Start by marking “Judgment in Death (In Death, #11)” as Want to Read:
Judgment in Death (In Death, #11)

Judgment in Death

(In Death #11)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  28,289 Ratings  ·  744 Reviews
'She stood in Purgatory and studied death. The blood and the gore of it, the ferocity of its glee. It had come to this place with the wilful temper of a child, full of heat and passion and careless brutality.'

In an uptown strip joint a cop is found bludgeoned to death. The weapon's a baseball bat. The motive is a mystery. It's a case of serious overkill that pushes Eve Da
Mass Market Paperback, 356 pages
Published September 1st 2000 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Judgment in Death, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Mo
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

In an uptown strip joint, a cop is found bludgeoned to death. The weapon's a baseball bat. The motive's a mystery. It's a case of serious overkill that pushes Eve Dallas straight into overdrive. Her investigation uncovers a private club that's more than a hot spot.

This series is addictive. Although the number of books in the series is quite daunting!

"I don't know how to do this! I love you, and it makes me crazy."

He had to laugh. She looked so baffled.

"Christ Jesus, Eve, you're a piece of w
Phrynne
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Over the course of this long series I am always amazed at the consistent quality of J.D. Robb's writing, but some of the books do stand out in excellence. This is one of them.
There is everything in this book!
Nearly all of our favourite characters make an appearance. Mavis has a very funny scene with Eve when they try to solve her problems with the aid of alcohol and ice cream. Mira tries to help solve the same problems in a very different way. Summerset only has less than a page but makes a rea
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Roarke <3
I love him so much. :)

She woke to sunlight and the scent of coffee. The first thing she saw was Roarke, with a mug of coffee in his hand.
"How much would you pay for this?"
"Name your price." she sat up took it from him, drank gratefully. "this is one of my favorite parts of the marriage deal." She let the caffeine flow through her system. "I mean the sex is pretty good, but the coffee...the Coffee is amazing. And you're all-round handy yourself most of the time.. thanks."
"Don't men
♥Sharon♥
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

LOVED IT. It is as simple as that. This series is crazy good. I’m still baffled as to how she does it. After 11 books I still adore Roarke and Eve.

In Judgement in Death cops are being murdered. One is murdered in a place Roarke owns. Eve is not surprised by this but this particular club connects Roarke to a man he thought he left in his past. Max Ricker would make a mistake that he’d regret.

Listen to me now, and carefully. Touch her, put your hand on what’s mine again, and I’ll follow you to
Jilly
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
So, there's a cop-killer in this book. But, he's only killing bad cops who were on the take, so really, is that so bad? I mean, it's a lot of work to catch a killer and he is kinda helping clean-up the police department.

Okay, okay. Killing is wrong. blah.blah.blah.

Along with this mystery is the mystery of Eve's stolen candy. She still hasn't caught the thief who is stealing her candy and actually had to resort to eating an apple. Why, God, why? Life can be so cruel. Of course, I have my suspicio
Poonam

What I like about these books are the way the investigation progresses in the futuristic world.

The name of the book exactly suggests why the killings are happening in this one... There is a killer judging and killing remorselessly..

Eve Dallas tries her best to sort out the mess and find the killer as soon as possible. She let's nothing stand in her way, not even the fact that she may be judged for her actions...

There was too much focus on Roarke and Eve's personal life and a lot of it c
Brenda
Judgment in Death is #11 in the In Death series, and a re-read for me. My love of this series continues – I would say it’s the best series I’ve ever read (my personal opinion of course!) Author JD Robb seems to have unlimited ideas for this series, and I hope she never runs out!

For Detective Eve Dallas, this case is far too personal. Cops dying, being brutally murdered one after the other – the rage of the killer was obvious; the little constants always there. Eve, with the help of the whole NYP
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Absolutely adore this series and it's characters!
Mei
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
"Nonetheless. Both of you reacted as natural for you, engaged in a bout of rough, sweaty sex that no doubt satisfied you."

"You'd have thought so, but we hadn't even cooled off when he picked me up off the floor and carried me into bed and did it all over again."

Mira stared, rather blankly. "Does he have a particular diet? Vitamins?"

This quote is fun, but it's much more fun when you think that's Mira speaking! LOL

In this series the absolute best are the characters! All the characters! Each on
Carolyn
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, crime, futuristic
Someone is killing cops on Eve Dallas' watch and she won't stand for that. The first cop was killed in a nightclub owned by her husband Roarke, so he won't stand for it either. Together they make a formidable team, but all is not peaches and cream and they have their first real row over Roarke's over-protectiveness of Eve when she's facing danger on the job.

All my favourite characters feature in this novel and are developing nicely. Peabody is enjoying juggling two lovers and sometimes giving E
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
This is my third time reading straight through the In Death series (have read certain books many times more), and I have to say it is pure pleasure each time. I first read the paperbacks, then had the pleasure of listening to Susan Ericksen's interpretation in the audiobooks, and now - this time, I'm reading them on Kindle. Never gets old. Judgement is a favorite for all the Roarke and Eve scenes as I'm a big fan of the character relationship development in the series. The supporting cast is awe ...more
Lisa Kay
Thirty pieces of silver.

description

★★★★★ & a W.O.W! (This is a review of the audiobook.) I feel like a parrot, because I keep saying this, but this series just keeps getting better and better. This is certainly due, in large part, to Susan Ericksen’s excellent narration. She knows these characters so well and is so versatile with the voices. Love the rugged, poetic Irish lilt of Roarke’s voice; the friendly airiness of Mavis’s; the professional, dependable, but decidedly sassy Detective Delia Peabody’s
Cyndi
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Of course I love this book. There is no one hotter than Roarke, and Eve is really cool, so...good team. But, my only draw back is something that shows itself in tons of books and real life. It's the private art collection of famous artists. Share them with the world. Art is not meant to be hoarded. I mean, books are art. What if those were hoarded? How terrible would it be if only one person could read Austen or Robb?

Reread July 2018 — Eve and the gang are on the hunt for a cop killer meanwhile
Irene Sim
5 blazing Stars!!

One of the best installments in the series (or maybe it is just me because it's been a while since I had a session with the gang.)

Have I told you how amazing Eve is? In all aspects of her life? She is a woman who has a working brain in that beautiful head of hers. It is uncommon in fiction, but this heroine actually THINKS.
As a cop, she doens't leave one angle unexplored, she actually has a knack for getting into any perpetrator's brain and anticipate his every move. In this b
Aly is so frigging bored
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mistery, action, audiobook
2nd read: 27th November-1st december 2014

1st read: 26th February- 13th March 2013

That's me every time I finish a book in this series
This is the first installment in the In death series that I review, and it’s hard! I loved everything, even the fighting, and I don’t have anything to say that the other people who wrote reviews didn’t say before me. It was a pleasure to listen to it, I don’t think I’ve enjoyed another audiobook more.

About the novel: In this book Eve deals with a cop killer and as
Kristen
I'm still completely and unapologetically addicted to the characters in this series - especially Eve and Roarke, but even the supporting characters are so real and relatable they get under my skin.

This time around, Eve's hunting a cop killer. A cop killer who seems to be killing cops who may or may not be on the take. Naturally, cops don't like to be investigated, especially by another cop, so Eve's not too popular - but, being Eve, that makes no difference at all to her doing what she has to do
Al *the serial series skipper*
I liked this one, if not for the mistake made by the killer I would have liked it till the end. As usual Eve and Roarke don't disappoint. I'm happy there was finally someone for Roarke to be jealous of too!
Lauren
Judgement in Death
4 Stars

Homicide Lieutenant Eve Dallas faces one of her most challenging cases when an off duty police officer is killed in a deliberate and vicious attack. As Eve unravels the clues, she is forced to confront the harsh realities of corruption within the force as well as cope with her husband's protective instincts.

The storyline revolving around the murders of several apparently corrupt police officers and their connection to a career criminal and former associate of Roarke's i
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
RTC!
Tina
Nov 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is the 11th book in the In Death series.

It is early Spring 2059 and Eve is called to the scene of a bludgeoning death in a classy, upscale strip club called Purgatory. The condition of the body is a testament to a rage kill and scattered amongst the remains are 30 pieces of silver.

Eve learns that the dead man was a cop and had once been a part of a police task force formed to put away a notorious criminal. But evidence was compromised, the case disintegrated and the criminal got away.

There
Wendy
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this 11th book in J.D. Robb's "In Death" series!
Andree
Jul 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Oh, I have mixed feelings about this one...

(view spoiler)
Kjen
So, I was re-reading this for the umpteenth time...love the drama that comes from a newly married relationship between two people with 'rock hard heads bashing against each other'...Mavis' words, not mine;) The whole Webster-Roarke fight and the resulting scene afterwards are vintage Robb...two of the most famous scenes in the series. A great read to get me in the mindset for the new In Death release coming soon!
Diane
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read - really do like Judgment in Death - all the angst, bodies piling up, wrong cops - real bad guy introduced! I can even overlook the Lieutenant being called a Detective! One of my favourite books in this series. Eve has lots of nasty characters to deal with and she does deal with them!

It's all a matter of who has the biggest balls - hmmmm, I would have to say Roarke does! :)

Two thumbs up and 5 stars!
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite books in this series are the ones that Roarke acts like the alpha dog he's portrayed to be, but rarely see. This installment totally delivers and just may be my favorite. I loved his caveman act and that he did not indulge Eve's every whim and take all the crap she constantly dishes out. I loved the fact that they had some turmoil within their marriage and it took honest communication and compromise to work it out. The case was interesting, especially when Roarke was enlisted to assi ...more
Shari Kay
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This was pretty good!

I figured out the who-dun-it fairly quickly but wasn't sure of the why or how it would pan out and shed a few tears with the way it did unfold.

Liked Webster and hope we see him again.

Roarke, of course, was awesome sauce with an extra side of yummy alpha thrown in. He played an active role in the secondary storyline and was very badass.

Eve continues to learn how to be in a relationship and did not get on my nerves too much this time with her double standards.

A few ends wer
Ann Lou
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another good one. A cop killer who is getting rid of bad and corrupt cops in gruesome ways. I feel bad because the killer is a good man but because of a great loss he had to avenge the loved one.

Eve and I have a like/dislike relationship. In this one, I like her. And I cried in the cemetery scene. I thought Eve was great there.

Eve and Roarke together is awesome plus the secondary characters whom I also love but in my opinion Roarke is the best character in this series. Perfect. Perfect. Perfecto
Yuli Pritania
Novel JD Robb favorit saya. Semua novel JD Robb itu bagus dan tanpa cela, di mata saya, tp saya plg suka yg ini. Karena disinilah pertama kalinya Eve dan Roarke bertengkar hebat cuma gr2 ego Roarke yg tercoreng sebagai laki-laki yg teritorinya diganggu. Novel ini penuh emosi, lbh intim, dengan plot yg luar biasa.

Kayaknya g ada lg yg bs saya komentarin. JD Robb will always be awesome.
Moondance
She stood in Purgatory and studied death.

Eve is called to the scene of a rather horrific murder. She soon discovers that the victim is a police officer who has been moonlighting as a bartender in a strip club owned by her husband, Roarke.

This series gets better with each book! The twists and turns with the police officers (good and bad), IAB and crazy underworld bosses is incredible. Eve has to worm her way through the truth and the lies in order to catch a killer.

This book brings up a lot of R
J.D. Robb : Judgment in Death (Spoiler Zone) 33 143 Nov 26, 2016 05:26PM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Judgment In Death (Mar. 2014) SPOILER ZONE 85 55 Jan 07, 2015 12:46PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #62 - Judgement in Death 1 1 Oct 28, 2014 12:40PM
Readers of Kindle...: Judgement in Death #11 4 15 Mar 14, 2012 06:25PM
  • Remember When
  • Don't Look Down (Samantha Jellicoe, #2)
  • Obsidian Prey (Ghost Hunters, #6)
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
  • The Dark Tide (The Adrien English Mysteries, #5)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 48 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
“Into the night, in the dark, he lay beside her, listening to her breathe. He knew the varied and sundry reasons a man would kill. But none were more fierce, none were more vital than to hold safe what he loved.” 39 likes
“Who's with her?" Roarke asked, though he already knew. It was just like her.

"With her? Oh, ah, hmmm. Webster."

Silence fell, a clatter of broken bricks. Peabody folded her hands in her pockets and prepared for the explosion to follow.

"I see." When Roarke simply turned back to the screen and continued, she didn't know whether to be relieved or scared to death.”
37 likes