Reading the Chunksters discussion

Don Quixote
This topic is about Don Quixote
Archived 2014 Group Reads > Dashboard: Don Quixote

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) We had a neck and neck race, and our winner is Don Quixote!!

Please sign in here if you are planning on reading with us! I am working on the reading schedule today and will have it posted by Thursday (5/1) and we will begin reading on Monday May 5.

With all the votes we should have some fun and interesting discussions.

message 2: by Joyce (new) - added it

Joyce Peacock (joycempeacock) I am planning on joining you. My copy has been ordered and shipped so hopefully it gets here soon!

message 3: by John (last edited Apr 29, 2014 07:32AM) (new) - added it

John (johnred) | 364 comments I will stop at the library this afternoon for a copy. Looking forward to the discussions!

Love the new group banner/icon by the way :)

Delmy  (needfulreads) I really liked this book, particularly the first half of it, I felt the second part to be pretty slow and a bit boring. Hope you'll enjoy it!
:)

Paula (paula-j) | 388 comments New member...I'm in! Looking forward to it.

message 6: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda | 1378 comments I will be participating!

I'm wondering if there will be a few questions posted pertaining to each section for this book? It seems that the books where there have been discussion questions posted at the beginning of each thread tend to spur more discussions and participation, which have made the read more enjoyable overall (for me, anyway).

Like John, I also like the new banner. :)

message 7: by Maureen (new) - added it

Maureen Lo Do I need to get a particular edition for this group read? I just bought one translated by Edith Grossman.

message 8: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Maureen, I'll be listening to the Grossman translation and that's what I'm doing the schedule from, but there is no required translation. It's your choice.

Linda, I will try to post some questions in the opening post of each thread. Hopefully I can get a bit of help with this, as I'm not the best at coming up with them. Maybe Everyman can help me if he's reading with us on this one, he's always got great insights and questions...but I will try my best to have at least one question for discussion at the beginning of the threads.

It's good to see so many people signing up!!

message 9: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda | 1378 comments Kristi wrote: "Linda, I will try to post some questions in the opening post of each thread. Hopefully I can get a bit of help with this, as I'm not the best at coming up with them."

Thanks Kristi! I'm like you, I have a hard time thinking up questions to ask myself while reading, that's why I've enjoyed the discussions where there is someone else asking them - gives me more to think about. :)

If I do come up some questions, or find some source of questions that we can use as reference, I'll try to help out.

message 10: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Linda wrote: "Kristi wrote: "Linda, I will try to post some questions in the opening post of each thread. Hopefully I can get a bit of help with this, as I'm not the best at coming up with them."

Thanks Kristi!..."

I found a source for some questions! so hopefully I'll get one on each thread.

Jason | 0 comments New member here! DQ is one of my favorite novels! I might just have to join in on this. I've read it a couple times before but it's been a while.

message 12: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 105 comments Count me in

Dianne (deemitchell) This will be my first read with the group, so am looking forward to joining in

Bonita I'm in. I've tried to read this a couple of times and fizzled out. Looking forward to actually finishing it this time.

message 15: by Sam (new) - added it

Sam (aramsamsam) I have an old copy on my shelve; good to read this one as a group, I guess. I've tried before and gave up...

message 16: by MK (new) - added it

MK (wisny) I'm going to be a few weeks late in joining (have to get myself current in my other long read, War & Peace, first), but I'm going to give it a go. Fifty pages a week *should* be manageable, and I've always wanted to try this one.

Is late joining okay?

message 17: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Absolutely MK...Comment as you go!

message 18: by MK (new) - added it

MK (wisny) great, thanks :)

Lauren (tewks) | 6 comments I'm planning to join in.

Lyndi (mibookobsession) I'm in. I just bought a copy last night. I'm looking forward to joining a discussion group :)

message 21: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Schlup I'm in!

message 22: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) I just posted the schedule!! I got it done more quickly that I had thought I would. Let me know your thoughts.

message 23: by Renato (new) - added it

Renato (renatomrocha) Hi guys! I'm joining you! :)

Everyman | 885 comments I'm planning to be in, subject to vision issues. I'll probably read the Raffel translation. Though it will take a few chapters for me to get use to reading Don Quijote instead of Quixote!

Everyman | 885 comments Kristi wrote: "I just posted the schedule!! I got it done more quickly that I had thought I would. Let me know your thoughts."

But then you froze the schedule topic, so I couldn't give my thoughts on it there, and I hate to clutter up the dashboard with a response, but since I've already cluttered it this far, I'll say it looks great, about 40 pages a week in the Raffel edition.

Hilary (agapoyesoun) I'm intending to join. I know I'd never read it by myself......:-)

message 27: by [deleted user] (last edited May 02, 2014 05:12PM) (new)

I am hoping to be able to keep up with the reading schedule. Even though I just borrowed the Rutherford edition ebook through my library, I am still considering buying the Grossman edition since we will be reading for months. This will be my first 600+ page book attempted in quite a few years.

Thanks for organizing the reading schedule Kristi.

Amended: Purchased the Grossman Kindle and Audible edition. Being realistic, I am more likely to keep up with the schedule if I can listen to the book. :-)

message 28: by Renato (new) - added it

Renato (renatomrocha) Anyone else reading the Brazilian version by Penguin-Companhia?

Renee M New here! Looking forward to DQ. I've also tired reading it in my own and faltered. Good luck to all of us! :)

Jason | 0 comments In case anybody wanting to read DQ is as obsessed with translations as I am, I found this article: One Master, Many Cervantes.

I've read DQ in the Edith Grossman and Samuel Putnam translations. This time I'm going to read the John Ormsby translation (I want to read it on my kindle and this is the free, public domain translation that is widely available).

The Grossman translation is the one I first read and what made me love the novel. I can't sing the praises of this translation enough! :-)

I'm pretty excited to join in these discussions!

message 31: by Russell (new) - added it

Russell I'm in for sure. One of my favourites! I actually ordered the Grossman translation a few days ago so I'm waiting for it to arrive (I'm told it's exceptional), but I have a few other versions already if it's not here by start date. Bring it on.

Renee M Just ordered the Grossman. Now I have my pick of translations! :D
(And I'm hoping to be able to finish ONE!)

message 33: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Everyman wrote: "But then you froze the schedule topic, so I couldn't give my thoughts on it there..."

Sorry about freezing the topic...I must have accidentally clicked that box too when I was making the thread sticky. It's open for comments now, what does everyone think??

message 34: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) I'm so glad to see all of you so excited to read this together! This is going to be such a fun read! I am reading the Grossman Translation, I'll be listening to it with an e-book backup incase I need to figure out where I am in relation to the reading schedule. Can't wait to start reading with you all!

message 35: by Russell (new) - added it

Russell J wrote: "In case anybody wanting to read DQ is as obsessed with translations as I am, I found this article: One Master, Many Cervantes.

I've read DQ in the Edith Grossman and Samuel Putnam translations. T..."

Thanks J. Great article! Reassured me of my Grossman choice.

message 36: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda | 1378 comments J wrote: "In case anybody wanting to read DQ is as obsessed with translations as I am, I found this article: One Master, Many Cervantes."

Thanks for the article. I have the Rutherford translation, also mentioned in this article, but I'll probably get the Grossman translation from the library for comparison.

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) I think I'll try to read it with ya'll.

Everyman | 885 comments J wrote: "In case anybody wanting to read DQ is as obsessed with translations as I am, I found this article: One Master, Many Cervantes.
h Grossman and Samuel Putnam translations. T..."

Hmmm. He doesn't care for Raffel. Maybe I need to rethink. Anybody with other views?

message 39: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda | 1378 comments Everyman wrote: "Hmmm. He doesn't care for Raffel. Maybe I need to rethink. Anybody with other views?"

This Amazon reviewer gives some direct comparisons between Grossman and Raffel if you want to take a look at them. He concluded that he preferred the Raffel translation.

I read through a bunch of the comments and everyone has their own opinion on which translation they like better, Grossman, Raffel, and all the others. It was midway through reading these comments that I didn't know which one to choose! In the end I ended up with Rutherford and later found a few good things said about it, so I hope I end up liking it.

Here is the review:
http://www.amazon.com/review/RDHI2GR5...

message 40: by Russell (new) - added it

Russell Everyman wrote: "J wrote: "In case anybody wanting to read DQ is as obsessed with translations as I am, I found this article: One Master, Many Cervantes.
h Grossman and Samuel Putnam translations. T..."

Hmmm. He ..."

I've heard the Raffel is quite good, and a lot of people seem to recommend it, but I haven't read it myself. I've read the Cohen version, which I'd recommend (though Stavans seems indifferent to it), and the Motteux, which I wouldn't.

Jason | 0 comments I found this quote by Robert Bolaño (of 2666 fame):
A work like Don Quijote can resist even the worst translator. As a matter of fact, it can resist mutilation, the loss of numerous pages and even a shit storm. Thus, with everything against it—bad translation, incomplete and ruined—any version of Quijote would still have very much to stay to a Chinese or an African reader. And that is literature. We may lose a lot along the way. Without a doubt. But perhaps that was its destiny.

I'd guess that enjoying the novel is not going to depend on the translation too much. As long as we have good discussions it's going to be awesome!

message 42: by Anne (new) - added it

Anne | 137 comments I am planning to read Don Quixote too. Hopefully this time I can stay caught up with the group.

message 43: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Booklovinghippo (booklovinghippo) | 33 comments I'm hoping to join, but have to catch up on some other readings first. I've been wanting to read this for a while!

message 44: by Kate (new)

Kate New member, and the closest I've come to Quixote is admiring the Dali print that for some reason my grandmother hung in her guest bathroom. Looking forward to the discussions.

message 45: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara (kadin) I'm joining this read. I've tried to read Don Quixote for years, so I'm pretty excited. I am doubling up MBA classes for the next twelve weeks so I'll be juggling a lot of reading, but I look forward to the challenge.

message 46: by [deleted user] (last edited May 04, 2014 01:05PM) (new)

I want to join, but I'm in the midst of end of year activities at school and a chunkster challenge in another group. I will definitely be lurking and reading the discussions.

I pulled out my copy today and I think Starkie is the translator.

Here's my edition:
Don Quixote  by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

message 47: by Mekki (new) - added it

Mekki | 1 comments I'm down for it.

I'll be reading this version Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Christopher Stancill Hi everyone.

New to the group, I'll be reading this with you.

message 49: by John (new) - added it

John (johnred) | 364 comments Great to see there are so many participants! I've got the Grossman audiobook loaded up and ready to play on my way to work tomorrow.

message 50: by Esther (new)

Esther I'm in. I've tracked down a copy of the Grossman translation. Intrigued to see what the book is like.

« previous 1