The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

Archive: Best Reads of the Year > Best books read in 2015

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1092 comments As I ask every year, what are the best books you have read this year?

So far i've given 5 books 5 stars, two by Ted Chiang, Old Man's War by John Scalzi,The Three-Body Problem and my favourite book of the year The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin.

The other book I really enjoyed which is not sci-fi and I gave 4 stars Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami. Murakami is one of my favourite authors and this may not be his best book but I still loved it.

Here is a link from the Guardian newspaper of it's best sci-fi books of 2015, I can't comment as i've not read any of them yet, i'm always at least one year behind!

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015...

message 2: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) | 899 comments Jo wrote: "As I ask every year, what are the best books you have read this year? "

Goodreads has its Best of 2015 list out. I read two of the nominees in the SF category. I voted for Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie. It didn't win. It is the third in a trilogy and one really should read them in order and without too much time elapsing between. Quite good.

So far this year I've read 81 books in the Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror genres, most of them SF. Two of which I gave a rating of 5 stars: The Man Who Fell to Earth by Walter Tevis and City of Illusions by Ursula K. Le Guin

message 3: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) | 899 comments Jo wrote: "Here is a link from the Guardian newspaper of it's best sci-fi books of 2015, I can't comment as i've not read any of them yet, i'm always at least one year behind!

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015...
"

Thanks Jo. I added a couple of these to my library list.

The Scribbling Man (thescribblingman) | 137 comments I set myself a reading goal of 70 books this year and so far have managed to read 74.

Books I rated 4.5 - 5 stars:

- The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. LeGuin
- The Man Who Fell To Earth by Walter Tevis
- The Prestige by Christopher Priest
- The Tombs Of Atuan by Ursula K. LeGuin
- Ring Around The Sun by Clifford D. Simak

Other books I thoroughly enjoyed this year:

- The Inverted World by Christopher Priest
- The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov
- The Island of Dr Moreau by H.G. Wells
- Time and Again by Clifford D. Simak
- Our Man In Havana and The Heart of The Matter by Graham Greene

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 4209 comments Mod
I only read about 20 - 5 star books this year. Only a couple have been SF: South & The Green Progression. Half a dozen have been nonfiction science, the latest being Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind.

I have about 80 - 4 star books listed. Some were surprising like The Girl with All the Gifts, a book about zombies. Hard to believe since that's a topic that's been beat to death. Lock In & The Martian were both very good, too. Federations was a 4 star anthology edited by John Joseph Adams, but I only gave his Under the Moons of Mars: New Adventures on Barsoom & The Mad Scientist's Guide to World Domination: Original Short Fiction for the Modern Evil Genius 3 stars. Both were a lot of fun, though.

I read about 65 - 3 star books this year. Only about 25 books were 2 stars & about the same were below that. 20 - 1 star & 4 no rating.

I don't set reading goals. I read when I can & since I started really using audio books, that's been twice as much as normal. With my commute & mindless chores around the farm, there's plenty of time. Just mowing the fields can eat up a book & the lawn is almost half a book every week. So far, I've read 223 books this year & will probably add another half dozen before the end of the year.

The Scribbling Man (thescribblingman) | 137 comments That's insane! Though I suppose it's a lot easier to whizz through audio books.

message 7: by Jim (new)

It is, Joel. Finding time to just sit & read is tough. I often only get lunch time at work. When sitting at home, I have magazines & other stuff to read or TV to watch & people to talk to. Audio books are extremely portable now with my little MP3 player. With ear buds & ear protectors on, I can listen to them easily even over the sound of equipment.

My local libraries all have a great selection of audio books - almost 10,000 books. Downloading them is simple & fast. Libervox records many of the older books & archive.org has even more plus a lot of the Old Time Radio shows. 2/3 - 3/4 of the books I 'read' are audio now.

Another plus is listening to old classics read by extremely good narrators. I can not only find time, but listen to an expert do great accents. It's been years since I last found time for Where the Red Fern Grows, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, & other such classics, but I try to listen to a few each year now. They're generally fantastic.

The Scribbling Man (thescribblingman) | 137 comments I generally prefer to read rather than listen - I've always just found it really difficult to find a narrator that doesn't annoy me. I think if I were to get into audio books then it would be to re-read(listen) to favourites.

I guess for me the joy of reading is more than just the story - a lot of the pleasure comes from just sitting and reading words on a page. I generally find it quite difficult to sit and listen for long periods of time because most of the time I end up zoning out. I also find it easier to take in and remember character and place names from reading rather than hearing.

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1092 comments I've never listened to an audio book although it is something i've been thinking about doing as I don't have as much time to read as I'd like. One of the reasons i've never listened is I wasn't sure if an audio book would give the same impression as reading the book or whether everything would be based on the narrator.

Libervox seems to have a good selection, i'm quite tempted to try some of the classics i've never got round to reading.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Not all books are good fodder for plain audio. I've bought several paper or ebooks this year because I needed to reread sections, see maps &/or tables. These are generally nonfiction books.

I can't just listen to an audio book or I will zone out. I have to be doing something. I don't with a regular book, but audio isn't as immersive, although I don't know why. Doing a fairly mindless something like commuting is perfect.

Finding a good narrator is sometimes difficult. Many Libervox readers, bless them for their efforts, have untrained voices that are like nails on a chalk board to me. Libervox cross references by the reader & I found that Mark Nelson (https://librivox.org/reader/251) is great, both in the books that he reads (a lot of classic SF) & his reading. He's just one of many & there is almost always a preview button.

I've listed a lot of readers I really like & gone into a bit more detail on the entire experience here:
https://www.goodreads.com/story/show/...

I'm not trying to win converts. Not everyone can or wants to listen to them. I'm just very happy that it works for me so well & often. Surprised too, especially since it's almost doubled the amount of books I can read in a year. Check my stats here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/stat...
& I'll bet you can guess when I started listening to audio books.

I find my ereader a welcome tool for reading, but don't like it nearly as much as a paperback. I generally don't like a hardback as well as my treasured paperbacks, but my MP3 player is a fantastic addition. They won't work for everyone, but there has never been a better time in our history to try.

I belong to a group just for audio books:
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/596
There are topics on the best players or apps for phones & such, if you're at all interested. They're generally free save for a bit of time now. Some of the apps will slow or speed up the reading without distorting the voice. My MP3 player only speeds up & the voice gets a bit higher - generally annoying, but occasionally worth it.

message 11: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) | 899 comments Jo wrote: "I've never listened to an audio book although it is something i've been thinking about doing as I don't have as much time to read as I'd like. One of the reasons i've never listened is I wasn't sur..."

I like audio books. A lot. Got started listening to CDs in the car when I was working as a traveling photographer - lots of driving. Now they are available through my library to download using Overdrive, OneClickDigital, or Hoopla apps. You can also use the music player app that comes with the iPhone, but it's too quirky. I use Bluetooth earbuds - no annoying cord attached to the iPhone.

Some audio books are particularly well done. Jim Dale does a wonderful job with the Harry Potter series. Lolita read by Jeremy Irons very good. Most professional readers are good at what they do. Often, a year later, I couldn't tell you whether I read a book or heard the audiobook. The experience of having read the book is about the same.

I've heard a couple of Librivox audio books (sometimes they're all that's available), but I'm generally wary of them because they are volunteer readers. Librivox are all in the public domain, so mostly older titles.

Authors aren't necessarily the best readers of their own books. Ray Bradbury reads some of his own books - not the best choice. Neil Gaiman is the exception - he reads quite a few of his own books and does a good job.

message 12: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) | 899 comments PS - I really like Stefan Rudnicki as a narrator. He reads a lot of Orson Scott Card's books (Ender's Game, et al) He also reads a of of Ben Bova's books, but I haven's heard any of them

message 13: by Jim (new)

If you want to see how much I loved reading this year & do it yourself, go here:
https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_i...
It's my year in books done by GR. It automatically goes through all your books, gives stats & covers. It's a lot of fun.

My 2015 on Goodreads is not complete yet. It won't be until after the first of the year when I can get the full stats on my reading this year. I probably won't change my mind much on the books I've listed in the review so far. My review so far is here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I know it's been a stellar year for reading. While I only have about 20 - 5 star books, I have almost 100 - 4 star ones & about 70 - 3 star ones. Only about 50 below that & half of those still got the 2 star or OK rating. That means I finished them, but won't reread them. Only 20 or so got 1 star & I didn't rate a handful because they just didn't interest me, but they weren't bad. That's fantastic given the range of genres & number of books.

The Scribbling Man (thescribblingman) | 137 comments Your shortest book is 1 page??

message 15: by Jim (new)

Joel wrote: "Your shortest book is 1 page??"

Page counts are messed up. I'm sure the shortest 'book' is a short story of a page or two that I read online. Not Laddertop as GR is showing since it is 192 pages as a paperback. The edition I read was an MP3 file which was counted as 1 page. (Actually it was 2 files.) CDs & tapes are each counted as 1 page. Silly, but I'm not interested in page counts & they averaged out to 271 pages, a respectable book length, anyway.

I'm really only interested in the overall quality of my reading & the media, types, & genres they represent for me. I really like seeing how welll my reading is going. Looking at it on the GR page like that is almost as nice as seeing real books in a book shelf!
:)

The Scribbling Man (thescribblingman) | 137 comments Indeed! It is quite satisfying looking at ones reading statistics. I didn't realise it could be laid out as yours is above, so thanks for sharing!

message 17: by Leo (new)

Leo | 606 comments My year in books: also didn't know this existed, thanks Jim.

message 18: by Jim (new)

You're welcome. How do your books look? Of course, I can see your shelf stats, but this new method is more fun, I think.

When I first joined, I didn't bother entering every book I read for over a year. I don't think it was until 2009 that I really started entering them all plus a bunch of old ones. The stats weren't as good back then, but I could still see patterns & trends.

Seeing what I read - how many of what sort - caused me to change both how & what I read or looked for a bit. Instead of just reading SF & fantasy, I started branching out a bit more. After several great nonfiction audio books, I started looking for & read more every year. Many were expensive or hard to get as paperbacks & then they'd put me to sleep, but as downloaded audio books, they're wonderful.

Of course, other changes come along, too. I'm getting older. I used to remember a lot more about every book I read, but many are blending together these days. I've seen the same thing in some genres so many times that it's hard to keep stories separated. I have less patience for poor writing of any sort. (OK, I'm grumpier.)
;)

The Scribbling Man (thescribblingman) | 137 comments Here's mine: https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_i...

You're right, Jim. I've always been interested in both Science Fiction and Classics in general, but now I can see just how much sci-fi I read I'm really wanting to branch out into other genres more.

message 20: by Jim (new)

Thanks, Joel. Looks like you've had a good year of reading, too. I see both our averages are 3.3 stars. That's darn good.

message 21: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1092 comments This is my year https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_i...

I've also read a lot of sci-fi. I try not to read too many sci-fi books in a row else they tend to lose their impact. I really like the books that make me think and go wow, and they can be quite hard to find. My local library only has about 100 or so books in English so I decided to read them in between hence the randomness of the non sci-fi books.

I've also started reading a lot of series this year, although I only managed to complete the Chronicles of Amber and the Space Trilogy.

message 22: by CS (new)

CS Barron I chuckled when I looked at my 2015 stats.
https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_i...

I only joined GR in August and I don't post a book unless I've written a review. Still, I know I've read fairly little sci-fi and fantasy this year. Perhaps subscribing to this group will inspire me to read more. The best book I've read this year was an oldie but goodie, The Great Gatsby, which I read decades ago and reread this year with far more appreciation. Nothing notable in sci-fi, though.

message 23: by CS (new)

CS Barron Jim wrote: "...I have less patience for poor writing of any sort. (OK, I'm grumpier.)"

True for me also. I don't say grumpiness. I say discrimination.

message 24: by Jim (new)

Sometimes I'm not sure where the line is drawn, CS. Yes, I'm more discriminating, but I find myself wanting to heap scorn on some authors or writing that I really enjoyed when I was younger. I think that falls more into the grumpiness category.

message 25: by Papaphilly (new)

Papaphilly | 271 comments I read enjoyable works this year. The Martian, The Girl with All the Gifts,Flashback, Wool Omnibus, and a quirky little number Apocalypse Wow were all great reads for me this year. About half of my reading is non-fiction.

message 26: by Jim (new)

I read 3 of the 5 you listed, Papaphilly. I'll have to keep my eyes open for "Flashback" & "Apocalypse Wow". They both look interesting.

I was very surprised how much I liked "The Girl With All The Gifts". I almost didn't read it because of the subject. Zombies have just been done to death, if you'll pardon the pun. Still, this one was excellent.

message 27: by Powder River Rose (last edited Dec 21, 2015 12:09AM) (new)

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) Very nice to meet all of you. Jo directed me here since 98% of my reading is done with audiobooks so I'll just step right in.

I find that by listening to stories they come alive in a way that visual reading doesn't do for me. After a long day of tedious and exacting work, I find my eyes hurt and audiobooks are the perfect way for me to get reading in. I recommend it to anyone who is sight impaired or just likes to listen as I do.

I've heard some people speed the story along on their devices but I prefer to listen as the story has been read. Now if I don't care for a narrator or story, unless I'm reviewing a book for someone in which case I must muddle through, then I may just toss the story aside. There is only one narrator that I couldn't even get through the first chapter and that was Ray Bradbury reading his book "Farenheight 451." There is another narrator available so I look forward to listening to that version soon.

Since it's been discussed here, I was very disappointed with the Your Year in Books 2015 page because of the erroneous page numbers. The techs worked very hard to present this to us and to have it show up incorrectly was sad. I've had a conversation with both librarians and GR staff and plan on creating a link to a thread where audiobook listeners can respectfully voice their opinions in hopes of getting staff to make a slight change to a book's description page. Basically though the pages for a book were supposed to be listed 1 hour = 1 page but most of the books are not entered that way......page numbers are listed as zero. While it doesn't necessarily matter to some, it would be nice if audiophiles could get the number of hours and minutes each year just as visual readers get their page numbers.

I can't listen to books if I'm involved in something that requires steady concentration such as computer work, writing, reading other materials, etc., and after a long stretch of listening I must take a break for a while to enjoy the silence....total silence if possible.

Have a great day. I hope we are able to converse on all sorts of book related topics.

message 28: by Jim (new)

You didn't like Bradbury narrating his own book?!!! Sacrilege!
;-)

I hope you get somewhere with the page numbers. It's been a mess since the beginning & I've never agreed with how pages are counted for audio, but I find the way narrators are handled even worse. They're often left out or incorrect. For instance, on our book shelves there is no column for narrators at all! Seriously, what's up with that? I take all the time to set the correct edition & yet can't see a list of the books by Grover Gardner that I've listened to? Well, I can if I export my shelves & sort the .csv file, but they're all lumped under 'Other Authors'. Kind of a pain.

Audio books are becoming more common place. Let me know any topics where you are arguing for their rights & I'll see if I can't chime in, too.

message 29: by Powder River Rose (last edited Dec 21, 2015 02:25PM) (new)

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) Jim wrote: "You didn't like Bradbury narrating his own book?!!! Sacrilege!
;-)

I hope you get somewhere with the page numbers. It's been a mess since the beginning & I've never agreed with how pages are cou..."

Hehehehe, I know. He must have been near death and it was a last ditch effort on his part....or something like that. It was terrible. His voice was so.......well, gravelly might be one way of putting it but that really doesn't come close.

I usually add the narrator in the review area. If you see a book here on GR without a narrator's name and you know it just inform the librarians and they will fix it. These folks are amazing. You know, I never checked but you can add things you want to show on the shelves......just a minute I'll go check

message 30: by Powder River Rose (last edited Dec 21, 2015 02:22PM) (new)

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) No it's not in the settings. The only thing you could add to your books page that might help is Notes for putting in the narrator (s) and then you would be able to "search" for narrators that way. Oh, I just thought of that....I'm going to try it and see how it works.

Thank you for your offer to help. What I'm looking at is something like this. When a book is created the page only shows a box for page numbers, but I think they could easily put in a box that says Hours & Minutes. I need to refine the request to include some of the major/minor gripes but not too much because I know GR doesn't make changes often and since this would be a big one for them, I want to keep it simple. There are several groups I belong to that would love this and even the Librarians were happy to hear the idea.

I have the next few weeks off so I will figure out how to do the linking and where to set it up as well as what to say.

message 31: by Jim (new)

I am a librarian, so I add them as I find the need & try very hard to make sure editions are correct, although that's tough sometimes. I'm not a very good librarian, though. I complained once in the early days & they made me one of spite, I think.
;)

As for the page thing, it's not as simple as just adding another field. That creates a lot of work on the display end, reconciling 2 different fields. It would basically split audio books from paper books, I think. I'd be happier if they just took the page count from the primary edition or did it by the minute. They are doing percentages with ebooks though, aren't they?

I'm not terribly happy with how secondary authors, thus narrators are handled, either. I don't know of a better way, but now all secondaries are not displayed & they're dumped in one field when books are exported. Adding enough fields for enough authors would be a mess though. Anthologies can have dozens of authors.

message 32: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) | 899 comments I agree with Powder River Rose about Ray Bradbury as a narrator. I tend to shy away if the author is the narrator. One would think that an author would be the ideal narrator for their own writing, but the only good one I've heard is Neil Gaiman.

I also agree about audio books. I had all but stopped reading because it was just too much trouble to try to read a printed book. I sometimes must use a magnifier - what a pain. Kindle and MP3 audio books on my iPhone with bluetooth ear buds brought me back to reading again.

The number of pages for audio books is often zero or the number of CDs. It does seem that if ebooks can have a page count, audio books could too. Audiobooks are measured in hours and minutes. I'd just as soon have that than the number of printed pages.

message 33: by Powder River Rose (last edited Dec 22, 2015 09:54AM) (new)

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) Jim, thank you I wasn't sure how the fields would work. I think you're right...if the authors or ? would just add the page numbers from the original book that would be great.....but now to get the authors/narrators/? to comply..... However, the GR staff said the librarians would add the correct page numbers to each and every audiobook (and the librarians I spoke with agreed) but we have to find the books. hehehehe, never complain....you always pay in the end. So you are a librarian....well, I see how I can work that to our advantage.....hehehehe

hmmm, I just meant on the My Books page you could add the notes and then they would be searchable. It would be a mess on each book page....more food for thought.

Buck,
There are several authors who make great narrators...but not many.
Where the Hell is Tesla? Rob Dircks is really good (new-sort of sci-fi but fantasy there's a lot of f-bombs in the beginning....see my review of this...oh I know there's a link but I'm still kind of new to that. I'm probably a little freer with the star ratings for all books, but in this case I really liked it...except for the cussing)
Also, Flight Behavior Barbara Kingsolver
and as you said Neil Gaiman.

E-book page counts are erroneous also.

message 34: by Jim (new)

Powder River Rose wrote: "However, the GR staff said the librarians would add the correct page numbers to each and every audiobook (and the librarians I spoke with agreed) but we have to find the books. ..."

If they're going to change that, then they need to change the librarian manual. Here is the section dealing with page numbers.
https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/2...
It's short, but you'll see the next to the last paragraph says, "For audio books, the number of hours rounded up should be used in lieu of number of pages, when that information is known."

I don't mind changing audio books to the number of pages in a specific edition such as the first published edition hardback or paperback. That information is usually easy to find here, but I can't & won't change it until it's reflected in the manual. That way just leads to chaos & there's enough of that going on anyway.

As for adding the info to your private notes, that's easy enough. Do you ever export your books to a spreadsheet? If so, how good are you with Excel? There is a column of "Additional Authors" that you can look at for narrators. Most audio books are one author & one narrator. Some won't be, but that should show you the bulk, especially if you shelve your books to reflect they're audio books.

I probably mentioned before, I made shelves (1audio, 1paper, 1ebook) for media & run a macro on my exported books to sort them out so I can see trends & totals. Now that you've mentioned it, I might just add another line to the macro to create a column for narrators & copy over the "Additional Authors" IF the book is "1audio". That should be easy enough. Then I could do a vlookup to sort by specific narrators or just sort that way. I'm getting more interested in that as there are some narrators I know I want to avoid.

message 35: by Powder River Rose (last edited Dec 23, 2015 09:33AM) (new)

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) Jim wrote: "Powder River Rose wrote: "However, the GR staff said the librarians would add the correct page numbers to each and every audiobook (and the librarians I spoke with agreed) but we have to find the b..."

That could have been my interpretation of the conversation....if I get excited about something I often get lost in translation.

It's still too bad that we don't get page numbers properly displayed for those of us audiophiles. Oh well, the page that GR made for us is beautiful even if not really accurate.

Ok so now you are talking a bit over my head. I have Numbers on the mac or I can use LibreOffice's spreadsheet but I don't use them often enough to be proficient. And I haven't figured out how to export the books, I know I can do it but haven't yet had the need. I printed them out once but that really didn't work for my plans. Anyway, WOW! that is more than I have time for but sounds impressive. My talents are not completely limited but definitely not as technical as yours. When talking with my son, if he goes beyond genius level and into god-like, well I just start waving my hand over the top of my head....he gets the picture. ;)

Now if you were to show me...then I could completely understand. It's funny, I don't like to read because my eyes get so tired but give me an audiobook and I'm totally immersed and comprehending. Tell something technical and I need to see it.

message 36: by Jim (new)

I'm not a MAC guy, I work with PCs for a living, though. Fiddling with a spreadsheet takes me just a few minutes, as does writing a macro, but it's not for everyone. I can't give you good instructions for fiddling with a spreadsheet on your platform, but just creating the export is easy.

- go to your books page
- look down on the left side for import/export & click on it.
- look at the top right & you'll see an 'export library' link.
- it will take a minute or two to get itself together & then you click on it to download.
- Find it on your computer & it should open up in your spreadsheet.

It's very dense with a lot of info that doesn't make a lot of sense at first. The first line is column headings. If you can figure out how, I'd suggest you select D2 or E2 & 'Freeze Frames' (in Excel, that's under View). This will keep that row & the 3 or 4 columns visible while you scroll around & look at all the info.

After that, you're on your own. I like to sort it by date read, author's last name & title, but I run a macro that breaks up several columns into discrete information & arranges it, too. Your son might be able to help you with that. If not, you can also email me the file & I'll split it up the way I do mine for you. (As my friend, you should be able to see my email address.)

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) Jim wrote: "I'm not a MAC guy, I work with PCs for a living, though. Fiddling with a spreadsheet takes me just a few minutes, as does writing a macro, but it's not for everyone. I can't give you good instructi..."

I was a PC girl until a little over a year ago, I still have to use my husband's computer for some things....and get him out of jams. I just found the Mac to be so comfortable.

Thank you for all the information. I will follow your directions importing into Numbers and all should be well. Numbers and Excel seem to work nicely together.

hehehehe, if the boy stays at genius level then all is good as we are equals in most arenas, but if he moves into god-like all I can do is shudder....and he's not a good teacher.

message 38: by Alex V (new)

Alex V (alexkid) | 4 comments The The Three-Body Problem, was given to me over Christmas, but I still haven't looked at it. I have become attached to my kindle. I am scared that if I go to use audio books I will stop reading and learn to speak only in the way of my hasty emails. @Jo, is it as good as they say? Because the title refers to a famous maths problem. I am re-reading Dune in another book group, I could not resist the excuse to read a fav of mine.

message 39: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1092 comments Alex V wrote: "The The Three-Body Problem, was given to me over Christmas, but I still haven't looked at it. I have become attached to my kindle. I am scared that if I go to use audio books I will..."

I really liked it. Big ideas and written on a grand scale. We read it here and most people liked it although some thought it was a bit disjointed. I like sci-fi in translation though as there are different ideas rather than what you expect. I've just finished the second in the series The Dark Forest the great ideas continue but for me this one is a bit more disjointed. For me still better than a lot of other books though.

message 40: by Alex V (new)

Alex V (alexkid) | 4 comments Jo wrote: "Alex V wrote: "The The Three-Body Problem, was given to me over Christmas, but I still haven't looked at it. I have become attached to my kindle. I am scared that if I go to use aud..."

Thanks for the encouragement to go through it. I have seen it around in many places but my physical friends haven't touched it. Most people I know are absorbed in Indie books lately and magic realism. Soft on the SF. If the series is good, Dark Forest, then I will get into it! :) cheers