Start by marking “What Alice Forgot” as Want to Read:
What Alice Forgot

What Alice Forgot

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  270,205 ratings  ·  20,810 reviews
Alice Love is twenty-nine, crazy about her husband, and pregnant with her first child.

So imagine Alice’s surprise when she comes to on the floor of a gym and is whisked off to the hospital where she discovers the honeymoon is truly over — she’s getting divorced, she has three kids and she’s actually 39 years old. Alice must reconstruct the events of a lost decade, and find
Published May 2010 by PanMacmillan Australia (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about What Alice Forgot, please sign up.
Maureen I have liked "The Husband's Secret" the LEAST of her books. I like this one better than "The Husband's Secret" but not as much as "Big, Little Lies".…moreI have liked "The Husband's Secret" the LEAST of her books. I like this one better than "The Husband's Secret" but not as much as "Big, Little Lies". I would definitely recommend "What Alice Forgot" at this point- might I suggest you try and get a copy from your local library? Happy reading! (less)
Taylor I read "Remember Me" by Sophia Kinsella a few months ago and the plot is sort of similar. A woman gets hit by a car, wakes up a few years later and…moreI read "Remember Me" by Sophia Kinsella a few months ago and the plot is sort of similar. A woman gets hit by a car, wakes up a few years later and has lost her memory. Her life is transformed, she's rich, married to a wealthy man, etc. I actually bought this book because the plotline reminded me of Remember Me.(less)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
487 pages of pure torture!
What Alice Forgot was not at all what I expected. That should teach me never to read a book that hasn’t been rated by at least one of my trusted friends. You see, I thought this would be a well written, intelligent, heartwarming story about a woman who loses ten years of her life, but finds some other, maybe even more valuable things instead. Obviously, I was very wrong. Nevertheless, I wouldn’t normally mind reading the Aussie version of a Maeve Binchy novel, but I DI
Carissa  Rogers
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-10-favorite
I don't give out a lot of 5 stars.

THIS. Was worth it. Spoke to me on several levels. In fact parts were painful to read since it felt like Moriarty was describing my life, and I didn't like what I saw? I think you can describe this as Chick-Lit... which I normally wouldn't be thrilled to read, but dang. I LOVED this book for so many reasons.

I'm 39, I have 3 kids, my husband is in the middle of the crazy part of his career and travels a TON, I can't seem to say no to anything--volunteering at s
Arlene
Jun 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Arlene by: Street Corner Booker Tour - Tina
Shelves: read-2011, aussie, adult
Rating Clarification
First half of the book: 2.5 Stars
Second half of the book: Solid 4 Stars
Epilogue: Undeniably 5 Stars

First off, What Alice Forgot is so different from my normally preferred genres. This adult fiction covers a broad array of topics that frankly scare the shiz out of me, including divorce, death, infertility and a complete breakdown of the family unit. If I would have known the heavy topics this book grappled with, I might have called a pass, but in the end I’m glad I gave this A
Kristi
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If I were to forget the last ten years of my life, and wake up with no memory of those ten years.....what would I regret? What would surprise me? What would make me proud? Which relationships have changed for the better, which ones have changed for the worst? This book really made me think. Have I evolved into the person, wife, and mother that I envisioned ten years ago. My poor husband had to listen to my thoughts almost chapter by chapter. He is such a good sport! I liked so much about this bo ...more
Jaline
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I opened this book on my eReader, tapped my way to the beginning, and then fell into the story headlong – without checking the depth of the water first. Lucky for me, this story has both incredible depth and breadth; I could have safely dived off a hundred foot cliff right into this amazing novel.

This is a family story and there is a ten-year time period where the immediate family and their extended families are challenged with several crises; a time where many changes happen over a relatively s
Linda
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I put "What Alice Forgot" on hold so many times that I felt like a receptionist at a medical center. It's so unfair to do this to a book, but I'll blame life, because it just happens. I was also a bit hesitant reading my second novel by Liane Moriarty. I had loved "The Husband's Secret," and sometimes it's difficult for an author to write another equally successful novel. Thanks to this author, Alice was always amazingly fresh in my mind, every time I would start reading again. There are not a l ...more
Petra Eggs
Pedestrian. The writing, the story, the characters all just too pedestrian. There was nothing that lifted this book in to the realm of interesting, or even 'mildly interesting'. It's the sort of book I keep in the glove compartment of my car. I know I'm never going to read it but there is always the possibility (view spoiler) of being stuck with a broken-down truck or a road block with nothing to read. That sort of book.

Not one star because I
Jen
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Alice appears to be a popular name for book titles: Alice in Wonderland; Go Ask Alice; Still Alice; and now, What Alice Forgot. Luckily, none of them are the same Alice. This one fell on the wayside as I thought I had already read the “Alice" book. Moriarty has a talent for weaving emotional themes into a story and still have them appear light and playful. This novel was no exception. The premise was enticing - Alice is in her regular Friday spin class and falls off, bumps her head and loses 10 ...more
Brenda - Traveling Sister
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-have
I found What Alice Forgot to be a humorous, uplifting and an enjoyable book with the right balance of heartache. The concept was interesting with a little mystery to it as well.

Alice has a fall at the gym and loses her memory of the last 10 years. I really enjoyed how the story was told through Alice's eyes as I learned how she has changed and also the people around her as she pieces the events of the last 10 years together. She remembers the people around her and their situations as they were 1
Dem
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty was not and enjoyable or satisfying read for me.

I found this book over written and very repetitive and to be honest I struggled to finish it.

There was so many times in this book that I wanted to scream as Alice just seemed to round and round in circles and I felt this book could have been wrapped up in 250 pages. Everything about this book was OK apart from the ending which I found dreadful. I couldn't believe the Epilogue and that really left me frustrated.

I
~Tina~
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ~Tina~ by: First-Read winner
Aussie Book challenge 2011 #7

What Alice Forget, tells the story of a women who thinks it's the year 1998, about to have her first child and is happily married to her husband, Nick. But a bump on the noggin changed all that....
What would you do if you lost 10 years of your life and all the wonderful moments you were looking forward to already happened, but you don't remember? How would you feel waking up to emotions that were still very much alive in your heart and thoughts, only for the true rea
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

4.5 Stars and rounding up.

^^^^^ I know, right? I bet you never would have expected that out of me! I’d blame it on my period, but I wasn’t buddy reading with Aunt Flo. Maybe I hit my head like Alice. *shrug* Whatever the reason, I just loved this story.

What Alice Forgot is about . . . .

“The day Alice Mary Love went to the gym and carelessly misplaced a decade of her life.”

Actually, it happened in spin class but Swifty eating it on
Skylar Burris
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who has been married more than ten years
Shelves: romance
Andrew Smith
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thirty nine year old Alice has had an unfortunate fall at her gym and ‘lost’ ten years of her life. When she comes around she’s convinced she’s a slightly over weight twenty nine year old with a severe exercise aversion – what’s going on!

What happens from this point is told from several points of view:
1) We see it from Alice’s point of view, experiencing recollections and revaluations as she does.
2) We hear extracts from a journal compiled by Alice’s sister, Elizabeth, in which she documents he
Nomes
Before my review, here's what Liane has to say about writing this book (which is in lieu of me composing my own synopsis, haha):
I had always wanted to write a story about time travel but I found the logistics made my head explode. Then I read a story about a woman in the UK who lost her memory and behaved like a teenager – she didn’t recognise her husband or children. I realized that memory loss is a form of time travel. So I came up with the idea of a woman, Alice, who loses 10 years of her m
Margitte
Liane Moriarty has done for Australia, what Maeve Binchy did for Ireland. They both brought the ordinary people of their countries alive on an unprecedented scale. Liane Moriarty is an international bestselling author. Look at her impressive bio on GR.

With Maeve Binchy's passing, a nation mourned. It was the first time an author received that kind of funeral attendance in living memory. Liane Moriarty has the world in an even bigger state of devotion. And the mystery is that you cannot pinpoint
Mackey
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
What DID Alice forget? Well, after a fall at the gym, apparently everything! I'm beginning to truly adore these amnesiac stories - really! I am! How many ways can it happen? How long will it last? Will the husband be a baddie or a good guy? But I digress....this is about Alice. Why did she forget? She even forgot her own kids!! And none of the people from her past like her anymore including her sister or husband! Hmmmm....

While this all seems a bit trite when written this way, the book itself ac
Maria Espadinha
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Miracles in Disguise

Errare Humanum Est cos we are supposed to evolve from mystakes. However, the evolution process requires at least once in a while, we'll keep consciousness loud and clear ;)

Still, when consciousness tends to remain in a long sleeping mode, one mystake leads to another and they'll soon gather in a snowball that will definitely melt into a swamp of problems claiming to be solved. And there we are, swimming and diving, hardly keeping our heads above, fighting for oxygen....

When t
Lucie
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Clever and funny.

As with all of Moriarty's books, this one's filled with very rich, fully-developed characters. They are just so wonderfully relatable, so very, very real. I knew I liked this author when I was laughing out loud by page 3. I've since read 'The Husband's Secret' and 'Big Little Lies', but this was my first introduction to Moriarty, and this was the book that made me a fan.

Moriarty has a very special ability to cover serious issues and suspenseful situations, while simultaneously m
Julie
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
What Alice Forgot by Lianne Moriarty is a 2010 PanMacMillian Australia publication.

With so many books out there, there is bound to be an author that slips by unnoticed, and for me, sadly, Lianne Moriarty falls into that category.

I knew her books were well received and popular, but I could never seem to find the time to fit one into my schedule. But, my local overdrive library heavily promotes her books, so finally, I took the plunge and put a couple of them on hold.

This book turned out to be
Cathrine ☯️
My favorite Moriarty book so far. Smarter and more thought provoking than the later novels I have read. It really made me think about who I was and who I've become. If you could have a do-over for the last ten years of your life, what would happen? What would you decide? An enjoyable, lighter read for me at the right time.
Katie B
I'm normally not a big fan of amnesia story lines because they give me anxiety as it feels like torture having to wait for the person to eventually recall their memories. However, I gave this book a shot because I loved The Husband's Secret and Big Little Lies and thankfully, this turned out to be an enjoyable read.

It's 1998 and Alice is happily married and expecting her first child. Or at least that is what she thinks after hitting her head at the gym. In reality the year is 2008, Alice has t
Pam
Nov 14, 2011 rated it liked it
I loved aspects of this book and I really wanted to love this book because the premise was interesting, but it fell short for me in a few ways. This was a highly readable book, it flowed fast and you really did not have to stop and think about it too much. This was just the type of book I needed right now because I was not in the mood for a text that would make me think. As a result, I actually quite enjoyed the book initially until I thought more about it. What bothered me about this book was t ...more
Myrna
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Great story, great characters, great plot! What an enjoyable page-turner that made me think. Liked this one more than Moriarty's two recent novels. 4.5★stars!
Aoibhínn
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Set in Australia during 2008, What Alice Forgot tells the story of thirty-nine year old Alice Love. She is a single mother of three and is going through a messy divorce. One day at the gym, Alice has an accident, bumps her head and forgets the past ten years of her life. Alice wakes up thinking it's the year 1998 and she's 29 years old, she's madly in love with her husband Nick and they're about to have their first child!

I really loved this novel! The plot was very intriguing, compelling and we
Elyse Walters
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book! Its fun!!!!!!!!

Where is the 'missing' review --(haha--again). Help, Iris?? lol (Iris has found at least 3 of my past reviews)...

I was looking another GR's member's review --when I noticed this book again!

Don't you think its a 'little' funny that a person could get hurt on a SPIN bike in the gym?

I mean -my husband had a serious accident -Mountain biking last year --(but I think its safe to say --he would not have had a head concussion from a spin bike) --
hm??? but you never kno
Maria Espadinha
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Acidentes Milagrosos

Sempre que na estrada enveredamos por uma via errada, o problema é de fácil solução: basta-nos retroceder e retomar o caminho certo.
Algo de semelhante sucedeu a Alice, numa outra estrada que não sendo de asfalto, não será menos estrada por isso.
À beira dos 40, Alice está separada daquele que há 10 anos atrás dava pelo nome de "amor da sua vida", vive distanciada da irmã, a quem outrora fora muito chegada, e enfrenta uma dura batalha pela custódia dos filhos.

Em 10 anos, Alice
Bianca
What Alice Forgot completes the list of Liane Moriarty novels to read. I'll have to wait until September for a new novel to be published.

To be honest, I've been tired of that old memory loss trope, but I got over it very quickly, because of Moriarty's brilliant writing, relatable characters and thought-provoking situations.

Imagine hitting your head and not remembering the last ten years of your life. I doubt it's possible, but we'll let it slide, as it's a brilliant plot device, aptly used by M
Janina
Jun 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Janina by: Nomes
This book and I just had a very lovely afternoon together. Lying in the sun reading ... there's nothing better.
  • Skipping a Beat
  • Such a Pretty Face
  • The Last Letter from Your Lover
  • Emily and Einstein
  • A Small Hotel
  • The Lost Husband
  • Blackberry Winter
  • Before the Storm (Before the Storm, #1)
  • Best Kept Secret
  • The Language of Flowers
  • Little Mercies
  • The Gap Year
  • The Art of Hearing Heartbeats
Liane Moriarty is the Australian author of six internationally best-selling novels, Three Wishes, The Last Anniversary, What Alice Forgot, The Hypnotist's Love Story and the number 1 New York Times bestsellers, The Husband's Secret and Big Little Lies.

Her breakout novel The Husband's Secret sold over three million copies worldwide, was a number 1 UK bestseller, an Amazon Best Book of 2013 and has
“Early love is exciting and exhilarating. It's light and bubbly. Anyone can love like that. But after three children, after a separation and a near-divorce, after you've hurt each other and forgiven each other, bored each other and surprised each other, after you've seen the worst and the best-- well, that sort of love is ineffable. It deserves its own word.” 223 likes
“But maybe every life looked wonderful if all you saw was the photo albums.” 103 likes