Reading List Completists discussion

Group Reads > Dune by Frank Herbert

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1675 comments Mod
Discuss Dune Here!

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 42 comments I'm excited and I'm terrified. Two HUGE books in the month of March (also reading Seveneves)
But then I take a peek on audible and see that Scott Brick is a narrator in Dune.
It's settled, audiobook it is :)

message 3: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) Same here. I want to read Dune, but I'm not sure I'll be able to find the time in March.

message 4: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

Starts in March . . . but the discussion can go on into the future! :) I have been behind on a few recently, too - work keeps getting in the way of my reading time!

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 42 comments I'm going to start this tonight!

message 6: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (last edited Feb 29, 2016 08:48PM) (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 42 comments Pretty interesting so far. The first few chapters were a little confusing with all their fancy titles and words.
Think I have the basics down now.

message 8: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (last edited Mar 03, 2016 09:10AM) (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 42 comments "We thank you, Stilgar, for the gift of your body's moisture"
hahaha!
Now that we're all friends, lets spit on each other :)

Pretty clever actually.

message 9: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 149 comments I read Dune two years ago. Really enjoyed it. I need to read the second book. I've heard the first 3 books in the series are great then it goes down from there.

message 10: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 42 comments This book makes me sleepy. There are points where its interesting, but for the most part this book is making me semi-slumpy.

message 11: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 42 comments So, I finished this book last night. I don't regret reading it but it left a lot to be desired in my opinion.
In such a unique world, I wanted more world building.
Most of the characters were unlikable and fell flat for me.
It is impressive how well this story has aged over time.
3/5 stars from me

message 12: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Clark Just getting started. Trying to figure out what they mean by "human" in this world.

message 13: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Clark The most amazing thing about Dune is the intrigue. Everybody is being manipulated and/or manipulating others or the situation. There are so many sneaky people and unknowns, that you are always wondering at the motives of every character.

You get to see Paul and his visions and prophecies that are on a slippery slope toward a war that he doesn't know how to avoid, the creepy baron manipulate even his own heir vying for power, the spy-like and witch-like Bene Gesserit women and their ways of reading and influencing people and emotions, the hints at manipulations of the desert planet to make it fit for life, the shady spice trade, and even the way that water is recycled--it's all so manipulative.

I can see why this is thought of as the Lord of the Rings of the sci-fi genre! It's very sweeping and brilliant. I'm getting close to finishing and wondering what kind of ending we'll see. I'm thinking maybe the baron dies, and we finally get to meet the emperor?? Just a guess.

BTW, I read a review that said the "human" thing (see also my last comment) is not really addressed in the book, it's just a teaser thrown into the first section. So what kind of animal is Paul, really?

message 14: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Clark I knew it was part of a series, but the ending wasn't really a cliffhanger for me. It just sort of...ends, as if you could flip the page to the next chapter. Where are the fireworks?

Great book, though. I thought it was genius.

message 15: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

You can tell he was thinking series, but I only ever read the first one. And, in general, I have not heard great things about the books after the first two or three.