Start by marking “Stuart Little” as Want to Read:
Stuart Little

Stuart Little

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  98,357 ratings  ·  2,357 reviews
A paperback edition of E.B. White's classic novel about one small mouse on a very big adventure! With black and white illustrations.

Stuart Little is no ordinary mouse. Born to a family of humans, he lives in New York City with his parents, his older brother George, and Snowbell the cat. Though he's shy and thoughtful, he's also a true lover of adventure.

Stuart's greatest a
Published February 1st 2005 by HarperCollins (first published 1945)

To ask other readers questions about Stuart Little, please sign up.
Marilyn Photocopying this book would be a violation of copywright laws. BUY a copy at your local bookstore of if you can not afford to buy one, borrow a copy…morePhotocopying this book would be a violation of copywright laws. BUY a copy at your local bookstore of if you can not afford to buy one, borrow a copy from your local library.(less)
Eric I think it would be a very big stretch to say this book comments on gender preferences.
There are a few passages about choosing clothing but nothing…more
There are a few passages about choosing clothing but nothing but I cant think of anything that could be seen as relating to gender preference.
(less)

·  98,357 ratings  ·  2,357 reviews

karen
Apr 23, 2007 rated it it was ok
uh- oh - someone just lost two stars. i remember liking this book when i read it as a child, and i loved trumpet of the swan and charlotte's web like no other, so i just sense-memoried this into 4 stars. now that i reread it for my paper, it gets what it deserves. it is no good. it is inexplicably bad. and i've since learned that the ending on this was rushed because e.b. white was a hypochondriac who was convinced he was about to die and wanted to get this out to the publishers before that happ ...more
kingshearte
Feb 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, fiction, kids
Strange little book. The premise is one I enjoy, as I've always been somewhat fascinated by unusually small things, and the notion of experiencing the world from the perspective of a very small being. So I loved all the little contraptions and whatnot created to help Stuart function in a human-sized house.

However, the book kind of felt like White didn't really know what he was doing with it or where he was going with it. The first half of it consists of largely unrelated, episodic adventures aro
Diane
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A friend mentioned that this was one of her favorite children's books, and I realized I had never read it. It didn't pack the emotional wallop that Charlotte's Web did, but it's still a fun, sweet story.

Stuart Little was born only two inches high and he looked like a mouse, but luckily his parents and big brother loved him anyway. The book is a series of Stuart's adventures, such as the time he got stuck in the window shade, or when he won a sailboat race in Central Park, or when he befriended a
Bionic Jean
Stuart Little is a children's novel from 1946, by Elwyn Brooks White, who was also the author of the more famous "Charlotte's Web". However Stuart Little is a bit of a period piece, rather than a true classic.

Stuart Little is a talking mouse who lives in New York City with his human parents, older brother George, and Snowbell the cat. He is a rather pompous sort of fellow, dressing in either a sailor suit or formal clothes, and affecting English manners - except when he speaks the American slang
Jamie
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Stuart Little is one of those books I used to recommend to parents when I worked in a bookstore. I liked “Charlotte’s Web,” and it’s undisputedly a classic. Robin William’s character in “Mrs. Doubtfire” reads it to baby Natalie (while this isn’t necessarily a ringing endorsement it certainly attests to the classical status of this book). And so, when baby Alice and I were choosing our book from the library last week it was between Stuart and something more modern like Funke. Because Alice was bo ...more
bup
Oct 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This is the first book that ever blew my mind - by far my favorite children's novel. One thing I look for in a book, I've realized, is a knockout ending - a book better have a good payoff.

I don't want to spoil the ending here, but when my ten-year-old self got there, I couldn't believe it. How could E.B. White leave it like that? How can he leave so much unanswered? Moreover, how could he do that and still have it be so powerful and work so effectively?

I still am moved every time I read the last
Asghar Abbas
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Excellent. How children's book should be. Lessons to be learned from an unlikely hero.
Pure magic. Pure fun. Pure adventure. There was this scene where Stuart teaches a classroom full of kids; that was a touch of genius, pure gold. The ending was very whimsical, I liked it. No way its movie adaption could ever touch this fine work of art.
Hayat
I'm just glad I didn't read this book as a child or the idea that Mrs Little gave birth to a mouse, and everyone thinks it's strange but perfectly natural, would've really freaked me out enough to ask my parents awkward questions.
Jeanette McCulloh
Mar 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: classic
I did not like two humans having a mouse baby. It does not seem to phase anybody else, though.
Jason Koivu
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Almost as soon as the day he was born Stuart Little was asking for brandy and smokes. Did Mrs. Little birth a grown man, ala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr216H... ??? No, she birthed a mouse, apparently.

These are tall tales of a rather short stature, but that doesn't diminish their enjoyment. In his clean, straight forward style E. B. White laid down a loosely connected collection of stories about a charming little guy in a big world, using size to some good comic effect through out.

On the
Shelby
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars
This book was good and kind of cute book to read. I have seen the movie and I thought it was a little bit better than the book surprisingly. I thought the writing was good and the story line though. Overall I thought it was a good book.
Jessica
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute quick read. I wish it had a more defined ending though.
Lesley
this was a childhood favorite of mine and glad I introduced this story to my daughter when she was younger!
Dolly
May 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
When I was a child I absolutely adored Charlotte's Web. I read it over and over again and I absolutely adored the animated film (the original, of course.) I also loved The Trumpet of the Swan and read that several times as well.

But thinking back, I don't remember ever reading this book before. I knew the basic concept of the plot and the movie version of the tale is well-known. But for some reason, this book never really stuck with me. Perhaps I started it and never finished it. I just don't re
Jason
Aug 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
I was probably 7 or 8 the first time I went through this one, and have doubtless read it through 10 times since. One of those timelessly classic children's stories you just always go back to. It just hearkens back to a simpler America; makes me think of hot summers and lemonade and tire swings and reading on the trampoline in the backyard.
Amina
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
I couldn't, I tried but couldn't add one more chapter after reading almost 50%.
The characters are so hard to connect with, I loved Charlotte's web so so much but this one is a complete disaster for me.
Kayla
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
3 Stars.

This was a sweet, quick and fun little read. I am absolutely in love with the character of Stuart Little!
Jayne Ekins
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidsoutloud
Goodness, I love this book. Charming and bittersweet-- the mark of E.B. White. The search for Margalo-- we'll never know...

-My kids love it when I read this part very fast.

"Have you any sarsaparilla in your store?" asked Stuart. "I've got a ruinous thirst."

"Certainly," said the storekeeper. "Gallons of it. Sarsaparilla, root beer, birch beer, ginger ale, Moxie, lemon soda, Coca Cola, Pepsi Cola, Dipsi Cola, Pipsi Cola, Popsi Cola, and raspberry cream tonic. Anything you want."

"Let me have a bott
Olivia
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wow how different this book reads in 2017 and as an adult.
It was surprising more than anything else. Stuart is a bit brazen! He shoots guns off in the air on sail boats, he asks for a "nip of brandy," he runs away from home un-remorsefully, he shoots an arrow into the cat's ear, he sulks when things don't go his way... overall I was not too impressed with Stuart Little the way I was as a kid.
Also his "adventures" seemed rather boring. Or maybe I am just too used to newer higher quality children'
Calista
This is nothing of what I expected. Knowing this is the same author of Charlotte's Web, I expected more. Stuart is born of human parents and for some reason he is a mouse. He lives in a lovely family in New York City with a cat. Then a bird named Margalo joins them. Stuart goes sailing. One day Margalo leaves the house toward the middle of the book and so Stuart runs away from home without saying goodbye to search for his bird friend. He heads north. The stories ends in the middle of the search. ...more
Narges
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
بیشک از موردعلاقههای کودکی -هم کتاب، هم کارتون- ...more
Richard
Was anyone else freaked out by the fact that at the beginning of the story, a pair of humans, having already produced one human child, now bring forth a mouse? And this is mentioned very matter-of-factly, without any attempt at explanation, e.g. the mother's DNA was accidentally combined with that of a rodent during a lab experiment gone horribly, horribly wrong.

And if we don't choose to go the route preferred by Marvel Comics, one would expect some sort of fantasy-related back-story. At least
Kelly
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My daughter and I read this out loud, chapter by chapter over the past two weeks. What a treat! I've never actually read the book, only seen the movie. I prefer the book. The movie I guess makes a more complete story, but I like the episodic nature of the chapters of the book. I also thought the writing was just magic. It was well written and Stuart is so well-spoken, and yet it was easy enough for my seven year old to read and enjoy.
Claire
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
In Tom's words, "a delightful little read."
Stuart appears with next to no explanation (just what he needs) and becomes the most helpful and genteel addition to his Little family. With a series of escapades - including a sailing incident, getting trapped in window blinds, and chasing a runaway invisible car - this diminutive hero eventually sets out to seek his fortune and find a lost bird. E.B. White's writing is quick and clever and his capacious imagination is something to be envied. I think
Kate Audsley
Just a few things to note:
I think I read this when I was a kid? But as an adult I was very surprised to discover that Stuart Little is more akin to a somewhat moody middle aged man than someone's little boy.

Second, I liked reading this classic more than Charlottes Web and other E.B. White books I've read to the kids. White's voice is smooth and descriptive but still intelligent.
Susan
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A New York City family unexpectedly has a mouse-child, and he discovers the unusual joys and challenges of life in the big world for a much smaller-than-average person. Listening to Julie Harris’s deft reading, I particularly enjoyed rediscovering the sailboat race and Stuart’s adventures on the road. Audiobook.
Kimberly Williams-Paisley
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoying rereading this timeless classic with my rising 3rd grader in these early summer days. I get something new out of a book like this every time. Williams's illustrations make me want to grab a canoe and hit the water. A perfect quick read aloud. 🐭
Angie
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
So I decided to listen to Stuart Little because I had never read it. I loved Charlotte's Web and assumed Stuart Little would be just as awesome. Boy was I wrong. Whereas, Charlotte's Web stands the test of time and can truly be called a classic, I don't think Stuart Little would have been published today. It is more than a bit of a mess. The premise is fine if you can suspend some disbelief. Stuart is born a mouse to a wealthy New York family. He has a pretty unremarkable life with the Little's ...more
Smitha Murthy
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of a Mouse
I first came across EB White when I read ‘Charlotte’s Web’ last year in a beautifully illustrated edition. Continuing my journey across Children’s Literature, I picked up ‘Stuart Little’ wondering how I hadn’t read it before. After all, I identify myself with a mouse! ‘Stuart Little’ is another adorable tale, although it doesn’t quite have the depth and poignancy of ‘Charlotte’s Web’. But as with both the books, EB White touches upon ordinary values that are extraordinary to find these days - va ...more
BJ Rose
Jan 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was initially surprised to find this shelved as 'adventure', but when I reread it, I realized that it's all about adventure; well, adventure and acceptance. Stuart's parents accept him, even though he is nothing like their other son; most friends and neighbors and strangers accept him, which makes this an almost-ideal world to live in. So that makes this a beautifully-told message to kids about accepting and even loving people who are different than they are. And in this world of human giants, ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Book Summary 2 188 Jun 29, 2017 07:15AM
101 Books to Read...: Stuart Little 3 8 Feb 06, 2016 01:29PM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Ralph S. Mouse (Ralph S. Mouse, #3)
  • The Cricket in Times Square
  • The Little Engine That Could
  • Old Mother West Wind
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #2)
  • Abel's Island
  • Pigs Might Fly
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Elmer and the Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #2)
  • Ben and Me: An Astonishing Life of Benjamin Franklin by His Good Mouse Amos
  • Misty of Chincoteague (Misty, #1)
Elwyn Brooks White was a leading American essayist, author, humorist, poet and literary stylist and author of such beloved children's classics as Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, and The Trumpet of the Swan. He graduated from Cornell University in 1921 and, five or six years later, joined the staff of The New Yorker magazine. He authored over seventeen books of prose and poetry and was elected to t ...more
“A shaft of sunlight at the end of a dark afternoon, a note of music, and the way the back of a baby’s neck smells if it’s mother keeps it tidy,” answered Henry.
“Correct,” said Stuart. “Those are the important things. You forgot one thing, though. Mary Bendix, what did Henry Rackmeyer forget?”
“He forgot ice cream with chocolate sauce on it,” said Mary quickly.”
29 likes
“Well,” said Stuart, “a misspelled word is an abomination in the sight of everyone.” 26 likes