2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Read-a-thons > Third Read-a-Thon - Recommendation Train

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Mod (last edited Dec 05, 2015 08:25AM) (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
One of the best things about Goodreads, reading challenges, and read-a-thons are the recommendations. For better or worse, this group has greatly expanded my to-read pile.
In the spirit of discovering amazing books, the object of this challenge is to recommend as many books as possible

The first person posts the title of their absolute favorite book, preferably discovered during the 2015 challenge. The next person then chooses a book that they believe the person may like based upon that single book and then posts a new one.

If you're confused:
Person 1: Favorite book
Person 2: Recommendation and personal favorite
Person 3: Recommendation for person 1 and personal favorite

This should create a chain of amazing book recommendations.

Ready...Set...GO!!!!

message 2: by Ana A (new)

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

message 3: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) I love that one, too! So many interests are possible, I was going to suggest The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but just saw that you read it already. I think you might like Gone Girl, it is a very smart psychological thriller.

Just one book? Hmm... love all Discworld books by Terry Pratchett, favorite is probably Wyrd Sisters.

message 4: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments I've just been checking out your read shelf Marta, and we have really, really similar tastes!

For you, I would recommend The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. Going by our very similar likes & dislikes, I really think you will love it.

My absolute favourite book discovered during the 2015 challenge was The Color Purple.

message 5: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) Thanks, Jody! I discovered that we have similar tastes, too, and I have been following your reviews :) Thanks for the recommendation, that was on my radar, but now that you recommend it, will definitely put it on my list. I read Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch because I am a Pratchett fan but never read Gaiman on his own.

I just finished The Color Purple and I thought it was absolutely amazing, too!

I will leave the recommendation to someone else... don't want to hog the thread :)

message 6: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
I haven't read The Color Purple yet (it's on my TBR), but from what I do know about the novel, you may want to look at White Oleander. It's one of my favorites of all time.

If someone has read The Color Purple and wants to add to the recommendation then feel free!

I discovered so many amazing books this year, but I think the one that stuck with me the most was The Time Traveler's Wife.

message 7: by Keri (new)

Keri  | 92 comments Laura, The Time Traveler's Wife is definitely one of my favorites as well! It can be a little difficult trying to find another book that is similar since it does such a great job at balancing the time travel aspect and romance. So based off that and other books that we have both read and enjoyed I recommend Timebound. It has a lot of time travel and some good romance as well. It is part of a series and the third book was just released last month I believe.

I think that my favorite book that I discovered this year is What Alice Forgot. I have already read most of her other books so if someone knows of a comparable book I would love to hear about it!

message 8: by Michelle, Mod Assistant (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 403 comments Mod
Keri, hmm... you seem to have some eclectic tastes. I like that! If you like romances that aren't too intrusive, might I suggest The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. I just finished it yesterday and found it humorous and light-hearted. If you watch The Big Bang Theory you'll see shades of Sheldon Cooper in the main character Don Tillman.

I think my favorite read of this year has been The 5th Wave. It was surprisingly layered and well crafted.