Start by marking “What Alice Forgot” as Want to Read:
What Alice Forgot

What Alice Forgot

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  181,940 Ratings  ·  15,999 Reviews
Alice Love is twenty-nine, crazy about her husband, and pregnant with her first child.

So imagine Alice’s surprise when she comes to on the floor of a gym and is whisked off to the hospital where she discovers the honeymoon is truly over — she’s getting divorced, she has three kids and she’s actually 39 years old. Alice must reconstruct the events of a lost decade, and find
Published May 2010 by PanMacmillan Australia (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about What Alice Forgot, please sign up.

Maureen I have liked "The Husband's Secret" the LEAST of her books. I like this one better than "The Husband's Secret" but not as much as "Big, Little Lies".…moreI have liked "The Husband's Secret" the LEAST of her books. I like this one better than "The Husband's Secret" but not as much as "Big, Little Lies". I would definitely recommend "What Alice Forgot" at this point- might I suggest you try and get a copy from your local library? Happy reading! (less)
Taylor I read "Remember Me" by Sophia Kinsella a few months ago and the plot is sort of similar. A woman gets hit by a car, wakes up a few years later and…moreI read "Remember Me" by Sophia Kinsella a few months ago and the plot is sort of similar. A woman gets hit by a car, wakes up a few years later and has lost her memory. Her life is transformed, she's rich, married to a wealthy man, etc. I actually bought this book because the plotline reminded me of Remember Me.(less)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
487 pages of pure torture!
What Alice Forgot was not at all what I expected. That should teach me never to read a book that hasn’t been rated by at least one of my trusted friends. You see, I thought this would be a well written, intelligent, heartwarming story about a woman who loses ten years of her life, but finds some other, maybe even more valuable things instead. Obviously, I was very wrong. Nevertheless, I wouldn’t normally mind reading the Aussie version of a Maeve Binchy novel, but I DI
Carissa  Rogers
Jan 23, 2013 Carissa Rogers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-10-favorite
I don't give out a lot of 5 stars.

THIS. Was worth it. Spoke to me on several levels. In fact parts were painful to read since it felt like Moriarty was describing my life, and I didn't like what I saw? I think you can describe this as Chick-Lit... which I normally wouldn't be thrilled to read, but dang. I LOVED this book for so many reasons.

I'm 39, I have 3 kids, my husband is in the middle of the crazy part of his career and travels a TON, I can't seem to say no to anything--volunteering at s
Arlene
Jun 01, 2011 Arlene rated it really liked it
Recommended to Arlene by: Street Corner Booker Tour - Tina
Rating Clarification
First half of the book: 2.5 Stars
Second half of the book: Solid 4 Stars
Epilogue: Undeniably 5 Stars

First off, What Alice Forgot is so different from my normally preferred genres. This adult fiction covers a broad array of topics that frankly scare the shiz out of me, including divorce, death, infertility and a complete breakdown of the family unit. If I would have known the heavy topics this book grappled with, I might have called a pass, but in the end I’m glad I gave this A
Kristi
Oct 07, 2012 Kristi rated it it was amazing
If I were to forget the last ten years of my life, and wake up with no memory of those ten years.....what would I regret? What would surprise me? What would make me proud? Which relationships have changed for the better, which ones have changed for the worst? This book really made me think. Have I evolved into the person, wife, and mother that I envisioned ten years ago. My poor husband had to listen to my thoughts almost chapter by chapter. He is such a good sport! I liked so much about this bo ...more
Jen
Mar 08, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it
Alice appears to be a popular name for book titles: Alice in Wonderland; Go Ask Alice; Still Alice; and now, What Alice Forgot. Luckily, none of them are the same Alice. This one fell on the wayside as I thought I had already read the “Alice" book. Moriarty has a talent for weaving emotional themes into a story and still have them appear light and playful. This novel was no exception. The premise was enticing - Alice is in her regular Friday spin class and falls off, bumps her head and loses 10 ...more
~Tina~
Mar 22, 2011 ~Tina~ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ~Tina~ by: First-Read winner
Aussie Book challenge 2011 #7

What Alice Forget, tells the story of a women who thinks it's the year 1998, about to have her first child and is happily married to her husband, Nick. But a bump on the noggin changed all that....
What would you do if you lost 10 years of your life and all the wonderful moments you were looking forward to already happened, but you don't remember? How would you feel waking up to emotions that were still very much alive in your heart and thoughts, only for the true rea
Petra Eggs
Pedestrian. The writing, the story, the characters all just too pedestrian. There was nothing that lifted this book in to the realm of interesting, or even 'mildly interesting'. It's the sort of book I keep in the glove compartment of my car. I know I'm never going to read it but there is always the possibility (view spoiler) of being stuck with a broken-down truck or a road block with nothing to read. That sort of book.

Not one star because I
Brenda
Jan 09, 2017 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-have
I found What Alice Forgot to be a humorous, uplifting and an enjoyable book with the right balance of heartache. The concept was interesting with a little mystery to it as well.

Alice has a fall at the gym and loses her memory of the last 10 years. I really enjoyed how the story was told through Alice's eyes as I learned how she has changed and also the people around her as she pieces the events of the last 10 years together. She remembers the people around her and their situations as they were 1
Andrew Smith
Jul 16, 2015 Andrew Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thirty nine year old Alice has had an unfortunate fall at her gym and ‘lost’ ten years of her life. When she comes around she’s convinced she’s a slightly over weight twenty nine year old with a severe exercise aversion – what’s going on!

What happens from this point is told from several points of view:
1) We see it from Alice’s point of view, experiencing recollections and revaluations as she does.
2) We hear extracts from a journal compiled by Alice’s sister, Elizabeth, in which she documents he
Nomes
Before my review, here's what Liane has to say about writing this book (which is in lieu of me composing my own synopsis, haha):
I had always wanted to write a story about time travel but I found the logistics made my head explode. Then I read a story about a woman in the UK who lost her memory and behaved like a teenager – she didn’t recognise her husband or children. I realized that memory loss is a form of time travel. So I came up with the idea of a woman, Alice, who loses 10 years of her m
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

4.5 Stars and rounding up.

^^^^^ I know, right? I bet you never would have expected that out of me! I’d blame it on my period, but I wasn’t buddy reading with Aunt Flo. Maybe I hit my head like Alice. *shrug* Whatever the reason, I just loved this story.

What Alice Forgot is about . . . .

“The day Alice Mary Love went to the gym and carelessly misplaced a decade of her life.”

Actually, it happened in spin class but Swifty eating it on
Skylar Burris
Oct 18, 2012 Skylar Burris rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who has been married more than ten years
Shelves: romance
Dem
Aug 29, 2014 Dem rated it it was ok
What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty was not and enjoyable or satisfying read for me.

I found this book over written and very repetitive and to be honest I struggled to finish it.

There was so many times in this book that I wanted to scream as Alice just seemed to round and round in circles and I felt this book could have been wrapped up in 250 pages. Everything about this book was OK apart from the ending which I found dreadful. I couldn't believe the Epilogue and that really left me frustrated.

I
Margitte
Liane Moriarty has done for Australia, what Maeve Binchy did for Ireland. They both brought the ordinary people of their countries alive on an unprecedented scale. Liane Moriarty is an international bestselling author. Look at her impressive bio on GR.

With Maeve Binchy's passing, a nation mourned. It was the first time an author received that kind of funeral attendance in living memory. Liane Moriarty has the world in an even bigger state of devotion. And the mystery is that you cannot pinpoint
Aoibhínn
Apr 06, 2012 Aoibhínn rated it it was amazing
Set in Australia during 2008, What Alice Forgot tells the story of thirty-nine year old Alice Love. She is a single mother of three and is going through a messy divorce. One day at the gym, Alice has an accident, bumps her head and forgets the past ten years of her life. Alice wakes up thinking it's the year 1998 and she's 29 years old, she's madly in love with her husband Nick and they're about to have their first child!

I really loved this novel! The plot was very intriguing, compelling and we
Cathrine ☯
Feb 08, 2015 Cathrine ☯ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Moriarty book so far. Smarter and more thought provoking than the later novels I have read. It really made me think about who I was and who I've become. If you could have a do-over for the last ten years of your life, what would happen? What would you decide? An enjoyable, lighter read for me at the right time.
Lindsay
Apr 13, 2016 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!
Myrna
Jan 10, 2017 Myrna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Great story, great characters, great plot! What an enjoyable page-turner that made me think. Liked this one more than Moriarty's two recent novels. 4.5★stars!
Lisa Nelson
Oct 11, 2012 Lisa Nelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Erin and Kristi
Shelves: fiction, kindle
I tore through this over 400 page book in about 4 days. Okay, so I got a little obsessed. The main character Alice gets a bad bonk on the head while working out at the gym and loses 10 years of her memory. She comes to thinking she is pregnant with her first child when in reality she is already in the thick of it with three kids and a marriage going bad 10 years down the road.

I love a book that makes me reflect about my own life, and love my own life as much as this book did. It had a very, "It
Janina
Jun 03, 2011 Janina rated it liked it
Recommended to Janina by: Nomes
This book and I just had a very lovely afternoon together. Lying in the sun reading ... there's nothing better.
Pam
Nov 14, 2011 Pam rated it liked it
I loved aspects of this book and I really wanted to love this book because the premise was interesting, but it fell short for me in a few ways. This was a highly readable book, it flowed fast and you really did not have to stop and think about it too much. This was just the type of book I needed right now because I was not in the mood for a text that would make me think. As a result, I actually quite enjoyed the book initially until I thought more about it. What bothered me about this book was t ...more
Elyse
Sep 29, 2015 Elyse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book! Its fun!!!!!!!!

Where is the 'missing' review --(haha--again). Help, Iris?? lol (Iris has found at least 3 of my past reviews)...

I was looking another GR's member's review --when I noticed this book again!

Don't you think its a 'little' funny that a person could get hurt on a SPIN bike in the gym?

I mean -my husband had a serious accident -Mountain biking last year --(but I think its safe to say --he would not have had a head concussion from a spin bike) --
hm??? but you never kno
Julie
May 06, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it
What Alice Forgot by Lianne Moriarty is a 2010 PanMacMillian Australia publication.

With so many books out there, there is bound to be an author that slips by unnoticed, and for me, sadly, Lianne Moriarty falls into that category.

I knew her books were well received and popular, but I could never seem to find the time to fit one into my schedule. But, my local overdrive library heavily promotes her books, so finally, I took the plunge and put a couple of them on hold.

This book turned out to be
Debbie
I love this book. Another terrific page-turner with well-drawn, interesting, and sympathetic characters. I get the idea that this is considered chick lit, but maybe it’s just that it doesn’t have enough U.S. exposure (the writer is Australian). Anyway, it’s not chick lit; it’s more of a well-written psychological thriller with all loose ends tied up nicely. The author seamlessly juggles and exposes the past and present lives of several characters, and does so with ease and talent; it’s nothing s ...more
☮Karen
Jul 19, 2014 ☮Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
As in The Husband's Secret and Big Little Lies, we the readers are in the dark about what exactly is happening, as small clues are dropped and memories are slowly revealed. Memories are what Alice has forgotten after hitting her head; in fact the entire last ten years of her life have vanished. This is another great book from this author, who can write about love and families and relationships without getting sappy or melodramatic. I love her style.
Esil
Jun 23, 2011 Esil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story's device is that the main character bumps her head and forgets the past ten years of her life. She does not know her own children and does not know why she and her husband are about to get a divorce. Mostly she doesn't understand the way people expect her to behave. It's a bit cheesy and certainly very light but it's well done. I had a lot of fun reading it.
What Alice Forgot is a standalone novel from author Liane Moriarty. I have only read one other book written by Ms. Moriarty (The Husband's Secret) and I enjoyed it a great deal. So I was excited when this title became available at my local library. When I first starting reading it, I wasn't sure about this one because it got off to a pretty slow start. After looking at how many pages were in the novel and the pacing, I was a little worried. However, by the 50% mark I was fully engaged. Even thou ...more
Connie
Alice Love has hit her head and lost the memories of the last 10 years of her life. She is no longer the young 29 year old, madly in love with her husband Nick, expecting her first child and close to her older sister. Oh no, much has changed as Alice discovers, and she does not recognize who she has become. What follows is a humorous and sometimes sad story as she attempts to reconcile the women she thinks she is, with this "new Alice", one she doesn't really like very much.

This book made me t
Beth
May 15, 2011 Beth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This book had me captivated from the first chapter. I felt drawn in and personally invested in each of the characters, even the ones I didn't like. For several nights in a row, I stayed up until midnight just to read one (or five) more chapters.

The pace is typical of a 'whodunit' mystery, although the mystery is not a murder, but the ten years that Alice forgets, and how she transitioned from a wide-eyed twenty nine year old to her brisk and busy thirty nine year old self.

This book had me aski
❀Julie
Sep 12, 2015 ❀Julie rated it liked it
This book provided a clever take on life, and how we can too easily let our relationships be taken for granted. I liked how it forced me to reflect on my own life, my relationships, and how I’ve changed over the years, and it even had me wondering how others close to me have seen me change. The author does a great job developing her characters and I thought she was spot on in terms of how perceptive kids can be. I ended up really liking the sub-stories told through the eyes of Alice’s sister and ...more
  • Skipping a Beat
  • Such a Pretty Face
  • The Last Letter from Your Lover
  • Emily and Einstein
  • A Small Hotel
  • The Lost Husband
  • Blackberry Winter
  • Before the Storm (Before the Storm, #1)
  • Best Kept Secret
  • Little Mercies
  • The Gap Year
  • The Art of Hearing Heartbeats
322069
Liane Moriarty is the Australian author of six internationally best-selling novels, Three Wishes, The Last Anniversary, What Alice Forgot, The Hypnotist's Love Story and the number 1 New York Times bestsellers, The Husband's Secret and Big Little Lies.

Her breakout novel The Husband's Secret sold over three million copies worldwide, was a number 1 UK bestseller, an Amazon Best Book of 2013 and has
More about Liane Moriarty...

“Early love is exciting and exhilarating. It's light and bubbly. Anyone can love like that. But after three children, after a separation and a near-divorce, after you've hurt each other and forgiven each other, bored each other and surprised each other, after you've seen the worst and the best-- well, that sort of love is ineffable. It deserves its own word.” 191 likes
“But maybe every life looked wonderful if all you saw was the photo albums.” 74 likes