What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Chartbreak
This topic is about Chartbreak
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. It's about a girl who joins a band, has an antagonistic relationship with the guy. [s]

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daisy (new) - added it

Daisy Burnard | 4 comments Teen book.
The girl is in a cafe/diner/thing, the mmc (and his friends(?)) are singing she ends up trying to out sing him. She has issues with her mother.
The band gets mocked by someone I think is called the rat, on radio and he (IIRC) calls their band "face zit" instead of "Face It". There is a scene at the end and there was a model train that was important to the guy and nunchucks.
I read it somewhere between 4 and 10 years ago...and I think it had a red cover?

message 2: by Diana (new)

Diana Welsch | 529 comments Could it be Beige by Cecil Castellucci? Some of the details fit.

message 3: by Daisy (new) - added it

Daisy Burnard | 4 comments Nope, sorry, it does look like a good read though :) thanks.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37806 comments Mod
Guitar Girl?

Seventeen-year-old narrator Molly Montgomery finds herself living the dream of many teenagers as the lead singer in a popular band. But except for the rush of performing, she just doesn't have much fun. Her love-hate relationship with a male band member predictably becomes an anguished love affair, while her close friendships with the band's other two girls deteriorate.

The band is called The Hormones.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

My Tiki Girl? (lesbian themed, but a male band member falls for one of the girls)

Fifteen-year-old Maggie, still grieving the loss of her mother in an accident that also gave her a limp, has turned her back on old friends but connects with a new student, Dahlia, who makes her part of quickly family and plans their future together as roving musicians and lovers.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Beauty and the Bully?

Hoping to attract a beautiful student activist who is the long-time object of his unrequited crush, Duncan Boone, lead guitarist in a rock band, enlists the help of a school bully whose sister wants to be in the band even though she is the worst guitar player in the universe.

message 8: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 191 comments Maybe Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway ?

message 9: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16228 comments Possibly check this list....

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

message 10: by ghilknov (new) - added it

ghilknov | 2 comments Hello there. I'm actually looking for the same book (I think). I can remember the scene at the beginning and the one in the end with the model train and the nunchucks.

I lent the German version of the book in our high school library about 7 years ago. The way it looked it must have been quite a bit older (because of the type of cover). I still remember that it stood in the row with authors from A to about G.

I think the plot has to be placed in the 70s to 90s since someone in the band used a cassette to record a first version of their single.

I think the setting of the book is GB.

The radio show was very important to the band since a good review meant success and and a bad review meant (almost definite) failure. This is also a reason why I would say it is not playing in the last 25 years and not in the US as radio shows are not as important anymore and the US is far too big for a single radio show to have such a huge impact.

I really hope this helps out a bit more. I hope to read this book agains

message 12: by ghilknov (last edited Jan 24, 2018 03:44AM) (new) - added it

ghilknov | 2 comments Ayshe wrote: "Chartbreak by Gillian Cross?"

Yes :D Thanks for the reply. That's the book I read. I remember the cover of the book distinctly. cover

I'm looking forward to reading it again after 10 years :D

Hope OP sees this too.

message 13: by Daisy (new) - added it

Daisy Burnard | 4 comments Ayshe wrote: "Chartbreak by Gillian Cross?"
That's it thanks! :) Solved!

message 14: by Sycorax (new)

Sycorax | 74 comments I loved that book!