Start by marking “New Spring (Wheel of Time, #0)” as Want to Read:
New Spring (Wheel of Time, #0)

New Spring (The Wheel of Time 0)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  64,117 Ratings  ·  1,299 Reviews
The city of Canluum lies close to the scarred and desolate wastes of the Blight, a walled haven from the dangers away to the north, and a refuge from the ill works of those who serve the Dark One. Or so it is said.

The city that greets Al’Lan Mandragoran, exiled king of Malkier and the finest swordsman of his generation, is instead one that is rife with rumour and the whisp
Published December 2nd 2004 by Orbit (first published January 6th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about New Spring, please sign up.
Emma As it's a prequel to the main story, you won't fully understand as many of the references and you'll get less out of it if you read it first. In my…moreAs it's a prequel to the main story, you won't fully understand as many of the references and you'll get less out of it if you read it first. In my opinion, read at least the first few books before you read this one to fully appreciate the back story and more minor characters involved.(less)
Arik Manley You don't. The words in a book are absorbed through your skin by osmosis and in a few minutes time they move through your system right into your brain…moreYou don't. The words in a book are absorbed through your skin by osmosis and in a few minutes time they move through your system right into your brain and thus you receive the prose therein. Looking at the pages is ineffective and people only do it in public because it looks less weird.(less)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

This book gave me FEELINGS . . .

description

. . . few of them good.

For the first time in a WoT reread, I found myself absolutely hating the content.

HATING.

The only reason NEW SPRING didn't get one-starred is b/c there are more than a few poignant Lan moments. But without those . . . *flares nostrils*

The first problem is that the front half to two-thirds of the book is slow as molasses.

Noooooothiiiiiing haaaaaappennnnns.

Well, okay, something happens--Gitara, the same Aes Sedai w
Choko
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 4 ***

A Buddy Read with the best Fantasy Fans at BB&B!!!

A very nice recap of how the search for The Dragon Reborn started and the two Aes Seday who sacrificed much and dedicated their lives to finding and keeping him safe in order to live and be at his strongest at the time of the Last Battle between The Light and the Dark Lord. We also got to see a young Lan , who is wonderful even as a pup. A nice addition, but not an essential one.

I wish you all Happy Reading and find time to enjoy th
Robin (Bridge Four)
1.5 I’m Sorry To Do This Stars

description

Okay hear me out….I totally admit the Robert Jordan has a fantastic and complex world full of intricately detailed world building with cultures, religions and landscaping. But if it takes 60% for your books to go anywhere and you destroy beloved characters along the way I’m totally going to have a problem.

So this is supposed to be an origin story or a prequel to the Wheel of Time series set a little less than 20 years before Eye of the World. The problem with preque
Gavin
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This WoT prequel is the story of how Moiraine and Lan first met and of how Moiraine and Siuan got caught up in all the Dragon Reborn related intrigue. It is set 20 years before the happenings in Eye of the World.

The story was actually better than I was expecting it to be. It was told mostly from Moiraine's POV, but we also got a number of chapters from Lan's POV. It gave both characters plenty of time to shine and I definitely like both of them a lot more after reading their adventures in this
Ryan
Oct 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Sometimes I feel like reading fantasy is just a waste of time. If nothing else, the themes are often distressingly adolescent and no matter how many times I read about slaying dragons, it's pretty unlikely that I'll ever slay a dragon in real life.

Perhaps, for me, the real attraction that sword & sorcery offers is an escape into a world of imagination. It sounds like a corny movie trailer (I'm sure everyone can hear the movie trailer voice when reading "esCApe... into a worlld ... of imagiNA
Phrynne
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read and loved the entire Wheel of Time series so it was fun to read the prequel to the whole affair. I really enjoyed finding out how Moiraine and Lan met and how he became her warder. I also liked all the information about the White Tower and the Aes Sedai. There is nothing in this book that you have to know before enjoying the rest of the series but it is a nice little piece of background information. Loved the ending - it almost made me go and pick up Book 1 to read again.
Claudia
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2nd read

Four years ago, I fell in love with Wheel of Time and read all 15 volumes in less than three months. To this day, it’s still my number One series.

Some say this prequel should be read in publication order, as it was written after Crossroads of Twilight, which is the 10th. Well, I started with it and it helped a lot with the intricacies of Aes Sedai schemes and the relationship between some of its main characters; it also sheds light on the Foretelling of the Dragon Reborn. But if you want
Evgeny
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The plot of this book can be summarized in the following two sentences. Moiraine and Siuan Sanche learn a great secret while still being Accepted in the White Tower. Moiraine meets Lan. There are much more than these events in the prequel and some more familiar faces appear than the ones I already mentioned.

I gave this book 5 stars initially, but I was sure I would lower the rating to 4 stars after I read this tale for the second time. To my complete surprise I realized that is still worth 5 sta
Hasham Rasool
"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again.

What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow."

Some readers may confuse because Some readers read this novel before 'The Eye of the World' because it is a prequel story of 'The Wheel of Time'. Some readers read this novel after 'Crossroads of Twilight' because of the publish order. Some reade
Nicole
Jun 25, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fiction lovers with stamina
I read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan because both my husband and best friend had read them. The best friend highly encouraged me to read the books - my husband warned me off.

The warning is not because the books are bad. The first few, actually, are very good. Great character development, interesting universe for those who love fantasy novels.

The warning is because these books never, ever, ever are going to end. Ever.

There are so far 12 books (including a prequel that came out somewhe
New Spring is technically a prequel to the Wheel of Time series (it's about events that occurred approximately 20 years before The Eye of the World) but I was advised to read it after book 10, Crossroads of Twilight, to avoid accidental spoilers. I'm not sure there were any major spoilers hidden in here but it definitely gives you an idea about which of the Aes Sedai can and can't be trusted so I can see why I was told to hold off on reading it until this point in the series.

I'm really torn abou
OhWell
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, magic, wot
A pleasure. I enjoyed it more than the later books in the main series, way more than Crossroads of Twilight for example.
Beste
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I feel like I should've read this after like 2nd or 3rd book. This filler book seems a little embellished but empty somehow. Liked the overall story though.
Ashley
Okay, so, two and a half star book, for me. I waffled between two and three stars for ages, but I'm going with two, I think, for a couple of reasons. One, what is the arc here? It's sort of Moiraine becoming a real Aes Sedai, but there isn't really any emotional development on her part. She is the same person before she passes the test for the shawl as she is after. I liked that person for the first half, then she did some questionable shit, and I stopped feeling so charitably towards her.

Plus,
Andreas
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, reviewed, fantasy, owned
This novel is the prequel to the Wheel of Time series. It describes the coming-of-age of Moiraine Damodred and Siuan Sanche as Aes Sedai and how Moiraine and how al'Lan Mandragoran came to be Moiraine's Warder.

I've read the last book of the Wheel of Time, A Memory of Light, back in January 2013. This was 22 years after I read the first novel in the series. Quite a journey for 14 novels, hum? Though I consider myself a light fan of this series, I never have read the short story New Spring when Ro
Doğan
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
5 / 3.5
C.P. Cabaniss
Maybe 2.5 stars. I'm not entirely sure.

This started out very promising. Moiraine and Siuan were young and learning about the Dragon Reborn. It had all the makings of a fascinating story. And then it fell flat.

The first couple of chapters were exciting and had me really invested. Then the story became about Moiraine and Siuan in the Tower, and while I found some of this interesting, I didn't find it all that relevant. There was enough of Tower politics given in the main series, we didn't need q
aPriL does feral sometimes
Prequel 'New Spring', a short book written after book ten in the 'Wheel of Time' series, is the story of how Moiraine Damodred and Siuan Sanche became Aes Sedai. It also relates how Lan Mandragoran met Moiraine. It explains why they decided to find the 'Dragon Reborn.' I have finished the entire series, and I can say reading this book out of order will not hurt a reader's enjoyment of the main series at all. It does fill in some history. However, the reader will not find this novel as exciting a ...more
Scott  Hitchcock
There are no beginnings or endings in the wheel of time but this is an ending. The prequel was the only book I hadn't read (listened to). It was enjoyable. Kramer and Reading are just two of the best narrators out there. The book itself while classic wheel of time was disappointing. There wasn't anything new of note and the first 60% was all white tower not Moraine and Lan off figuring out things about the Dragon.

If you're a WOT fan, and I am but see it's many flaws keeping it from being the GO
Sotiris Karaiskos
Moirane, Lan and Siuan are three of the most important characters in the whole of the Wheel of Time, but we mainly watch their course from a distance, with the writer very rarely giving us their own perspective and thus a closer look to their thoughts and to their feelings. This omission is somehow corrected by this book that is also taking us the beginning of the story.

There we meet Moiraine at an earlier age as an Accepted in the White Tower, shortly before gain the title of Aes Sedai, along w
Angie
Jan 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who have read at least the first few books of the WoT series
Roberta Jayne
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
3.5 stars. Thought I'd better read this prequel before finishing the last book in the Wheel Of Time series, especially because I feel like it's important to know how Moiraine, Lan and Siuan started out and how they met etc.

This was a great story overall, helped mostly by the fact that Siuan and Moiraine are brilliant characters through and through. I was really surprised that we went as far back to see them being raised to Aes Sedai. Would've loved to see more of The White Tower a bit later up t
Emerson
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lidos-em-2016
New Spring se passa durante o final da Guerra dos Aiel, cerca de 20 anos antes de O Olho do Mundo. O livro mostra Moiraine e Siuan como aceitas enquanto estudavam na Torre Branca para se tornarem Aes Sedai. Mesmo quando aceitas, as duas já haviam iniciado a busca pela criança profetizada, o Dragão Renascido. O livro também trás alguns capítulos sobre Lan, futuro guardião de Moiraine.

Essa prequel me agradou bastante. O livro nos trás bastante informação sobre as Aes Sedai e a Torre Branca, nos mo
Κωνσταντίνος Τσουρέκης
"Only a fool believe women less dangerous than men, but women often seemed to think men fools when it came to women." Μια από τις καλύτερες φράσεις του βιβλίου. Με έκανε να θυμηθώ μια ομιλία για fantasy και φεμινισμό όπου ο Robert Jordan θεωρήθηκε εχθρός του φεμινισμού. Τέτοιες φράσεις διαψεύδουν αυτή την άποψη.

Το Νew Spring είναι το βιβλίο όπου ουσιαστικά μαθαίνουμε την ιστορία της νεαρής Moiraine Damodred και του Lan Al'Madragoran. Τον τρόπο που το αγαπημένο ζευγάρι του Wheel of time ενώθηκε
Dawn
Jul 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2012
I'm writing my review after having read this book for the third time. This was the first time I read it before reading any of the other books in the series (I couldn't wait until January, I had to start getting my WoT on now, so I'm doing a complete re-read).

I just have to say... I feels so good to hop back into this world. This isn't my favorite of the series by far, but I feel like it's a great addition nonetheless. For new readers you should definitely save this until later in the series eve
YouKneeK
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New Spring is a prequel novel in the Wheel of Time series. It fleshes out several bits of back story that are provided throughout the first several books. I think I’m just going to stop there as far as explaining what it’s about. People familiar with the series can probably guess part of it just from looking at the cover, at least the cover for my edition, but the book was about a lot more than that and (slight spoiler) (view spoiler) ...more
Alex Ristea
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This prequel wasn't about what I thought it was going to be, but it managed to be a fun read.

My favourite part was seeing Moiraine and Siuan in their younger years, acting as only children can. A perfect contrast to the stern Aes Sedai we've come to love.

I'm not sure how important the events in this book were to the overall series, but for character development I give it an A+.

Eduarda
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Livro com POV da Moiraine? Não tem como ser ruim!
Depois desse livro passei a gostar ainda mais da Ajah Azul. Agora não tenho mais dúvida sobre qual Ajah eu seria.
E que venha o The Fires of Heaven! Torcendo pra que a Moiraine apareça mais. Senti falta dela no TSR.
Maria Dimitrova
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Buddy Read with the WoT fans of BB&B.

This is a hard book to review. It's recommended to read this book after Winter's Heart or Crossroads of Twilight because it gives to much spoilers otherwise. It's what I did and the fact that I read it after reading 10 books of the series has coloured the way I look at things. In a way this scratches an itch I didn't even know about, because it gives a look at life in the White Tower. It's fascinating and depressing at the same time. Depressing because
  • Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth, #0.5)
  • Dust of Dreams (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #9)
  • Straken (High Druid of Shannara, #3)
  • Silverthorn (The Riftwar Saga, #3)
  • Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow #7; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #4)
  • Elven Star (The Death Gate Cycle, #2)
  • The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4)
  • Legends
  • The Chaos Balance (The Saga of Recluce #7)
  • Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)

Fiction Deals

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Birth House
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Open City
    $12.99 $1.99
“He was swimming in a sea of other people’s expectations. Men had drowned in seas like that.” 216 likes
“The only way was forward, whatever lay at the end.” 24 likes