Start by marking “2666, Part 2: The Part About Amalfitano” as Want to Read:
2666, Part 2: The Part About Amalfitano

2666, Part 2: The Part About Amalfitano

(2666 #2)

To ask other readers questions about 2666, Part 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 2666, Part 2

Trish
I hardly know where to begin reviewing this massive opus. But I know I am not alone because most of the people who have read the thing just rate it with stars to indicate how well they liked it and leave it at that. I don’t even think the star rating system works well when considering this novel.

2666 might almost be thought of as fictional nonfiction in that it reads like remembered thought, something like a memoir, though it is broken into “books” and many people are central rather than a sing
Cymru Roberts
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: roberto-bolaño
The Part About Amalfitano could have also been named Behind the Scenes of Reality, because its major concern is the invisible substance that makes up our world. At the very end of the book, during Amalfitano’s dream conversation with Boris Yeltsin, Amalfitano turns away from the dream’s setting – a pink marble courtyard marked with a blood-red latrine – as it swirls away into the Void. To look straight into the Void would be like entering a black hole; in other words, there could be nothing more ...more
This part concentrates on Óscar Amalfitano, a Chilean professor of philosophy who arrives at the University of Santa Teresa from Barcelona with his young adult daughter Rosa. As a single parent (since her mother Lola abandoned them both when Rosa was two) Amalfitano fears Rosa will become another victim of the femicides plaguing the city.

The second book of this series is quite metaphorical with some hints of autobiography tips from the author.

3* Woes of the True Policeman
CR 2666
TR By Night in Ch
Linda
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
I don't know. I'm seriously scratching my head right now.

Tentative 2 stars (at least for this part), but I'm waiting to see how the rest of the book pans out.
Byurakn
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, just wow! Bolaño is a wonderful writer! In this part we encounter Amalfitano's worries and sadness, narrated in a really beautiful way with a certain sadness. There are alsoanswers to certain questions from Part 1.
Part 2 can also be a stand-alone novel but it is part of the bigger picture. I can already see how Part 2 fits with Part 1 and how Part 2 compliments Part 1.
When I started reading 2666, I thought it was going to be a long and torturous read but Bolaño's prose is so wonderful tha
Tommy Wallach
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Bolaño is one of the greatest short story writers of our time. But his books are flabby and weird. This novel is basically 600 pages of descriptions of women who have been raped and murdered, and 200 pages of...nothing happening. I stand by it.
Lawrence Manuel
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Nothing very interesting in this part except for the geometry book hanging on the clothesline, a nod to Duchamp's surrealism. Moving on to Part 3!
Dennis Gerwing
Sep 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Trudging on to Part 3.
Solla
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is divided into five sections, and Bolaño had actually given instructions that it should be published as five books, thinking that would be more financially successful for his children, as he knew that he was dying. I am glad that the book was not divided up, as I suspect that the whole is stronger than the sum of the individual parts, depite that, in some ways, they are very loosely associated.

The center of the novel is Benno von Archimboldi, a German novelist, whom we do not meet un
Harry Collier IV
Feb 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017
This is a review of The Part about Amalfitano and NOT a review about 2666.
As anyone who has even come close to picking up 2666 will know, Robert Bolano wrote it pretty much on his death bed. Days before he died he left instructions with his dear friend that this was to be published as 5 separate books released in 1 year increments. After he died his family decided to put them together and publish them as one long epic novel (which was probably the right move) but my concern in this review is wi
Michelle
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Part 2 was somewhat ambiguous, but, it gave more information. As I stated in my part one review, I read this as one large book, but, because it is on here in parts I will write 5 separate reviews, There was the Spanish version, I suppose I could have reviewed. Again, this part, introduced more about the ambiguous writer that the literary critics in part 1 were all in search of. The style writing, is somewhat more on a fantasy level. I believe the varied writing patterns in each of these parts, i ...more
Catherine Martin
May 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Well, I never would have picked this up if it weren't for my book club and I certainly wouldn't have dragged myself through 350 of the 800+ pages if I didn't feel pressured to show up with a defensible position for why I certainly was NOT going to finish this monster. Yes, there were intriguing moments, but for me they were lost in endless pages of really uninspiring prose. And there wasn't a single character that appealed to me.

So I guess I admire the fortitude of the rest of the club members w
Ahmad
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: latin-american
4/5. What also makes the first part great is Bolano’s depiction of humanities academics with their heads stuck far up their asses. The main character here, Amalfitano, is much nicer and so elicits our sympathy and the narrative also focuses more on him, unlike the previous part where the constantly shifting relationships between the four professors are quite intriguing and hilarious. Still worth reading but not as good as the first part.
Mitch
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am finding this book so incredible but very difficult to explain to people. I don't think I could sit down and read the 800+ pages at once. Instead, I just read and mull over each section. Then, I'll read the next when I'm ready. Highly recommended.
Jeremy
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
At 68 pages, this is the shortest section of Bolaño's amazing novel. This section seems mostly to be an interlude - a way of shifting the tone from the lighter Part 1 (in which this section's protagonist is introduced) to a one more in keeping with the horrors to come in Part 4.
Lexie Huber
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I would love to be able to meet it this author. The writing is brilliant, but like 2666 Part 1 the story does nothing for me. So while I greatly appreciate the work, I won’t be reading the next three volumes.
Kieran
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
Didn't think much of this.
Wayne's
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Still not feeling the greatness.
Mónica Cuesta beltrán
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spanish
Read for the second time, I discover new elements to put in relation to the other books in the collection, and new dimensions appear.
Vaidehi
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book gives me the hibbi-jibbies :{. I am seriously as clueless as Amalfitano about what's happening to him.
Amélie Brouillard
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
kinda hanging in there
Song
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Gripping, creepy, and paints a very bleak setting.
Daniel
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is really starting to lose me. Most of it is written as summary instead of scenes, I'm only continuing because I've heard book 4 is great.
David Bates
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Harrowing and deeply moving at the same time.
Kristopher
Carbon: Read 898 pages. Published F.S.G., NYC, 2004.
heidi
Jan 09, 2016 added it
I don't understand why this part of 2666 gets a bad review. I enjoyed this better than Part 1.
E7boehm
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
great book study in insantity
Patty
Apr 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio
Did not like the audio book much... finished part 1 and 2 now on part 3.
Rhys
Nov 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Oddly alluring.

It kind of reminds me of the feeling I got when reading Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann.
Jaidee
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
i finished the second novel in this five novel series and I am blown away by the dark originality....sheer genius.....take a small break before I start book3

• The Eve of St Venus
  • Zagreb Cowboy
  • WTF?!: What the French
  • El puñal
  • Honorata la trisaïeule (La Caste des Méta-Barons, #2)
  • The Adventures of a Photographer in La Plata
  • La pesquisa
  • Rabia
  • Papeles en el viento
  • Los lanzallamas (Los siete locos, #2)
  • El año del desierto
  • El inventor de juegos
  • Ladrilleros
  • Muchacha punk
  • Variaciones en rojo
  • Cuentos que me apasionaron
  • Cuando hablábamos con los muertos
  • Apollo's Song, Part One
For most of his early adulthood, Bolaño was a vagabond, living at one time or another in Chile, Mexico, El Salvador, France and Spain.

Bolaño moved to Europe in 1977, and finally made his way to Spain, where he married and settled on the Mediterranean coast near Barcelona, working as a dishwasher, a campground custodian, bellhop and garbage collector — working during the day and writing at night.

H

2666 (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • 2666, Part 1: The Part About The Critics