Serial Readers discussion

Children's Books > Classics

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SerialReader, Moderator (new)

SerialReader | 220 comments Mod
Hello Readers,

I have a confession to make: I read children's books.
I'm not ashamed saying that some days I love to get lost in those magical worlds and I come back to reality only when my faith into humanity gets restored :)

I was born in the early 80s and I was lucky enough to have access to some of the most amazing children's books ever.
Let's face it, modern children's stuff is awful.. writers and publishers sometimes overestimate and, even more often, underestimate young readers capacities; they fob them off with really “crappy” material… pardon my french :P

Anyway, the books I’m gonna share with you are the same I’ve read as a child.
These are classics.. Real ones you’ll never forget even in your 20s or 40s.
In 20 years nobody will remember that “wimpy kid”, right? but I’m pretty sure everyone knows about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or White Fang].

Having said that, you can find those gems right on our bookshelf.
Feel free to share some magic and let us know what’s your favourite book from childhood
Happy reading everyone!

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 07, 2015 12:59PM) (new)

Modern stuff is awful. I grew up with Golden Books. My father always used to read The Sleepy Bunny.

A poor little bunny yawns and gets a bumble bee in his mouth that falls asleep!

The Tawny Scrawny Lion
The Saggy Baggy Elephant - my favorite
Tootles
The Poky Little Puppy - my all time favorite

message 3: by SerialReader, Moderator (new)

Kelly B wrote: "Modern stuff is awful. I grew up with Golden Books. My father always used to read The Sleepy Bunny.

A poor little bunny yawns and gets a bumble bee in his mouth that falls asleep!

The Tawny Scr..."

I do remember those books :) The Sleepy Bunny was my first book :)

message 4: by CL (last edited Dec 09, 2015 07:40AM) (new)

CL (cljones) | 2 comments Charlotte's Web Charlotte's Web by E.B. White & Stuart Little Stuart Little by E.B. White both by E.B. White. Those were when I first learned that reading was magic. And I also read them over and over.

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Russell | 83 comments The chalet school series by Elinor m Brent dyer. Still love them even now.

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 56 comments Loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory & Charlotte's Web.
The Boxcar Children was a fantastic series that I loved! In the past year or so I fell in love with some even older children's books like The Secret Garden, A Little Princess and Anne of Green Gables
I keep pushing my kids to read some of these older books that I read when I was younger because they're such great books

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Russell | 83 comments I loved the Anne of Green Gables series as a child as well. Have been thinking of re reading them but am afraid I won't like them as much now reading them as an adult

message 8: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 12 comments I'm a little older than you so my favorites go back. I've loved all of the Golden books but probably my favorite too was The Poky Little Puppy
When I really started getting into books I loved Heidi must have read it umpteen times; the Bobbsey Twins books, and when I was a bit older one of my all time favorites -
Where the Red Fern Grows I cried so much my mother told me to stop reading it.

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Russell | 83 comments I loved Heidi as well. I also remember the Bobbsy Twins

message 10: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 12 comments Then of course I moved on ... a series called The Happy Hollisters, Nancy Drew, The Dana Girls and after I read all of the Nancy Drew books in the library, I tried a few Cherry Ames, but didn't care for them as much.

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Russell | 83 comments I read and enjoyed Nancy Drew. I also enjoyed The Hardy Boys.. I read Sue Barton nurse series. I also enjoyed Dimsie by Dorita Fairlie Bruce

message 12: by Luella (last edited Apr 05, 2016 11:27AM) (new)

Luella When I was little we read a lot the one I most remember were the Just So Stories. I know we read a few others too.

I read all of Narnia when I was still little too but I only remember the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. I've been thinking of re-reading the series.

As a pre-teen though I read Babysitters Club and Animorphs which I really liked.

More to your point Serial there is a great bit about Clifford here from comedian Louis C.K. which kind of illustrates your point.

Louis C.K. isn't for everyone though lots of swearing and what not if your adverse I know some people are...

message 13: by SerialReader, Moderator (new)

Luella wrote: "When I was little we read a lot the one I most remember were the Just So Stories. I know we read a few others too.

I read all of Narnia when I was still little too but I only remembe..."

Lol! thanks for sharing that, you made my day lol :D
I grew up with The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Oliver Twist, Matilda, Treasure Island, The Wizard of Oz... wonderful stories that fed my imagination. I remember me and my friends pretending to be explorers, or trying to build a fortress in the woods :) and it's sad to see the kind of books kids are reading today are all about post-apocaliptic/war/zombies..
I don't know what's wrong with the publishing industry today but they definitely doing it wrong.. 70 books about Clifford the Big Red Dog?? lol! C'mon..lol

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 56 comments SerialReader wrote: "Luella wrote: "When I was little we read a lot the one I most remember were the Just So Stories. I know we read a few others too.

I read all of Narnia when I was still little too but..."

Let's add Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Where the Wild things are and The Very Hungry Catapillar to the ongoing list of amazing Children's books.
I loved The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Matilda when I was younger. I think today's children lack a lot of imagination ( mine included) because everything is so electronically focused and the books quite honestly aren't all that great( I've seen what my kids bring home from the library) and I totally don't get the whole zombie thing lol

message 15: by Luella (new)

Luella Goodreads just posted this today https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/6...

message 16: by SerialReader, Moderator (new)

Luella wrote: "Goodreads just posted this today https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/6..."

Cool :) Thanks for sharing!