by Diptarup (new)

Diptarup Ghosh Dastidar | 83 comments Arpit wrote: "Diptarup wrote: "And I will read The Silver Chair... OK you might wonder about the rating... Well it was one of the first books I rated when I was a newbie at Goodreads and didnt know ..."

About the Narnia series, I agree with you... It is too much for children... Book 2 was a disappointment for me... I liked the film way better! Prince Caspian and Voyage of the Dawn treader are so far the only good books in this series! Lets see about the rest!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Diptarup wrote: "No... I haven't read The Vampyre! :P
"

Me too. We can BR it someday.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Diptarup wrote: About the Narnia series, I agree with you... It is too much for children... Book 2 was a disappointment for me... I liked the film way better! Prince Caspian and Voyage of the Dawn treader are so far the only good books in this series! Lets see about the rest!"

Films were better, I agree.

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 29, 2016 08:29AM) (new)

I asked to Gorab about it. Let's see if he joins me. Otherwise I'll start tomorrow.

message 35: by Gorab (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Hello Arpit and Diptarup,
Woot woot! I got a new thread to spam :)
Feeling so lucky that I haven't read ANY of the books that you've mentioned here so far.
Not much of a 'classics' guy. But would love to read Catcher (since "Perks" happens to be my all time favourite, and many people call it a rip-off of Catcher)
Would also be interested in Things Fall Apart some other time, for it looks very promising.

Happy reading to both of you.
Cheers,
Gorab

message 36: by Annette, The Manager (new)

Annette mathews (annettesara) | 1178 comments Mod
Happy reading guys :)

message 37: by Diptarup (new)

Diptarup Ghosh Dastidar | 83 comments Thanxx Annette and Gorab... Yeah Catcher is better than Perks! It is crisper... Join in our discussion at any time... Me and Arpit would really appreciate it! :)

message 38: by Diptarup (new)

Diptarup Ghosh Dastidar | 83 comments Arpit wrote: "I asked to Gorab about it. Let's see if he joins me. Otherwise I'll start tomorrow."

And finally let me know which one you decided Arpit! I will start Silver Chair on 6th March! Too busy with University fest before that!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Diptarup wrote: "Arpit wrote: "I asked to Gorab about it. Let's see if he joins me. Otherwise I'll start tomorrow."

And finally let me know which one you decided Arpit! I will start Silver Chair on 6th March! Too ..."

Of course The Catcher in the Rye. Although I'll start it after finishing The Nightingale. I think in few days. Maybe with you:)
You have university fest?

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Diptarup wrote: "Thanxx Annette and Gorab... Yeah Catcher is better than Perks! It is crisper... Join in our discussion at any time... Me and Arpit would really appreciate it! :)"

He will. Don't worry Diptarup. He always will be here. And not only for discussion....;p

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Gorab wrote: "Hello Arpit and Diptarup,
Woot woot! I got a new thread to spam :)
Feeling so lucky that I haven't read ANY of the books that you've mentioned here so far.
Not much of a 'classics' guy. But would..."

Welcome buddy,

So you found the new 'kingdom', huh??
Ready to read 'Catcher'?

message 42: by Gorab (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Diptarup wrote: "Thanxx Annette and Gorab... Yeah Catcher is better than Perks! It is crisper... Join in our discussion at any time... Me and Arpit would really appreciate it! :)"

Did I read 'Better than Perks'?? Yuhooooo
We can start anyday after 9th? Wotsay Arpit?

message 43: by Gorab (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments What kind of activities do you have in your fest? Is it similar to literature fests?

message 44: by Gorab (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Arpit wrote: "He will. Don't worry Diptarup. He always will be here. And not only for discussion....;p "

Ha ha! I like it :) And yes sure I'll be here for discussion also ;)

message 45: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 03, 2016 01:06AM) (new)

Gorab wrote: "Did I read 'Better than Perks'?? Yuhooooo
We can start anyday after 9th? Wotsay Arpit? "

Lol. I can imagine your excitement. I'm in the same boat. Diptarup told me that Hucklebery Finn was better than Tom Sawyer. Can't wait to meet Huck. So Yuhoooo....from me too.
A simple handshake wali deal. After 9.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Gorab wrote: "Arpit wrote: "He will. Don't worry Diptarup. He always will be here. And not only for discussion....;p "

Ha ha! I like it :) And yes sure I'll be here for discussion also ;)"

You got it!!
I checked Catcher today. Lots of GRian didn't like it. But as Diptarup already said, one would enjoy it more if he reads it in his twenties (In some cases late twenties also ;p).

message 47: by Gorab (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments Simple handshake... done deal to start after 9!
Though even the late to latest twenties won't fit me in... But I'll try reading it with a twenties frame of mind :)

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Gorab wrote: "Simple handshake... done deal to start after 9!
Though even the late to latest twenties won't fit me in... But I'll try reading it with a twenties frame of mind :)"

“The most sophisticated people I know - inside they are all children. ”
― Jim Henson

message 49: by Diptarup (new)

Diptarup Ghosh Dastidar | 83 comments Gorab wrote: "What kind of activities do you have in your fest? Is it similar to literature fests?"

Heyy Gorab, it is not a literature fest... It is a long annual programme of five days where we hosted chief guests like PM Narendra Modi, President Pranab Mukherjee, Stars like Anil Kapoor and the Bachchan Family, and we are having loads of competitions among all the 22 Faculties in the University! Tomorrow is the Finas after which the results will be out! It is a Fun Week! I have represented my faculty in Western Vocal Solo and Western Group Song... We even had selection rounds for that in our own faculties... Only the winners can represent their faculty! :D

message 50: by Diptarup (new)

Diptarup Ghosh Dastidar | 83 comments Arpit wrote: "Gorab wrote: "Did I read 'Better than Perks'?? Yuhooooo
We can start anyday after 9th? Wotsay Arpit? "

Lol. I can imagine your excitement. I'm in the same boat. Diptarup told me that Hucklebery F..."

Tom Sawyer, you would notice that his adventures are basically domestic, and based on make-belief stuff! However, Huck's adventures are real! And he would make you feel in his innocent diction that this is not the harmless world of Sawyer! It is the Wild!

« previous 1 3