Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more's Reviews > The Great Hunt

The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan

bookshelves: fantasy, not-your-ordinary-creatures, favorite-secondary-characters, some-kinda-magic, cover-whore, book-outlet
Recommended for: The WHOLE world.
Read 5 times. Last read March 6, 2015 to March 8, 2015.

2/1/16: Day 1 of WoT #2 buddy (re)read in BB&B !

We're only reading one book per month, so if you want to jump in, you've got plenty of time to squeeze in The Eye of the World and still participate.

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

NOTICE: this reread is in preparation for finally biting the bullet and reading book 14. That means I HAVE NOT read book 14 yet. Please be mindful of this in the comments, both for me and for others who may or may not have progressed past this point in the series. Thank you.

For whatever reason, this is the installment that's held up the least well for me. Not b/c it's not awesome--it absolutely is--but b/c even MORE awesomeness is IMMINENT.

And I know it (b/c fiendish rereader).

SO. We have a Dragon Reborn and a Wolfbrother, but what's behind door #3? *raises hand* b/c I know, I know! *sighs*

The Great Hunt is a concept that can be found in numerous mythologies, but (not surprisingly) my favorite versions have always been the ones with Fae roots.

If you're unfamiliar, it's fairly simple: if the moon is particularly bright, and you hear a horn sounding in the distance, DO NOT LEAVE THE SAFETY OF YOUR HOME. B/c Fae on horses-that-don't-get-tired with hounds-that-have-super-senses (and may or may not have been human at some point), are out and about, hunting "big game" and NO GOOD can come of you getting caught up in that shit.

Jordan's version is pretty nifty too.

The Horn of Valere, prophecied to be found (just?) before the Last Battle, will call the greatest heroes who have ever lived to fight on behalf of the horn-sounder . . . whatever their intent may be . . .

YES, you read that correctly. The greatest heroes of legend will be compelled to fight for either good or evil, depending on who gets their grubby lips on it first.

So that's exciting.

Which is kind of impressive if you think about it: a hunt for a brass instrument vs. a hunt for human prey?

But yeah:

" . . . for the grave is no bar to my call."

*goosebumps*

BUT. If I'm being honest, there are a couple of legitimate reasons that I didn't like this installment quite as much as the last one. You know, beyond being impatient for my favorite character to stop being an adolescent idiot.

Like Lanfear.

One of Forsaken, Lanfear has been used as a boogieman to scare children into behaving (a concept that I find horrific, incidentally . . . Does anyone actually do that? Tell their children that some super scary monster-person will get them while they're sleeping, if they don't do as they're told? I sincerely hope not . . .). Anyway, this early in the series, the Forsaken are mostly feared for nebulous follower-of-the-Dark-One reasons.

However . . . we do learn a few things about Lanfear:

1. Before Lews Therin (the Dragon) met and married his wife Ilyena, Lanfear had been his lover.
2. Ultimately . . . the reason she joined the dark side is b/c hell hath no fury . . . YES, seriously . . .

And she wants him back.

Does not care that the Dragon Reborn is a completely different, maybe twenty-years-old model, when she herself probably had a couple of centuries under her belt before she was sealed inside the Dark One's prison for several thousand years.

If that wasn't obnoxious enough--and trust me, it is--she still hasn't figured out that it was her obsession with power and acquiring ALL OF IT that drove Lews Therin away the first time.

So we get to watch her numerous failed attempts to entice Dragon Reborn into seeking glory for himself.

It's just sad.

I mean, really . . . how can she claim to love him, yet willfully know nothing about him?

Then there are the Seanchan . . . and the Seanchan freak me the hell out.

Besides practicing numerous and varied types of slavery, which shows a terrifying lack of regard for human life . . . These people aren't just ethnocentric, they're an entire population brainwashed into wholeheartedly believing in the superiority of specific types of people and the inferiority of others . . . o.O

Right. So in addition to that, they've tamed monsters (like grolm: bear-sized, three-eyed beasts with grayish green, lizard-like, impossible to penetrate with things like swords or arrows, hide, and sharp, hooked beak-like mouths) to the point of riding them like horses.

And what do they wear when they ride their pet monsters?

Metal armor lacquered and segmented to look like an insect carapace . . . to better match the mandibles and feelers on their helmets . . .

Ye gods.

I don't know about you guys, but I can't come up with a scarier image than a GIANT INSECT riding some kind of prehistoric-looking monster into battle. Oh, and the ground might just swallow you whole before you even get a chance to defend yourself, b/c wielders of the One Power? Yeah, they're one of the MANY previously mentioned enslaved people groups.

description

Still a fantastic installment though. PLUS, *whispers* I may not have mentioned it, but WoT #3 brings ALL KINDS of awesome, so gird your loins, little fishy . . . and keep on swimmin'.

Jessica Signature

My other reviews for this series:

The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) by Robert Jordan

Insight:

Musings:

It makes me laugh:

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Hunt.

Quotes Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Liked

Robert Jordan
“There is one rule, above all others, for being a man. Whatever comes, face it on your feet.”

Robert Jordan
“Women often seemed to leave things unsaid, and in his limited experience it was what they did not say that proved the most trouble.”

Robert Jordan
“The people seemed nearly ostentatious about minding their own business.”

Robert Jordan
“A pig painted gold is still a pig.”

Robert Jordan
“There was a wild light in his eyes. "Bring your lightnings, Aes Sedai. I will dance with them.”

Robert Jordan
“Well, I can admire stubbornness in a man. There is little to a man who's too easily biddable.”

Robert Jordan
“The Light shine on you, and the Creator shelter you. The last embrace of the mother welcome you home.”

Robert Jordan
“Knowing serves no real purpose, but then, neither does not knowing. Myself, I always prefer knowing to not.”
tags: verin

August 31, 2012 – Shelved
March 6, 2015 – Started Reading
March 8, 2015 – Finished Reading
March 21, 2015 –
4.0% ""What are you doing?" he demanded when he caught his breath. "Those are my clothes!" One of the women sniffed an poked a finger through a tear in the sleeve of his only coat, then added it to the pile on the floor."
March 21, 2015 –
19.0% "As they approached the women’s apartments, Lan suddenly snapped, “Cat Crosses the Courtyard!” \n Startled, Rand instinctively assumed the walking stance as he had been taught, back straight but every muscle loose, as if he hung from a wire at the top of his head. It was a relaxed, almost arrogant, saunter.\n \n LAWD, I love Lan."
March 21, 2015 –
24.0% "The talk was soft, but Domon caught mentions of the Hunt, and of the false Dragon the Murandians had taken, and of the one the Tairens were chasing through Haddon Mirk. There seemed to be some question whether it would be preferable to see the false Dragon die, or the Tairens.\n \n LOL."
March 21, 2015 –
35.0% "Verin glanced at Perrin, and he shifted uneasily. “A new sniffer, just when you lose your old one. How . . . providential.""
March 21, 2015 –
57.0% "The street was empty save for one of the big puppets, a goat-horned Trolloc with a sword at its belt, coming toward them with five men working the poles, but sounds of merriment drifted still from other parts of the Foregate, where the halls of entertainment and the taverns stood. Here, doors were already barred and windows shuttered."
March 21, 2015 –
89.0% "Mat joined them, and a few moments later Hurin came with Perrin. Mat wore baggy trousers stuffed into the tops of his boots, and Perrin his too- short cloak. Rand thought they all looked like villainous beggars, but they had all passed largely unnoticed in the villages."

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)

message 1: by Brightness (new) - added it

Brightness I've been wanting to start this series for awhile now.

message 2: by Andrew (last edited Mar 20, 2015 10:36AM) (new) - added it

Andrew Definitely, I have to continue this series, this is the next book for me. Your review intrigues me!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Karlee wrote: "I've been wanting to start this series for awhile now."

It's a great series. I highly recommend it.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Andrew wrote: "Definitely, I have to continue this series, this is the next book for me. Your review intrigues me!"

Thanks, Andrew! And I think you can tell . . . I definitely think this series is worth continuing ;)

message 5: by Brightness (new) - added it

Brightness Jessica (Rabid Reads) wrote: "Karlee wrote: "I've been wanting to start this series for awhile now."

It's a great series. I highly recommend it."

I'm looking forward to it!

Robin (Bridge Four) Ah....I want to read this series now but I need to wait. I know I'll get sucked in so I'll do the entire series in 2016. Totally looks right up my alley though.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Yeah, waiting until you have the time is definitely a good plan. It completely sucks you in. The first time I read it, I got the worse grades of my college career that semester, LOL.

Robin (Bridge Four) Jessica (Rabid Reads) wrote: "Yeah, waiting until you have the time is definitely a good plan. It completely sucks you in. The first time I read it, I got the worse grades of my college career that semester, LOL."

lol...noted.

message 9: by Cristina (new)

Cristina I want to seriously read this and I will. I'm guessing these books are ridiculously long, sooooo I need to carve out a few months to dedicate to them. :)

Conor Great review Jessica.

imo The thing about Lanfear that kind of explained her creepy stalker behavior was that she never actually loved Lews Therin/Rand but rather the power that came with him. Remember the part where she tries to convince him to use those super-powered statue things to usurp the creator? Based on that plus the descriptions of her she pretty much breaks the hot-crazy scale.

Yeah Rand and Mat were both really annoying and immature in this one. It frustrated me the first time I was reading it and it would probably be worse of I read it again. That being said Rand's alternate-reality experiences in the portal stones were awesome (the alternate-reality concept was really intriguing in the first few books and then just got dropped, which was weird) and the end when (view spoiler) was steak sauce.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Cristina wrote: "I want to seriously read this and I will. I'm guessing these books are ridiculously long, sooooo I need to carve out a few months to dedicate to them. :)"

MONTHS. Yes. But you will LOVE them, I know it ;)

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Mat Cauthon. That is all.

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Do I see a BR on the horizon Robin?

Robin (Bridge Four) Eon (Windrunner) wrote: "Do I see a BR on the horizon Robin?"

O.o....why yes we could BR the series. Have you read it before Eon?

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Conor wrote: "Great review Jessica.

I didn't look at your spoiler b/c I didn't know if you were talking about the end, the end or the last three books in general. As for the other stuff:

I definitely agree that Lanfear didn't truly love Lews Therin. She's like Fernand from THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO. Spoiled and entitled and loses her mind when she's told "No." She's a selfish little girl, and I HATE HER (can you tell?). BUT. I do think she loved him as much as she was capable of love, and selfish as that love was, there was more to it than power. She just loved power more, and kept trying to change Lews Therin to suit her purposes. And that's one of the many reasons she lost him.

Mat is annoyingly immature, but for me Rand more naive than adolescent. I actually liked him more in the first couple of books than in any of the others. Jordan did an excellent job with him: giving us enough insight into his character to care what happens to him even after he becomes . . . tiresome. But Jordan kept people around him who brought out the Rand we met in EotW, so we had enough reminders to put up with him the rest of the time. That and there were plenty of targets for our legitimate hatred ;)

And yes, the portal stones, and the Ways . . . very compelling stuff.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Eon (Windrunner) wrote: "Mat Cauthon. That is all."

YAAAAAASSSSS.

Mat Cauthon might be my favorite character OF ALL TIME. Seriously, I was with friends at Dragon Con last year, and this guy dressed like Mat (with the hat, spear, scarf, in the green coat, everything it was EPIC), walked by across the food court, and I was like, "MAT! Mat Cauthon!!" yelling and waving like a mad person, but I didn't even care, b/c MAT CAUTHON.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Robin wrote: "Eon (Windrunner) wrote: "Do I see a BR on the horizon Robin?"

O.o....why yes we could BR the series. Have you read it before Eon?"

I would stalk the HELL out of that BR.

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Robin wrote: "Eon (Windrunner) wrote: "Do I see a BR on the horizon Robin?"

O.o....why yes we could BR the series. Have you read it before Eon?"

Yes I have. Its awesome. BR we shall!

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Jessica (Rabid Reads) wrote: "Eon (Windrunner) wrote: "Mat Cauthon. That is all."

YAAAAAASSSSS.

LOL! My favourite WOT character too.

message 20: by Cristina (new)

Cristina Jessica (Rabid Reads) wrote: "Cristina wrote: "I want to seriously read this and I will. I'm guessing these books are ridiculously long, sooooo I need to carve out a few months to dedicate to them. :)"

MONTHS. Yes. But you ..."

And I don't doubt it...2016 has WoT written all over it. ♥

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more *eyes calendar* *huffs impatiently* *twiddles thumbs*

I KID. Mostly. ;)

Robin (Bridge Four) Eon (Windrunner) wrote: "Robin wrote: "Eon (Windrunner) wrote: "Do I see a BR on the horizon Robin?"

O.o....why yes we could BR the series. Have you read it before Eon?"

Yes I have. Its awesome. BR we shall!"

Yay! 2016 is WoT buddy read. Maybe Athena will play with us too :)

Conor Jessica (Rabid Reads) wrote: "Conor wrote: "Great review Jessica.

Don't worry the spoiler is only for this book.

I found Rand legits unbearable the first time I read this. I might appreciate him more on a re-read now that I realize that Jordan wasn't trying to create an actual 3-D believable character but was just setting up a perfect, honest, hard-working, humble hero to mess with for the rest of the series.

Mat was a massive knob in this and it annoyed me that he never really apologized to Rand. He's still one of my all-time favourite characters though.

Rachel Reads Ravenously Awesome review Jessica!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Conor wrote: "Jessica (Rabid Reads) wrote: "Conor wrote: "Great review Jessica.

Anything pre-Healing doesn't count to me, LOL.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Rachel ♥Reads Ravenously♥ wrote: "Awesome review Jessica!"

Thanks, Rachel!

message 27: by Andrea (new)

Andrea This has been on my to read list for so long!

message 28: by Kels (new)

Kels Fabulous review as always, Jessica!! My ever expanding TBR list thanks you!! :D

The UHQ Nasanta I have not yet read the last book myself. I tried. I found the writing style too different and off-putting. :(

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Andrea wrote: "This has been on my to read list for so long!"

No time like the present ;)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Kelly wrote: "Fabulous review as always, Jessica!! My ever expanding TBR list thanks you!! :D"

Thanks, Kelly!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more The UHQ Nasanta wrote: "I have not yet read the last book myself. I tried. I found the writing style too different and off-putting. :("

I thought #13 showed significant improvement from #12. I was just hanging back b/c CHICKEN. But NO MORE ;)

The UHQ Nasanta Good luck!

Renata Amazing review. This book was incredible!

Choko I see I have missed those reviews... Have I told you lately you are amazing??? This series makes me soooo happy!!!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Renata wrote: "Amazing review. This book was incredible!"

Thanks, Renata! I completely agree 😉

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Choko wrote: "I see I have missed those reviews... Have I told you lately you are amazing??? This series makes me soooo happy!!!"

👭😘