J.D. Robb discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Are You A Re-Reader?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 151 (151 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10448 comments Mod
Do you ever reread books? Are there favorites that you return to time after time to enjoy again? Or are you a one & done type reader? Read it & move on, never to return?

A comment Jonetta made about rereads in another thread started me thinking...how many of us are re-readers? What motivates you to reread a book?

message 2: by Jonetta (last edited Apr 28, 2014 06:50AM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13547 comments Mod
It's weird. I've never been a rereader. Ever. Until this series, which I read three times, back-to-back. And I've never reread any other books since.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

I'll just come out & say it...I'm a re-reader!! Yes, it's true. I should probably join a Re-Readers Anom group or something! LOL Seriously, I reread for several reasons. I started years ago rereading NR's books...at that time, I didn't know where my next book was coming from so I would reread one of my favorites. Now that I have a massive TBR List & really no time for rereads, I reread for a couple different reasons: 1)to refresh my memory for discussions on a book for a buddy read or monthly read (like now with the In Death books) and 2)because I need the comfort of getting lost in an old favorite...I reread books & yes, entire series, at times just because I am still in love the characters & story. Sometimes, I just need to go back before I move forward to something new.

message 4: by Sheri (new)

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments Most of my life I wasn't even a reader so rereading wasn't much of an option. However, when I was introduced to the in death series i became an avid reader and now reading several different authors. I have reread in death a couple of different times and will probably continue to do so. I am also reading another series right now that I see myself rereading at some point.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Oh...another reason I reread...the next book in a series is coming out - and maybe the last book was a year ago - I reread the series up to the point of the new release to have it fresh in my mind as I jump into the new book.

message 6: by Sheri (new)

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments SAndra I reread for the same reason. I like it all fresh when the new books come out

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3245 comments I have always been a re-reader. This probably started when I was little and re-read all of my Dr Seuss books. But became a serious habit as a starving college student. Books became my main source of avoiding studying and I was living on minimum wage so I couldn't afford to buy a lot of books. Now, it is just the books I absolutely love. I have probably read Whitney My Love twenty times at least over the past twenty five years.

message 8: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I'm re-reader and ESPECIALLY of In Death books. One of the things I especially do is listen to the audiobooks when depressed or if I have a sinus headache or a migraine or even in the dentist's chair!

Other books I reread:
- H.G. Wells
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

message 9: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 1474 comments I'm a big re-reader ! I have re-read innocent in Death many times and I have re-read most of the books on my bookshelf. Last summer was the 1st summer in about 6 yrs that I didn't re-read the Sherbrooke Bride series by Catherine Coulter. To me it's like meeting up with old friends (silly as that may sound).

message 10: by Azleen (new)

Azleen I am such a re-reader! It's very comforting, sort of like meeting up with old friends reminiscing old memories...(oh wow just noticed that Maggie wrote practically the same thing) lol
I may not do a reread of a whole book but hit on a particular scene that i really loved, especially if I'm in a sentimental mood..:)

message 11: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) That's what I like about the In Death series and some other series. They're old friends. I love checking in with all of those wonderful people.

message 12: by Sara ♥ (last edited Apr 28, 2014 03:28PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments I'm a re-reader. I'm about to wax dramatical, so be warned: For me, every book I pick up poses a bit of a risk: I may not like it. I'm pretty darn good at picking out books that I'll like, especially since I joined GR (in 2007) and can read reviews, but you just never know. But when you reread, you KNOW you're going to like it. And I like that.

Plus, it's like visiting old friends... And to remember what happened in a series...

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I don't know if this happens to you, but sometimes if I re-read, I get something extra. Or because of things that have happened or are happening, what you're reading means more.

For instance, I read The Grapes of Wrath 30 years ago in high school and it was all "ho-hum" to me. Then I re-read it in 2008 after the whole economic crisis and Bernie Madoff, and it resonated so much more.

message 14: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3245 comments I feel so much better. My BFF and sister-in-law both recently were shocked that I re-read and told me they have never re-read. Omg! I was starting to feel odd about it lol

message 15: by Jonetta (new)

Kirsten wrote: "I don't know if this happens to you, but sometimes if I re-read, I get something extra. Or because of things that have happened or are happening, what you're reading means more.

For instance, I r..."

I've been rereading old classics I read as a teenager, especially those where they also came across as "ho-hum' to me. It's quite a different experience reading them as an adult.

message 16: by Sandra (new)

Oh wow...so glad to hear I'm not alone! And I agree with all your reasons...there's something comforting about rereading a favorite. And I often do pick up on things that I missed the first time reading. Looks like I found my Re-Readers Anom group right here! lol But we won't even try to reform...just continue enjoying them!

message 17: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3245 comments Lol, yup what chu said Sandra!

message 18: by Sandra (new)

LOL! I just finished a reread of a book I love from a series I've read several times. I did it this time as a buddy reader with a friend reading them for the first time. I enjoy doing that as I love hearing comments from first time readers. Same as with these In Death books...it makes them fresh for me again!

message 19: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3245 comments Yea, I thought about re-reading the Outlander series before the next book comes out but that is a lot of book. So, I think I will just re-read The last one lol

message 20: by Elle (new)

Elle Rush (ellerush) | 28 comments I *have* to re-read books. I skim a book the first time I read it to see if it is worth a "real" read. If I like the characters and the story and the ending, I go back and read it all slowly, in depth. I've inevitably missed something(s) the first time through since I went so fast, so it's still almost a new book for me.

message 21: by Ladyacct (new)

Ladyacct | 153 comments I do reread some (favorites) and am currently rereading Judgment in Death (In Death, #11) by J.D. Robb BUT there are some I have no desire to reread, once was enough (Which I won't give an example of).

message 22: by Kerri (new)

Kerri Levine | 30 comments I am a rereader, for sure. There is nothing like going back into a familiar story. There are times, especially with a NR book, that I will finish the book, then go right back to the beginning to read again. I love finding new details or nuances I either forgot or didn't pick up the first time through.

message 23: by Sandra (new)

Nora's books used to be real favorites of mine for rereads...they are dependable. You know what you're going to get. I don't reread as often as I used to because I have so many new ones to read but I do still pick up an old favorite once in awhile and skim back through it.

message 24: by Rosa Hope (new)

Rosa Hope (RosaHope) | 28 comments Yes I do re-read books, but I do it because of the mood I am in at that time. Nora Roberts if I am sad, cause it always works out okay in the end. J.R. Ward if I am mad, her dialogue alone is enough. Anita Briggs "Alpha and Omega" series when it's anything to do with love.

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2353 comments I must admit that as a struggling student I re-read a lot. Now not so much. I'll skim read through a series before the next one comes out. And do buddy reads ,but with my TBR shelf constantly growing and GR and reviews I don't revisit.

Before GR I didn't always find good authors so the comfort of old friends was great. I don't know if someone else also did this, but sometimes I got to read so many new authors I read but nothing stuck. I felt that I'd gone off my reading and by reading old favorites it got me back in the swing of things. And my love of reading just got renewed as well.

I just want to thank those who do write reviews. I'm still struggling with that bit ;-)

message 26: by Sandra (new)

I understand what you mean, Michelle. I love exploring new authors & series, but sometimes your mind just needs to rest with an old favorite.

message 27: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Rosa Hope wrote: "Yes I do re-read books, but I do it because of the mood I am in at that time. Nora Roberts if I am sad, cause it always works out okay in the end. J.R. Ward if I am mad, her dialogue alone is enoug..."

I love Patricia Briggs too. Especially her Mercy Thompson series. (It's one of the few books set in my hometown!)

message 28: by Dana (new)

Dana (danabritt) Like several of you, I didn't used to be a re-reader, but I am now. Nora's have books played a big part in that, along with Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. I enjoy re-reading Maeve Binchy stories from time to time, as well. So many beloved favorites I can't begin to name them all!
I think part of it is my age--I've forgotten a ton of books I read during the baby boot camp years LOL!

message 29: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments I am definitely a rereader, or rather a relistener. I have a collection of both audios and books that I bought and sometimes when I am in the mood for something light, dramatic, or whatever I will go to my collection of books and pull them out for a reread (relisten.) In fact, I have most of the audios of the in death series and what I don't have on CD I have in book format.

Since I read as much as I do I invariably forget stuff that happens in a certain book. Robb's books are always that way.

message 30: by Sandra (new)

I'm the same way, Dee. Sometimes, an old favorite is just what I need. Robb's books are some of the best to do that with.

message 31: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3245 comments Oh I have relistened to some if the in death books multiple times, and almost always find something I forgot.

message 32: by Chelsealuv (new)

Chelsealuv Krigbaum I just reread portrait n death! if you have not read it yet please don't keep reading because I want to say something about the book... spoiler zone written below............

I didn't catch the first time I read it that it was Summerset who killed Roarke' s dad! I've gone this whole time thinking it was a mystery.

message 33: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) ???? Chelsealuv I will have to re-read Portrait because I never caught that!

message 34: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3245 comments Well, I think it was left hanging, but assumed.

message 35: by Jonetta (new)

Same here.

message 36: by Chelsealuv (new)

Chelsealuv Krigbaum It's at the end of chapter 15... and the reason I think Summerset did do it was because when Eve asked him point blank and eye to eye if he killed Patrick Roarke and she had to remind him it wasn't the cop asking his response was "I had children to protect" . I know that's not a yes but it's also what a guilty person would say to try and convince the other person of why it had to be done. Summerset fought in the war so I think he is capable of murder. Then Dallas says "Roarke doesn't know, does he? You never told him." So that quote make me believe that Summerset said yes in his eyes to her, you know nothing gets past Eve when she is in interrogation mode. hahaha.

message 37: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3245 comments Yes, but he never admits it...

message 38: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Evans (pvevans) | 47 comments No but in later books Eve says flat out the he did kill him. She says it herself, no one else but it's no longer hinted at.

message 39: by Sandra (new)

Some good points! Let's move our discussion to the Portrait In Death thread in the In Death folder. We could have some members new to the series posting in this thread on re-reads...

message 40: by Gina (new)

Gina  | 39 comments I reread books a lot because I can't find anything new or good to read. I might pick out a book that I haven't read, and then it's not good. So, I tend to reread my Favorite authors books all the time. I'm currently rereading Irish Trilogy. I am on Jewels of the Sun right now.

message 41: by Sandra (new)

I used to reread much more than I do now as I didn't have the choice of so many great books. Now I only reread absolute favorites or books that I reread for a BR or MR.

message 42: by Teri (new)

Teri Woolley I never used to reread books. I'm kind of a collector of books and my "to be read" pile is huge. So I couldn't justify spending time reading a book a second time. Until the "In Death" series. I listen to the Audible version and love the narrator. I'm up to "Imitation in Death" and I've gone back several times and started from book one. I think I've listened to each of them three times so far. Do I reread other books? No. Just JD Robb.

message 43: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 63 comments I'm not much of a rereader. There are a few series that I have now replaced with ecopies that I have read repeatedly, but they are the exception rather than the rule. However, I am the keeper of the elibrary for my extended family, so if it is something that I know another family member will read, I save it in the shared Calibre library. My Mom and sister both enjoyed the J D Robb series. Mom (now 82) has no interest in finishing it, however, but my sis might one day.

Audiobooks are a different story. I do relisten to more of those, but many are independent of series. I now have over 400 titles and recently had Audible delete about 30 of them that I will never listen to again. Nobody in my extended family has much interest in audiobooks (or they have lost too much hearing), so it's entirely whatever I want to do.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 7 comments Yep. Once I find a book I love I usually reread it at least once more. I have since I was a kid...it's like visiting an old friend

message 45: by Sandra (new)

Me too, Kris! I have favorites that I will pick up now & then and just enjoy all over again. Plus, I often read (at least skim read) the books in a series right before a new one is released. Case in point: I just reread the first 3 books in the Crossfire series as the new one releases tomorrow. I like having the story fresh in my mind going back in.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 7 comments I have read Outlander by Diana Gabaldon a few times for that reason lol.

message 47: by Sandra (new)

Oh...don't get me started on Outlander! Love, love, love it. I'm in the middle of Dragonfly in Amber now...I want to work my way through the series. This is another series Jonetta hooked me on...she does that a lot you know! :)

message 48: by Jonetta (new)

*hangs head but not in shame:)*

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 7 comments I know it is my goal to be all caught up by end of next year...I listened to the first 4 book on audio and on Fiery Cross.

LOL, yes Jonetta does do that...but I have done that to her too so I think we are almost even ;) I think I was one of many people encouraging her to read Outlander and Karin Slaughter ;)

message 50: by Jonetta (new)

Yep! You were!

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.