The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Important Items > Nominations for the December/January group read are now open. READ CAREFULLY.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 149 (149 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8962 comments Mod
Your moderators have decided to do something very different this time around so please read carefully before posting. Nominations are open through December 8th.

For the December/January group read, your job is to nominate an author you'd like to read -- not a book, but an author. Once the top two have been selected via the poll, you can read any book you want by the winners and post about it on the group read threads. You must select authors we have not read in the last year, and to make your job easier, I am including the list of authors previously read in this post. This is a bit more of a challenge, so it will be interesting to see who you come up with! Have fun.

One more thing: Self promotions will NOT be considered. I repeat: do not nominate your own books.

Here's the list of authors we have read in the last year so you can avoid nominating them:

Jussi Adler-Olsen
Rennie Airth
David Baldacci
Agatha Christie
Paul Cleave
Daphne DuMaurier
Umberto Eco
Robert Galbraith
Steve Hamilton
Paula Hawkins
Terry Hayes
Patricia Highsmith
Caroline Kepnes
Laurie King
Stephen King
Camilla Lackberg
Dennis Lehane
Kathy Reichs
Daniel Silva
Karin Slaughter
Tom Rob Smith
Josephine Tey
Martin Walker

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy Sheluk (wwwjudypenzshelukcom) | 117 comments John Connolly

message 3: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Humphrey (suspensethrill) I'd like to nominate Jonathan Kellerman.

message 4: by Jimmie (last edited Dec 04, 2015 11:19AM) (new)

Jimmie | 14 comments I like Judy's suggestion of John Connolly. He is a great writer. I would like to nominate Michael Connelly.

message 5: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1530 comments Craig Johnson

message 6: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Martin wrote: "Misdirection Brilliant reviews on Goodreads. And one on the website www.martinlink.co.uk from Dave Gaylor (Roy Grace)"

With apologies, Martin, I did note in my initial post for this thread that
"Self promotions will NOT be considered. I repeat: do not nominate your own books."

It's just our policy here.

message 7: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colls) | 6 comments I second the nomination for Craig Johnson

message 8: by Becky (last edited Dec 05, 2015 05:48AM) (new)

Becky (becksnbooks) I'd like to nominate William Kent Krueger.

message 9: by Manju (new)

Manju P | 4 comments John Grisham

message 10: by Patrick (new)

Patrick  (volmann) | 42 comments Really enjoy Craig Johnson as well. I would like to nominate James Lee Burke.

message 12: by Jean (last edited Dec 03, 2015 12:25PM) (new)

Jean  (bookworm8292) I would like to nominate Gilly Macmillian

message 13: by Tad (new)

Tad (tottman) | 139 comments I'll nominate Michael Robotham.

message 14: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Maha wrote: "Edger Allan Pope"

Pope or Poe? I just looked up Edgar Allan Pope -- and there's nothing there.

message 15: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Maha wrote: "Sorry lol poe, Edger Allan Poe"

:)

You never know, it could have been someone's pseudonym!

message 16: by Scott (new)

Scott Parsons | 34 comments Michael Connelly

message 17: by Jan (new)

Jan (jandarlene) | 1 comments Ruth Rendell has a new one, Dark Corners. All of hers are good reads.

message 19: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Maha wrote: "No he's a sure thing, I studied him in history of literature. He writes short stories and poem like "the raven". Using that name, Poe :))"

Right. I was referring to Edgar Allan Pope. There's a Japanese writer who uses (this is not a nomination, by the way) the name Edogawa Ranpo.

message 20: by Russell (new)

Russell Atkinson | 98 comments I nominate John Lescroart.

message 21: by Wesley (new)

Wesley Robert Crais

message 22: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Maha wrote: "Really ?! :o ! Never knew that."

Yep: you can read about him here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edogawa...

message 23: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 286 comments Ann Cleeves, author of the Shetland series & the Vera series & Tana French, author of the Dublin Murder Squad series :-)

message 24: by Russell (last edited Dec 03, 2015 08:10AM) (new)

Russell Atkinson | 98 comments I grit my teeth when I see stuff like this. The name started out with two misspellings. Now you've gotten it down to one. The name is Edgar Allan Poe, not Edger Allan Poe. He's one of America's greatest writers. The Baltimore Ravens are named after his poem The Raven. An edger, by the way, is a garden tool, not a name.

message 25: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Russell wrote: "I grit my teeth when I see stuff like this. The name started out with three misspellings - one in each of his names. Now you've gotten it down to two. The name is Edgar Allen Poe, not Edger Allan P..."

No offense, but I'm sitting here looking at my collection of Poe stories written by Edgar Allan (with an A) Poe. And we might be a bit more tolerant in case English is not a first language.

message 26: by Tom (last edited Dec 03, 2015 08:23AM) (new)

Tom Mathews | 980 comments Joe R. Lansdale. Lansdale is an accomplished writer, the author of the popular Hap & Leonard series as well as several really good standalone novels such as The Bottoms, Sunset and Sawdust and A Fine Dark Line.

I'm also very glad to see John Connolly, Michael Connelly and Craig Johnson nominated.

message 27: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 537 comments Laurie King

message 29: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (sbrittig) | 47 comments I nominate Tana French

message 30: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 176 comments I nominate Jordan Dane.

message 31: by M. (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments I adore Craig Johnson's work and would be delighted to co-moderate. And has it honestly been a year since I moderated Michael Connelly's Burning Room? Are you sure? I'm going to toss out Sandra Parshall. it's been a hard physically challenging year for her. She would surely be available for a discussion side chat, I suspect.

message 32: by Kari (new)

Kari Cooper Pierre LeMaitre

message 33: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn Murray | 2 comments Ian Rankin

message 34: by G.J. (new)

G.J. Griffiths (gjgriffiths) Ian Rankin

Vignesh Narayanan VC (vcviky) | 1 comments I would like to nominate Michael Connelly

message 36: by Jacqui (new)

Jacqui Holland Tess Gerritsen

message 37: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 26 comments Stephen King

message 38: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 38 comments I would like to nominate Susan Hill (I just discovered her Superintendent Simon Serrailler mysteries, which are great, as are many of her stand alone books) and Sharon (SJ) Bolton, whose DC Lacey Flint series is also terrific, as are her stand alones.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Patricia Highsmith

message 40: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 38 comments Patricia Highsmith & Stephen King both on the read in recent past list provided by the moderators, thus not eligible. & the whole Edgar Allan Poe discussion reminds me of the scene in Sophie's Choice where she goes to the New York Public library and asks for a book by "Emile Dickens" and is treated contemptuously by the librarian. She was dealing with her third foreign language at that point, as I recall, and I thought it was wonderful that she was seeking out Emily Dickinson's poetry, even if she got it a little wrong. We should encourage & help our fellow readers, I remember trying to read novels in Spanish in college, dealing with the subjunctive in 18th century literature in English can be challenge enough, let alone in another language, it gave me migraines. Bravo to anyone who reads, and double bravo for reading in another language.

message 41: by Kay (new)

Kay | 18 comments Hi! I would like to suggest Nevada Barr. However, I really love many of the other authors suggested. Kay

message 42: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 38 comments So far we have a wealth of authors I like to read, it will be great no matter who wins out. ;-)

message 43: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Georgia wrote: "Laurie King"

So sorry, Georgia. Laurie King is on the list of authors I posted. Feel free to nominate someone else, though.

message 44: by Angela (last edited Dec 03, 2015 02:44PM) (new)

Angela DeSilva (goodreadscomangela-desilva) | 92 comments I have never read anything by Michael Connolly but he was recommended to me by a Goodreads friend and I happen to own two of his books I got at Goodwill. The Burning Room The Burning Room (Harry Bosch, #19) by Michael Connelly The Drop The Drop (Harry Bosch, #17) by Michael Connelly So I nominate Mr. Michael Connolly!

message 45: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Just a reminder, my friends: this is still just nominating time -- the voting is yet to come.

message 46: by John (new)

John Matsui (johnmatsui) | 5 comments Many names mentioned here are same old, same old. Slightly different hero, facing a two-degree change in whodunit. If you want something truly different, read one of Alan Bradley's murder mysteries featuring 11-year-old sleuth and poison aficionado, Flavia de Luce. Elegant writing, nice unwinding of plot, and superb characters combine for a bull's-eye on the intelligent mystery meter. We're not supposed to recommend a specific book but it is a series so the first one might be worth checking out.

message 48: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35964 comments Nancy wrote: "Russell wrote: "I grit my teeth when I see stuff like this. The name started out with three misspellings - one in each of his names. Now you've gotten it down to two. The name is Edgar Allen Poe, n..."

All the more reason for people to click on "add book/author"

message 49: by Gail (new)

Gail Stygall | 1 comments I nominate Arnaldur Indridason, an Icelandic series.
Gail

message 50: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 92 comments I like the J.P Beaumont series by J.A. Jance

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.