The Sword and Laser discussion

All the Birds in the Sky (All the Birds in the Sky, #1)
This topic is about All the Birds in the Sky
2016 Reads > ATBITS: March 2016 Pick: All The Birds In The Sky by Charlie Jane Anders

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6889 comments Mod
I have it on good authority that our March pick will be All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments The title should be "Charlie Jane Anders" not "Andrews".

Brendan (mistershine) | 930 comments I'm really looking forward to reading All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Julie Andrews.

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments Yeah, All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Julian Fellows has been on my list since I heard about it.

Andy (andy_m) | 311 comments Sweet. Now I just need to buy a copy. The library waiting list is 37 deep, at that rate I would get the book sometime in June 2018 - could you all hold off discussing it until then?

message 6: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dara wrote: "The title should be "Charlie Jane Anders" not "Andrews"."

I'll not sure what you mean.

G. Derek Adams Yes! I already have a copy in my TBR pile - for once!

message 8: by Art (new) - rated it 1 star

Art | 190 comments Awesome! I bought a copy of this last month. Now I get to read it without it sitting on my shelf for a year waiting for me to get round to it.

terpkristin | 4188 comments Hmm I've always thought that there was a love affair with io9 in this group but this seems to prove it! ;) :P (kidding)

I'm not sure what to make of the pick....it seems popular lately and has good reviews by people whose opinion I respect. But the description seems kind of sensationalized. And all I can think of when I read "two second time machine" is the One-Minute Time Machine video from the Sploid Short Film Festival. Which I guarantee you is a) PG-13 or maybe R-rated... and b) not related to this book at all.

William | 429 comments This looks good and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Not complaining (too much of that recently) but just my humble thought: There has been a glut of "Fall of Civilisation" laser picks I feel (plus SoS I guess). Can't we have an old fasioned Lasers & Spaceships sometime please? Just to break things up a bit? I know Tom likes "The Expanse" so that shouldn't be too much of a trial for him I imagine.

xGvJx | 22 comments Seriously!!! My library just got this, and since I'm subscribing to early-bird info about everything fantasy and sci-fi that they buy, I borrowed this one. It's sooo pretty! I have borrowed too many books after I started receiving almost-daily emails with lots of tempting titles, but this one has definitely been on top of my reading list. Yaaaay!!! (I have no idea what it's about, and I think I'll keep it that way until I've started reading)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments William wrote: "This looks good and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Not complaining (too much of that recently) but just my humble thought: There has been a glut of "Fall of Civilisation" laser picks I feel (..."

I've been starting to crave optimistic near-future scifi. So not space opera, but something that posits that we will eventually get to the stars. Something between us and Star Trek, at it were.

But All the Birds is getting a lot of attention and I am interested.

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 506 comments Looks interesting - but is this a "laser" pick? Magic seems to feature prominently in the cover blurb!

Not available on Audible unfortunately (in the UK at least). I'll have to find a suitable stopping point in one of my other current reads to accommodate this. I skipped February's book, but have been missing the discussion ...

Kristina | 588 comments I've never even heard of this.. but it sounds interesting!

message 15: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Colin wrote: "Looks interesting - but is this a "laser" pick? Magic seems to feature prominently in the cover blurb!

Not available on Audible unfortunately (in the UK at least). I'll have to find a suitable sto..."

That's too bad Collin. It is on the US audible. I'm considering trying it.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments Perfect. I bought this one sight unseen but haven't started it yet! You can read chapter 1 on tor.com.

message 17: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments I too am looking forward to this pick by Charlie Jane Enders Game.

message 18: by Dara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments I've always liked Charlie Julia Child's work on io9.

message 19: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments Maybe at the end of the month they could have an interview with the author, Charlie June Cleaver.

William | 429 comments I got my hands on a copy, flicked it open and just got sucked straight in. I've only read the first couple of chapters, but I am loving the writing style.

Joanna wrote: "I've been starting to crave optimistic near-future scifi. So not space opera, but something that posits that we will eventually get to the stars."

That's exactly what I was thinking.

John (john) (dowdykitchenman) | 137 comments William wrote: "I got my hands on a copy, flicked it open and just got sucked straight in."

That happened to me when I downloaded the Kindle sample. I may have done a bit of eye-rolling and old-man-grumbling beforehand but 17% in am finding it quite entertaining.

Misti (spookster5) | 487 comments Nice, yet another book that has been on my to-read list.

message 23: by Kevin (last edited Feb 25, 2016 04:43PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments This could have been both Science Fiction or Fantasy pick.

message 24: by Lindsay (last edited Feb 25, 2016 06:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lindsay | 593 comments In fact it's exactly that Kevin, the storyline is basically Fantasy tropes vs Science Fiction tropes.

I thought it was pretty good and I'd definitely read more novels from her, but I think her background as a short fiction author is very evident in her first novel first novel in 10 years? :).

Looking forward to see what you all think of it.

message 26: by Lee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lee | 43 comments Always been a bit of a fan of Charlie Jane Anders writing on io9, didn't realise she'd written a few books.

Sorry I mean Charlie Jerry Anderson, she wrote the book by acting it out with supermarionettes. No that not right either.

Melinda | 4 comments Just picked this up and can't put it down.

Leesa (leesalogic) | 648 comments I went ahead and spent my monthly credit on this new book by Charlie Jane Austen!

message 29: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments I hear Charlie Jade Anders gives good writing tips.

Michele | 1154 comments Charlie Joss Whedon is my favorite writer on io9 - she writes a hell of a good space cowboy memory-snatching vampire slayer story. I snatched this one up as soon as it came out, so I'm glad it's the pick for March.

message 31: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments Charlie Jane Anders ‏@charliejane 4h4 hours ago
@tamahome02000 ha that is hilarious. I hope ppl aren't too put off by the "apocalypse" thing. It's more of a "save the world" sorta thing

message 32: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1157 comments Mod
Michele wrote: "Charlie Joss Whedon is my favorite writer on io9 - she writes a hell of a good space cowboy memory-snatching vampire slayer story. I snatched this one up as soon as it came out, so I'm glad it's th..."

I am literally laughing out loud.

Rob  (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments Is the audiobook worth picking up? I wasn't impressed by the sample, but I may not have time for this otherwise.

message 34: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob Secundus wrote: "Is the audiobook worth picking up? I wasn't impressed by the sample, but I may not have time for this otherwise."

I'm reading it print. Like with paper and everything.

Rob  (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments Goodness gracious, like the pulpy stuff made from trees and/or cotton garments?! They still make that?

message 36: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments The prestigious Coode St. podcast just had a roundtable on Charlie Julie Newmar's novel: http://jonathanstrahan.podbean.com/e/...

message 37: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob Secundus wrote: "Goodness gracious, like the pulpy stuff made from trees and/or cotton garments?! They still make that?"

Yeah it's odd. The display resolution is good but sucks in low light. Battery life is great but apparently it's easily burned? Don't know if I like that for reliability.

message 38: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments And how do you make the font bigger for us old fogeys?

message 39: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tamahome wrote: "And how do you make the font bigger for us old fogeys?"

You can't!
Yeah accessibility is an issue.

Leesa (leesalogic) | 648 comments Rob Secundus wrote: "Is the audiobook worth picking up? I wasn't impressed by the sample, but I may not have time for this otherwise."

I'm listening to it in audiobook and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

message 41: by Ian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ian (imcrawford) | 1 comments Hi all, excellent work sussing out the next pick. I forgot for a moment it was a leap year and was dismayed that the March pick wasn't available on the website.

I'm not familiar with the work of Charlie You Jane Me Tarzan, since I don't follow io9, but I'm eager to jump on the meme bandwagon and to read the book as well.

message 42: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 846 comments I'm also liking the audiobook.

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1339 comments I too like the audio, I know because I am pissed when I reach my destination.

T. Scott (stormingthecastle) | 13 comments I'm in! This has been on my list since I saw it compared to Lev Grossman's The Magicians. I am listening to the audiobook.

Leesa (leesalogic) | 648 comments Stephen wrote: "I too like the audio, I know because I am pissed when I reach my destination."

:D This is one of my measures too. Also: "oh! I have errands to run... yeah... that's the ticket. Errands to run!"

Trike | 8768 comments I thought it was interesting how Charlie John Edwards titled chapters things like, "I'm seeing a character whose name starts with an L..."

From the locked February What Are You Reading thread:

Phil wrote: "Given this and Radiance and a few other laser picks over the last year or two I'm beginning to wonder when science fiction went from being the literature of science geeks to being the literature of artsy hipsters."

1967. See: The New Wave.

Rob  (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments [Insert puppy joke about the gold days of scifi]

Malaraa | 90 comments Tom wrote: "Tamahome wrote: "And how do you make the font bigger for us old fogeys?"

You can't!
Yeah accessibility is an issue."

Well, you can... it's just "sold separately".
The add-ons are where they get ya! ;)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U...

message 49: by Tamahome (last edited Mar 01, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments Ever notice that you can't buy 0.25, 0.50, or 0.75 zoom reading glasses in stores? #conspiracy

message 50: by Sean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean | 353 comments Got the audio version, but I'm going to finish The Three-Body Problem first. I should be done with that by the end of the week.

« previous 1