The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Wheel of Time > TGH: Part 2 (Chapters 7-11)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (last edited Feb 23, 2016 09:48AM) (new)

Bill | 1596 comments Part 2

Please keep all discussion and speculation to the events of Part 2 (Chapters 7-11).

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling this for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later chapters/books. Referring back to events from a previous section/book is fine

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
So Moraine and the Amerlyn Seat are old friends apparently. Some of this might be from chapter 6, but I'm not sure which, so I'm putting it all here. They are colluding on some plan that seems to involve The Dragon Reborn and Moiraine is convinced that's Rand. Whatever their plan is, it seems to be to hide/protect him from the other sisters for some reason, and if they get caught they will be Stilled, which is the name for removing magic from a women (vs. Gentling for male channelers). All and all a pretty interesting chapter.

(I think some of the background of them isn't revealed until New Spring, which is a prequel, but was published between Crossroads of Twilight (10) and Knife of Dreams (11) from the looks of it. So if we read that too, I think we should probably wait until then.)

Random side note: In the audio there is an abrupt shift to end this scene and it goes to the white cloaks with Michael Kramer instead of Kate Reading. I had to look up and see if I screwed up ripping it somehow.

When we come back to Ms. Reading it's now Liandrin. She's a red but I wonder if she's a black. We haven't had much experience with the Red's yet, but she's not bullying a woman with her "secret power" (A power she was told not to use once she got to the White Tower too). I honestly can't remember this either, so I'll have to go look that up as well.

It's kind of nice being able to look stuff up and not worry about spoilers. I may read some chapter summaries to help me along the way, but I'll keep my comments here to things I notice before looking stuff up and don't pick up because it's a reread.

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

More interesting stuff in this section.

First we meet Velin, a Brown sister. Initially we see her and another Brown reading the Trolloc script written in blood on the Keep walls.

Browns seem to be all about knowledge/books. However Velin has figured out Moraine and the Siuan are conspiring to find the dragon. They apparently decide to let her in on their conspiracy rather than kill her. Velin looks to be interested in documenting male channelers. Is that her only motive though?

We then find out Moraine believes Rand to be the Dragon Reborn based on prophecy her and Siuan witnessed when they were still Accepted.

Rand is rightly suspicious about all of it. It seems that they plan to protect him to try to fulfill prophecy and save the world, but are willing to dispose of him after he's served his purpose if they deem him too dangerous.

message 4: by Bill (new)

Bill | 1596 comments Finally got some time to continue this but have no idea where the section ends so going to have to check my kindle version and then comment tomorrow.

message 5: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

I just finished yesterday, but I sort of lost steam on posting in the discussion. I was kind of figuring the both of you gave up on it.

I think Scott did at least.

message 6: by Bill (new)

Bill | 1596 comments I think he did too. I just didn't have any time to read at all this week. Should be able to update a few sections.

That shift in the audio caught me too. Had to switch to kindle to check also.

The discussion between the three Aes Sedai was interested. I wonder if Moraine or the Amerlyn would have truly been able to kill Verin. Verin seems either too naive or unaware to have any other motives than just scholarly but it just be a good act. Moraine knows of missing relations to Lan but never told him. Was surprised as he seemed to be the only one she confided in.

Captain Domon has one of the Aes Sedai seals that I think Moraine came across in the last book and has dark friends after him. The King of Cairhein is either a darkfriend or has them imitating him.

Hurin is a sniffer which sounds like an awful skill to have. Having to smell violence and bloodshed would get old quick.

Rands vision in the town was super creepy. Wonder what caused them and if it was the same thing that killed the Fade.

Poor Rand gets turned on by both his friends when they find out he can channel. I feel like Perrin will come around but Mat will take much longer.

message 7: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Good catch on Domon and the seal.

And yeah I wouldn't want Hurin's ability.

message 8: by Sumant (new)

Sumant | 522 comments I am also doing audio, and it shifted for me too to Jefrem Bornhald's pov. Also the audio chapters are huge in this section, there is lot going on.

Regarding the dark prophecies

1. We come to know that Lanfear is lose and she is called as daughter of night, she had an affair with Arthur Hawking, so Morarine tells Siuan that hopefully she does not do the same to Rand. Also she is the most powerful of forsaken.

2. Lan has surviving family I think named Isam, and Morarine is not telling him because she thinks he will go into the blight to search him.

3.Arthur Hawking armies are said to be returning across the Aryth ocean.

4. Then the cat is out of the bag regarding rand that he is the dragon reborn.

That's all the prophecies I can remember.

we also get history regarding Aiel as that they attacked Carihien and killed the King Lemen for cutting the tree of life.

Padan fain has really become powerful if he can nail a half man to the door.

Last time I did not get all these places but I am able to clearly remember them this time.