Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Challenge Archives > 2000 Plus Challenge - Tasks, Questions and Comments

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nell (last edited Apr 13, 2016 05:33AM) (new)

Nell | 2755 comments Mod
free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com
Cozy Mystery Corner has over 2000 members. We're celebrating with a challenge.

Duration: March 1 to May 31, 2016

Levels:
Lurkdom: 1 to 4 books/tasks
Peruser: 5 to 8 books/tasks
Bookworm: 9 to 12 books/tasks
Avid Reader: 13 to 16 books/tasks
Bibliophile: 17 to 20 books/tasks

Rules:
A book can only be used for one task.
Books can be any genre, but cozies are preferred.
Books must be at least 125 pages.

TASKS:

♦ Read the second book in a series.

♦ Two is the number of partnership. Read a book with a crime-solving duo (spouses, partners, friends, etc.)

♦ The 2000 Summer Olympic games were held in Sydney, Australia. Read a book set in Australia.

♦ February is the second month of the year. Read a book published in February (of any year).

♦ The 20th President of the United States was James A. Garfield. He served in office for only 200 days before he was assassinated. Read a book where someone is shot.

♦ The 20th card in the Tarot deck is Judgment. This card symbolizes transition, decisions and major change. Read a book where the MC has a major change in his/her life. (divorces, changes job, moves, gets married, has a child, etc.)

♦ The Roman numeral for 2000 is MM. Read a book where the author's first or last name begins with the letter M.

♦ Double Digits. Read any book from a series that has 20 or more books.
See msgs 15 & 16

♦ In 2000, the most popular tv show in the United States was "Gilmore Girls". The show was about a single mother with a teenage daughter. Read a book where the MC is a single mother.

♦ "It Takes Two" is the name of a popular hip-hop song. Read a book from the shelf of one of your Goodreads friends.

♦ The Billboard 200 ranks the top-selling music recordings. Read a book where one of the characters sings or plays a musical instrument.

♦ In Numerology, the number two is associated with intuition and psychic ability. Read a book where the MC is psychic or has paranormal ability.

♦ The top song in 2000 was "Breathe" by Faith Hill. Read a book where the MC is a clergy person or the spouse of a clergy person or where the MC attends church at least once (attending a funeral counts).

♦ Cozy Mystery Corner has over 2000 members. Read a book published between 2000 and 2010.

♦ The year 2000 is referred to as Y2K. Read a book with a title that begins with the letter Y or K OR the author's first or last name begins with Y or K.

♦2000 was the first year of the 21st century. So far this century has been marked by the rise of globalization. Read a book that is NOT set in the country where you live.

♦The 20th letter of the alphabet is "T". Read a book with a title that begins with the letter T. (Titles beginning with the word "The" cannot be used for this task.)

♦Mississippi was the 20th state to join the United States. Read a book set in Mississippi OR by an author from Mississippi OR a book where M and S are the first letters of any word in the title or the author's name or a combination of both. (For example: Title: Murder on St. Mark's Place by Victoria Thompson; Author: To Helen Back by Susan McBride; Combo: Storm Track by Margaret Maron)
See msg 5 for Mississippi authors and series.
*Please note: The series name is NOT part of the title.

♦20/20 vision is the standard for visual acuity tests. Read a book with a character who wears glasses at some point in the story (sunglasses count).

♦Twenty Questions was a popular party game that became a radio quiz program in the 1940's and a television game show in the 1950's. Read a book where a character is taken to the police station for questioning.

WHAT TO DO:
* Pick a level.
* You may change your books and player level at any time during the challenge.
* Post any questions, comments or book suggestions in this thread.
* Copy the tasks list and post your progress in the reporting thread. Here

message 2: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2755 comments Mod
Comment from Mary W:

I don't really understand most of what is written here. But I guess I will try to do it. I think the books I am reading right now about Agnes Barton and Eleanor Mason fits into all of these categories. The books are two friends who are always in trouble going into the police station to be questioned and they are written by Madison Johns, another requirement. They live in Michigan, though that dose not fit, but maybe you could overlook that part. The book I just finished was Trouble in Tawas and the one I am reading now is Treasure in Tawas. That is book 4 and book 5 in the series and book 6 is Bigfoot in Tawas!

message 3: by Nell (last edited Feb 24, 2016 09:43AM) (new)

Nell | 2755 comments Mod
Nell wrote: "Comment from Mary W:

I don't really understand most of what is written here. But I guess I will try to do it. I think the books I am reading right now about Agnes Barton and Eleanor Mason fits int..."

Mary it is one book per task. You're not trying to find one book to fit all 20 tasks. If a book fits multiple tasks, you have to pick one of them.

The challenge begins on March 1st. Books read before that date do not count.

Agnes and Eleanor sound like a crime-solving duo or the author's name could fit the MM task. If you read two books in this series during the challenge period, you can use one for the duo and one for the roman numeral task. You cannot use the same book for both.

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary (mw8019) | 273 comments Nell,

Thanks for the explanation, I think I understand now. I will just pick one point and concentrate on that and go from there. Thanks, Nell you always have the answers I need.

Mary

message 5: by Nell (last edited Mar 05, 2016 04:27AM) (new)

Nell | 2755 comments Mod
Cozy mysteries set in Mississippi:

Cat in the Stacks series by Miranda James

Sarah Booth Delaney series by Carolyn Haines

Cherry Cola Book Club by Ashton Lee

Mystery Author who live in MS:
John Grisham
Tom Franklin
Matthew Guinn
Greg Iles

GR list of MS authors:
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill Tool | 120 comments I'm in sounds like fun

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Babb | 7 comments Authors w/last names K: Linda Kozar!

Crime-solving duo: Darcy & Flora! (by Blanche Day Manos)

But Dagnabbit, you didn't say AUDIObooks count! 'cuz I can provide those, if you need official sponsors for this challenge.

message 8: by Nell (last edited Feb 26, 2016 07:37AM) (new)

Nell | 2755 comments Mod
Michelle wrote: "Authors w/last names K: Linda Kozar!

Crime-solving duo: Darcy & Flora! (by Blanche Day Manos)

But Dagnabbit, you didn't say AUDIObooks count! 'cuz I can provide those, if you need official sponso..."

The author and series that you suggested are audio books narrated by you.

Thank you for your offer, but we are not looking for an 'official sponsor' for the challenge. This challenge is for fun. Please do not use it as an opportunity for self-promotion. The folders for Author promotions and giveaway offers on the main discussion page are the appropriate place for that.

The challenge rules do not exclude audio books. Members can use the page count in the print version of a book to satisfy the minimum page requirement.

message 9: by Caelan (new)

Caelan (caelanm) I think I can do this. Not sure what level or anything, but I'll figure something out.

message 10: by Marisa (last edited Feb 26, 2016 01:08PM) (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 419 comments Nell wrote: "Cozy mysteries set in Mississippi:

Cat in the Stacks series by Miranda James

Sarah Booth Delaney series by Carolyn Haines"

Thank you, nice to know as the last in the Cat in the Stack series was out on Tuesday.

message 11: by Jill (new)

Jill (jgeorge4) | 50 comments Sounds like an interesting challenge. I'm in good luck to every one

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura (dogsmomlaura) | 4 comments I really want to be a bookworm, but will start at the Peruser level.

message 13: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2755 comments Mod
Laura wrote: "I really want to be a bookworm, but will start at the Peruser level."

You can change your level at any point during the challenge.

message 14: by Nell (last edited Mar 25, 2016 06:34AM) (new)

Nell | 2755 comments Mod
Some mystery series with 20 or more books:
(not all are cozies)

Hercule Poirot by Agatha Christie
Bed and Breakfast by Mary Daheim
Death on Demand by Carolyn Hart
Daisy Dalrymple by Carola Dunn
Deborah Knott by Margaret Maron
Faith Fairchild by Katherine Hall Page
Stephanie Plum by Janet Evanovich
Kinsey Milhone by Sue Grafton
Roderick Alleyn by Ngaio Marsh
China Bayles by Susan Wittig Albert
Thomas & Charlotte Pitt by Anne Perry
Harry Bosch by Michael Connelly
Mrs. Jeffries by Emily Brightwell
Brother Cadfael by Ellis Peters
Commissario Brunetti by Donna Leon
Inspector Henry Tibbett by Patricia Moyes
Leaphorn & Chee by Tony Hillerman
Phryne Fisher by Kerry Greenwood
Wind River Reservation by Margaret Coel
Sharon McCone by Marcia Muller
Claire Malloy by Joan Hess

message 15: by Barb (new)

Barb | 725 comments To add to your list, Nell:

Agatha Raisin by M.C. Beaton
Aunt Dimity by Nancy Atherton
Brady Coyne by William G. Tapply
Dog Lovers by Susan Conant
Donut Shop by Jessica Beck
Emma Lord by Mary Daheim
Gregor Demarkian by Jane Haddam
Hannah Swensen by Joanne Fluke
Kate Shugak by Dana Stabenow
Lucy Stone by Leslie Meier
Meg Langslow by Donna Andrews
Regan Reilly by Carol Higgins Clark
Savannah Reid by G.A. McKevett
Sister Fidelma by Peter Tremayne

message 16: by Nell (last edited Feb 27, 2016 11:39AM) (new)

Nell | 2755 comments Mod
Barb wrote: "To add to your list, Nell:

Agatha Raisin by M.C. Beaton
Aunt Dimity by Nancy Atherton
Brady Coyne by William G. Tapply
Dog Lovers by [author:Susan ..."

Thanks Barb

I did not include the Meg Langslow and Hannah Swensen series because there are 19 books. But if they've announced the 20th for publication this year, I'll count it.

GR only shows 16 books in the Regan Reilly series. SYKM list 19 in this series with no new pub'n in 2016. That one won't count.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Hamish Macbeth by M.C. Beaton
Matthew Bartholomew by Susanna Gregory

Are two other 20 or more series

message 18: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 4 comments Okay, I'm in. I'll try the Peruser.

message 19: by Barb (new)

Barb | 725 comments According to Donna Andrews' GR page, there is a 20th book coming out in 2016: Meg Langslow series

For some reason, it's not showing on the Hannah Swenson series page, but Christmas Caramel Murder is due out in September, and that will be book #20.

FictFact shows book #20 in the Regan Reilly series coming out in 2017, so I guess that one won't work, sorry :)

message 20: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 419 comments Well, you can add too:

Murder She Wrote by Jessica Fletcher / Donald Bain

message 21: by Marianne (new)

Marianne | 120 comments I'm in, this sounds like a fun challenge.

message 22: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Hasenkamp | 47 comments who knows a series or author for the books set in Australia?

message 23: by Barb (new)

Barb | 725 comments There's quite a list here , Jeannie.

message 24: by Nell (last edited Feb 29, 2016 06:57AM) (new)

Nell | 2755 comments Mod
Jeannie wrote: "who knows a series or author for the books set in Australia?"

The March featured read is a series set in Australia - Phryne Fisher by Kerry Greenwood

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura (dogsmomlaura) | 4 comments Nell wrote: "Some mystery series with 20 or more books:
(not all are cozies)

Thank you. Wonderful list!

message 26: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Lang | 29 comments Peruser

message 27: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2755 comments Mod
Carmen wrote: "Peruser"

Copy the tasks list and sign-up in the other challenge thread.

message 28: by Nell (last edited Mar 04, 2016 04:45AM) (new)

Nell | 2755 comments Mod
From Jeanne:
"I finished Once Upon a Grind by Cleo Coyle, which was my other March challenge book...
Nell, as Clare Cosi is a single mother, can this book also be used for the 2000 Challenge? Or should I just read and use another in the series? "

You CAN use Once Upon a Grind for the single mother task in the 2000 Plus challenge. Even though her father is involved, Clare has custody.
You CANNOT use Billionaire Blend, the book you first posted, because you read it before the challenge began.

message 29: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2755 comments Mod
Laura wrote: "I will use the Peruser Level...."

Welcome to the challenge Laura. You need to move your post to the sign-up thread.

message 30: by Mary (new)

Mary (mw8019) | 273 comments Nell wrote: "Nell wrote: "Comment from Mary W:

I don't really understand most of what is written here. But I guess I will try to do it. I think the books I am reading right now about Agnes Barton and Eleanor M..."

Nell,

I have another question about the challenge. In one of my other book clubs, I found Author Tami Hoag. She writes about a single Mom detective in a series of about 5 or more books. But they are not cozies. They are all stand alone, so it is not necessary to read them in order. Would one of these books fit into one of our requirements for our 2000 challenge. I read her latest book The Bitter Season last month for the book club and it was very good.

I know I cannot use that one because I read it last month! But there are others that I have on my Kindle. She is a very good author!

Thanks, Nell.

Mary

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) | 949 comments I'm not Nell but the rules at the top say

Rules:
A book can only be used for one task.
Books can be any genre, but cozies are preferred.
Books must be at least 125 pages.

so it looks as though the Tami Hoag would be fine

message 32: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2755 comments Mod
Mary wrote: "I have another question about the challenge. In one of my other book clubs, I found Author Tami Hoag. She writes about a single Mom detective in a series of about 5 or more books. But they are not cozies. ..."

Thanks for responding Hilary.

Yes, you can use a book by Tami Hoag. It sounds like it fits the single mom task.

message 33: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Hasenkamp | 47 comments I don't know how to copy the tasks to my sign up but I have read one book towards my challenge as a bookworm.

message 34: by Nell (last edited Mar 07, 2016 05:02AM) (new)

Nell | 2755 comments Mod
Jeannie wrote: "I don't know how to copy the tasks to my sign up but I have read one book towards my challenge as a bookworm."

I can't do that for you because you won't be able to edit the post.

Place your cursor at the start of the text you want to copy - For this it's the word TASKS. Press the left button on your mouse, hold it and drag to the bottom of the list. The text should be highlighted. Release the left button and press the right mouse button. Click on "Copy". You can then go to the reporting thread, and paste the post as a new comment by pressing the right mouse button again and clicking "Paste".

Hope this helps. If you're still having problems, ask a young person. They're very adept with technology. :D

ETA: You need to report the task completed and post the name of the book beneath that task.

message 35: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Lang | 29 comments Sounds like a lot of fun and not too hard. I will attempt "peruser" level. Happy Reading.

message 36: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2755 comments Mod
Carmen wrote: "Sounds like a lot of fun and not too hard. I will attempt "peruser" level. Happy Reading."

I have included you on the list of players, Carmen. Please copy the task list and post it in the Sign-Up thread.

message 37: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Hasenkamp | 47 comments so far I have read Murder In An Irish Village by Carleen O'Connor for the book set in a country I don't live in.
I read Shards of Murder by Cheryl Hollon for the second book in a series.

message 38: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2755 comments Mod
Question from Joni:

Ummmm...have I made a mistake. Do all titles have to be cozy mysteries? Yes I realize what group I am part of, but I read other books too and just want to know what I can use for this challenge. Thanks

message 39: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2755 comments Mod
Nell wrote: "Question from Joni:

Ummmm...have I made a mistake. Do all titles have to be cozy mysteries? Yes I realize what group I am part of, but I read other books too and just want to know what I can use f..."

Joni - You can use books from any genre for this challenge.

message 40: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Hasenkamp | 47 comments how do I add the books I read to the tasks list I copied? help please

message 41: by Nell (last edited Mar 20, 2016 02:54AM) (new)

Nell | 2755 comments Mod
Jeannie wrote: "how do I add the books I read to the tasks list I copied? help please"

You can edit any comment that you post on GR.
Go to the post with your tasks list (clicking on your name in msg 2 takes you there.)
At the bottom of your post, click the edit button.
Scroll to the task and add the book title and/or cover.
Click "Edit Post" at the bottom of the comment box.

If you're asking how to post book links and covers, see my response to your question in the Serial Reader Challenge thread.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 42: by Karen (new)

Karen Miles (karbear1022) Task about a single mother...Book Retreat Mystery Series by Ellery Adams. The MC is a single mom (widowed) of twin boys.Murder in the Mystery Suite

message 43: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 419 comments Karen, thank you about the info. This series has been at my TBR for a lot, and this is a reason to put it at the top.

message 44: by Karen (new)

Karen Miles (karbear1022) Task about a clergy person or spouse of a clergy person...Faith Fairchild Mysteries by Katherine Hall Page The Body in the Belfry (Faith Fairchild, #1) by Katherine Hall Page . Faith is a spouse of a clergy person.

message 45: by Nell (last edited Mar 23, 2016 04:32AM) (new)

Nell | 2755 comments Mod
Other series with clergy/church/religious setting:

G.M. Malliet, Max Tudor (vicar)
Julia Spencer-Fleming, Rev. Clare Fergusson
Emilie Richards, Ministry is Murder
Denise Swanson, Scumble River (MC attends church regularly)
Ellis Peters, Brother Cadfael
Sharan Newman, Catherine LeVendeur (convent)
Peter Tremayne, Sister Fidelma
Jennifer Stanley/Ellery Adams, Hope Street Church
G K Chesterton, Father Brown
Margaret Coel, Wind River Reservation (Jesuit priest)
Margaret Frazer, Sister Frevisse
Roberta Isleib, Preaching to the Corpse: An Advice Column Mystery
Jeanne M. Dams, The Body In The Transept (Dorothy Martin #1)

message 46: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (oldemill) | 204 comments Nell wrote: "Other series with clergy/church/religious setting:

G.M. Malliet, Max Tudor (vicar)
Julia Spencer-Fleming, Rev. Clare Fergusson
Emilie Richards, Mini..."

Actually, the task I am having the most trouble with is the MC wearing glasses. Do you have any suggestions for that one?

message 47: by Nell (last edited Mar 21, 2016 03:36AM) (new)

Nell | 2755 comments Mod
That's a task where you may not know until you're reading the book. I imagine Miss Maple wearing glasses but that may be in the TV movies and not the books. One option is to look at mysteries with senior sleuths. Some of them may fit.

Since sunglasses are included you might look for mysteries set during the summer or set in the Southern part of the US. For example, I think there are scenes where Liz Talbot is wearing sunglasses in the South Carolina Lowcountry series by Susan M. Boyer. Duffy Brown's Consignment Shop mysteries are set in Georgia and the characters sometimes wear disguises that include glasses.

If you can think of a mystery where a character wears glasses, feel free to post it here. Remember it's any character who wears glasses in at least one scene.

message 48: by Anna Catharina (new)

Anna Catharina Agatha Raisin wears sunglasses in the book Agatha Raisin and the Day the Floods Came (Agatha Raisin, #12) by M.C. Beaton

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

One of the suspects in Death of a Nag (Hamish Macbeth, #11) by M.C. Beaton Death of a Nag by M.C. Beaton wears glasses.

Also, in Tempest in a Teapot (Teapot Collector Mystery, #1) by Amanda Cooper Tempest in a Teapot by Amanda Cooper there protagonist makes a big deal out of one of the other characters wearing glasses at an event, so much so it really popped for me, and I think that's what I ended up using for that particular task

message 50: by Mary (new)

Mary (mw8019) | 273 comments I just found this one. The Bette Davis Club by Jane Lotter
The MC is wearing glasses right on the cover and in the book when riding in the car she shares with the driver who Is also wearing sunglasses. I just started it, looks good so far!

Mary

« previous 1