Christmas Bookathon discussion

What books are on your Christmas list?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samreadsalot) What books did you guys put on your Christmas lists?

Mine includes:
The Young Elites by: Marie Lou
The Young Elites (The Young Elites, #1) by Marie Lu

The Rose Society (A Young Elites Novel) by: Marie Lu
The Rose Society (The Young Elites, #2) by Marie Lu

Everything / Everything by: Nicola Yoon
Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

A Thousand Pieces of You by: Claudia Gray
A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1) by Claudia Gray

An Ember in the Ashes by: Sabaa Tahir
An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir

I am so excited to receive any of them, and can't wait to see which one I end up reading for number 5 (5. Read a book that you recently got as a Christmas present or a book that was recommended to you by a friend)

So what about you?
:)

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)  Samantha wrote: "What books did you guys put on your Christmas lists?

Mine includes:
The Young Elites by: Marie Lou
The Young Elites (The Young Elites, #1) by Marie Lu

The Rose Society (A Young Elites Novel) by: Marie Lu
[b..."

Oh I loved the Marie Lu Legend trilogy. Now you reminded me how much I want to read more of her books.

message 3: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (linds0917) | 11 comments Lol, I have a google doc that friends/family have access to. It currently has 75 books on it, aaand that's not even half of what's on my to read shelf here.

message 4: by maya grace (new)

maya grace The two that I really hope I get are the illustrated edition of Harry Potter and Habibi by Craig Thompson. I know I'll probably get more than that, but those are the two I'm really hoping for!

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samreadsalot) Basesloaded32 wrote: "Oh I loved the Marie Lu Legend trilogy. Now you reminded me how much I want to read more of her books.

I loved her Legend series as well - that's what made me pick up The Young Elites at my library and I actually loved it even more, so now I want to own it and I can't wait to read the second!

message 6: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samreadsalot) Lindsay wrote: "Lol, I have a google doc that friends/family have access to. It currently has 75 books on it, aaand that's not even half of what's on my to read shelf here."

That is an amazing idea that I may just have to steal!!

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samreadsalot) Maya Grace wrote: "The two that I really hope I get are the illustrated edition of Harry Potter and Habibi by Craig Thompson. I know I'll probably get more than that, but those are the two I'm really hoping for!"

I have had the illustrated version on my Amazon Wishlist for years! That would be amazinggggg to own.

message 9: by Shallon (new)

Shallon J | 25 comments Mine are Zane's Trace by Allan Wolf(done), Illuminae, Rook, and Unforgiven. I will most likely be reading a few Christmas books to my little sister too and reading more books than these. :D

Sofia Kathryn Coon | 9 comments Honestly I can never decide what to ask people for specifically, so I normally request gift cards to I can get what I'm feeling at the moment. My immediate TBR is always fluctuating

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (majorasbooks) | 32 comments I made a wishlist on The Book Depository, and told my mum to send it out to my extended family members. Then mum was like "which books do you really want?" and bought me those. Thanks, mum. Ruin the anticipation.

The Full Bookshelf Reviews | 36 comments A Step Toward Falling by Cammie McGovern is at the very top

Followed by:
Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
Perfect by Natasha Friend
and
The Lying Game books by Sara Shepard

message 13: by Lindsay (last edited Dec 06, 2015 07:12AM) (new)

Lindsay (linds0917) | 11 comments Ashley wrote: "I made a wishlist on The Book Depository, and told my mum to send it out to my extended family members. Then mum was like "which books do you really want?" and bought me those. Thanks, mum. Ruin th..."

Aw :( I hate that.

I may be able to help a bit with that. This is going to show how anal I am about books, but I'm among fellow freaks so, oh well.

Like I said before, I made a google doc for my book list. For those who don't know, if you have a google account (gmail), then you can also use a bunch of other services from google for free. When you are in your gmail account (or on google's search page and logged in, at least in the Chrome browser), in the top right corner there is an icon that is a box made up of nine small boxes. This brings up other google apps. One of the icons is a blue, dog-eared paper that says Docs. Click and start writing. Basically, it's online Office. You can share your documents with people, let them edit them, and so forth. Also, it automatically saves everything you type, no worrying about losing work.

On to my actual list: You can obviously tweak this to how it best works for you, this is just how I do it. If people who don't read want to buy you a book as a gift, they will most likely go to Barnes and Noble or Amazon, but there are a ton of other ways to get books. If you can steer people towards cheaper sites, you will probably get more books, WIN! So my first page is a list of places to get books, who ships for free, what kind of prices they have, what editions they carry (ex. Book Depository for UK editions), etc.

Then I list the books I want. Now, I realize I have a very long list so many of you may not need to do this, but I separate mine into categories. The ones that work for me are: e-books, fiction, non-fiction, graphic novels, cookbooks, coloring books (!), and audio books. My fiction one is by far the longest and I may some day break that down but that's how it is for now. This way, people can get me ones from different categories. I get bored with the same thing all the time so I just prefer it this way.

Now, on to how I list the books. In general, they are listed in the order that I want them. For instance, if I just read the first book in a series and I can't wait to read the next one, that book goes to the top of the list. This sometimes becomes arbitrary because there are so many books I want so I don't worry about it too much. If there is a book that I really really really really want right away, I highlight it.

Listing a specific book. If you didn't think this was ridiculous already, this will convince you. I like to display my books, so the edition that I get sometimes matters to me. When adding a book to the list, I look at the editions it comes in, or will be available in, and decide which ones I want. This mostly matters to me for series that I want to continue reading. I'd like them all to be either hardcover or paperback, I don't like a mix. I live in the US and sometimes the UK editions of books are much prettier and I'd prefer those. In this case I send people to Book Depository.

A book in the list looks like this:

What Stands in a Storm by Kim Cross and Rick Bragg (US hardcover or paperback - paperback releases 3.1.16)

I realize this sounds crazy but everyone in my family has really appreciated this because it takes the guess work out of it for them. Except my mom...who refuses to buy me any more books. Wah

Hope this helps someone out!