Start by marking “Stuart Little” as Want to Read:
Stuart Little

Stuart Little

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  107,952 ratings  ·  2,765 reviews
A paperback edition of E.B. White's classic novel about one small mouse on a very big adventure! With black and white illustrations.

Stuart Little is no ordinary mouse. Born to a family of humans, he lives in New York City with his parents, his older brother George, and Snowbell the cat. Though he's shy and thoughtful, he's also a true lover of adventure.

Stuart's greatest a
Published 2006 by HarperCollins (first published 1945)

To ask other readers questions about Stuart Little, please sign up.
Xydel Yes, I agree this book is a real cliff hanger but I do not think there is a sequel.
Marilyn Photocopying this book would be a violation of copywright laws. BUY a copy at your local bookstore of if you can not afford to buy one, borrow a copy …morePhotocopying this book would be a violation of copywright laws. BUY a copy at your local bookstore of if you can not afford to buy one, borrow a copy from your local library.(less)

·  107,952 ratings  ·  2,765 reviews

Start your review of Stuart Little
karen
Apr 23, 2007 rated it it was ok
uh- oh - someone just lost two stars. i remember liking this book when i read it as a child, and i loved trumpet of the swan and charlotte's web like no other, so i just sense-memoried this into 4 stars. now that i reread it for my paper, it gets what it deserves. it is no good. it is inexplicably bad. and i've since learned that the ending on this was rushed because e.b. white was a hypochondriac who was convinced he was about to die and wanted to get this out to the publishers before that happ ...more
kingshearte
Feb 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, 2010, kids
Strange little book. The premise is one I enjoy, as I've always been somewhat fascinated by unusually small things, and the notion of experiencing the world from the perspective of a very small being. So I loved all the little contraptions and whatnot created to help Stuart function in a human-sized house.

However, the book kind of felt like White didn't really know what he was doing with it or where he was going with it. The first half of it consists of largely unrelated, episodic adventures aro
Bionic Jean
Stuart Little is a children's novel from 1946, by Elwyn Brooks White, who was also the author of the more famous "Charlotte's Web". However Stuart Little is a bit of a period piece, rather than a true classic.

Stuart Little is a talking mouse who lives in New York City with his human parents, older brother George, and Snowbell the cat. He is a rather pompous sort of fellow, dressing in either a sailor suit or formal clothes, and affecting English manners - except when he speaks the American slang
Diane
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A friend mentioned that this was one of her favorite children's books, and I realized I had never read it. It didn't pack the emotional wallop that Charlotte's Web did, but it's still a fun, sweet story.

Stuart Little was born only two inches high and he looked like a mouse, but luckily his parents and big brother loved him anyway. The book is a series of Stuart's adventures, such as the time he got stuck in the window shade, or when he won a sailboat race in Central Park, or when he befriended a
Jamie
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Stuart Little is one of those books I used to recommend to parents when I worked in a bookstore. I liked “Charlotte’s Web,” and it’s undisputedly a classic. Robin William’s character in “Mrs. Doubtfire” reads it to baby Natalie (while this isn’t necessarily a ringing endorsement it certainly attests to the classical status of this book). And so, when baby Alice and I were choosing our book from the library last week it was between Stuart and something more modern like Funke. Because Alice was bo ...more
bup
Oct 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This is the first book that ever blew my mind - by far my favorite children's novel. One thing I look for in a book, I've realized, is a knockout ending - a book better have a good payoff.

I don't want to spoil the ending here, but when my ten-year-old self got there, I couldn't believe it. How could E.B. White leave it like that? How can he leave so much unanswered? Moreover, how could he do that and still have it be so powerful and work so effectively?

I still am moved every time I read the last
Sheila Beaumont
I missed out on this as a child, but I'm glad I finally got around to reading this delightful tale of the intelligent, brave, kind mouse-child. I was surprised that it ended so abruptly, but since Stuart loves adventure so much, I guess it suits him. My favorite chapter was the one where he teaches school. The story is enhanced by Garth Williams' lovely illustrations.
Asghar Abbas
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Excellent. How children's book should be. Lessons to be learned from an unlikely hero.
Pure magic. Pure fun. Pure adventure. There was this scene where Stuart teaches a classroom full of kids; that was a touch of genius, pure gold. The ending was very whimsical, I liked it. No way its movie adaption could ever touch this fine work of art.
Hayat
I'm just glad I didn't read this book as a child or the idea that Mrs Little gave birth to a mouse, and everyone thinks it's strange but perfectly natural, would've really freaked me out enough to ask my parents awkward questions.
Tatevik Najaryan
I remember I loved the movie when I was little and always wanted to have the book after I learned from the movie Mrs. Doubtfire that there was one.
But I got disappointed. The story was cute, but somehow I expected something like Charlotte's Web. It was a little boring (which is not definetly because I read this as an adult, children's is my second favourite genre). I felt like the storyline was interrupted in the middle. Maybe he intended to continue and have series about Stuart.
I like E.B. Whit
Jason Koivu
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Almost as soon as the day he was born Stuart Little was asking for brandy and smokes. Did Mrs. Little birth a grown man, ala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr216H... ??? No, she birthed a mouse, apparently.

These are tall tales of a rather short stature, but that doesn't diminish their enjoyment. In his clean, straight forward style E. B. White laid down a loosely connected collection of stories about a charming little guy in a big world, using size to some good comic effect through out.

On the
Shelby
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars
This book was good and kind of cute book to read. I have seen the movie and I thought it was a little bit better than the book surprisingly. I thought the writing was good and the story line though. Overall I thought it was a good book.
Jeanette McCulloh
Mar 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: classic
I did not like two humans having a mouse baby. It does not seem to phase anybody else, though.
Jess the Shelf-Declared Bibliophile
Cute quick read. I wish it had a more defined ending though.
lark benobi
When Mrs. Frederick C. Little's second son arrived, everybody noticed that he was not much bigger than a mouse. The truth of the matter was, the baby looked very much like a mouse in every way.

The last time I read Stuart Little I was seven years old, and, my god, this book is just as horrific and grotesque as I remember. Imagine if you were expecting a baby and instead you gave birth to a tiny creature from the order rodentia. Complete with a hairless tail that is as long as its body. White spen
Sherril
⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ rounded down to 2 ½ stars and here’s why.
I listened to the audiobook of Stuart Little by E. B. White, who also wrote one of my favorite children’s classics, Charlotte’s Web. Let’s start by saying, Stuart Little is no Charlotte’s Web. I will also admit that in this case, I do believe the actual book may have been better than the audiobook. I own the book and I’ve looked at it since finishing listening to the audiobook. I right away noticed instances of the use of lovely language, which
Lesley
this was a childhood favorite of mine and glad I introduced this story to my daughter when she was younger!
Dolly
May 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
When I was a child I absolutely adored Charlotte's Web. I read it over and over again and I absolutely adored the animated film (the original, of course.) I also loved The Trumpet of the Swan and read that several times as well.

But thinking back, I don't remember ever reading this book before. I knew the basic concept of the plot and the movie version of the tale is well-known. But for some reason, this book never really stuck with me. Perhaps I started it and never finished it. I just don't re
Amina
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
I couldn't, I tried but couldn't add one more chapter after reading almost 50%.
The characters are so hard to connect with, I loved Charlotte's web so so much but this one is a complete disaster for me.
Calista
This is nothing of what I expected. Knowing this is the same author of Charlotte's Web, I expected more. Stuart is born of human parents and for some reason he is a mouse. He lives in a lovely family in New York City with a cat. Then a bird named Margalo joins them. Stuart goes sailing. One day Margalo leaves the house toward the middle of the book and so Stuart runs away from home without saying goodbye to search for his bird friend. He heads north. The stories ends in the middle of the search. ...more
Jason
Aug 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
I was probably 7 or 8 the first time I went through this one, and have doubtless read it through 10 times since. One of those timelessly classic children's stories you just always go back to. It just hearkens back to a simpler America; makes me think of hot summers and lemonade and tire swings and reading on the trampoline in the backyard.
Suzy Davies
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A delightful children's book, with imaginative characterisation and a sense of adventure. Character development is not quite as well-rounded as Charlotte's Web, but the little mouse's journey to find his bird friend pulls at the heartstrings. As one would expect, the details of settings and scenes in the book are enchanting, as are the illustrations by Garth Williams. It is a nice surprise to have a satisfactory but open ending which allows children to imagine what happens next on Stuart's trave ...more
Jayne Ekins
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidsoutloud
Goodness, I love this book. Charming and bittersweet-- the mark of E.B. White. The search for Margalo-- we'll never know...

-My kids love it when I read this part very fast.

"Have you any sarsaparilla in your store?" asked Stuart. "I've got a ruinous thirst."

"Certainly," said the storekeeper. "Gallons of it. Sarsaparilla, root beer, birch beer, ginger ale, Moxie, lemon soda, Coca Cola, Pepsi Cola, Dipsi Cola, Pipsi Cola, Popsi Cola, and raspberry cream tonic. Anything you want."

"Let me have a bott
Olivia
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wow how different this book reads in 2017 and as an adult.
It was surprising more than anything else. Stuart is a bit brazen! He shoots guns off in the air on sail boats, he asks for a "nip of brandy," he runs away from home un-remorsefully, he shoots an arrow into the cat's ear, he sulks when things don't go his way... overall I was not too impressed with Stuart Little the way I was as a kid.
Also his "adventures" seemed rather boring. Or maybe I am just too used to newer higher quality children'
Kayla
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
3 Stars.

This was a sweet, quick and fun little read. I am absolutely in love with the character of Stuart Little!
Gator
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Richard
Was anyone else freaked out by the fact that at the beginning of the story, a pair of humans, having already produced one human child, now bring forth a mouse? And this is mentioned very matter-of-factly, without any attempt at explanation, e.g. the mother's DNA was accidentally combined with that of a rodent during a lab experiment gone horribly, horribly wrong.

And if we don't choose to go the route preferred by Marvel Comics, one would expect some sort of fantasy-related back-story. At least
Terris
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I know that this is a children's book (which for some reason I didn't read as a child), but I absolutely loved it!!! It is sometimes interesting to read a children's book as an adult. I think adults can appreciate some of the author's humor that children are not mature enough to understand yet.
This book is so funny, I often laughed out loud. And when I finished, I went back to the beginning and started to read it again -- not all the way, but it was still so funny that I think I could go straigh
Nev
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
Like… what even was the point of this book? There’s no overarching plot, just random stories that are mostly unconnected from one another, and it ends in a really unsatisfying way.
Glenna
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I read this to my kids and they are scandalized by the abrupt ending. 😬
Goodreads Librari...: Book Summary 2 188 Jun 29, 2017 07:15AM
101 Books to Read...: Stuart Little 3 8 Feb 06, 2016 01:29PM

• The Mouse and the Motorcycle (Ralph S. Mouse, #1)
  • Mr. Popper's Penguins
  • Pippi Longstocking
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • James and the Giant Peach
  • Heidi: Heidis Lehr- und Wanderjahre
  • The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs
  • Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins, #1)
  • The Tale of Despereaux
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, #1)
  • Harold and the Purple Crayon (Harold, #1)
  • The Borrowers (The Borrowers, #1)
  • Because of Winn-Dixie
  • Horton Hatches the Egg
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • The Cricket in Times Square (Chester Cricket and His Friends, #1)
  • The BFG
Elwyn Brooks White was a leading American essayist, author, humorist, poet and literary stylist and author of such beloved children's classics as Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, and The Trumpet of the Swan. He graduated from Cornell University in 1921 and, five or six years later, joined the staff of The New Yorker magazine. He authored over seventeen books of prose and poetry and was elected to t ...more

News & Interviews

“A shaft of sunlight at the end of a dark afternoon, a note of music, and the way the back of a baby’s neck smells if it’s mother keeps it tidy,” answered Henry.
“Correct,” said Stuart. “Those are the important things. You forgot one thing, though. Mary Bendix, what did Henry Rackmeyer forget?”
“He forgot ice cream with chocolate sauce on it,” said Mary quickly.”
32 likes
“Well,” said Stuart, “a misspelled word is an abomination in the sight of everyone.” 29 likes