Talk of the Town discussion

Carry On (Simon Snow, #1)
This topic is about Carry On
#4A: Carry On > Baz and Snow (I like Snow better than Simon ... just like Baz)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by PB (new) - rated it 4 stars

PB (darlingdarcy) | 168 comments Mod
At first, it was pretty disturbing.
I kept having that feeling that it will end up that way because of the way they described each other and observed each other, but then I thought it was just because the author is female and sometimes it's hard to eliminate that feminine point of view. I experience that a lot when I try to write in a guy's point of view, because somehow it starts sounds too poetic and mushy and just girlish.

I thought it made for a very interesting plot twist. I probably wouldn't have framed it like that myself, but it made it more interesting, I guess.
I mean they were both very good looking, and I had this big crush on Baz's character, so it wasn't that bad once I got used to it. After a while, I just had to stop thinking they were both guys. Just another love story.. and thankfully, not so tragic.

Matthew (funkygman007) | 14 comments Yeah - it was a fun love story - not the best I have ever read - but the demographic between the two characters was interesting whether they were the same or opposite sexes. Actually, my criticism of it would be that it did feel kind of forced. It was what we were all expecting after reading Fangirl, but it was like Baz was in love with Simon and Simon was just suddenly okay with that. I suppose those feelings could have secretly been manifesting themselves in the "previous books" and Simon having to know where Baz was at all times.

message 3: by PB (new) - rated it 4 stars

PB (darlingdarcy) | 168 comments Mod
Matthew wrote: "Yeah - it was a fun love story - not the best I have ever read - but the demographic between the two characters was interesting whether they were the same or opposite sexes. Actually, my criticism ..."

Well said.
I have not read Fangirl, so that was really a sudden turn of events for me.

Matthew (funkygman007) | 14 comments Peachy wrote: "I have not read Fangirl, so that was really a sudden turn of events for me."

Wow - I kind of thought that only people who have read Fangirl would read this. I suppose having it on the Goodreads Choice List has put it on quite a few reading lists that do not also have Fangirl.