Tournament of Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016 Tournament of Books > 2016 Longlist

Comments Showing 1-50 of 563 (563 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

message 1: by JenniferD (last edited Dec 12, 2015 11:17AM) (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 863 comments Posted this morning, the 2016 Tournament of Books Longlist has arrived! Or, as they called it, "...our long-ass list: 86 titles that we believe represent many of the finest works of fiction published in English (mostly in America) in 2015."

- Green on Blue, Elliot Ackerman
- The New World, by Chris Adrian, Eli Horowitz
- After Birth, by Elisa Albert
- Saint Mazie, by Jami Attenberg
- A Cure for Suicide, by Jesse Ball
- There's Something I Want You to Do: Stories, by Charle Baxter
- The State We're In: Maine Stories, by Ann Beattie
- The Sellout, by Paul Beatty
- A Manual for Cleaning Women: Selected Stories, by Lucia Berlin
- In the Unlikely Event, by Judy Blume

- The Harder They Come, by T.C. Boyle
- In Every Way: A Novel, by Nic Brown
- Vivian Apple at the End of the World, by Katie Coyle
- The Clasp, by Sloane Crosley
- Make Your Home Among Strangers, by Jennine Capo Crucet
- Outline, by Rachel Cusk
- She Came From Beyond!: A Novel, by Nadine Darling
- The Only Ones, by Carol Dibbell
- The Sunlit Night, by Rebecca Dinerstein
- Bats of the Republic: An Illuminated Novel, by Zachary Thomas Dodson

- The Infernal, Mark Doten
- A Small Indiscretion, by Jan Ellison
- The Story of the Lost Child, by Elena Ferrante
- The Turner House, by Angela Flourney
- Purity, by Jonathan Franzen
- Paulina & Fran, by Rachel B. Glaser
- Fates and Furies, by Lauren Groff
- City on Fire, by Garth Risk Hallberg
- Delicious Foods, by James Hannaham
- Our Souls at Night, by Kent Haruf

- Dear Thief, by Samantha Harvey
- Signs Preceding the End of the World, by Yuri Herrera
- Submission, by Michel Houellebecq
- Avenue of Mysteries, John Irving
- The Buried Giant, by Kazoo Ishiguro
- The Tusk That Did the Damage, by Tania James
- Fortune Smiles, by Adam Johnson
- Loving Day, by Mat Johnson
- Welcome to Braggsville, by T. Geronimo Johnson
- The First Bad Man, by Miranda July

- Ban En Banlieue, by Bhanu Kapi
- All for Nothing, by Walter Kempowski
- The Wake, by Paul Kingsnorth
- You Too Can Have a Body Like Mine, by Alexandra Gleeman
- Dancing in the Dark (My Struggle Book 4) , by Karl Ove Knausgaard
- I Am Radar: A Novel, by Reif Larsen
- Get in Trouble, by Kelly Link
- The Story of My Teeth, by Valeria Luiselli
- How to Start a Fire, by Lisa Lutz
- The Tsar of Love and Techno, by Anthony Marra

- Satin Island, by Tom McCarthy
- Slade House, by David Mitchell
- So You Don't Get Lost in the Neighborhood, by Patrick Modiano
- Hotels of North America, by Rick Moody
- God Help the Child, by Toni Morrison
- Eileen, by Odessa Moshfegh
- The Mark and the Void, by Paul Murray
- The Sympathizer, by Viet Thanh Nguyen
- Under the Udala Trees, by Chinelo Okparanta
- Among the Ten Thousand Things, by Julia Pierpont

- The Whites, by Richard Price
- Fuck Seth Price, by Seth Price
- Above the Waterfall, by Ron Rash
- The Voiceover Artist, by Dave Reidy
- Mort e , by Robert Repine
- War, So Much War, Mercè Rodoreda
- Oreo, by Fran Ross
- Aurora, by Kim Stanley Robinson
- The Poser, by Jacob Rubin
- The Book of Aron, by Jim Shepard

- Kitchens of the Great Midwest, by J. Ryan Stradal
- Seveneves, by Neal Stephenson
- Making Nice, by Matt Sumell
- Honor Girl: A Graphic Memoir, by Maggie Thrash
- The Last Flight of Poxl West, by Daniel Torday
- A Spool of Blue Thread, by Anne Tyler
- Find Me, by Laura van den Berg
- Lovers on All Saints' Day: Stories, by Juan Gabriel Vásquez
- Look Who's Back, by Timur Vermes
- The Invaders, by Karolina Waclawiak

- Gaza, Wyoming, by Seth Coulter Walls
- Gold Fame Citrus, by Claire Vaye Watkins
- The Game for Real, by Richard Weiner
- The Cartel, by Don Winslow
- A Little Life, by Hanya Yanagihara
- Mislaid, by Nell Zink

You can find the posting here, on The Morning News' website: http://www.themorningnews.org/article...

message 2: by AmberBug (new)

AmberBug com* | 444 comments Great job and thanks for doing this! It's a crazy list, very all over the place (which is a good thing).

message 3: by jo (new)

jo | 429 comments thank you jennifer! exciting.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 133 comments awesome work Jennifer, thank you so much!

message 5: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 863 comments it is kind of all over the place, amber. it's an interesting list. many of the books included came up and were considered during the alt-TOB planning...so that was cool to notice. but there are definitely a few books that are totally new-to-me. #SoManyBooks! :)

message 6: by JenniferD (last edited Dec 09, 2015 09:31AM) (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 863 comments as i mourned the exclusion of All My Puny Sorrows last year (still!)... i will admit complete sadness over Fifteen Dogs and Sweetland not being on this year's longlist. i will have to go off and make my suggestion to TMN powers-that-be! haha!!

totally thrilled they included Elena Ferrante again this year, wonder if she'll advance to final 16? and i am so fond of Saint Mazie. happy to see it on the list. i wonder if it will be as enjoyable on a re-read??

message 7: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 863 comments (and i suspect poingu will be thrilled to see Mort e on the longlist!!)

:)

message 8: by Lark (new)

Lark Benobi (larkbenobi) | 136 comments Jennifer wrote: "(and i suspect poingu will be thrilled to see Mort e on the longlist!!):)"

yep!

What a thoughtful list this is. Yes a lot of variety but what I see shining out as a core aesthetic value in these choices is that every author listed has a unique vision and a unique voice. Veteran author John Irving writes like John Irving and no other person alive. Robert Repino even as a first-time author writes like no other author except himself. I feel that way about every book on this list.

message 9: by Jan (new)

Jan (janrowell) | 1104 comments Jennifer, oh my gosh, thank you!! And Poingu, was an interesting observation -- thanks!!

message 10: by JenniferD (last edited Dec 09, 2015 12:31PM) (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 863 comments i have only read 9/86* books from this list. hahaha!!! (i do own 36 of the others, though.) i will be reading Oreo very soon, so that will go up to 6. but at this point, i will just wait for the final 16 to be revealed.

does anyone try and read a chunk of the longlist before the TOB begins?

* edited to correct #... because i can't count, apparently. :/

message 11: by Drew (new)

Drew (drewlynn) | 425 comments Jennifer wrote: "does anyone try and read a chunk of the longlist before the TOB begins? "

I tried last year and none of the books I read made it. I was not sorry I read them though; they were terrific.

message 12: by JenniferD (last edited Dec 09, 2015 10:47AM) (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 863 comments that's the thing, eh, drew? (end up glad you read them!) the books will still be on my TBR mountain... and i am totally happy for their longlist! it's a great resource.

message 13: by Lark (new)

Lark Benobi (larkbenobi) | 136 comments Jennifer wrote: "i have only read 5/86 books from this list. hahaha!!! i will be reading Oreo very soon, so that will go up to 6. but at this point, i will just wait for the final 16 to be revealed...."

eek, I've read 28 of them. I don't think I picked so well, only that i've read a lot of 2015 books. Also I've got a few from the library that are on the long list and that I was already planning to read--Aurora for one and Submission for another. But I'm waiting for the short list and reading those vs. trying to be a completist on purpose.

message 14: by Shane Marie (new)

Shane Marie Brown (shanemarie) | 6 comments I am going to read a few that were already on my radar but haven't gotten around to yet. Then try to choose a few that grab my attention but haven't heard of until today.

message 15: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 299 comments I have read 11/86 but there are at least 20 that was already on my tbr list.
While I hope a couple of them make the TOB 16 there are a couple that I am not expecting to make the final cut.

I know I will be reading the two on the long list that is also on the alt-tob list.

And I am going to try for a couple more.

I am hoping the TOB 16 gets announced before Jan 9th as I will be away the rest of January into early Feb with very limited internet access so would like to know which books to be reading.

message 16: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 299 comments poingu wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "i have only read 5/86 books from this list. hahaha!!! i will be reading Oreo very soon, so that will go up to 6. but at this point, i will just wait for the final 1..."

28 - that is wonderful!!!

message 17: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 50 comments There are a couple books that are a little out of my comfort zone based on the blurbs alone. So, of course, I would love to see one of them make the final 16...

"A woman known only as A lives in an unnamed American city with her roommate, B, and boyfriend, C. A eats mostly popsicles and oranges, watches endless amounts of television, often just for the commercials, and models herself on a standard of beauty that exists only in such advertising. Meanwhile, B is attempting to make herself a twin of A, who in turn hungers for something to give meaning to her life. Maybe something like what’s gotten into her neighbors across the street, the family who’s begun “ghosting” themselves beneath white sheets and whose garage dogor features a strange scrawl of graffiti: He who sits next to me, may we eat as one." ~ You Too Can Have a Body Like Mine

"By the end of the night, Ban moves into an incarnate and untethered presence, becoming all matter— soot, meat, diesel oil and force—as she loops the city with the energy of global weather." ~ Ban en Banlieue

message 18: by Lark (last edited Dec 09, 2015 11:29AM) (new)

Lark Benobi (larkbenobi) | 136 comments Kendra wrote: "There are a couple books that are a little out of my comfort zone based on the blurbs alone. So, of course, I would love to see one of them make the final 16..."

Kendra, I hereby award you the "Person Most Comfortable With Books Outside Their Comfort Zone" Award.

Seriously, it has been so cool to read your open minded reactions to everything you've been reading lately.

message 19: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 50 comments poingu wrote: "Kendra wrote: "There are a couple books that are a little out of my comfort zone based on the blurbs alone. So, of course, I would love to see one of them make the final 16..."

Kendra, I hereby aw..."

I'm not sure I deserve it although I'm flattered. :) Perhaps I'm the only reader in the group who is made uncomfortable by those 2 descriptions? And to be honest I don't think I've read anything outside my comfort zone yet. I've really loved all of the picks so far!

message 20: by Lark (new)

Lark Benobi (larkbenobi) | 136 comments Kendra wrote: "I'm not sure I deserve it although I'm flattered. :)"

no, you totally deserve it. I've noticed many times for alt.tob selections you will say something like "hmm, wasn't too sure about this one in the beginning but I kept reading and discovered it was a really great book." You have a very open spirit when it comes to reading!

message 21: by Jan (new)

Jan (janrowell) | 1104 comments I've read 16 and have another 11 on my (audio or physical) shelves. The book I'm happiest/most surprised to see is Don Winslow's The Cartel, which has gotten great reviews but is pretty genre-ish (thriller). I had put it on my "wait for the paperback" list, but I warmed up for it recently by reading The Power of the Dog, and it is a stunner.

I plan to finish my Alt.ToB reading (yay, Jennifer & Poingu), then read the books I've already got that are on the long list, and if the short list isn't out by then, I'll read things from the long list that I'm interested in but haven't gotten yet.

Happy reading, y'all!

message 22: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 648 comments You girls are awesome! I think I've read 5 or 6 tops but of course, have loads more in my TBR.
Poingu should be a judge based on quantity read alone.

message 23: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 50 comments I haven't finished a single one. I started both The Sellout and A Little Life earlier this year but got busy and set them aside. I'm currently reading Delicious Foods and will likely finish the other 4 that are in the alt-ToB.

message 24: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 50 comments poingu wrote: "Kendra wrote: "I'm not sure I deserve it although I'm flattered. :)"

no, you totally deserve it. I've noticed many times for alt.tob selections you will say something like "hmm, wasn't too sure ab..."

I guess that's true. Thank you for taking notice of my comments.

message 25: by Joy (new)

Joy | 20 comments I believe I will have read 9 or 10 titles by March. In the past I have tried to read as many books as possible by choosing the shortest off the list. This strategy has failed me in several ways. Today I begin THE MARK AND THE VOID simply because I so love SKIPPY DIES.

message 26: by Huntleybrinkley (new)

Huntleybrinkley (dapound) | 13 comments Apparently I am much better at acquiring rather than reading; I have about 35 of these books in my TBR, but have read only 5 (which will hopefully change to 10 before the ATOB is over). Essentially I'm not unlike the lady at the car rental agency in Seinfeld (I can buy the book but I can't seem to read it; and isn't that the most important part?)

message 27: by Jan (new)

Jan (janrowell) | 1104 comments Joy wrote: "I believe I will have read 9 or 10 titles by March. In the past I have tried to read as many books as possible by choosing the shortest off the list. This strategy has failed me in several ways. Today I begin THE MARK AND THE VOID simply because I so love SKIPPY DIES...."

Skippy Dies....yes, yes, YES!!! I may follow the same logic and read City on Fire. :-)

message 28: by Julie (new)

Julie (julnol) | 115 comments I loved, loved, loved Skippy Dies (and pushed it on to my husband to read who loved it for totally different reasons! A book with so much, leading to so much discussion! But The Mark And The Void left me cold. I will be interested to hear how you go with it (I had to push myself to even finish it)

message 29: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (sherribark) | 358 comments Thanks for starting this thread. I've read 12. I'm sad The Water Knife isn't here, but love seeing Ron Rash on the list.

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 10, 2015 04:22AM) (new)

I'm at 15 and very much with those sad about the lack of Sweetland and Fifteen Dogs. I also wish we had The Shore, which was my vote. Strangely enough, many of the titles on the list were books I just...really didn't love.

message 31: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 299 comments Sherri wrote: "Thanks for starting this thread. I've read 12. I'm sad The Water Knife isn't here, but love seeing Ron Rash on the list."

I too enjoy Ron Rash's work.
No one does Appalachia like he does - especially the North Carolina part of the Appalachia.

While Above the Waterfall is not one of absolute favs of his - if were handed a manuscript without an author's name on it - would probably say it is a Ron Rash book.

In this book I though he really excelled at describing the effect of meth on small rural towns.

message 32: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 863 comments The New Republic has an interesting piece on 5 books that really divided critics in 2015 and triggered the 'fear of missing out' reactions in readers -- 3 of which are on the TOB longlist: A Little Life, Purity, City on Fire. (the other two: Did You Ever Have a Family and Spinster: Making a Life of One's Own.)

https://newrepublic.com/article/12526...

message 33: by AmberBug (new)

AmberBug com* | 444 comments Spinster was a favorite of mine this year, but I'm probably a good candidate for that one since I don't want kids.

message 34: by Karen (new)

Karen Brown (khbrown) | 54 comments I'm happy to see a few of my favorites from 2015! Also quite a few titles that I haven't heard of (one of my favorite aspects of the tournament.) I've read 12 on the long list. I purchased City on Fire, Purity, You Too Can Have a Body Like Mine, and Slade House but they are still in my TBR pile. Two additional titles are currently on loan from my local public library: Outline by Rachel Cusk (about a third of the way through) and Fortune Smiles by Adam Johnson. I'll finish Outline and then think I'll finally pick up Skippy Dies before moving on to others on the long list.

message 35: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 09, 2015 09:00PM) (new)

From the longlist: I've read 18, considered, but opted not to read 33 (for a variety of reasons), and had not heard of the rest, several of which are now on my TBR.

message 36: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 123 comments The Harder They Come Kindle version is currently $1.99.

message 37: by Alex (new)

Alex | 48 comments Jennifer wrote: "The New Republic has an interesting piece on 5 books that really divided critics in 2015 and triggered the 'fear of missing out' reactions in readers -- 3 of which are on the TOB longlist: [book:A ..."

that is a wonderful article.

message 38: by JenniferD (last edited Dec 10, 2015 05:43AM) (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 863 comments Alex wrote: "that is a wonderful article."

so glad you thought so too, alex! it got me to wondering which books i would have included if i was writing the same article. the ones that popped into my mind, though based on reader responses and not critical reviews: Fates and Furies, Mislaid, and Go Set a Watchman.

message 39: by Ellen (new)

Ellen H | 800 comments I've read 10 2/3 of them. 5 are on the Alt ToB list. Another 6 are on my TBR list. Most I've never even heard of...

message 40: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 299 comments Rachel wrote: "The Harder They Come Kindle version is currently $1.99."

Thanks for sharing

message 41: by Lark (new)

Lark Benobi (larkbenobi) | 136 comments whaa? Jennifer I think I just accidentally deleted more than one message?

Sorry everyone! I'm still confused and distressed by my secret Moderator Powers.

message 42: by Lark (new)

Lark Benobi (larkbenobi) | 136 comments Jennifer wrote: "The New Republic has an interesting piece on 5 books that really divided critics in 2015 and triggered the 'fear of missing out' reactions in readers -- 3 of which are on the TOB longlist: [book:A ..."

Thanks for linking, Jennifer. Fascinating. There does seem to be a lot of groupthink about certain books, or books get 'hot' or maybe it's just that reviewers don't want to feel stupid.

I thought Janet Malcolm's review of A Little Life was quite negative when it came out so I don't think she had any conflict of interest holding her back.

Also I never felt Purity love in any reviews I read. It was more like people were saying: "wow, this is so bad, and everyone knows Franzen is a good novelist, so he must be writing badly on purpose for literary effect." Like Colm Toibin's review in the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/30/boo...

message 43: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 863 comments reposting.

over in another thread poingu asked:

message 138: by poingu 1 hour, 39 min ago
Now that the long list is out I would love to know the best guess about the short list, from anyone here who enjoys thinking such thoughts.

seemed good to link it here, with the list available above for easy reference.

i have totally been thinking about this!!! :) i will table a guess when i have thought about it more. but, in the meantime, i have been amused by the thought of them including City on Fire and A Little Life to really up the big book factor! (thank goodness they left The Dying Grass: A Novel of the Nez Perce War off the longlist! haha!!)

message 44: by Lark (new)

Lark Benobi (larkbenobi) | 136 comments Jennifer wrote: "reposting."

Thanks Jennifer.

Do we think in our collective wisdom that the 16 have already been picked and the long list is the "let's give everyone a prize!" list, or does the Morning News Staff now spend anguished days trying to pick the best from the best?

message 45: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca H. | 99 comments My guess is that there will still be (friendly) arguments about what should be in the final 16 the evening before the list itself is posted :)

message 46: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 863 comments i am thinking they know the 16 already.

message 47: by Lark (new)

Lark Benobi (larkbenobi) | 136 comments ah, the wonders of collective wisdom

message 48: by JenniferD (last edited Dec 10, 2015 12:02PM) (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 863 comments Jennifer wrote: "i am thinking they know the 16 already."

or, rather, the 15 -- if they are putting in 1 book based on popular votes.

i also feel like they have the judges lined up (save for the reader-judge, of course), and are working with publishers to get the books into TMN's office, or out to judges.

message 49: by Lark (new)

Lark Benobi (larkbenobi) | 136 comments Jennifer wrote: "i also feel like they have the judges lined up (save for the reader-judge, of course), and are working with publishers to get the books into TMN's office, or out to judges. "

Well that's no fun. I prefer to think they are having a very tough time trying to imagine how to make their list even one book shorter than these 86 finalists.

message 50: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 27 comments Do people know Franzen is a good novelist? I kind of thought his full-time job was saying dumb things in traditional media (The Guardian, the New Yorker, what have you), and being hilariously roasted for it in new media. I mean, it's practically become it's own meme.

I don't grasp at all what Toibin is getting at in his review. His lapses into summary and description leave me guessing as to what his actual opinion or analysis of Purity is.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.