Start by marking “New Spring (The Wheel of Time, #0)” as Want to Read:
New Spring (The Wheel of Time, #0)

New Spring

(The Wheel of Time #0)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  75,445 ratings  ·  1,672 reviews
The city of Canluum lies close to the scarred and desolate wastes of the Blight, a walled haven from the dangers away to the north, and a refuge from the ill works of those who serve the Dark One. Or so it is said.

The city that greets Al’Lan Mandragoran, exiled king of Malkier and the finest swordsman of his generation, is instead one that is rife with rumour and the whisp
Published December 2nd 2004 by Orbit (first published January 6th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about New Spring, please sign up.
Tracy Not that you haven't already read what you will read, but should others wonder the same, I'd emphatically state that no, you should not.

One of the mai…more

One of the main charms of The Wheel of Time is the mystery, unknowns and half-truths and questions. If you have read this story, you no longer have the ambiguity of feeling towards a few of the main characters. Your doubts are silenced. You read with frustration rather than fear and anxiety, and begin the books not as a confused youth following others into danger, but as a wise looker-on. Where is the fun?

Additionally, this book has about 1/5 the pace of the first couple WoT novels. The initial pacing is intoxicating and pulls you through many duller volumes. This book is not a headlong flight into confusion, but more a detailed snapshot of a small moment that you only come to care deeply about once invested in the characters. Furthermore, the structure of the book is weak. One character is introduced and then disappears for half of the book, before all of the characters are finally united.

I enjoyed it, but only because I had read the others before it.(less)
Su It has fairly simple language complicated by the fact that there are constant references to Old Tongue sayings/terms and also catchphrases/terms from …moreIt has fairly simple language complicated by the fact that there are constant references to Old Tongue sayings/terms and also catchphrases/terms from every language and culture in the world, and there are quite a few, and some have their own old phrases which may be corruptions of other languages or old tongue words. Much like english has stolen and corrupted words form every other language.

The beginning reader will soon be buried under cryptic references like Daes Dae'mar, Dai Shan, Aes Sedai, gaidin, saidar, saidin, Tel’aran’rhiod, aiel, da’covale, a'dam, etc etc. And there are hundreds like this.

It's quite like how educated people of the 18th-19th century were fluent in multiple continental languages and interspersed their writing with latin, greek, french, german and italian words or quotes from classic writers in those languages.

Each term is introduced and explained in the text but a glossary is required and included in the first book. You might also need an online resource, but be careful of spoilers if your eyes wander!
https://www.tor.com/2016/12/20/the-wh... (can be used in reverse)

Think of it a little like the secret language of Potterverse/Wizarding World fans, but amped up quite a bit so it's some work to learn them. That said the terms are unique to this world and once you do learn them you'll soon be sorting your ter'angreals from your angreals from your sa'angreals as you contemplate toh using ko'di. :)

Edit: Spelling and clarification(less)

·  75,445 ratings  ·  1,672 reviews

Start your review of New Spring (The Wheel of Time, #0)
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

This book gave me FEELINGS . . .

description

. . . few of them good.

For the first time in a WoT reread, I found myself absolutely hating the content.

HATING.

The only reason NEW SPRING didn't get one-starred is b/c there are more than a few poignant Lan moments. But without those . . . *flares nostrils*

The first problem is that the front half to two-thirds of the book is slow as molasses.

Noooooothiiiiiing haaaaaappennnnns.

Well, okay, something happens--Gitara, the same Aes Sed
Robin (Bridge Four)
1.5 I’m Sorry To Do This Stars

description

Okay hear me out….I totally admit the Robert Jordan has a fantastic and complex world full of intricately detailed world building with cultures, religions and landscaping. But if it takes 60% for your books to go anywhere and you destroy beloved characters along the way I’m totally going to have a problem.

So this is supposed to be an origin story or a prequel to the Wheel of Time series set a little less than 20 years before Eye of the World. The problem with preque
Choko
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 4 ***

A Buddy Read with the best Fantasy Fans at BB&B!!!

A very nice recap of how the search for The Dragon Reborn started and the two Aes Seday who sacrificed much and dedicated their lives to finding and keeping him safe in order to live and be at his strongest at the time of the Last Battle between The Light and the Dark Lord. We also got to see a young Lan , who is wonderful even as a pup. A nice addition, but not an essential one.

I wish you all Happy Reading and find time to enjoy the go
Markus
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Side by side they rode down the hill and turned south. Behind them the sky rumbled and turned black, another late storm rolling down from the Blight.

Beautiful. I didn't realise how much I missed Jordan's writing until I got into it again. I've been saving this book for a long time, but finally had to give in and read it. Not a bad decision.

This is not the best Wheel of Time book, and I'd say only devoted fans who have read at least most of the main series should even consider it, but I found
Gavin
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This WoT prequel is the story of how Moiraine and Lan first met and of how Moiraine and Siuan got caught up in all the Dragon Reborn related intrigue. It is set 20 years before the happenings in Eye of the World.

The story was actually better than I was expecting it to be. It was told mostly from Moiraine's POV, but we also got a number of chapters from Lan's POV. It gave both characters plenty of time to shine and I definitely like both of them a lot more after reading their adventures in this
Ryan
Oct 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Sometimes I feel like reading fantasy is just a waste of time. If nothing else, the themes are often distressingly adolescent and no matter how many times I read about slaying dragons, it's pretty unlikely that I'll ever slay a dragon in real life.

Perhaps, for me, the real attraction that sword & sorcery offers is an escape into a world of imagination. It sounds like a corny movie trailer (I'm sure everyone can hear the movie trailer voice when reading "esCApe... into a worlld ... of imagiNAtion
Evgeny
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The plot of this book can be summarized in the following two sentences. Moiraine and Siuan Sanche learn a great secret while still being Accepted in the White Tower. Moiraine meets Lan. There are much more than these events in the prequel and some more familiar faces appear than the ones I already mentioned.

I gave this book 5 stars initially, but I was sure I would lower the rating to 4 stars after I read this tale for the second time. To my complete surprise I realized that is still worth 5 sta
Phrynne
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read and loved the entire Wheel of Time series so it was fun to read the prequel to the whole affair. I really enjoyed finding out how Moiraine and Lan met and how he became her warder. I also liked all the information about the White Tower and the Aes Sedai. There is nothing in this book that you have to know before enjoying the rest of the series but it is a nice little piece of background information. Loved the ending - it almost made me go and pick up Book 1 to read again.
Hasham Rasool
"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again.

What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow."

Some readers may confuse because Some readers read this novel before 'The Eye of the World' because it is a prequel story of 'The Wheel of Time'. Some readers read this novel after 'Crossroads of Twilight' because of the publication order. Some r
Claudia
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2nd read

Four years ago, I fell in love with Wheel of Time and read all 15 volumes in less than three months. To this day, it’s still my number One series.

Some say this prequel should be read in publication order, as it was written after Crossroads of Twilight, which is the 10th. Well, I started with it and it helped a lot with the intricacies of Aes Sedai schemes and the relationship between some of its main characters; it also sheds light on the Foretelling of the Dragon Reborn. But if you want
Nicole
Jun 25, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fiction lovers with stamina
I read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan because both my husband and best friend had read them. The best friend highly encouraged me to read the books - my husband warned me off.

The warning is not because the books are bad. The first few, actually, are very good. Great character development, interesting universe for those who love fantasy novels.

The warning is because these books never, ever, ever are going to end. Ever.

There are so far 12 books (including a prequel that came out somewhe
Sotiris Karaiskos
Moirane, Lan and Siuan are three of the most important characters in the whole of the Wheel of Time, but we mainly watch their course from a distance, with the writer very rarely giving us their own perspective and thus a closer look to their thoughts and to their feelings. This omission is somehow corrected by this book that is also taking us the beginning of the story.

There we meet Moiraine at an earlier age as an Accepted in the White Tower, shortly before gain the title of Aes Sedai, along w
This book is currently Tor's ebook of the month and you can download a copy for free from their website here: https://ebookclub.tor.com/
It's only available until 11:59 PM ET on September 20th 2019 so grab it quick if you want it!

New Spring is technically a prequel to the Wheel of Time series (it's about events that occurred approximately 20 years before The Eye of the World) but I was advised to read it after book 10, Crossroads of Twilight, to avoid accidental spoilers. I'm not sure there were
Beste
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I feel like I should've read this after like 2nd or 3rd book. This filler book seems a little embellished but empty somehow. Liked the overall story though.
Gary Sundell
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The expanded version of the novella first published in the first Legends anthology. This is my third reading, although this time it was a listen. I first read it in Legends, then I read the hardcover upon its release. Now I listened to the audio version. Well presented.

♥♫☻Olivia☻♫♥
Mike's Book Reviews
Full Video Review Here: https://youtu.be/3OO9C1752BI

There has been a lot of debate from "Wheelies" on exactly when I should have read New Spring, but I decided after Crossroads of Twilight was the best time before beginning the final arc in this series. All I knew was that I didn't want to read it at the end because I want A Memory of Light to be my final impression of this world.

This is the story of not only how Lan became Moiraine's Warder, but also chronicles her time as Accepted and the orig
Andreas
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, owned, fantasy, reviewed
This novel is the prequel to the Wheel of Time series. It describes the coming-of-age of Moiraine Damodred and Siuan Sanche as Aes Sedai and how Moiraine and how al'Lan Mandragoran came to be Moiraine's Warder.

I've read the last book of the Wheel of Time, A Memory of Light, back in January 2013. This was 22 years after I read the first novel in the series. Quite a journey for 14 novels, hum? Though I consider myself a light fan of this series, I never have read the short story New Spring when Ro
C.P. Cabaniss
Maybe 2.5 stars. I'm not entirely sure.

This started out very promising. Moiraine and Siuan were young and learning about the Dragon Reborn. It had all the makings of a fascinating story. And then it fell flat.

The first couple of chapters were exciting and had me really invested. Then the story became about Moiraine and Siuan in the Tower, and while I found some of this interesting, I didn't find it all that relevant. There was enough of Tower politics given in the main series, we didn't need q
Giota
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Hardcore WoT fans claim this is half as good as the lesser WoT books and if that's true there's a slight possibility I might like WoT better that 'The Song of Ice and Fire', which at the moment is, in my humble opinion, the best fantasy book.

New Spring was clearly setting up the world so the first half of it was both uneventful and lectury, a recipe for boring, but once Moiraine got on the road things really picked up. I can't wait to see more of her and Lan, they are such complex, deep and myst
Aiden Anderson
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read the rest of the series beforehand, but skipped this prequel. Loved being back in the WoT world! It wasn't the best of the series (and I wasn't expecting it to be), but it was fun seeing many of the characters when they were younger and to read Jordan's writing again!

Image from the WoT graphic novel series.

Image from the book.
OhWell
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, magic, wot
A pleasure. I enjoyed it more than the later books in the main series, way more than Crossroads of Twilight for example. ...more
Ashley
Okay, so, two and a half star book, for me. I waffled between two and three stars for ages, but I'm going with two, I think, for a couple of reasons. One, what is the arc here? It's sort of Moiraine becoming a real Aes Sedai, but there isn't really any emotional development on her part. She is the same person before she passes the test for the shawl as she is after. I liked that person for the first half, then she did some questionable shit, and I stopped feeling so charitably towards her.

Plus,
Sud666
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The New Spring is a prequel to the massive Wheel of Time series. I've already read the first and second book in the series, so I thought I may as well stick this prequel in due to chronological order. I'm glad I did.

The story revolves around the story of Moiraine Damodred and Siuan Sanche, both young Accepted who seek to become Aes Sedai sisters. It is also the story of Lan the Warder and how he became a Warder and met Moiraine.

The book is a great look into the training required to become an Ae
aPriL does feral sometimes
Prequel 'New Spring', a short book written after book ten in the 'Wheel of Time' series, is the story of how Moiraine Damodred and Siuan Sanche became Aes Sedai. It also relates how Lan Mandragoran met Moiraine. It explains why they decided to find the 'Dragon Reborn.' I have finished the entire series, and I can say reading this book out of order will not hurt a reader's enjoyment of the main series at all. It does fill in some history. However, the reader will not find this novel as exciting a ...more
Scott  Hitchcock
There are no beginnings or endings in the wheel of time but this is an ending. The prequel was the only book I hadn't read (listened to). It was enjoyable. Kramer and Reading are just two of the best narrators out there. The book itself while classic wheel of time was disappointing. There wasn't anything new of note and the first 60% was all white tower not Moraine and Lan off figuring out things about the Dragon.

If you're a WOT fan, and I am but see it's many flaws keeping it from being the GO
Angie
Jan 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who have read at least the first few books of the WoT series
Roberta Jayne
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
3.5 stars. Thought I'd better read this prequel before finishing the last book in the Wheel Of Time series, especially because I feel like it's important to know how Moiraine, Lan and Siuan started out and how they met etc.

This was a great story overall, helped mostly by the fact that Siuan and Moiraine are brilliant characters through and through. I was really surprised that we went as far back to see them being raised to Aes Sedai. Would've loved to see more of The White Tower a bit later up t
Dawn
Jul 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012, fantasy
I'm writing my review after having read this book for the third time. This was the first time I read it before reading any of the other books in the series (I couldn't wait until January, I had to start getting my WoT on now, so I'm doing a complete re-read).

I just have to say... I feels so good to hop back into this world. This isn't my favorite of the series by far, but I feel like it's a great addition nonetheless. For new readers you should definitely save this until later in the series eve

• New Spring: The Graphic Novel
  • The Wheel of Time Roleplaying Game
  • Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth, #0.5)
  • The Alloy of Law Excerpt: Prologue - Chapter 6
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3)
  • Elantris (Elantris, #1)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)
  • The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • Silverthorn (The Riftwar Saga, #3)
  • Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1)
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
  • White Sand, Volume 3 (White Sand, #3)
  • The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel, Volume One

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (The Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (The Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (The Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (The Wheel of Time, #10)