Start by marking “Guitar Girl” as Want to Read:
Guitar Girl

Guitar Girl

Seventeen-year-old Molly Montgomery never planned on becoming famous. Molly's band, The Hormones, was just supposed to be about mucking around with her best mates, Jane and Tara, and having fun. But when the deliciously dangerous Dean and his friend T join the band, things start happening fast. Soon The Hormones are front-page news, and their debut album is rocketing up ...more
Published April 21st 2005 by Speak (first published July 17th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Guitar Girl, please sign up.

Start your review of Guitar Girl
Jacob Proffitt
Nov 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This book starts light, but it doesn't take long before you start seeing hints of seriousness. Which is too bad as it can't really bear the load.

Molly just wants to sing about things that matter to her—even while acknowledging that those things aren't world-shattering or expecting others to find them interesting, themselves. She's somewhat taken aback when her little group starts to get attention and finds herself quickly out of her depth and struggling to find her way with a boatload of
PK
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
There are not many books that should make you cry- and when it happens, you have read a book you cannot forget. This book is Guitar Girl by Sarra Manning. This book is a heart-breaker. I loved this book so much. And it shook me to the core, and you will think about this book long after you’ve put it down.

Molly Montgomery. She is just a normal British school girl. She has two very normal friends: Tara, a silent no-nonsense girl, and Jane, the school’s resident tramp- and that isn’t an offense.
Emilyandherlittlepinknotes
May 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, young-adult
I’m a sucker for the “high-school-kid-in-a-local-band-scene-almost-makes-it-big-and-learns-a-little-something-about-himself/herself-in-the-process” novel, Guitar Girl is not as sophisticated or intense as Nick & Norah’s infinite playlist but it’s just as good.
Sarra Manning is amazing (if you haven’t read the Diary of a Crush trilogy, you absolutely must because it’ uber-cool, it’s everything a YA love lit should be) brilliant, I read all her books and I truly believe she is one of the best
Becky
Well, this sort of left me in a funk.

The storyline goes that an average girl learned three chords on a guitar and then made a band, became super famous and toured America.

I've just never heard anyone say becoming famous only took playing one gig and then hitting it big. It just felt really forced, and unrealistic. I don't know that Manning did much research on this one and I also hated the ending. I saw the point of it, but I still hated it. This story just left me with a bitter taste in my
Tyler
Feb 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every bookworm in the world along with music/British lovers
I found this book at a bargain store near me and I can honestly say this was one of the best purchases I had made in my entire life. Not only did it surprise me when I figured out that this was an English book, but it pulled me in straight from page one. I first heard about it through a friend and when I saw the title, I remembered how oddly familiar it sounded only to remember of the recommendation. I would highly recommend this book. It's fresh and funny and just all together perfect in every ...more
Jewel Allen
Dec 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Loved the premise of this book, the main character and the story's satirical look at rock bands. Unfortunately, the middle sags with the character's immaturity which is to be expected of a teenage protagonist. I just had little patience seeing it through to the end.
Lesley
May 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: british, fame
I just really enjoy this author's style. Very similar in voice to Let's Get Lost. Also, just a random note, the font inside is excellent.
Rachel K
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book so many times as a teenage girl. I was obsessed with Molly and related so much to how uncool, grumpy, and weird she felt. Rereading it as an adult was a bizarrely nostalgic reminder of a time in my life that, despite being nearly 15(!) years ago, still feels so significant. I love this book.
karisakun
If that's the voice of our generation, then our generation is royally screwed.

gotta give it 5 stars for being awesome. waaaah! So I read Adorkable first. Not advisable but it's okay. I find myself perusing the pages of Adorkable just to read about Molly and Jane again :) I love how Adorkable is some kind of Epilogue part 2 of Guitar girl.

I couldn't even begin to analyze the whys and wherefores of all this frenzied passion, I just didn't want it ever to end.

Guitar girl is just so
Helen Moore
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Briana
Original/full review here:

Review:
If you are the kind of person who only likes to read about the happy-go-lucky side of fame, then this book is not for you.

In Guitar Girl, Sarra Manning explores the harsher and more realistic side of being a teenage rock star through her main character, Molly Montgomery. With sharp wit and raw emotions, Molly tells the story of her, and her friends, time in the spotlight. In the beginning, I felt somewhat detached from the story and the characters because of the
Blakeley
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
oh my god.

i am going to try and write how this book makes me feel without repeatedly saying the words amazing and brilliant and awesome and other adjectives that generally mean the same thing. but in actuality this book is all those things and more.

you can read the synopsis if you want to know what it is about, i don't feel like relaying it all.

molly is this quite yet strong girl who want to start a girl revolution that springs loads of punk girl bands who sing about being a girl and stupid
Kirsty
Oct 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: uk-author, ukya, music
A lovely quick read which I enjoyed.

Guitar girl follows 17 year old Molly who, shortly after setting up a band with her friend, is discovered and catapulted into the limelight. The story follows her journey from ordinary teenager to music superstar and gives fan insight into all the highs and lows of being in such a position.

Molly is a fab heroine of the piece. She's a real teenager complete with all the moodiness and the impulsiveness. I loved seeing how she had to cope with all the attention
Shwe
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Its been a pretty long time since I finished this book. And I still don't know what to say, I really don't know what happens behind the curtains and the glamour and the beautiful magazine covers and backstage in the fame world. But I guess this book pretty much answers it all for me.

Its bittersweet, that little message Ruby x left for her really gets to me. You know? I'm not sure if leaving the band was the right choice for her but then, I respect her choices and I understand. It was hard for
Trisha
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
this felt like a light but cautionary tale for mid-teens that are moving on from magazines to small novels. It was light as far as people development because it was heavy on some darker themes - the rock star life. It shows just how quickly "best intentions" can horrible spiral out of control and be "worst nightmare"

Molly is in the midst of the whirlwind of stardom and trying to figure out who the sheep are - when she should know they are all wolves.
Rachel
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My English teacher had just shouted five more minutes to grab a book and head back to class. We were in my school library. This was a worn book, haven't been checked out in years and on the bottom shelf. I just grabbed it and checked it out. Turns out, I loved it!!! It was really good and tells you the prices you have to pay to become famous. I liked it! If you like rock star biography, music, in that genera. This is for you.
Alarra
Apr 04, 2008 rated it liked it
I love how she gets teen girls, right down to the moodiness, the flights of fancy, the shaping of the self. BUT I didn't like Dean in this at all, which makes the romance fail in my eyes, and it was difficult to understand Molly's attraction to him, and her consequent actions. The details about the hard slog towards stardom were interesting, if slight.
Kangan
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Was good till the nend. One cliffhanger- acceptable ... 3 - cliffhangers - a big no-no
Ringo The Cat
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
taking a star off for factual errors: if you are that invested in music and the music scene, then you know that Roskilde is not in Belgium but in Denmark. Also: sloppy editing.
Laura Martinelli
This is one of those books that I tend to keep waffling back and forth on; it’ll sit on my shelf for a few months, and I’ll think “Oh, did I really like that book? Maybe I ought to read it again.” And then I read it and back on shelf it goes.

Which isn’t to say that this is a bad book…yet it’s not one that’s terribly memorable. I will say this about Guitar Girl, while it’s a typical “teen girl experiences the darker side of fame” novel, the plot is a little more blunt than other more well-known
Star-Jelly☆
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think I was around twelve when I read this. I remember it being an enjoyable ride but frustrating that she wouldnt just trust her best friend basically. I dont think I could stand to re-read it now as the feminist I've become because the main boy and the manager would just give my eyerolling muscles too much of a workout. So there's my awkward bad memory review.
aryanightshade
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this in middle school and loved it and i just happened across it at the library and reread it and its just as amazing as i remember. The note at the end had me almost in tears, so much feeling
Jennifer H.
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So sad that this sat on my self as long as it did. A realistic take on making it big in the music industry. Choosing to burn out than fade away. Where everything isn't always wrapped up in a tight bow and everyone goes home happy. Loved it!
Kiran
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
The premise of this story is very cute but completely unbelievable. Like a straight to DVD movie.
Leo
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Solid three. Pretty good. Not too disappointed with it. Enjoyable read; would have been a four, but the copy I read had so many typos. Other than that, would pick this up again.
anita
this is a book that despite having an epilogue, needs an epliogue to an epilogue.
also, it has music.
books about music have like 0.5 star since the beginning.
Rebekah
Nov 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
This gig wasn't that awful, but it wasn't that great
Ancy
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the books that can influence us to read without a stop. This book is awesome I love everything about the book the beginning, the end, their love story, and the humorous side :)
Lucius Malfoy
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as a teen and I still think about it all the time, even though it doesn't seem like a book I'd think about all the time.
Mad Scientist
Oct 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Music Fans
Shelves: young-adult, 2010
By: Sarra Manning
Publisher: Dutton
Hardcover 217 Pages
Book Art: I thought the book art was simple and fresh.
Tags: Young Adult, Music, Coming of Age

Reason Why The Mad Scientist Picked Up This Book:
The book art peaked a interest while I was browsing the GoodReads swap.

First Line: There's a stack of folders piled up on the desk in front of me.

Concoction of a Review:

The first line was hardly what I would call gripping. *sigh* However, I did enjoy how Mistress Manning's prologue was what was going on
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Should I bother? 1 20 Oct 24, 2012 08:21AM

• Cracking Ice
  • Chef's Favorite (Evergreen Hotel #1)
  • Cracking Ice: episode 1
  • The Loop
  • Abbott and Barley:  A Perfect Place
  • Through The Walls Vol. 1: The Bottom of Things
  • The Smoke Jumper
  • The Tribes of Palos Verdes
  • Whip It! (A Screenplay)
  • On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #2)
  • A Desirable Residence
  • Not Your Shoe Size (Act Your Age #1.5)
  • Spider-Man: Hostile Takeover
  • The Body Painter (Master of Trickery Duet, #1)
  • The Living Canvas (Master of Trickery Duet, #2)
  • Torn (Dark Legacy Duet #2)
  • Playette
  • #feels
Sarra Manning is a teen queen extraordinaire. She spent five years working on the now sadly defunct J17, first as a writer and then as Entertainment Editor. She then joined the launch team of teen fashion bible Ellegirl, which she later went on to edit and has consulted on a wide range of youth titles including Bliss, The Face and More.

Sarra is now editor of What To Wear magazine. She's also been
“I'd always thought that my awkwardness was a thin veil disguising the real me. The me that was funny and could write songs that touched people. The me that would one day find some beautiful, intelligent boy who'd recognize me as his soul mate. The me who was secretly pretty and stylish if only someone would lift the veil and see. But I was beginning to suspect that underneath the awkwardness there was just more awkwardness and not much else. And that would explain why I stood in a room full of people and felt like the loneliest girl in the world.” 58 likes
“God! Molly, will you just stop and listen to me?" he begged, trying to wrap himself around me again.
I pushed him away. "What could you possibly say that I'd want to hear?" I demanded, slapping his lying arms away.
"I love you," he pleaded.
And it broke my heart into a thousand tiny pieces. Because it was only now, when I knew that I could never stand to be near him again, that he was telling me what I'd always wanted to hear.”
3 likes