Start by marking “The Mistletoe Promise” as Want to Read:
The Mistletoe Promise

The Mistletoe Promise

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  10,412 ratings  ·  1,510 reviews
A love story for Christmas from the #1 bestselling author of The Christmas Box and The Walk.

Then, one November day, a stranger approaches Elise in the mall food court. Tho
Published November 18th 2014 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Mistletoe Promise, please sign up.
Anna I am sorry for those who were unable to finish this book--the best of the story came after that "terrible thing". I have heard of that "terrible…moreI am sorry for those who were unable to finish this book--the best of the story came after that "terrible thing". I have heard of that "terrible thing" which happens in this book happening in real life. It is a sad fact--as are many things in the world.

Christians celebrate Christ's birth at Christmas, and he came into this world to die for us sinners and that his death will redeem us from our sins. The love and hope brought to two sinners in Mistletoe Promise is a worthy Christmas story and is missed by those who do not read beyond that horrible event.(less)
Jennifer This is a standalone novel although it is part of a "mistletoe" collection

·  10,412 ratings  ·  1,510 reviews

Trina (Between Chapters)
Content warnings: Mentions of mental and physical abuse by a parent, and death of a child. Very brief microaggressions toward weight and mental illness (fat character has "sausage fingers," neat character makes an "I'm so OCD" joke.)
★★★★
If you like stories that feature a domino effect, you might like the story of how I came across The Mistletoe Promise. If you don't just scroll down to the review. No hard feelings. I probably wouldn't read it either.

So...
My son and I are loyal followers of youtuber Rosanna Pansino's Nerdy Nummies and I got an alert that she was going to be filming a segment on Hallmark Channel's Home & Family. I never watch the show but I set my DVR to record anyway. That particular episode was themed w
Emer
I like Christmas. Yup. BIG Christmas fan. Favourite time of the year. The schmaltz, the twinkly lights, the tinsel, the endless food, the goodwill and peace on earth...yup for all that jazz you can sign me up!!!!

But this book????
Eh no. I did not sign up for this level of hokum.
My reaction to this book can best be described as looking like this:-

one star
Peggy
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I know that there are people who probably think there is no way something like this could ever happen. For someone who loves Cinderella stories, I say, "why not." Thank you Richard Paul Evans for giving me a story I couldn't put down from the moment I started reading it!
Hyacinth
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookclub, christmas
I am crying as I write this review. As a Christian, you should always strive to live in forgiveness and redemption...with that being said, it is NOT always easy. This book was a bittersweet read. I loved it. I hated parts of it, not because of the writing style, it was excellent but because of the painful content. This book was filled with "unexpecteds" for me. It was never predictable. So much I didn't see coming and yet I couldn't put it down! I have never heard of this author but now want to ...more
Janet
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
I found this to be a very nice Christmas read. I have seen comments about something bad that happens and it's true but the core of the story exists because of it. It's a story of forgiveness, love and finding the right person. It felt real instead of a perfect romantic story. Maybe not for everyone but it worked for me.
Pye
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I experienced several eye-rolling moments while reading this book, but I knew what I was getting into before I started. I wanted to read something light and fluffy to counterbalance the heavy mysteries/thrillers I've been reading. The story was predictable but it was good to give my mind a bit of a break. It was a good read for what it was meant to be.
Terri Wino
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: year-2015
I'm torn about this book. First let me say that it takes a lot for a book to affect me emotionally, and this one had me tearing up several times.
On one hand, this is almost an over the top Cinderella story. Guy meets girl, they enter into a "contract," he lavishes her with gifts, and you know they're -- predictably -- going to fall for each other...and I would have been perfectly happy with a holiday tale like that.
But then this author goes and makes things complicated. You find out a terrible
Anna
Quote: "I have punished myself for my mistake more times than I can remember. Each day I wake up in the court of conscience to be judged guilty and unworthy. In this sorry realm I am the judge, prosecutor, and jury, and, without defense I accept the verdict and the sentence, a lifetime of regret and guilt to be administered by myself."
Elise Dutton and Nicholas Dorr are going through the motions of daily life, but each, for their own reasons have sheltered their hearts from all that life has to o
JoAnne
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful heartwarming Christmas tale with underlying sadness that comes straight from the headlines of today. Two lost souls connect although their meeting was planned by one of them. Some twists to the story but the requisite happily ever after with nice closure thanks to the epilogue.
Can't wait until next year's story.
Tempest Devyne
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christmas
No spoilers other to say I was really enjoying this and it would probably have been a 4 stars for me, until a flashback of an event that meant I couldn't face reading any further, I'm sure things will end very happily and predictably but I couldn't get past the something that happens. I can cope with sad and tragedies, but this and how it was handled was too matter-of-fact and ruined the book for me. Shame, because as I say, I was really enjoying it.
Deanne Patterson
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this book because of Chantel's recommendation. I am so glad I did ! Wow, this book left me feeling so many emotions. There was such an emotional part about half way through. I read it in one sitting, I just couldn't put it down ! This story is about redemption,renewal,hope and forgiveness ! I highly recommend it to everyone !
Gina *loves sunshine*
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, audiobook, romance
This year I decided I was going to intentionally read a Christmas story once winter hit. Problem is - snow hasn't really started flying and even though it's 2 days away from Thanksgiving, it still doesn't feel like the holidays are starting - I'm actually OK with that < I love sunshine > and warm anyway!!

So without snow and fireplace cozies I started this book and finished it in a few hours - I loved it and the audio was perfect! It was so sweet and so cozy in the simplest way. I was immed
❤Marie Gentilcore
This was so very good! One of the best modern day Christmas stories I have read in a while. It starts with a platonic contract between two people to spend holiday events together. And of course they develop feelings for each other but the story is deeper than that. Elise and Nicholas are good together and I really liked their characters. I also liked the way the secret reveal was done. It was a very satisfying and heart warming book. Highly recommend.
Kristina Allen Boulter
This book was truly amazing and so powerful! This book was all about wanting to change the past and trying to move on from the mistakes that you have made but its also about forgiveness. This book had me happy and in tears all at the same time. This is a Christmas story but I love that it wasn't so over taken by the holiday but the holiday brought the characters together in a away that Elise never saw coming.

"I'm afraid of.. not flying. As long as you're in he air there's no problem, right? Its
Patty (IheartYA)
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm not one to read a Chriatmas theme, and I'm not big contemporary but I wanted to read a book that was turned into a Hallmark move. I love the movie. The book is definitely different and the movie leaves out a big (if not the most important) part. They really cheered it up. But I liked the book anyway. A quick, easy read.
Loraine
SUMMARY: Elise Dutton dreads the arrival of another holiday season. Three years earlier, her husband cheated on her with her best friend, resulting in a bitter divorce that left her alone, broken, and distrustful.

Then, one November day, a stranger approaches Elise in the mall food court. Though she recognizes the man from her building, Elise has never formally met him. Tired of spending the holidays alone, the man offers her a proposition. For the next eight weeks—until the evening of December 2
Jary Welker
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful Richard Paul Evans book. I don't know where the inspiration comes from but I pray it doesn't stop. I love the message of redemption and new beginnings which is really what Christmas is all about...the new life that each of us can find...even redemption...though the Son of God, whose birth we celebrate at Christmas time.
Denise Jo
This is another wonderful Christmas story told in a way only Richard Paul Evans could do. It is a quick read and I did not want to put it down. Without giving anything away it's about two people that meet during the Christmas holidays and decide to sign a contract pretending to be a couple to help each other get through the holidays.
Gail
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an AWESOME Heartwarming Christmas Story! A story of love, forgiveness and second chances. The book will make you cry so have a box of kleenex handy. The book has so many twists that will keep you reading trying to figure out what will happen next. A GREAT book for the Christmas season. A MUST READ!
Bonnie
I love love love this book so much! It was SO good!!! I want to read it again now! I went to the library and left with a stack of four more books by this author...
Rhonda B
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet book that takes the reader on a journey with two people that come together under an agreed upon contract. The contract binds them as if they were a couple and then the reality sets in of how much they enjoy each other's company. Ah, to be in love....
Chantel
I have been looking for a cute Christmas story for the last couple of weeks. So when I found this book at the library and read the synopsis, I was so happy!

**FROM THE BOOK**

Christine
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
Several years before our story starts Elise Dutton’s life was turned upside down. Tragedy struck in a most unexpected way, followed quickly by the breakdown of her marriage. Since then Elise has filled her days with her job and kept mostly to herself. She also became a creature of habit, not only eating her lunch in the same place every day but also having the same lunch. Faces in the food court became familiar. For several days in a row she noticed a man sitting at a table not far from her own ...more
Sammantha
I'm very happy I was able to read The Mistletoe Promise this Christmas. I wanted to read it last year but I wasn't able to purchase it at the time and it was checked out at the library. I found it after Thanksgiving on sale so I definitely had to have it this Christmas! :)

I have to give The Mistletoe Promise five stars! For many reasons but I'll go over a few:

I absolutely loved that Richard Paul Evans could create such a masterpiece in 251 pages! I feel in love right away starting from page one
Stephanie
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, own, reviewed
4.5/5

Richard Paul Evans' novels are generally formulaic and cheesy... but I absolutely love them and can't get enough! This is my 6th RPE book and it was just as good as all his others. As usual, the characters endure some kind of hardship to find hope.

In this story, we meet Elise Dutton, a broken woman with a secret past that eats at her and causes her pain and guilt. She is approached in the cafeteria by a stranger who works in her building, Nicholas, who essentially asks her if she would lik
Jenny Bunting
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
This was schmaltzy and contrived and unrealistic but I LOVED IT.

CritiCalGal
If you want a quick, light read, this will do, but don't expect much. I found the book formulaic, contrived and predictable.
Dora
Dec 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
***1 lousy Star***

Let me begin this review by saying that I rarely give 1-star ratings. I usually find it in me to like something about the book at hand, but not with this one...

Since I've been in a very Christmasy mood for a while now, I've set a goal to read as many Christmas books as I can up until the 25th. Without any reference or reason, I picked this one up, thinking it's light and easy and hopefully cute. What I found instead was a very poorly written romance, if I can even call it that
Stephanie
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
(No worries - I won't be giving any spoilers.) I know there are many readers who stopped the book at a certain point, unable to get past a tragic event as remembered by the main character. But for me, that is what made the love, forgiveness and redemption in this book all the more real. I usually don't read romance books, because the characters tend to be plastic, shallow, and invariably unlife-like - however, I'm not really sure that this book would be categorized as romance. Evans gives his ch ...more

• The 13th Day of Christmas
  • The Christmas Pony
  • The Christmas Light (Christmas Hope #7)
  • Christmas with Tucker (A Dog Named Christmas #0.5)
  • The Paper Bag Christmas
  • On Strike for Christmas
  • On Christmas Eve (Cape Light #11)
  • Together for Christmas
  • The Christmas Wish
  • The Christmas Tree
  • Finding Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #1)
  • Call Me Mrs. Miracle (Angelic Intervention #8)
  • Christmas Roses
  • The Reindeer Keeper: Believe Again...
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more
“People talk of life’s storms as if they are universal experiences. But they’re not. Some people hear thunder while others touch lightning.” 11 likes
“Often what we see clearest in others is what we most avoid seeing in ourselves.” 9 likes