Play Book Tag discussion

March 2016: Mystery Thriller > Announcing the March tag: Share Your Reading Plans and Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 134 (134 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Anita (last edited Feb 23, 2016 03:12AM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments We are excited to announce that this month's tag is:

mystery thriller

Please share your reading plans and recommendations below!

Remember, for the regular monthly reads, the book can be shelved as mystery thriller on Goodreads, or be a book that is not yet shelved that way but you feel should be.

To find books to read for this tag, please visit:

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Oh yay! I'm excited!

message 3: by Anita (last edited Feb 23, 2016 03:29AM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments So for me, I'm definitely going to read one of the following:

In the Woods - yes this has been on my TBR forever
Dark Places
Sharp Objects

Scarily, I think I own all three of these. And have for a long time.

Recommending is a lot harder for me, because I really don't read much in this genre even though I do enjoy it.

I'll go with:

Before I Go to Sleep

for starters. And you all know one of my all time favorites is a fit:

The Secret History

So, you know, if you are one of three people here who hasn't read it yet - - now is your chance!

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments This is probably my favourite genre, if I had to pick only one. I just went through the list and realised I have read an overwhelming amount of them already!

My planned books are:

A Secret History (Anita, I'm one of the three!)
Rebecca
and perhaps an Agatha Christie as I've not read any.

My suggestions are:

The Elizabeth George Inspector Lynley series, of which I'm now reading the 18th installment (!!!)
The Broken Shore by Peter Temple
Before I Go To Sleep

I could go on forever so I'll stop now.

message 5: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments Susie wrote: "A Secret History (Anita, I'm one of the three!)
Rebecca

OMG, you are going to love these both, Susie, imho - - !!!

message 6: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1362 comments My number one recommendation is Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane.

Another recommendation:
Lock In - Joe Scalzi

I will probably read one of these choices:
Gone Girl
The Name of the Rose
The Shadow of the Wind
The Secret History
The Alienist

message 7: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Anita wrote: "And you all know one of my all time favorites is a fit: The Secret History

So, you know, if you are one of three people here who hasn't read it yet - - now is your chance! ..."

I am one of those three people! lol. I still don't know if I will get to it but I feel like I should eventually read it for you....

message 8: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments For those of you who like a little romance with your thiller/mystery, I recommend one of Sandra Brown's newer books. Friction just came out in paperback so it should be an easy one to find!

As for what I am going to read, I have been reading at a snail's pace but am going to choose from:
Orphan X
The Queen of the Night
The Forgetting Time

And, I may try to squeeze in the next In Death installment: Big Jack/Remember When

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments I didn't vote for this tag but I'm happy with it. I don't read a huge number of mystery/thrillers but I have quite a few that will fit for me.

My number one recommendation is one most of you have probably already read: The Shadow of the Wind.

Other recommendations:
The Moonstone (sorry Sara)
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. I didn't love it but everyone else seems to do so.
The Eight
Fingersmith
Mr. Splitfoot
Any of the Sherlock Holmes books

I'll be reading one of the following (depending on how they pan out for my blog march madness challenge - multi-tasking is key for me):
Night Film
The Library at Mount Char
The Queen of the Night

message 10: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Jen wrote: "I'll be reading one of the following (depending on how they pan out for my blog march madness challenge - multi-tasking is key for me):
Night Film
The Queen of the Night ..."

I was all about The Library at Mount Char until I heard it contained a lot of sexual abuse. I will be interested to hear your thoughts on that aspect.

The Queen of the Night is a strong possibility for me as well so maybe we will end up reading it together!

message 11: by Jen (last edited Feb 23, 2016 07:04AM) (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Nicole wrote: "Jen wrote: "I'll be reading one of the following (depending on how they pan out for my blog march madness challenge - multi-tasking is key for me):
Night Film
The Queen of..."

oh, great (re: you comment about The Library...) maybe not then. It depends on what other books I read in March. I have heard that it's very good but not sure I want to read another book with a lot of sexual abuse (the 1001 list is jam-packed with them). If it also gets ranked highly in my challenge, I'll probably read it regardless.

I did see that you had mentioned Queen of the Night as a possibility. It would be fun to read it together. Maybe it will be one of those few books we actually agree on!

Elizabeth (Alaska) For a different look, this page might be of interest:

https://www.goodreads.com/genres/myst...

I'm trying desperately to get books I have down to a reasonable number. The only book I have that fits the tag is A Conspiracy of Paper and I've really wanted to read some more by this author. Hopefully I can work it in.

message 13: by Brandy (new)

Brandy (romansgirl) | 87 comments Anita wrote: "So for me, I'm definitely going to read one of the following:

Dark Places
Sharp Objects

Scarily, I ..."

In the Woods has been on my TBR for forever as well! I just read Dark Places recently and loved it.

message 14: by Barbara M (last edited Feb 23, 2016 10:25AM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2223 comments Cora wrote: "
I will probably read one of these choices:
Gone Girl
The Name of the Rose
The Shadow of the Wind
The Secret History
The Alienist ."

Let me second The Shadow of the Wind and The Alienist They were/are both favorites of mine.

message 15: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2223 comments Nicole wrote: "I am one of those three people! lol. I still don't know if I will get to it but I feel like I should eventually read it for you.... ..."

I must be the third and I feel the same way Nicole!

message 16: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2223 comments Jen wrote: "I didn't vote for this tag but I'm happy with it. I don't read a huge number of mystery/thrillers but I have quite a few that will fit for me.

My number one recommendation is one most of you have ..."

I own The Eight in pb but the print is sooooo tiny! It doesn't seem to be available any other way - certainly not in ebook. As much as I think I'd like to read it based on friends' recommendations, I'm not sure I can do it. :-(

message 17: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2223 comments Brandy wrote: "Anita wrote: "So for me, I'm definitely going to read one of the following:

Dark Places
[book:Sharp Objects|18045891..."

I'm putting In the Woods on my list too. I've also had it on my TBR forever.

message 18: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2223 comments My recommendations has to have any of the three (I haven't read the fourth and final) The Girl Who. .. . by Larsson to anyone who hasn't read them yet - probably not too many out there!
I also recommend highly:
Shadow of the Wind - Zafon
Any of the Lincoln Rhyme series
The Alienist - Carr

As for me - I hope to do better in March for reading instead of editing and learning GR.
In the Woods / French
Killing Floor / Child
Case Histories / Atkinson
Tell No One / Coben

Hopefully I can get through at least one!

message 19: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (margarette) | 292 comments I'm going to recommend And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

I'll be reading The Girl on the Train for sure. I love mysteries so I'll probably fit in others too.

message 20: by annapi (last edited Feb 23, 2016 11:03AM) (new)

annapi | 4976 comments As I'm always reading a book in this genre, I should have lots of reviews for March!

I will recommend a favorite that seems to have fallen under the radar - Monkeewrench by P.J. Tracy. I thoroughly enjoyed this, though my favorite of the series is book 3, Dead Run. It's been 4 years (2012) since the last book of the series, Off the Grid, but it looks like the next installment, The Sixth Idea, is coming out in August this year, and I am looking forward to it.

message 21: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2223 comments annapi wrote: "As I'm always reading a book in this genre, I should have lots of reviews for March!

I will recommend a favorite that seems to have fallen under the radar - Monkeewrench by P.J. Trac..."

Monkeewrench is among my favorites too - I like most all of them in the series.

message 22: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4976 comments Barbara wrote: "I own The Eight in pb but the print is sooooo tiny!..."

Barbara, I have a mobi ebook version of The Eight, which is for Kindle. (I can convert it to epub for other readers if you need.) PM me your email addy and I will send it to you. Or if you are the Barbara Morse I have sent books to before, let me know, I still have your email and can send it asap.

message 23: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4976 comments Anita wrote: "And you all know one of my all time favorites is a fit: The Secret History

So, you know, if you are one of three people here who hasn't read it yet - - now is your chance! ..."

I'm one of the three! I might just...

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 195 comments I'm going to start with Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier and Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben. I'll probably add a couple more when I have time to do a better search.

I'm going to recommend Angels & Demons by Dan Brown and In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.

message 25: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Sarah wrote: "...and In Cold Blood by Truman Capote..."

In Cold Blood is one that I always feel I should get to. Especially with my current obsession with true crime shows/books....

message 26: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments So, it seems like there are many people who are interested in reading The Secret History and there is nothing like a mini-group read to encourage people to dive in!

Does anyone want to read this with me? If I can get 2-3 other people to join me, then I will bump it to the top of my list. Also, Perhaps we can have some discussions as we read along with no spoilers past XX page at any given time.

Would anyone be interested in that?

message 27: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4976 comments Nicole wrote: "So, it seems like there are many people who are interested in reading The Secret History and there is nothing like a mini-group read to encourage people to dive in!

Does anyone want to read this with me?"

I'll join!

message 28: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments annapi wrote: "I'll join! ..."

Yay!!! I am downloading it now and realize that it is over 500 pages (oomph) but I have law school spring break coming up so I think I can do it!

message 29: by Brandy (new)

Brandy (romansgirl) | 87 comments Margarette wrote: "I'm going to recommend And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

I'll be reading The Girl on the Train for sure. I love mysteries so I'll probably fi..."

I read And Then There Were None last year. It was a fun little mystery. I also read Girl on the Train and loved it. I did the audio actually, and it was done very well. I made lots of excuses to get in my car and run errands during that time!

message 30: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I'll join too, as long as we're not starting straight away!

message 31: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Susie wrote: "I'll join too, as long as we're not starting straight away!"

Hi Susie, are you referring to starting The Secret History? We will not start until 3/1, unless you are like me and probably won't start until the following weekend!

message 32: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments Ok, now I kinda want to re-read The Secret History since I haven't read it since, oh, I don't know, college?

Also seriously hoping others like it because I'd hate to be responsible for a whole group of people having a bad reading month.

The only person I'm sure will is Susie . . .but of course, I'm hoping everyone does!!

message 33: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I'm in! If Anita is raving about it then I'm guessing I'll love it. :-)

message 34: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments Jen wrote: "Night Film."

Yeah, this also looks super intriguing . . .and keeps crossing my path somehow.

message 35: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments Susie wrote: "I'm in! If Anita is raving about it then I'm guessing I'll love it. :-)"

Hopefully my twenty year old self is as in tune with you as forty-nine year old self . . .fingers crossed. I'm feeling confident though.

message 36: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments My number one recommendation would be for Candlemoth. One of my favorite books of last year.

I'm another third with the Secret History still on the shelf. Along with a lot of others that have received recommendations above. I don't even know where to start. Some I'd like to get to:
Mystic River
Killing Floor
Relic
In the Woods
... I could go on forever...

message 37: by Jenni Elyse (last edited Feb 23, 2016 02:30PM) (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1313 comments In the Woods has been on my list for a while too. I think I'll try to get it done for the tag in March. I have several that could fit this time around, though, so we'll see.

My recommendations include The Thirteenth Tale, Rebecca, and And Then There Were None.

message 38: by Sara (last edited Feb 23, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments Many of the recommendations are on my TBR, but I am leaning towards Rebecca or The Shadow of the Wind, though a The Secret History mini-KAL is tempting. Given Anita's love for this book I will likely enjoy it. I will also be finishing Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy if I can find my copy.

My number one recommendation is The Thirteenth Tale.

message 39: by Captaintjf (new)

Captaintjf | 2 comments I'm here I'm here! I will look for suggestions

message 40: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1472 comments I read a lot of mysteries and thrillers. I actually voted for a different tag to get me out of my comfort zone but I'm happy with this. I second the recommendation of And Then There Were None, definitely my favorite Agatha Christie book. I'll likely read The Silkworm, since I've been meaning to get to it for awhile.

message 41: by Book Concierge (last edited Feb 23, 2016 02:59PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5801 comments For those who are trying to search their TBR or read list for recommendations / suggestions:

THIS LIST might be more helpful ... as you'll be able to see which books you have read or have on your TBR

message 42: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5801 comments I think my #1 recommendation would be
The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris

I'd also recommend:
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
Along Came a Spider by James Patterson
The Bone Collector by Jeffrey Deaver
The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly
Mystic River by Dennis Lehane

And for those who want a lighter read
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

message 43: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments Captaintjf wrote: "I'm here I'm here! I will look for suggestions"

Tenia! So good to see you!!

message 44: by Brandy (new)

Brandy (romansgirl) | 87 comments I just saw an advertisement for a 2 night mini series of And Then There Were None on Lifetime channel March 18th.

message 45: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8334 comments Anita wrote: "We are excited to announce that this month's tag is:

mystery thriller."

Yay! This is the one I was hoping for!

message 46: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I prefer the 'tags' that are more genre specific vs a year or century that everyone defines differently.

My recommendations would be:
Night Film
The Shadow of the Wind

If people like a bit more legal-ese in their thrillers:
Defending Jacob
A Time to Kill

I think I might try: The Cuckoo's Calling.

I read The Secret History many years ago and really don't get all the love. I feel like maybe I missed something. If it were shorter I might re-read, but I'm still finishing my 750+ page book for the WW2 tag.

message 47: by Nicole (last edited Feb 23, 2016 04:45PM) (new)

Nicole | 429 comments Sarah wrote: "and In Cold Blood by Truman Capote."

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote is the only book I could find off of the 100 NF list that fits solidly within the mystery-thriller tag ... Can anyone think of any other books on the list that would fit?

I think I'm going to pick up A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James. It won the Man Booker prize last year and I'm interested in picking it up after picking up last year's Pulitzer Prize winner this month.

message 48: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1313 comments Brandy wrote: "I just saw an advertisement for a 2 night mini series of And Then There Were None on Lifetime channel March 18th."

Is it the one that was on the BBC with Aidan Turner? I hope so! I was so sad I missed it, not only because I love And Then There Were None, but I also love Aidan Turner, lol. I wonder what ending they'll use--the play or book ending. I like the play ending better, but I still love the book.

Elizabeth (Alaska) JoLene wrote: "I read The Secret History many years ago and really don't get all the love. I feel like maybe I missed something. "

I'm with you on this one Jolene - but I thought I was the only one who didn't care for it.

message 50: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "JoLene wrote: "I read The Secret History many years ago and really don't get all the love. I feel like maybe I missed something. "

I'm with you on this one Jolene - but I thought I was the only on..."

I know --- which made me not interested in The Goldfinch. The other one that has a lot of press is Fates and Furies, but I hated The Monsters of Templeton when we read it for my bookclub.

« previous 1 3